Don't Dismiss the B.J. Armstrong Talk

According to my source, he would establish a great x's & o's staff, as well as a strong recruiting staff. I have heard one of the names that BJ would bring in as a staff member, and I have seen this guy's name thrown out on the boards not only for this search, but for the search three years ago. This person has been a head coach before and has NBA experience, but is now an assistant coach at a major conference program.

So BJ (who I absolutely adore) would bring in Steve Forbes to be his co-pilot. BJ comes home and energizes the fan base like crazy. He's our superhero...Shoeshine boy taking his Underdog Energy Vitamin Pill and BAM!... Recruiting really starts cooking, great style of basketball returns to Carver Hawkeye....then when the program is back on it's feet and fans have returned in their minds (I don't think their hearts ever left), BJ turns over the reigns to Steve and Steve proceeds to be our coach for many years to come and we love him. Am I close?

I've come to the conclusion that half of all posters don't actually read the threads they respond to. Nobody has said B.J. will be the next Iowa coach or even that he should be the next Iowa coach.

I read the entire post, too. However, without reading an implication into the post that there is a (slight) chance that BJ will be the next head coach, the post is devoid of any purpose. Further, the title "Don't Dismiss the B.J. Armstrong Talk" corroborates the OP's intent for the reader to infer that there is a possibility that BJ Armstrong will be the next head coach.

So you think he would consider accepting a job at Iowa to recruit, and only recruit?

Don't see it at all.

Me either.
I'd love to see BJ back in some form with Iowa. He's done some really great things since he left Iowa City. I just don't know that they'd prepare him to take over a D1 basketball program at the top level.

I woud love to see BJ come back intot he program in some capacity. I could see him as an assistant but not a HC right away. His connections would be a big perk for Iowa and could possibly land some nice recruits. Iowa BB needs to bring the past back in and embrace it.

This is just the 1st of many rumors that come from incredibly reliable sources that we will hear about over the next couple weeks that dont carry much weight.

Its easy for BJ to talk about coming back to Iowa in the heat of the moment, its another to give up his current gig and lifestyle.

The coaching search speculation is a lot of fun but its also tiring

I read the entire post, too. However, without reading an implication into the post that there is a (slight) chance that BJ will be the next head coach, the post is devoid of any purpose. Further, the title "Don't Dismiss the B.J. Armstrong Talk" corroborates the OP's intent for the reader to infer that there is a possibility that BJ Armstrong will be the next head coach.

I posted pearl is my number one. He still is. He is also a longshot. I would also consider this to be in the longshot category. As will most of the talk you read or hear over the next two weeks or however long it takes, just like last time

Some of you may not have the stomach for coaching searches. That is fine, but it won't stop me from passin along some of the things I hear from what I deem to be credible sources

I posted pearl is my number one. He still is. He is also a longshot. I would also consider this to be in the longshot category. As will most of the talk you read or hear over the next two weeks or however long it takes, just like last time

Some of you may not have the stomach for coaching searches. That is fine, but it won't stop me from passin along some of the things I hear from what I deem to be credible sources

Jon

Would you consider any of these guys as long shots?

Buzz Williams
Jay Wright
Josh Pastner
The guy from Pitt (sorry forgot his name)

?

I just want to be clear...

Can you clarify that your original post was referring to BJ being interested in the head coaching job and not just as an assistant?

[QUOTE
Some of you may not have the stomach for coaching searches. That is fine, but it won't stop me from passin along some of the things I hear from what I deem to be credible sources[/QUOTE]

Good.

Are there any (many) examples of head coaches who perform the kind of tasks Armstrong might and turn the day to day of practice and even game calls? I imagine that it happens more often with the corporate sized operations of football.

BJ will not be the next coach and I have NO sources.

Barta will not put his job on the line with a coach that has NO experience.

This.

I read Jon's entire post. I appreciate that BJ may be interested in being head coach. But that doesn't mean Iowa's interested. It would be insane, in my opinion, with all due respect (huge respect) to BJ.

This.

I read Jon's entire post. I appreciate that BJ may be interested in being head coach. But that doesn't mean Iowa's interested. It would be insane, in my opinion, with all due respect (huge respect) to BJ.

that's what she said.

Anybody that cannot stomach watching the search for the Iowa basketball coach needs to seriously reevaluate his or her life.

Anybody that has spent any significant amount of time on the board can generally discern which rumors are credible and which are not based upon the posting party. Further, even if the possibility raised in the post does not come to fruition does not mean that the post was inaccurate in any way (provided the post mentions something as a possibility and not a fact).

Everyone on this finds some sort of value in the speculation, whether it be entertainment or otherwise, or would not spend their time here. Therefore, bring on the info.

Keep it up Jon! tell us anything you got! When it comes to BJ ............. what Alford was a better hire because he knows more about the game of basketball than Armstrong ....I will be honest I love the internet but these Iowa sites are getting really hard to stop on. All you professionals with your spot on opinions

Latest posts