Carton Update

Just for the record, I told all you rubes he wasn’t coming to Iowa.

Now tell me about that fighting chance Iowa had.

8sckugX.gif

you had a 1-6 chance of being right, congrats, I wouldn't run off the Vegas or anything. I'll tell you this, I had no clue, and really either did you or anyone else. Iowa had a lot going for it, and still lost out. That's tough to swallow, but last season, Connor and Fran are all things that worked against it. That makes you guys right I guess, and now you all look SUPER cool and are validated for your vast wisdom on Iowa sports. How's it feel?

you had a 1-6 chance of being right, congrats, I wouldn't run off the Vegas or anything. I'll tell you this, I had no clue, and really either did you or anyone else. Iowa had a lot going for it, and still lost out. That's tough to swallow, but last season, Connor and Fran are all things that worked against it. That makes you guys right I guess, and now you all look SUPER cool and are validated for your vast wisdom on Iowa sports. How's it feel?
I gave a lot of reasons why he wouldn’t come here that actually made logical sense. That’s a whole lot more than the folks who thought Iowa had a chance gave. And a whole lot better than a 1/6 guess.

The kid was trying to be a nice guy by leading all of you on and he knew all along he wasn’t coming here. I have to ask, do you guys believe in the efficacy of essential oils and financial planners too? I get the feeling that I could sell a lot of you some swamp land in Florida.

Last edited:
I gave a lot of reasons why he wouldn’t come here that actually made logical sense. That’s a whole lot more than the folks who thought Iowa had a chance gave. And a whole lot better than a 1/6 guess.

The kid was trying to be a nice guy by leading all of you on and he knew all along he wasn’t coming here. I have to ask, do you guys believe in the efficacy of essential oils and financial planners too? I get the feeling that I could sell a lot of you a some swampland in Florida.

You're so wise Fryowa! Is the football team gonna win 6 games this year?

You're so wise Fryowa! Is the football team gonna win 6 games this year?
No clue, but I'm guessing 6.

Btw, your grandson is in jail and I need you to wire me $4,000 as soon as possible. Make sure that you don't tell anyone else what you're doing.

Serious question....when was the last time a 5 star player from Iowa played college in the state of Iowa and had any sort of nba success? Woodbury and gesell didnt exactly live up to their rankings and I dont even remember the last 5 star iowan that went to the cyclones. Was hoiberg even a 5 star recruit? I didnt think so but it's been awhile

I'm sure recruits look at barnes and paige and collision and Heinrich and lafrentz and see the overwhelming evidence that you're better off leaving the state

No clue, but I'm guessing 6.

Btw, your grandson is in jail and I need you to wire me $4,000 as soon as possible. Make sure that you don't tell anyone else what you're doing.

Is this my final warning from my CC company on how to lower my interest rates or my last chance to extend my cars warranty?

Serious question....when was the last time a 5 star player from Iowa played college in the state of Iowa and had any sort of nba success? Woodbury and gesell didnt exactly live up to their rankings and I dont even remember the last 5 star iowan that went to the cyclones. Was hoiberg even a 5 star recruit? I didnt think so but it's been awhile

I'm sure recruits look at barnes and paige and collision and Heinrich and lafrentz and see the overwhelming evidence that you're better off leaving the state

exactly, it's not really a Fran thing, it's an Iowa thing unfortunately. Up until DJ - I think Fran got every one of them he wanted. Can't say that now. I hope it's not a sign of the end, but it could be. Fran needs to dance - this year, with out fail or he should be canned. I don't have a lot of faith in either happening, but I am still going to cheer for it either way.

Perfect example of "being Iowa".....we arent going to get 5* recruits in ANY sport....once a blue moon obviously. An in-state kid wont even sign here. Tell me again about why they should? Tell me about how basketball and football can compete for and get these kids. Lets get those 3* and 4* kids in here and coach them up Fran.

IMO - enjoy the kids that want to play for Iowa, support the hell out of em and praise them up. Some kids don't want to stay home. DJ might leave, hate it, and come back. That's doubtful, but it's happened a lot in today's game. I'm not at all blaming the fans, but Iowa is a fish bowl. Last seasons terrible season brought out a lot of ugly from the home crowd. Look at how the fans treat their own in state kids? Connor who hasn't even really played any significant minute of basketball and he's already too slow and not good enough? Jbo? haha, seriously. - Pemsl, oh I am sure he can feel the love. Woody was everyone's favorite right? IMO, if you are an Iowa kid and you go to Iowa, you are just setting yourself up to not live up to expectations and fan ridicule. That's not unique at Iowa, but I don't blame kids for wanting to stay away from that. It's a tough role that hardly works out - at least here from the test studies.

