End of an IC/Coralville Era (?)

Yes. Schwartz Fish Market here in Sheboygan sells Gulf shrimp out of Alabama. 3 different sizes.
If you have a HyVee near you try the Argentine reds or ask your monger at your market. They’re a pinkish opaque color when they’re raw instead of grey because of their wild diet. Super tasty and only $10.99/lb at my store. $10.99 ain’t bad at all for wild caught n

If you have a HyVee near you try the Argentine reds or ask your monger at your market. They’re a pinkish opaque color when they’re raw instead of grey because of their wild diet. Super tasty and only $10.99/lb at my store. $10.99 ain’t bad at all for wild caught n
I know there's some in the Green Bay area which is about a hour from where he lives

Have not seen reds around here. No hyvee’s. I will get some in Iowa City on Utah game day. I have gotten reds down south. Good stuff.

Have not seen reds around here. No hyvee’s. I will get some in Iowa City on Utah game day. I have gotten reds down south. Good stuff.
$10.99/lb and they’re sold at the IC HyVees. Just looked on the app. Don’t let the color fool you, they look cooked but they’re raw.

image.png

It takes a lot of work to run any size restaurant. Then you throw in a pandemic, inflation, outdated buildings, changing consumer habits, grubhub. It all takes a toll.

All three of my kids (25,23 and 19) hate everything about a restaurant experience, even when they know they're not on the line for the bill. They don't like waiting for a table, waiting for the meal, hanging around "old people", waiting for others to finish eating.

The highway 151 corridor between Dubuque amd Platteville used to be supper club heaven. Even twenty years ago you could have had your choice of at least a dozen. Lord knows how many existed in the sixties and seventies. Now you have four. 3 Mile House, Kall Inn (which was closed for years until the former 3 Mile owners came out of retirement and revved it up again), Country Heights, and the Village Bar. And that's about it. Dickeyville used to have Muller's, Valentine's, and the Dug Out. Sadly they're all memories.

My wife worked in food sales for nearly sixteen years, getting out in 2016. She got out while the getting was good. I can only imagine the bickering that goes on today between sales reps and restaurant managers/chefs/owners over rising food costs.
Couple of my kids used to work at the red top. I preferred the 3 Mile, but last time i was there they were playing games with the final bill and it just soured me on it.

If i need a break from grilling out (a rare occurrence) we just head to Los Aztecas and spend about $40 for two people including a drink and tip.

I do remember iowa river and power. Had my graduation dinner there. Went there about 10 years later with a group of co workers while were in town for a conference. One of my coworkers was chatting up the waitress who was a vegetarian. He had a way with ladies, as they say, but he kinda killed the deal when he ordered a rare steak. I mean, if you are gonna work at that place, you will be delivering red meat!

Couple of my kids used to work at the red top. I preferred the 3 Mile, but last time i was there they were playing games with the final bill and it just soured me on it.

If i need a break from grilling out (a rare occurrence) we just head to Los Aztecas and spend about $40 for two people including a drink and tip.

I do remember iowa river and power. Had my graduation dinner there. Went there about 10 years later with a group of co workers while were in town for a conference. One of my coworkers was chatting up the waitress who was a vegetarian. He had a way with ladies, as they say, but he kinda killed the deal when he ordered a rare steak. I mean, if you are gonna work at that place, you will be delivering red meat!
Los Aztecas on Dodge Street is OK, not great. I prefer Las Palmas in Platteville or the Las Aztecas near Culver's off the Northwest Arterial, which ironically is part of the Las Palmas family (they use authentic tortilla shells)

Red Top was functional. I loved the old Elmo Club outside of Cuba City. Had the best salad bar on top of the whole supper club experience.

Now Country Heights or Louisburg Junction (one I forgot about in my previous post) probably have the best salad bars. But Kall Inn, revved up about three years ago by the couple that used ro run Three Mile, probably has the best food. Village Bar probably second best.

We were once invited to a Cinco de Mayo celebration on a horse farm outside Galena which employed many ethnic farm hands. It was an authentic Mexican food experience. It was the Americans that came along and spiced up authentic Mexican cuisine.

