End of an IC/Coralville Era (?)

I grilled shrimp tonight.

Homemade coleslaw and cucumber tomato salad with cukes and tomatoes from the garden. Served three people for $16 not including a few cents for charcoal and the Old Bay and Cholula

View attachment 10213

View attachment 10215

Yum. So what did you do, just dry rub the shrimp with the Old Bay. Did you coat with Cholula and grill or just splash them with it after off the grill?

For a store bought easy to get hot sauce, I lov the Cholula. Pretty versatile and I like the taste really well. It's my go to, especially if don't want to ramp up the heat factor for the wife or kids.

Half hour wait more often than not, $100-120 minimum for four people, sitting three feet away from other people talking about shit I don’t want to hear, food I can make better at home while enjoying cooking it…

You haven’t convinced me…
Where are you eating that has a 30 minute wait? I honestly can't remember the last time I had to wait more than 10 minutes to be seated anywhere in Iowa City.

Yum. So what did you do, just dry rub the shrimp with the Old Bay. Did you coat with Cholula and grill or just splash them with it after off the grill?

For a store bought easy to get hot sauce, I lov the Cholula. Pretty versatile and I like the taste really well. It's my go to, especially if don't want to ramp up the heat factor for the wife or kids.
I thaw the shrimp in cold water, dry them as much as I can.

Toss them in a bowl with a little canola oil, and then right in that same bowl I hit them with a healthy dose of both Old Bay and Cholula. If I'm grilling them right away I also squeeze a bunch of lime juice on them as well. If your shrimp have to hang out in the fridge for a while before you grill, do NOT add the lime juice yet. Citrus cooks shellfish and turns it into a mushy mess within about 20 mins. Lime juice is how you actually cook shrimp for ceviche, it denatures the protein in the meat.

Skewer 'em up and put them right over ripping hot coals, as hot as you can get them. I sprinkle more Old Bay at this point because a lot gets "washed" off and left in the bowl. 60 seconds on each side and get them off. Over cooked shrimp should be a felony.

Toss them in a bowl with a little canola oil, and then right in that same bowl I hit them with a healthy dose of both Old Bay and Cholula. If I'm grilling them right away I also squeeze a bunch of lime juice on them as well. If your shrimp have to hang out in the fridge for a while before you grill, do NOT add the lime juice yet. Citrus cooks shellfish and turns it into a mushy mess within about 20 mins. Lime juice is how you actually cook shrimp for ceviche, it denatures the protein in the meat.

Skewer 'em up and put them right over ripping hot coals, as hot as you can get them. I sprinkle more Old Bay at this point because a lot gets "washed" off and left in the bowl. 60 seconds on each side and get them off. Over cooked shrimp should be a felony.
No chit. Didn't know that.

What is the source of the shrimp you cook?

Cooking is OK. I do it when I need to or when I have time.

After a 50-hour work week, etc., it's the last thing I want to do.

Nice to walk in, sit down and be waited on.

Let someone else clean up and wipe down after.

I grilled shrimp tonight.

Homemade coleslaw and cucumber tomato salad with cukes and tomatoes from the garden. Served three people for $16 not including a few cents for charcoal and the Old Bay and Cholula

View attachment 10213

View attachment 10215
We're producing garden tomatoes right now like Iowa produces tight ends. We canned about a dozen jars of salsa earlier this week (with the wifey doing most of it)

Absolutely hate dining out, it’s the worst of all experiences rolled into one. I can make most anything you get in a restaurant better for an eighth of the price, and so can just about anyone else who likes to cook.

Why in gods name would anyone want to pay $40-50 a plate total just to wait a half hour to get seated in a crowd and listen to 15 dumb conversations at once, have a server who’s faking being nice to you and just hates his/her job and wants to go home that you have to tip $10 on top of it?

Restaurants suck and there’s a reason that nowadays there are so much fewer of them. It’s a dogshit experience that costs a ridiculous amount of money.
Because it’s fun? Take your wife on a date? Eat something better than ya can make yourself? Oh, I dont know - you’re probably right….what have I been thinking all these years

Because it’s fun? Take your wife on a date? Eat something better than ya can make yourself? Oh, I dont know - you’re probably right….what have I been thinking all these years
It’s not fun to me.

Not married.

I like cooking and I like my food better.

Next…

Latest posts