Cord Cutters Feedback Wanted for watching Hawkeye Football Games

I don't have any lag. Boots up fast and the guide responds fast as well as the shows. Again, make sure your internet and router are up to par.

Any instance I've used it to watch live sports, there has been a delay versus live. I have heard this from other people as well. I'm sure I don't have the fastest internet on the planet, but I have 50 mbps, which should be plenty fast to stream.

As far as the cost per month difference, yeah it is worth it, if it means I can watch the Cards and Hawks live versus with a delay.

There is almost always a lag with streaming. A stream has to undergo some extra video transcoding steps and then go out over the Internet, so there will always be a delay.

https://venturebeat.com/2017/05/22/...agging-behind-real-time-sports-tv-broadcasts/

https://www.boxcast.com/blog/this-is-why-your-live-stream-lags

It doesn't really both me that much, as I tend to stay off social media when watching games anyway. And most of the time I DVR them and start watching about 30 minutes in so I can fast-forward through commercials. :)

Any instance I've used it to watch live sports, there has been a delay versus live. I have heard this from other people as well. I'm sure I don't have the fastest internet on the planet, but I have 50 mbps, which should be plenty fast to stream.

As far as the cost per month difference, yeah it is worth it, if it means I can watch the Cards and Hawks live versus with a delay.

Easy solution. Get a text, count to 30, then read the text. Whammo you are right on schedule! :)

Me personally I don't like being distracted from the game, so I'm not texting during the game so the 30 second delay doesn't affect me in any way.

Easy solution. Get a text, count to 30, then read the text. Whammo you are right on schedule! :)

Me personally I don't like being distracted from the game, so I'm not texting during the game so the 30 second delay doesn't affect me in any way.

I hear you, it's dumb. And I do sometimes turn my phone over and ignore it, when it buzzes, when there's a chance it could ruin something for me. But I do browse twitter a lot during football games in the fall, mostly to get updates from local journalists about things not being reported by the telecast and I don't want to accidentally find out something before I see it on tv. I do love how clean and mobile it is though. I love that I can grab a tv and the firestick and throw it out on the deck to watch a game, without a bunch of cords.

Are you saying your viewing is interrupted with delays when watching, like stall outs or are you referring to the live event not starting EXACTLY when would start on cable or satellite?

50 is prob right on the edge. If you don't have the most up-to-date router, that might have an effect as well.

Are you saying your viewing is interrupted with delays when watching, like stall outs or are you referring to the live event not starting EXACTLY when would start on cable or satellite?

50 is prob right on the edge. If you don't have the most up-to-date router, that might have an effect as well.

It's not interrupted due to buffering or stall outs as you say. It's literally 30-45 seconds behind the live event as you would watch it on Dish or any cable broadcast. If I was watching a Hawkeye game on the Firestick right next to my TV, with the same game on Dish, it would be 30-45 seconds behind. I've never had any buffering or download problems with my current internet speed and that's with 7-8 devices connected nightly. So it's not the speed.

It's not interrupted due to buffering or stall outs as you say. It's literally 30-45 seconds behind the live event as you would watch it on Dish or any cable broadcast. If I was watching a Hawkeye game on the Firestick right next to my TV, with the same game on Dish, it would be 30-45 seconds behind. I've never had any buffering or download problems with my current internet speed and that's with 7-8 devices connected nightly. So it's not the speed.

Ok. Gotchya. Man, for saving $1080 a year, I'd ask my buds to not text me during the game or I wouldn't check my phone. But, that's me and to each his own. Does it just bother you internally knowing the game started 30 seconds before and you aren't actually as live as live can be? I guess that sort of thing doesn't bother me, at least not for $90 a month.

Ok. Gotchya. Man, for saving $1080 a year, I'd ask my buds to not text me during the game or I wouldn't check my phone. But, that's me and to each his own. Does it just bother you internally knowing the game started 30 seconds before and you aren't actually as live as live can be? I guess that sort of thing doesn't bother me, at least not for $90 a month.

Like I said, its dumb. Yes, it does bother me and when I move past it, I probably will pull the trigger. The cost savings are big, no doubt. Wish I could figure out a way to decrease my cell phone bill that much!

Like I said, its dumb. Yes, it does bother me and when I move past it, I probably will pull the trigger. The cost savings are big, no doubt. Wish I could figure out a way to decrease my cell phone bill that much!

My next research is going to look at Google phones. I had a guy come up from Kentucky to visit our work and he just got one and raved about it. Said you get credit back for data you don't use in a month so just pay for what you use along with other benefits. I would presume the coverage is good. It seemed to be substantially cheaper.