You’re 76 for God’s sake.

You’re a member of the Midwest WASP demographic who probably came of age in supper clubs with carpet on the walls and amber ashtrays on every table, having Windsor cokes with your Camel lights and chicken oscar every Friday night, likely followed up with a key party at your friend’s trendy-at-the-time split level. I can smell the English Leather and cigarettes now.

Why mention that? Because those times are gone, friendo. The world has passed you by, just like it’ll pass me by some day.

Dining out sucks. The entire experience sucks.
I think you are describing the situation from a local and small sample. Have you been to Mike Jordan's place? Any Smith & Wollenski, or Ruth Christ? 801 Steak and Chop Shop in DSM more locally.

What's wrong with dressing up, like a white formal dinner jacket with a real bowtie, going to a luxurious restaurant and having a nice $500 meal? Although now it's down to just a black suit. That sounds like a better night out than drinking overpriced beer, wearing ill fitting "skinny" pants in a noisy craft brewery, where the hipsters think they're au courant by drinking craft beer when three beers in they cannot taste the difference anyway.

We didn't smoke Camel Lights; those are for sissies and women. Camels and Lucky's-no filters. We'd bust out the Monte Christos for a big celebration. We also drank quality aged whiskey or upscale vodka-certainly nothing out of the well.

Iowa City is a small college town. Traditional formal and fine dining are a product of class, affluence and taste. Restaurants are expensive to operate, and God knows food is extraordinarily expensive today. It's easy to see a little college town would have insufficient population, and affluence, to support fine dining restaurants. College students aren't known for affluence, or good taste.

Fryowa, I think you'll love this story.

After graduation I did a brief stint with FritoLay as a route sales guy prior to becoming a key account manager. The 'burg was on my route once a week. The first day I called on them I parked in back, walked up to the back door and grabbed the knob. My hand quite literally slipped off because it was so greasy! LOL.

I'd done many a hangover breakfast there...but that day gave me a new perspective.

What's wrong with dressing up, like a white formal dinner jacket with a real bowtie, going to a luxurious restaurant and having a nice $500 meal? Although now it's down to just a black suit. That sounds like a better night out than drinking overpriced beer, wearing ill fitting "skinny" pants in a noisy craft brewery, where the hipsters think they're au courant by drinking craft beer when three beers in they cannot taste the difference anyway.​
Dressing up is even dumber than eating out. What do expensive clothes prove other than you wasted a bunch of money for nothing? Jeans, sneakers, a black t-shirt and possibly a hoodie if it’s winter time are practical, all you need, and don’t broadcast to the world that you’re completely full of yourself like some dickwad wearing a bow tie.

Wearing a suit or dress pants to anything not called a wedding or funeral is like when people put big spoilers on their Honda Civic or huge rims on their jacked up F-150, it just radiates douchebaggery.

And lest you confuse me with a “hipster,” I don’t drink beer or any other booze, don’t wear skinny pants, and sure as hell would never be caught dead in a craft brewery.

Traditional formal and fine dining are a product of class, affluence and taste.
False. They’re a product of insecurity, phoniness, and miniature penises.

You really need to step up your game and work harder at this. Apply yourself.

Fryowa, I think you'll love this story.

After graduation I did a brief stint with FritoLay as a route sales guy prior to becoming a key account manager. The 'burg was on my route once a week. The first day I called on them I parked in back, walked up to the back door and grabbed the knob. My hand quite literally slipped off because it was so greasy! LOL.

I'd done many a hangover breakfast there...but that day gave me a new perspective.
They never look as glamorous at noon as they do at 1:00AM.

False. They’re a product of insecurity, phoniness, and miniature penises.

You really need to step up your game and work harder at this. Apply yourself.
I admire your pluck. People push and climb into high salary jobs for a reason, and it's not insecurity. You might be too young to realize the significance of fine dining and the other perks of busting your butt to make money.

And you ae just stating conclusions that are contrary of almost all known human experience. I'd like to more how the benefits of affluence are
insecurity, phoniness, and miniature penises
That's just reductive thinking.

But, let's get back to football.

Latest posts