End of an IC/Coralville Era (?)

I lived a couple of blocks from there as a student too but it didn't exist then. We went to the Wagon Wheel.

It takes a lot of work to run any size restaurant. Then you throw in a pandemic, inflation, outdated buildings, changing consumer habits, grubhub. It all takes a toll.

All three of my kids (25,23 and 19) hate everything about a restaurant experience, even when they know they're not on the line for the bill. They don't like waiting for a table, waiting for the meal, hanging around "old people", waiting for others to finish eating.

The highway 151 corridor between Dubuque amd Platteville used to be supper club heaven. Even twenty years ago you could have had your choice of at least a dozen. Lord knows how many existed in the sixties and seventies. Now you have four. 3 Mile House, Kall Inn (which was closed for years until the former 3 Mile owners came out of retirement and revved it up again), Country Heights, and the Village Bar. And that's about it. Dickeyville used to have Muller's, Valentine's, and the Dug Out. Sadly they're all memories.

My wife worked in food sales for nearly sixteen years, getting out in 2016. She got out while the getting was good. I can only imagine the bickering that goes on today between sales reps and restaurant managers/chefs/owners over rising food costs.

Absolutely hate dining out, it’s the worst of all experiences rolled into one. I can make most anything you get in a restaurant better for an eighth of the price, and so can just about anyone else who likes to cook.

Why in gods name would anyone want to pay $40-50 a plate total just to wait a half hour to get seated in a crowd and listen to 15 dumb conversations at once, have a server who’s faking being nice to you and just hates his/her job and wants to go home that you have to tip $10 on top of it?

Restaurants suck and there’s a reason that nowadays there are so much fewer of them. It’s a dogshit experience that costs a ridiculous amount of money.

Absolutely hate dining out, it’s the worst of all experiences rolled into one. I can make most anything you get in a restaurant better for an eighth of the price, and so can just shoot anyone else who likes to cook.

Why in gods name would anyone want to pay $40-50 a plate total just to wait a half hour to get seated in a crowd and listen to 15 dumb conversations at once, have a server who’s faking being nice to you and just hates his/her job and wants to go home that you have to tip $10 on top of it?

Restaurants suck and there’s a reason that nowadays there are so much fewer of them. It’s a dogshit experience that costs a ridiculous amount of money.
As Northside mentioned, my wife and I frequented all of those establishments. I still like going to the Village Bar for prime rib. (and an old fashion or two). It's a bit of a drive from Marion Ia. though.

Couple thoughts. I wish Iowa had those random supper clubs peppered around the rural areas instead of the chain restaurants we are inundated with in Iowa. I could do a supper club atmosphere on occasion.

But, I too could care less if I go to a restaurant for reasons stated above. It is so outrageous now.

I actually can't figure out how some of them are still staying in business. Now when driving I see a lot of parking lots with just a few scant cars. There are a couple in North Liberty that ARE ALWAYS busy, even on week nights though. There are always some of those. But the mere number of restaurants, I still don't get how some can survive.

Growing up I remember the Village Inn's of the world always being filled, parking lots always filled with cars. They always seemed to have the perfect number of customers, busy enough but not a long wait if a customer. I've been by the Village Inn in Iowa City since the pandemic and there are literally 2-4 cars in the parking lot it seem.

Good luck to the restaurateurs still trying to make a go of it, it's tough out there. The pandemic completely changed people's views about going out and the baby boomers (big restaurant fans) are getting elderly and dying off now. Restaurants had to fight this, but the larger fight is the change in attitudes and desire about "going out" now. Not sure it's going to come back any time soon.

Last edited:
When I went to the local Jimmy John's to get a reg sub and small drink a couple years ago, the bill came to $12 and some change, I figured my going to sit down restaurants was going to be pretty limited assuming a meal was going to be $35 a person. When taking a family of 4, it hits the pocketbook pretty hard.

Sure the meals are good at certain restaurants but it doesn't make it enjoyable when you realize you spent half a days wages on a family meal. The bruschetta and risotto might have been easy to swallow, but the bill isn't.

Last edited:
Absolutely hate dining out, it’s the worst of all experiences rolled into one. I can make most anything you get in a restaurant better for an eighth of the price, and so can just about anyone else who likes to cook.

Pure laziness. Many folks like to not cook. I'm no chef but I value my $ too much to spend that much on eating out. I might get a subway once in a blue moon it's not often. Those sit down fancy places like you're describing are a no bueno for me. Even if the 'experience' part was perfect I'm just not down for spending that kind of $

Where the heck are you all eating that costs $35+/plate??! Most places in the CR area don't even have an entree that costs that much.

Couple thoughts. I wish Iowa had those random supper clubs peppered around the rural areas instead of the chain restaurants we are inundated with in Iowa. I could do a supper club atmosphere on occasion.

But, I too could care less if I go to a restaurant for reasons stated above. It is so outrageous now.

I actually can't figure out how some of them are still staying in business. Now when driving I see a lot of parking lots with just a few scant cars. There are a couple in North Liberty that ARE ALWAYS busy, even on week nights though. There are always some of those. But the mere number of restaurants, I still don't get how some can survive.

Growing up I remember the Village Inn's of the world always being filled, parking lots always filled with cars. They always seemed to have the perfect number of customers, busy enough but not a long wait if a customer. I've been by the Village Inn in Iowa City since the pandemic and there are literally 2-4 cars in the parking lot it seem.

