End of an IC/Coralville Era (?)

You might be too young to realize the significance of fine dining and the other perks of busting your butt to make money.
Quite the contrary. I bust my butt every day.

You’re confusing, “too young to realize the significance of fine dining and the other perks” with not being so insecure that I need validation and want dearly for other people to look at me in a ridiculous suit and bow tie.

I'd like to more how the benefits of affluence are

“insecurity, phoniness, and miniature penises”
Sure.

The benefits of affluence are many; I don’t disagree with that at all. Where you’re not understanding the point (unsurprisingly) is that your need to show your affluence off (as you stated in your first post, so don’t turn it around on me) is because you need other people’s validation to fill your own insecurity and weakness. And don’t give me the excuse that you’d wear bow ties and eat $500 steaks at 801 if there were no one around.

But alas, this is America and you are totally free to be as insecure and needy for attention as you want. It’s the way it should be.

But, let's get back to football.
Weak.

Understandable, however. You do seem like the type of guy who’d engage in conversation and try to change the subject when you’re outwitted.

I’m getting strong used car salesman vibes. Not sure why I’d mention that though, you’ll never admit it.

People push and climb into high salary jobs for a reason, and it's not insecurity. You might be too young to realize the significance of fine dining and the other perks of busting your butt to make money.
Dumbest comment I've read on this site, and that's saying A LOT! I busted my ass into a high-paying job, and I don't even OWN a suit, let alone a white formal jacket and a bowtie. I absolutely hate playing dress-up.

The steaks at the fancy places aren't much better than what I can make on my own, or get at a more reasonably priced place here in Iowa City. And yes, I've had Ruth's Chris, Kincaids, and a few other non-chain ones in major cities. The "Bang for the Buck" just isn't there.

And the biggest perk of making money is providing a good life for my family and maybe retiring early enough to enjoy time with some grandkids, not pissing it away on "fine dining".

I'll disagree with Fry on one thing, I do enjoy a good craft beer every now and then. :)

Man, this thread is all over the place.

I'll throw a few things out there. I enjoy cooking. Yesterday, I had the Green Egg going all afternoon, smoking a bunch of coho and pink salmon I caught with my family off the beach on vaca a couple weeks back. Huge run of pink salmon every two years out in Puget Sound, and this was the first time my two oldest kids were able to do pretty well casting/catching without much help.

Taking the time to brine the fish, let it dry, and then smoke it (after you caught it) is something deeply satisfying, especially when you sit around to enjoy the food and relive memories together.

But restaurants can also serve as great places for people to gather and share memories too. And the best ones make you feel the love as guests.

And put me in the camp of being a pretty big fan of brew pubs. I generally love the format. Now, they vary a lot, and I'm biased at this life stage because I have kids from 3 to 11. But I think places like brew pubs represent a great aspect of eating out. The good ones tend to attract people of all ages. And they are generally vibrant, social places where people can interact. Maybe you make small talk with a stranger, maybe you see old neighbors. We need more of that in our society right now. These are the kind of places in the past 5-10 years where older folks have typically stopped by our table and made nice comments towards my kids (probably at moments where they can tell my wife and I have our hands full).

And this can vary, but I think a lot of the better brew pubs have some of the best food you'll find in eating out. I like that the menus are often conducive to trying different things and sharing. And usually flavorful with some local items. Again, this isn't true across the board, but I don't think it is uncommon.

Also, I love beer. The staff usually takes pride in it and is pretty knowledgeable too. We do a lot of hiking and mini road trips, and will often stop for food on the way home. I've noticed brew pubs (or other family friendly pubs) often seem to be the main gathering spot or attraction in town.

Anybody see where Nate Koeding and his crew bought out Hamburg Inn 2?
Yep, @Seth53 just posted a link a few posts up.

Great news all around. Everything I heard about the previous owner was that he was a piece of work. Also, Doug Goettsch (part of that Kaeding crew) has known the Panther family (the original owners) for ages. They all seem excited to restore it to its former glory, for lack of a better word.

Hell, my mom worked there as a waitress when she was 16. That was many moons ago...

Dumbest comment I've read on this site, and that's saying A LOT! I busted my ass into a high-paying job, and I don't even OWN a suit, let alone a white formal jacket and a bowtie. I absolutely hate playing dress-up.

The steaks at the fancy places aren't much better than what I can make on my own, or get at a more reasonably priced place here in Iowa City. And yes, I've had Ruth's Chris, Kincaids, and a few other non-chain ones in major cities. The "Bang for the Buck" just isn't there.

And the biggest perk of making money is providing a good life for my family and maybe retiring early enough to enjoy time with some grandkids, not pissing it away on "fine dining".

I'll disagree with Fry on one thing, I do enjoy a good craft beer every now and then. :)
Why would you want to make you own steaks? That's why there are restaurants called "steak houses". You've obviously never been to Mike Jordans, Smith and Wollensky or any other high caliber steakhouse. You aren't making those steaks on the back yard grill either-unless you've spent your entire life learning how to perfect the cooking of steaks.

