Cook: Better Without?

I saw you post this in another thread and don’t fully understand.

2014: Play-in 11 seed (Lose Marble best player)
2015: 7 seed (Lose White best player)
2016: 7 seed (Lose Uthoff best player)

So those are two years in a row where we lost our best player and got better or at least maintained. But that’s completely different because we are talking about losing a guy early. I just simply laid out the devils advocate argument why we COULD be better without Cook.
yes. I figured you saw it. I’m simply repeating what a large minority have said on this board when Iowa is ready to lose its best player.

You have shown where Iowa “improves” in tourney seeding one year. Looks to me like your data of 1 year equals my “rarely”.

Sounds like we’re in agreement.

Edit: is Cook even the best player on Iowa?
Yes. Pretty handily.

I bet the response would be different if instead of asking, “will Iowa be better without Cook?”

one would ask, “will Iowa be better without Garza?”

Interesting. If you're evaluating raw skills, yeah. JBo doesn't have the defensive quickness needed at PG, you're right about that.

But in terms of affect on the W-L record JBo has been as important (or more) than any player on the roster.
As a coach, I can't agree with you. Bohannon's poor defense will always be a drag on the entire team defense. That's the way it works. Teams will just move the ball until they can isolate a guard on Bohannon. Break him down and get into the lane where our post defenders have to try and recover to help. The only way to hide him is in a zone defense. I've played enough man defense and coached enough man defense to know this much.

As a coach, I can't agree with you. Bohannon's poor defense will always be a drag on the entire team defense. That's the way it works. Teams will just move the ball until they can isolate a guard on Bohannon. Break him down and get into the lane where our post defenders have to try and recover to help. The only way to hide him is in a zone defense. I've played enough man defense and coached enough man defense to know this much.

Good analysis. Not one that is necessarily obvious to the casual fan. All the more reason we need some better guards to play with him, that would help "hide" his deficiencies.

I suppose you could argue he's a "wash" in that he gives up as much as he creates. But you must admit that on the offensive end, we'd be looking at a few more Ls without his shooting.

Good analysis. Not one that is necessarily obvious to the casual fan. All the more reason we need some better guards to play with him, that would help "hide" his deficiencies.

I suppose you could argue he's a "wash" in that he gives up as much as he creates. But you must admit that on the offensive end, we'd be looking at a few more Ls without his shooting.
He gives us a little more on the offensive end, than he costs us on the defensive end. But not by much. And yes, we'd have fewer wins without him because Fran has built a guard starved roster.

Absolutely guarantee that this is what happens. The uninformed will simply chalk it up to "a sophomore slump".

We have no idea how much Wieskamp can help loosen that up yet. If he and Bohannon can hit the outside shots, that will help a ton.

Fact is in basketball a team at least needs a 3 headed monster to succeed on offense. This year for Iowa it was Cook, Bohannon and Garza. That 3rd player really changes the dynamic of the offense and is what makes a team a hard guard. Having two can usually be defended quite well.

I guess that’s an argument that can be made, not one I entirely agree with. Teams double Cook only when he catches the ball in the post, I would be willing to bet those possessions don’t end in Garza baskets that often. A lot of Garza’s baskets that I recall in the last few weeks when he’s been really hot have been pick and pop plays with a guard feeding him, or strait one on one post ups.

I’ll give you that Cook garners the most attention, and that helps everyone on the floor including Garza, but I don’t think that explains everything.

They also know that passing out of the post is not one of Cook's best attributes or part of the game, so clearly, the plan is to jump a 2nd guy on him to help keep him at bay and from driving. They then know if he does have to pass it back out, the guy who helped double team can find his guy again.

I think Garza will eventually be a bit better passing out of the post, because I think he's used to it more and I think he's noticeably taller and able to see over double teams better, that most likely will come.

Cook doesn't pass a lot out of it and he has a propensity to turn the ball over, hence, why they bring another guy over.

He gives us a little more on the offensive end, than he costs us on the defensive end. But not by much. And yes, we'd have fewer wins without him because Fran has built a guard starved roster.

You really need to add in his assists on top of his points as well. Also his ability to limit turnovers pretty well. I'd venture to say that many if not most games, Bohannon has a part in 35% plus of the points. There has to be a stat out there showing this for games. It would be interesting to see who leads Iowa in this category.

I like how a lot of people can overlook Cook's flaws but can't overlook Bohannon's flaws. Kind of hypocritical if you ask me.
Who is overlooking Cook's flaws? He's a poor defender. He swallows the ball on the offensive end. The only thing hypocritical is what you choose to read and what you choose to ignore.
Here's my post - #94 in this thread. I'll highlight the part you CHOSE to ignore.
I have broken down multiple games. Cook is not the worst defender. That honor belongs to Bohannon. Cook is not a good defender, that's for sure but I don't see how anyone can blame the post players for poor defense when our back court players let everyone blow right past them, into the lane, night after night. It's hard enough guarding your own man. When you have to guard Bohannon's/Moss's/Baer's guys as well, it's a little too much to ask of anyone.

You really need to add in his assists on top of his points as well. Also his ability to limit turnovers pretty well. I'd venture to say that many if not most games, Bohannon has a part in 35% plus of the points. There has to be a stat out there showing this for games. It would be interesting to see who leads Iowa in this category.
Yeah....I know how to figure a player's contributions. Not everyone does it the same way but this is how I do it. Each assist, steal and rebound is +1. Each turnover is -1. Point totals account for their real value. That gives you a good baseline. Then you need to go game by game and break down who's responsible for points scored by the opponent, per possession. Other failings on the defensive end can be a -1 for obvious defensive breakdowns. I assign -1 point for failing to hustle back on defense after a turnover. Failing to box out that gives the other team the rebound, when that player has position and should have got the board. If you want to spend the time doing it, you can be very detailed in how you break down a player's performance.

Iowa’s baseball team is better without Cook, that’s for sure.

The Hawks have won their first two tournaments and have clinched the series at UAB with a game to go Sunday.

8-1 on the season.

Tough B1G schedule this season. Get league favorites Indiana and Michigan at home and away against Minnesota and Nebraska.

Iowa only misses on one top five preseason favorite—Maryland. Iowa is picked to finish 6th

Also on Iowa’s schedule are perennial solid Ohio State and at Illinois.