Good luck to the restaurateurs still trying to make a go of it, it's tough out there. The pandemic completely changed people's views about going out and the baby boomers (big restaurant fans) are getting elderly and dying off now. Restaurants had to fight this, but the larger fight is the change in attitudes and desire about "going out" now. Not sure it's going to come back any time soon.

There is always Perkins

Restaurants are only busy now due to the craft beer fad with young professionals. They don’t order entrees. They order apps and love to sample random craft beers several nights per week. And when it comes to iowa city/coral/nl…you find all the yawner chains or you find these craft beer places that sell a million ways to make a burger or mac n cheese. And burgers are overpriced. They bring in the same type of restaurant over and over and never the underserved areas. No seafood to speak of. IRP was the last man standing to serve a steak/provide svc and atmosphere. Also, lack of quality Chinese. How is there not a pf changs in the corridor?

Where the heck are you all eating that costs $35+/plate??! Most places in the CR area don't even have an entree that costs that much.
At the places that are worth eating at. IE: not the burger/craft beer joints that are a dime a dozen. Josephs, IRP, orchard green, iowa chop are the only ones I’ve found on gameday that sells anything near quality food north of burgers. And you are looking at $35 and above. I’m ok with longhorn occasionally but horrible parking, usually crowded and svc is a coinflip. They like moving you in and out. And I don’t count the roadhouse as a quality alternative. That’s for the poors.

Went to many a FB weekend brunch there. Lived a couple blocks from there as a student.
Sounds like the plan is to renovate and then attract another restauranteur. It’s way too valuable a space not to be occupied by a traditional supper club. It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if there is already a tenant in mind. Just have to hope it doesn’t turn into another in a long line of craft beer/burger/mac n cheese places that are stacked all over the corridor

Just bought 2 singles with cheddar and the works including double grilled onions
and medium vanilla and strawberry shake from Culvers for my son and I...

$18

I remember actually going to McDonalds and getting enough to satisfy 2 teens, my girlfriend and
myself for $1, No Hollar

Of course, I, attempting to appear to be a big spender, opted for the 19 cent cheeseburgers

1691527386829.png

Damn

Last edited:
At the places that are worth eating at. IE: not the burger/craft beer joints that are a dime a dozen. Josephs, IRP, orchard green, iowa chop are the only ones I’ve found on gameday that sells anything near quality food north of burgers. And you are looking at $35 and above. I’m ok with longhorn occasionally but horrible parking, usually crowded and svc is a coinflip. They like moving you in and out. And I don’t count the roadhouse as a quality alternative. That’s for the poors.

I guess I'm one of the poors because I love me some Texas Roadhouse. The choices for fine dining are pretty slim, but we rarely get a chance to eat at one of them anyways. This market in this area is definitely too saturated with burger/craft beer joints. I don't care for most of them. They all offer pretty much the same thing and none really stand out from the rest.

There are plenty of average and crappy restaurants, but also some pretty good ones. If it's not your thing, don't go out. But the idea of dining as a ritual, celebration, call it what you will...goes back thousands of years. Sometimes it's just nice to have a drink, chill out and let someone else cook for you. Our rule of thumb is, if I can make it at home as good or better....pass.

Somewhat related, this is an interesting read. The movie that came after was pretty weak, try the book. The connection between the change in American's eating habits and the rise of our automobile-centric culture is quite interesting.

https://www.amazon.com/Fast-Food-Nation-Eric-Schlosser-audiobook/dp/B00005AAQB/ref=sr_1_1?crid=26UTN4NRW9GCK&keywords=fast+food+nation&qid=1691544188&sprefix=fast+food+nation,aps,157&sr=8-1

Evidently you have never been to the Lark in Tiffin back in the day. I have never in my 76 years been exposed to such drivel. No wonder this website is going down the tubes. You sir are a bombastic fool.

Evidently you have never been to the Lark in Tiffin back in the day. I have never in my 76 years been exposed to such drivel. No wonder this website is going down the tubes. You sir are a bombastic fool.
You’re 76 for God’s sake.

You’re a member of the Midwest WASP demographic who probably came of age in supper clubs with carpet on the walls and amber ashtrays on every table, having Windsor cokes with your Camel lights and chicken oscar every Friday night, likely followed up with a key party at your friend’s trendy-at-the-time split level. I can smell the English Leather and cigarettes now.

Why mention that? Because those times are gone, friendo. The world has passed you by, just like it’ll pass me by some day.

Dining out sucks. The entire experience sucks.

Restaurants are only busy now due to the craft beer fad with young professionals. They don’t order entrees. They order apps and love to sample random craft beers several nights per week. And when it comes to iowa city/coral/nl…you find all the yawner chains or you find these craft beer places that sell a million ways to make a burger or mac n cheese. And burgers are overpriced. They bring in the same type of restaurant over and over and never the underserved areas. No seafood to speak of. IRP was the last man standing to serve a steak/provide svc and atmosphere. Also, lack of quality Chinese. How is there not a pf changs in the corridor?

Craft beer is in a major bubble. Once the Millennial kids realize that their obesity is caused in no small part by craft beer they will cut way back. I lost 40 pounds when I quit drinking those double IPAs. One of our big craft beer places in town went out of business a few weeks ago and based on how many there are I can't think they will be the last to go under.