Cook: Better Without?

MH, he is most definitely valuable. However, in all honesty....be honest; he is also part of the biggest problem we have on the perimeter. Ball handling and foot speed, particularly, laterally. And continuing to be honest, it isn't his fault. His effort is second to none on the team. He's playing out of position. But he isn't the most valuable, in my opinion.

Think about it. For the team he is. Iowa has a slew of 4 & 5 players on the team. They are very slim at guard. JB consistently hits the 3 to help open it up in the inside. It's the mere fact that Iowa is so slim at guard that makes him more valuable to the TEAM.

Last edited:
It's funny how so many people watch all these games and bitch about how bad the team it and can't see how Cook is a monstrous part of the problem. People are always distracted by flashy things.

It's ironic as hell.

^^^^ I Call BS in this. I watched this team and Cook is far from the problem.

MH, he is most definitely valuable. However, in all honesty....be honest; he is also part of the biggest problem we have on the perimeter. Ball handling and foot speed, particularly, laterally. And continuing to be honest, it isn't his fault. His effort is second to none on the team. He's playing out of position. But he isn't the most valuable, in my opinion.

Ball handling. He is in at 7 for Assit/Turnover margin. He's right in the mix of the top 14 players. #1 in 3 pointers made and tied for #1 in average per game. #1 if free throw %.

Players, on the defensive end, who wave at the opponents as they pass by, tend to disappear during crunch time, and don't have much of an outside shot...don't really contribute very often to championship caliber teams.

No big loss...he seems to be dreaming of being an NBA player...and isn't sure if Iowa is in the cards next year...good for him...nice to dream, but you get better by working at it...not dreaming. FUNDAMENTALS-HEART-EFFORT

Iowa can win 14 with or without Cook...

5656's next well thought out post will be his first. So simple minded.

I mean seriously, one also has to look at the class for that year and pool of candidates to choose from. College basketball is now a guard oriented game so the pool to be selected from is going to be tougher competition. If the BIG doesn't have that impressive of 4 or 5 players for that year, then chances are better of getting selected. There are factors.

As and Iowa fan, I like that Cook got the designation, but his games has some holes. That's all I'm saying.

I mean seriously, one also has to look at the class for that year and pool of candidates to choose from. College basketball is now a guard oriented game so the pool to be selected from is going to be tougher competition. If the BIG doesn't have that impressive of 4 or 5 players for that year, then chances are better of getting selected. There are factors.

As and Iowa fan, I like that Cook got the designation, but his games has some holes. That's all I'm saying.

Factors? Why use factors when you can just throw out mindless, blanket statements? Like "Bohannon still sucks, he didn't deserve the all freshmen team" and "Garza isn't that great because he didn't make the all freshmen team".

For the record, I don't want him to leave. I think the team will be fine with or without him, probably better with him if can get the defense better. This team sucked because of team defense, not one player, per se.

All I was pointing out is that if he were to leave, I think Iowa could find the production to get most his points back with the combination of scoring and better defense out of another or two players. May give up half a dozen pt's that Cook would have gotten, but scoring was not Iowa's problem.

The loss of one stud player on a basketball team is rarely too bad to overcome and usually turns out better than people anticipate. That said, It does not make that player not valuable. Good teams find ways to replace loss production.

Tyler Cook averaged around 15 pts a game. Is that an automatic 15 advantage for Iowa? Not when you factor in the defense that that player was playing and how they held who they guarded down. It's not an advantage if you have a player score 15 pts, but give up 20 pt's on the defensive end. So, then you have to ask yourself, how would our team do if we took out the 15 pt scorer and played player X who holds his guy to 5 pts.

So, losing one player from a team is usually never as drastic as it appears.

Again, that said, I still want Cook on this Iowa team as I think he has a high ceiling, and, he's just damn fun to watch.

Is this title clickbait or is the OP that stupid? Answer, yes.
Stupid? Might want to read the original post there guy. I clearly stated I want to keep Cook.

I was merely playing devils advocate and presenting a case why iowa COULD be better without him. I did this to see what arguments people would counter with. So far there haven’t been a ton other than the hurling insults.

^^^^ I Call BS in this. I watched this team and Cook is far from the problem.
Honestly I can say your last two posts look like BS... just hyperbole with no evidence.

I'm not even saying Tyler Cook is a bad player or person.. just sometimes when you are such a bad team and the attitudes are all around bad you need to make big changes.

It's really not that hard to understand if you think objectivily.

I should check if i Still have the games on DVR - you can come over and I can show you all the bad defensive plays or total lack of effort plays that Cook has on defense. The worst part of it.. is he could be a good defender, if he cared or was coached to.

Last edited:
Factors? Why use factors when you can just throw out mindless, blanket statements? Like "Bohannon still sucks, he didn't deserve the all freshmen team" and "Garza isn't that great because he didn't make the all freshmen team".
Exactly.

The OP I made I dug into the numbers at least to back up (my pretend) argument. As I expected I got greeted with a bunch of insults but not one real concrete argument. I may do the research and make the counter argument to my original post. Arguing with myself may be the only way to have a educated debate around here...

I can give you an actual experience that I"ve had personally and I could cite similar experiences family members had.

My junior year of high school we had a player on our team... 6'7 or 6"8... super athletic. Lots of dunks in games, avg to below avg shooter - averaged about 26 pts per game or so. He didn't play defense - everyone kissed his ass like he was god's greatest gift. Was honestly a nice kid, but yeah thats how it happened. He got a div1 scholarship (but only lasted about 1.5 years) We were around a 500 team. After he left my senior year we won 7 more games that season and had a much better team all around.. better passing, more defense. just a lot better in every area.

I'm not saying this is exactly the same, but sometimes you can get better with a big shake-up. It was also very similar because he was so exciting and athletic, and could dunk. But we knew, most of us on the team that we'd be better without him, and we were. People get tricked by flashy things.

It happens all the time.

Last edited:
Exactly.

The OP I made I dug into the numbers at least to back up (my pretend) argument. As I expected I got greeted with a bunch of insults but not one real concrete argument. I may do the research and make the counter argument to my original post. Arguing with myself may be the only way to have a educated debate around here...

It's so bad. Your op couldn't have been more clear, yet people jump to conclusions and give answers that don't even make sense in relation to the op. Do they even read it and try to comprehend before forming a rebuttal? Or do they assume they know where you're going with it, then skim it without even retaining the info? I really don't know how they can be so far off on something so simple.

Exactly.

I'd have argued with you with evidence.. but I agreed :p

I can give you an actual experience that I"ve had personally and I could cite similar experiences family members had.

My junior year of high school we had a player on our team... 6'7 or 6"8... super athletic. Lots of dunks in games, avg to below avg shooter - averaged about 26 pts per game or so. He didn't play defense - everyone kissed his ass like he was god's greatest gift. Was honestly a nice kid, but yeah thats how it happened. He got a div1 scholarship (but only lasted about 1.5 years) We were around a 500 team. After he left my senior year we won 7 more games that season and had a much better team all around.. better passing, more defense. just a lot better in every area.

I'm not saying this is exactly the same, but sometimes you can get better with a big shake-up. It was also very similar because he was so exciting and athletic, and could dunk. But we knew, most of us on the team that we'd be better without him, and we were. People get tricked by flashy things.

It happens all the time.

BINGO!! That is what I was trying to state above.

Latest posts