Cook: Better Without?

I don’t want Cook to leave at all. But he isn’t a dominant player yet by any means. His dunks are as nasty as they come, but he was absolutely non existent in OT yesterday with Mo Wagner fouled out. I was screaming at the TV for Fran to call timeout and set everything through Tyler but we just settled for 25 foot jumpers instead. Tyler turns it over way too much trying to power his way past everyone which hurts our offense. He isn’t good at knowing when to give the ball up.

As much as it would suck for him to leave and I pray he finds it in himself to stay, he’s not even 1st, 2nd or 3rd Team All Conference yet.

He is a horrible passer out of the double-team or post in general. The two areas he needs to work on his game the most is developing that mid range jumper and passing out of the post. Oh, and cutting down on turnovers.

Funny what a difference a year makes in trollville. Last year it was dumb that JBo made the all freshman team but this year Garza making it proves he isn’t that great. I haven’t looked at this list yet but I think Garza got snubbed.

Also you used to be a big fan of advanced stats, including PER. See my above post, but almost every advanced stat including PER favors Garza over Cook. Thoughts?

It shows an overall game instead of just dunks, meaning a team will get more production out of the player who plays the best overall game.

I really do not fathom how many do not see Cooks value. He is THE most important player on this team. You remove Cook and Garza starts to struggle both on offense and on the boards. Hell, if we'd have had a guard that could take his man of the dribble and get into the lane we'd have been undefeated. Yes, that is hyperbole, but you get the point.

Sorry to disappoint all who don't feel Cook that losing Cook wouldn't be that big of an issue; just saw this on another site. I've never used twitter so I can't post the tweet.

Tyler Cook on twitter.

“I have no desire to transfer to Missouri. I have nothing but love and respect for that program and the people there, but going to Mizzou was never the plan. God Bless”

I really do not fathom how many do not see Cooks value. He is THE most important player on this team. You remove Cook and Garza starts to struggle both on offense and on the boards. Hell, if we'd have had a guard that could take his man of the dribble and get into the lane we'd have been undefeated. Yes, that is hyperbole, but you get the point.

I'm going to take out the word important. The most "valuable" player on this team at the moment is Jordan Bohannon. He is the one this team could least afford to lose.

Sorry to disappoint all who don't feel Cook that losing Cook wouldn't be that big of an issue; just saw this on another site. I've never used twitter so I can't post the tweet.

Tyler Cook on twitter.

“I have no desire to transfer to Missouri. I have nothing but love and respect for that program and the people there, but going to Mizzou was never the plan. God Bless”
Again I was just providing the argument. I want to keep Cook. I’m glad you at least provided an argument as to why Cook is so valuable as opposed to others who just scream idiot.

Tyler Cook on twitter.

Cool. Good find.

Well overall it’s been an interesting thread. Nobody has really countered my OP other than by saying much else other than “Cook is our best player, you idiot”.

Iowa’s biggest issues this year were defense and turnovers, which happen to both be minuses for Tyler Cook.

Tyler Cook on twitter.

Transferring never made any sense. Tyler thinks he’s a next level player. He will enter the draft and should, it will all depend on the feedback he’s gets to determine what’s next. My guess is the NBA scouts tell him the same things we are saying. (Needs to impove defense, needs to own boards at college level, needs to improve jumper).

Because of thunderous dunks, not because of overall play. All those people voting don't look at the whole picture. Many are just as simplistic in thinking as you are.

Tyler Cook was the only player on our team that gained any votes by B1G coaches. You're saying B1G coaches are simplistic and don't look at the whole picture?

I'm going to take out the word important. The most "valuable" player on this team at the moment is Jordan Bohannon. He is the one this team could least afford to lose.

MH, he is most definitely valuable. However, in all honesty....be honest; he is also part of the biggest problem we have on the perimeter. Ball handling and foot speed, particularly, laterally. And continuing to be honest, it isn't his fault. His effort is second to none on the team. He's playing out of position. But he isn't the most valuable, in my opinion.

80s_movie_gifs_remind_us_why_these_films_were_so_great_12.gif

Do you kiss your mother with that mouth? because marty mcfly did.

Iowa is not better without Cook.

First of all his replacement would be Nunge or Kriener or Pemsl, with the front runner being Pemsl. Does anyone really want 25 minutes of Pemsl over Cook? I didnt think so.

Second, Cook improved quite a bit from his Freshman season. You could tell he worked on his free throw shooting and his outside shot, and he also worked on his dribble/drive and taking his defender to the hole. Now...all of those things still need a lot of work, a lot of his turnovers were related to charges. But he certainly works on improving his overall game.

Cooks freshman year he was a 12/5 guy, this year he was a 15/7. He's likely a 17/8 guy next year and people really think we're better off without him?

Uh, isn't that the guy in South Park that is friendly with the children?

PC Principal is super PC and would never be inappropriate with any student. His one vice, of course, is that he fell in love with his subordinate...Vice Principal Strong Woman.

Latest posts