I'm describing the "good life." But it is subjective, and you can have a different definition. That guy above did not deserve a personal attack like your "WASP" comment and the ridicule and the stereotyped bigotry that followed. In the words of your generation, you do you and let me do me.

...and get back to Iowa football.​

$10.99/lb and they’re sold at the IC HyVees. Just looked on the app. Don’t let the color fool you, they look cooked but they’re raw.

View attachment 10228
Small market towns get the shaft. Same product at my Keokuk HyVee 12.59/lb. One of my fatboy favorite IPA's, VooDoo Ranger Imperial IPA is 4 bucks a 12 pack cheaper 38 miles away in Illinois store. They really stick it to small town folks cause they can.

Los Aztecas on Dodge Street is OK, not great. I prefer Las Palmas in Platteville or the Las Aztecas near Culver's off the Northwest Arterial, which ironically is part of the Las Palmas family (they use authentic tortilla shells)

Red Top was functional. I loved the old Elmo Club outside of Cuba City. Had the best salad bar on top of the whole supper club experience.

Now Country Heights or Louisburg Junction (one I forgot about in my previous post) probably have the best salad bars. But Kall Inn, revved up about three years ago by the couple that used ro run Three Mile, probably has the best food. Village Bar probably second best.

We were once invited to a Cinco de Mayo celebration on a horse farm outside Galena which employed many ethnic farm hands. It was an authentic Mexican food experience. It was the Americans that came along and spiced up authentic Mexican cuisine.
Yeah, i have done las palmas. Never had a bad meal. I think i will head over to Kall Inn as soon as my taste buds recover. Went to a wedding. Got Covid. Had avoided it for 3 damn years. Now I can’t taste anything. Been eating ramen just for sustenance and i tried jazzing it with jalapeños and i could barely taste those.

As long as i get taste back in time for beer and nachos for game time Sept 1, i am good!

Yeah, i have done las palmas. Never had a bad meal. I think i will head over to Kall Inn as soon as my taste buds recover. Went to a wedding. Got Covid. Had avoided it for 3 damn years. Now I can’t taste anything. Been eating ramen just for sustenance and i tried jazzing it with jalapeños and i could barely taste those.

As long as i get taste back in time for beer and nachos for game time Sept 1, i am good!
Sept 2nd i mean

Small market towns get the shaft. Same product at my Keokuk HyVee 12.59/lb. One of my fatboy favorite IPA's, VooDoo Ranger Imperial IPA is 4 bucks a 12 pack cheaper 38 miles away in Illinois store. They really stick it to small town folks cause they can.
It’s 12.59 in Iowa City too

I admire your pluck. People push and climb into high salary jobs for a reason, and it's not insecurity. You might be too young to realize the significance of fine dining and the other perks of busting your butt to make money.

And you ae just stating conclusions that are contrary of almost all known human experience. I'd like to more how the benefits of affluence are

That's just reductive thinking.

But, let's get back to football.
Yep, @Seth53 just posted a link a few posts up.

Great news all around. Everything I heard about the previous owner was that he was a piece of work. Also, Doug Goettsch (part of that Kaeding crew) has known the Panther family (the original owners) for ages. They all seem excited to restore it to its former glory, for lack of a better word.

Hell, my mom worked there as a waitress when she was 16. That was many moons ago...
Yeah. The clown who had Hamburg also closed one of the all time great local/neighborhood bars next door. Replaced a small gold mine with a wine bar which is empty most of the time. Re-open Ugly’s, Nate. Please.

Yeah. The clown who had Hamburg also closed one of the all time great local/neighborhood bars next door. Replaced a small gold mine with a wine bar which is empty most of the time. Re-open Ugly’s, Nate. Please.
Wasn't it called Magoo's back in the 1980's?

College kids aren't really known for their taste and purchase priority of expensive boutique wines. That seems like a dumb marketing decision.
Considering there are nothing but dorms, Greek houses, and student apartments within a four block radius of the place yes it does.

That's why there are restaurants called "steak houses". You've obviously never been to Mike Jordans, Smith and Wollensky or any other high caliber steakhouse.

I've been to all of them. Lived in NY and Chicago for a long time. They're good, but I rarely go to any of those places on my own dime because they ain't worth it. Last time I went to S&W was Wine Week in September 2017. Wine Week is the only time I'd pay out of pocket because you can get absolutely shittrucked on good wine for like $50.

Paul Fussell made an astute observation on "fancy restaurants" and noted that a large portion of the business model is based on "prole drift." It allows proles to get all dressed up and pretend they are big shots. The Boomers absolutely loved it, why wouldn't they, they brought us TV shows like Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. But I think younger generations are pretty ambivalent to the whole charade. I'm from Coalville and know that I'm trailer trash. When I first moved to New York I was pretty self conscious about being such a brokeass prole, but as I got older I embraced it. I ain't a Vanderbilt or Rockefeller and I have no desire to act like one.

Latest posts