My next research is going to look at Google phones. I had a guy come up from Kentucky to visit our work and he just got one and raved about it. Said you get credit back for data you don't use in a month so just pay for what you use along with other benefits. I would presume the coverage is good. It seemed to be substantially cheaper.

I'm an iPhone converter. Not a fan boy, but prefer them to the android system. I also live in rural Iowa, where US Cellular is the only provider with good coverage. Their data plan options piss me off. You get to choose between 2,6, or 24GB plans. My wife and I's data history was around 7-8GB a month, so we had to bump up to their largest plan in order to not exceed their high speed data offering. It would be nice to have one in between. Plus we pay monthly for our phones. Our bill is up to $240 a month. I about pissed myself, when I saw that the other day. I have a couple options to lower it about $30 a month, but still. Anything over $200 is just stupid. And we haven't even started adding our kids to our plan yet.

I'm an iPhone converter. Not a fan boy, but prefer them to the android system. I also live in rural Iowa, where US Cellular is the only provider with good coverage. Their data plan options piss me off. You get to choose between 2,6, or 24GB plans. My wife and I's data history was around 7-8GB a month, so we had to bump up to their largest plan in order to not exceed their high speed data offering. It would be nice to have one in between. Plus we pay monthly for our phones. Our bill is up to $240 a month. I about pissed myself, when I saw that the other day. I have a couple options to lower it about $30 a month, but still. Anything over $200 is just stupid. And we haven't even started adding our kids to our plan yet.

Yes, it is redicuously expensive. We are up in the $200 and just added our two boys a few months ago. That is one of two bills that my wife agrees to take care of so I'm not completely certain of the $$. I think is around $240 though, but we don't have the 24GB plan. I think 6.

I downloaded and installed the PS Vue on ps4 yesterday and the games at night were okay, the picture wasn't quite as crisp and sharp as Diretv but not by much. I will see how the stream on the mediacom modem works on Saturday when half the neighborhood is probably multi-streaming.

Vue has a 5 day free trial

I downloaded and installed the PS Vue on ps4 yesterday and the games at night were okay, the picture wasn't quite as crisp and sharp as Diretv but not by much. I will see how the stream on the mediacom modem works on Saturday when half the neighborhood is probably multi-streaming.

Vue has a 5 day free trial

I thought the pictures were as equal or better than DTV. So close doesn't really make a difference, though.

One of the best damn benefits are ALL the cords and equipment you get to get rid of.

Might want to make sure he has availability for YouTube TV before he jumps ship. Many, many people, especially in Iowa, don't have it as an option.
True dat. I'm still paying my local cable company. After researching I got all excited and thought, I'm gonna do it. YouTube TV looks pretty sweet! Then to find out it's not available in my area.

I'm buying a fire stick today and having my friend crack it. According to him, that means I'll get netflix, hulu, redbox, movies in the theater - all live sport streams - hbo, max, amc - you name it for free for the cost of the Firestick. I have my doubts, but if what he says is true (he's used his for close to 2 years and is always bragging about being able to watch anything) it will be worth it and THEN I will cut the chord.

I'm buying a fire stick today and having my friend crack it. According to him, that means I'll get netflix, hulu, redbox, movies in the theater - all live sport streams - hbo, max, amc - you name it for free for the cost of the Firestick. I have my doubts, but if what he says is true (he's used his for close to 2 years and is always bragging about being able to watch anything) it will be worth it and THEN I will cut the chord.

I also know this is illegal, but from the sounds of it, millions of people do it - here is an article.
https://www.groundedreason.com/illegal-jailbreak-fire-stick/

True dat. I'm still paying my local cable company. After researching I got all excited and thought, I'm gonna do it. YouTube TV looks pretty sweet! Then to find out it's not available in my area.

I don't understand why it would not be available.... its an internet based / virtual service. How would location have anything to do with it (within USA).?

good move. one thing at a time. I'd be surprised if you get all of those at no additional cost though. If its true report back.

I don't understand why it would not be available.... its an internet based / virtual service. How would location have anything to do with it (within USA).?

The OTA channels in each area have broadcast monopolies that the networks grant. So as a hypothetical if you own the Channel X CBS affiliate in Paducah, KY you have some area around there where the parent CBS company out of NY has granted you an exclusive broadcast license for all the national content. The cable companies have worked all these license issues out over decades, but YouTube is doing it real time. They basically have to negotiate with every local channel for broadcast rights and that is why there are area restrictions and the rollout is taking so long.

Latest posts