Don't Dismiss the B.J. Armstrong Talk

From what I have heard, BJ is interested in genuinely helping the program, and I dont think he has ruled anything out. But I don't have all of that information, only knowing he has interest in the Iowa basketball program and has told that to some folks

How about we get Bruce Pearl, and then BJ can be some sort of assistant, recruiter, or heck.....he probably still looks like he's 12. Just give him a jersey and let him shoot it.:)

Really Jon?? Is it absolutely necessary to sell me on an idea that I was completely against. If this is true... and B.J. has a plan to overcome his lack of experience. I would be all for it! I love B.J. and I think he would definitely breathe some life into it. But WOW! I wouldn't have expected this post from you in a million years.

HE DID NOT SAY that he thinks BJ will be the coach or the BEST coach........please read the entire post.

I spoke with someone tonight whom I have a very, very good relationship that goes back a looong way. I trust this person explicitly.

Explicitly? :eek:

Pronunciation: \ik-ˈspli-sət\
Function: adjective
Etymology: French or Medieval Latin; French explicite, from Medieval Latin explicitus, from Latin, past participle of explicare
Date: 1607

1 a : fully revealed or expressed without vagueness, implication, or ambiguity : leaving no question as to meaning or intent <explicit instructions>
3 : unambiguous in expression

Etymology: French or Medieval Latin; French explicite, from Medieval Latin explicitus, from Latin, past participle of explicare

1 a : fully revealed or expressed without vagueness, implication, or ambiguity : leaving no question as to meaning or intent <explicit instructions>

MOST impressive post EVER....especially in the 2 min. it took.:eek:

I tried to watch B.J. Armstrong as an analyst on espn and it was painful. His thoughts on the games were almost disconnected, and it made me think he and I werent watching the same game! I dont think the program needs someone with fan popularity to save it, we need a solid PROVEN coach who teaches defense and gets the offense up and down the floor with a purpose. Hes a great hawkeye, and always one of my favorite players, but not the coach the hawks need. IMO

Outside of being a head coach or asst coach, what could he do (thats legal) to help the program?

Just being honest, theres only so much he can do.

If he could bring in a proven Xs and Os asst like Jon has indicated would be the plan as well as a proven recruiter, I would be open to this. I was not excited about this at all as an option before Jon's post. It would depend a lot on the staff he is able to put together. What role would his current employment play in all of this? What would the NCAA have to say about his being an NBA Agent turned HC, if anything?

I spoke with someone tonight whom I have a very, very good relationship that goes back a looong way. I trust this person explicitly.

This source has strong historical ties to the Iowa basketball program.

He has spoken with several people the last day or so that have told him that B.J. Armstrong is interested in the job...mostly, B.J. is interested in helping Iowa get turned back around. He would absolutely listen to Gary Barta if he called, and he wants Barta to call him...

B.J. is a resource that is there, if he gets contacted..based on his experience as a scout, he has great networks with top AAU and high school people across the country. Because of that he can recruit as a head coach similar to some of the bigger names I have shared previously.

According to my source, he would establish a great x's & o's staff, as well as a strong recruiting staff. I have heard one of the names that BJ would bring in as a staff member, and I have seen this guy's name thrown out on the boards not only for this search, but for the search three years ago. This person has been a head coach before and has NBA experience, but is now an assistant coach at a major conference program.

I will admit that all of this surprised me a bit, but I would not be posting it if I did not think it was legit. It sounds like all Barta has to do is to make a call and he and BJ can have a very interesting discussion...at worst, BJ is willing to help breath life back into the program at one level or another. More on this, and all twists and turns, as I hear them.

Wow. Bad idea.

I tried to watch B.J. Armstrong as an analyst on espn and it was painful. His thoughts on the games were almost disconnected, and it made me think he and I werent watching the same game! I dont think the program needs someone with fan popularity to save it, we need a solid PROVEN coach who teaches defense and gets the offense up and down the floor with a purpose. Hes a great hawkeye, and always one of my favorite players, but not the coach the hawks need. IMO

Live TV, live radio, is not for everyone. Not hardly. Not saying that because I do those things, but I've seen hundreds of people in college think that is what they wanted to do, only to change majors after their changed their drawers one the lights turned on

NOT . . . A . . . (wait for it) . . . CHANCE

I love BJ, but what sized stones would it take for Barta to make this call, particularly after the last hire? They would have to be so huge that Barta would need an assistant following behind him with a two-wheeled cart just so he could walk down the hall to pour himself some coffee in the morning.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Jon. Much appreciated.

I don't know what to think about all of this. The thought of B.J. back in the program in any capacity just excites the hell out of me. He is still my all time favorite Hawkeye. But I don't know how I feel about him being the head coach. He would have to assemble an absolutely knock out staff. That's for sure.

And it doesn't matter if todays players remember BJ. They will recognize his rings. They will know his NBA connections. Not to mention, BJ is an absolutely dynamite communicator. We will be lights out in recruiting.

It's an interesting idea. Heck of a Gamble for Barta though(see what I did there):)

I've come to the conclusion that half of all posters don't actually read the threads they respond to. Nobody has said B.J. will be the next Iowa coach or even that he should be the next Iowa coach.

Anyway, wasn't B.J. involved with the last coaching search? I swear he was consulted (at least initially) by Barta and co. I would assume that what Jon is hearing will most likely turn into the same type of arrangement. B.J. will give his opinions on certain coaches and then go back to making a bunch of money. If he wants to come on as an assistant or in some other role, I certainly wouldn't be opposed, however.

Yes, I was Jon's middle school language arts teacher. I take full credit (for his strengths in using the Engfish Langwich).

I am proud of you, Jon.

Mr. Calkins said:
Next spelling word: Chautauqua.

Last edited:
Well I am sure Barta and BJ WILL be talking as BJ served on the search committee that brought Coach Lickliter to Iowa. BJ as our head coach would be a giant leap of faith. Giant. If BJ wants to help the program how about he donates a cool million to get that practice facility completed.

But this certainly makes you think doesn't it?

Latest posts