Cord Cutters Feedback Wanted for watching Hawkeye Football Games

VTHawk

I am thinking of cutting the cord for cable television and using a streaming service like youtube or hulu to watch the Hawkeyes on the ESPN and Big Ten Network. Can someone out there with experience watching Hawkeye football games on streaming services let me know what they think of the service? Like, how reliable the stream is during a game or any problems not being able to stream a game and so forth?

Also with said streaming like youtube, do I have to pay extra for the Big Ten Network or does it come with the base fee?

I haven't yet been through a Hawkeyes football season with YouTube TV yet. However, the Big Ten Network does come with it. No extra package needed. So far I've had no problems streaming anything, but I guess we'll see when football season starts.

I’m interested as well. We live outside of the B1G “footprint” and the greedy assholes at Xfinity (sorry, X, you’re still the same old Comcrap to me) dropped the BTN from our lineup months ago. We’re in AZ and get the Pac-12 and mysteriously the SEC channels.

We have a Roku, then wife--at my request--got me an Amazon Firestick for my birthday. Is that the one where you can use Kodi? And if so, how does Kodi work? Is it an app you load on the Firestick?

what about Fox sports? I am just too scared to cut the chord and I have all these services you guys mention already. What would happen if my Saturday was ruined by not having the game?

Up your internet speed, sign on to YouTube TV (because get every local station) and get some Roku sticks for your TV's and be done with it. The best decision I made and I am now 3 months into it. One of those deals where I thought "Why the hell did I not do this sooner!". Best thing is getting rid of ALL the Hardware and cords that took up my closet space. I don't drop my network like I did with DirecTV as well.

It is cheaper and much more slick. Just seems much more simple. Love it. There is another very loooong thread on cable cutting so I recommend reading that over. Playstation Vue is going to up their rates in Sept. to $45 a month I think which is too much when don't offer local stations. The only advantage with Vue is they have Discovery and HGTV which I like. Not sure wifey will want to do away with HGTV. I currently still have both YouTube and Vue and is still cheaper than cable. Once YouTube gets Discover and or HGTV I will kick them to the curve.

Also, I really like the Roku channel for streaming movies and shows. I actually watch that more than I thought I would.

Oh, I don't drop programming, have any latency issues or anything like that. It's pretty solid but you will want to make sure your internet download speeds are good. Still cheaper than cable after upgraded that.

Last edited:
what about Fox sports? I am just too scared to cut the chord and I have all these services you guys mention already. What would happen if my Saturday was ruined by not having the game?

I get like every Fox station imaginable, Chicago, midwest, etc. etc.. Can catch all Cubs games and many other baseball games I've noticed. Also get FX, FXX stations. I am not missing a damn thing. I get more of the "sport" stations and sports coverage with my streaming service than I ever did with my DirecTV. Also, now that I think about it, I don't think I'm having the blackout issues I had with satellite.

I’m interested as well. We live outside of the B1G “footprint” and the greedy assholes at Xfinity (sorry, X, you’re still the same old Comcrap to me) dropped the BTN from our lineup months ago. We’re in AZ and get the Pac-12 and mysteriously the SEC channels.

Oh man, change! No reason not to at this point.

It's a breeze. See my post above. Up internet if not there yet and at least try the free week trial package. You won't turn back. I loved ripping all my shit and cables out and sending the hardware back to DirectTV. So much cleaner now.

I haven't converted yet, but have been considering. I have a Firestick and have been testing for a few months. I haven't subscribed to a streaming service yet, but I've downloaded ESPN and FoxSportsMW app and all work and have great picture. The only thing I don't like, is that there is a fairly significant lag in the stream versus watching on DISH.

For the guy asking about Kodi, we have it downloaded, but it's mostly crap. We've watched a few movies, but all you're doing is watching mostly poor quality pirated movies.

I haven't converted yet, but have been considering. I have a Firestick and have been testing for a few months. I haven't subscribed to a streaming service yet, but I've downloaded ESPN and FoxSportsMW app and all work and have great picture. The only thing I don't like, is that there is a fairly significant lag in the stream versus watching on DISH.

For the guy asking about Kodi, we have it downloaded, but it's mostly crap. We've watched a few movies, but all you're doing is watching mostly poor quality pirated movies.

I find that my stream is about 30-45 seconds behind "live TV". I guess I don't find that to be a big deal, but it is behind as it is a stream.

I find that my stream is about 30-45 seconds behind "live TV". I guess I don't find that to be a big deal, but it is behind as it is a stream.

It's really only a problem when I'm texting with buddies that are also watching, or when I'm wanting to follow along on social media and I'm finding out things before I actually see them. To me that's a deal breaker.

Up your internet speed, sign on to YouTube TV (because get every local station) and get some Roku sticks for your TV's and be done with it. The best decision I made and I am now 3 months into it. One of those deals where I thought "Why the hell did I not do this sooner!". Best thing is getting rid of ALL the Hardware and cords that took up my closet space. I don't drop my network like I did with DirecTV as well.

It is cheaper and much more slick. Just seems much more simple. Love it. There is another very loooong thread on cable cutting so I recommend reading that over. Playstation Vue is going to up their rates in Sept. to $45 a month I think which is too much when don't offer local stations. The only advantage with Vue is they have Discovery and HGTV which I like. Not sure wifey will want to do away with HGTV. I currently still have both YouTube and Vue and is still cheaper than cable. Once YouTube gets Discover and or HGTV I will kick them to the curve.

Also, I really like the Roku channel for streaming movies and shows. I actually watch that more than I thought I would.

Oh, I don't drop programming, have any latency issues or anything like that. It's pretty solid but you will want to make sure your internet download speeds are good. Still cheaper than cable after upgraded that.
Might want to make sure he has availability for YouTube TV before he jumps ship. Many, many people, especially in Iowa, don't have it as an option.

I don't have any lag. Boots up fast and the guide responds fast as well as the shows. Again, make sure your internet and router are up to par.

I've been using PS Vue for over a year and haven't had any complaints. It may not offer local channels through the app but I have my PC hooked up to my 130" projector and can just stream from abc/fox website. There's an ABC/ Fox sports app that I can download onto the Fire TV too. PS Vue isn't perfect but the wife loves HGTV and I spent $350 on amazon fire tvs (can't use youtube tv) so I'm not going to switch but a $90 monthly difference makes it a no brainer.

Thanks. I looked up Kodi, and from what i can tell, there's too much work involved versus just subscribing to Hulu Live, PSVue or YouTubeTV

Latest posts