Last edited:

The funny thing about some of these kids, they actually would have made Iowa a top 10 team. Paige on the team that got to 3rd in the nation before losing a bunch of close games? That's a guaranteed Big 10 championship, top 2 seed in the tourney, and practically home court advantage in Des Moines. Of Andre had Raef to help him against Kentucky we probably win. Of course we wouldn't have actually played them because we would have been a top seed, but you get the point. One thing's for sure. I won't be rooting for Carton just like I didn't root for any of them.

IMO - enjoy the kids that want to play for Iowa, support the hell out of em and praise them up. Some kids don't want to stay home. DJ might leave, hate it, and come back. That's doubtful, but it's happened a lot in today's game. I'm not at all blaming the fans, but Iowa is a fish bowl. Last seasons terrible season brought out a lot of ugly from the home crowd. Look at how the fans treat their own in state kids? Connor who hasn't even really played any significant minute of basketball and he's already too slow and not good enough? Jbo? haha, seriously. - Pemsl, oh I am sure he can feel the love. Woody was everyone's favorite right? IMO, if you are an Iowa kid and you go to Iowa, you are just setting yourself up to not live up to expectations and fan ridicule. That's not unique at Iowa, but I don't blame kids for wanting to stay away from that. It's a tough role that hardly works out - at least here from the test studies.

That had to be brutal for Woody. Turns down the blue blood to be the home town hero, the proceeds to get ripped on for 4 straight years because he's not quite good enough. If I was 3 star talent who could dunk really well, I would leave Iowa out of my top 3 too. It wouldn't end well for Carton here.

You are right to a point. But remember, the vast majority of Iowa fans support the hell out of the players and program. The malcontents who post on message boards like this one, are a small sliver of the fanbase.

The Iowa fanbase is no different from any other. The majority love the players. Those with complaints and bitching do so on message boards or social media. They make a lot of noise, but they aren't the majority.

You are right to a point. But remember, the vast majority of Iowa fans support the hell out of the players and program. The malcontents who post on message boards like this one, are a small sliver of the fanbase.

The Iowa fanbase is no different from any other. The majority love the players. Those with complaints and bitching do so on message boards or social media. They make a lot of noise, but they aren't the majority.

100%. I'm just saying - I see why a kid wouldn't want to be a part of it. There's a lot of documented hate for the local big star kids who stay home and get hammered by the fans and the local big star kids who leave that go off and become stars. It's not unique to Iowa and there are outliers, but I was just stating that I don't blame the ones who leave.

Kinda hope he has a rough year wherever he goes. Semi injury plagued. Minor not major. And then goes pro as a one and done. That way we wouldn't have missed out on much. Seriously do we look at a guy like Ricky Davis the same way we do Matt Gatens as Hawk fans? Or how we will JBo once it's all said and done for him? Who knows if he's going to be that good or have that kind of pro potential but I sure don't want him going on to have a Kirk Heinrich like college career...

exactly, it's not really a Fran thing, it's an Iowa thing unfortunately. Up until DJ - I think Fran got every one of them he wanted. Can't say that now. I hope it's not a sign of the end, but it could be. Fran needs to dance - this year, with out fail or he should be canned. I don't have a lot of faith in either happening, but I am still going to cheer for it either way.

Iowa 5 stars not breaking into the pros isn't anything new, and I definitely don't think it has anything to do with Fran. Iowa will get the kids it's always gotten. Personally, while I think our football team has the potential to be a huge step above where it is now if it weren't for mismanagement, I don't feel the same about basketball. Iowa has always gotten pretty much the same mix of players for the last 30 years...mostly white, Midwestern, nice kids who play a mean high school game but don't translate into pro ball. It's sufficient for occasional runs at the upper third of the B1G in lucky years, but other than that we're stuck with what we got. In today's day and age of one-and-doners and kids who want to be 1&D, the cream of the crop is going to gravitate towards schools who put kids in the big leagues. Our football team does that, but we just don't have a history of it in basketball. I know you think I'm totally full of shit, but take a look at this...

Stats are better than conjecture but not near as much fun...below represents the past 20 years. Now why would any player with a pro career as a realistic end goal (i.e. really good players) come to Iowa? It just doesn't make sense. One could say that they'd be just as good at Iowa or would develop better at Iowa, but come on...Iowa simply does not land top recruits, doesn't put people in the bigs, and won't be doing so in the future.

NBA.jpg

Like I said, our football team is a different story altogether and with the right AD and coach combination could be dominant, but the basketball side of things is what it is.

Last edited:
100%. I'm just saying - I see why a kid wouldn't want to be a part of it. There's a lot of documented hate for the local big star kids who stay home and get hammered by the fans and the local big star kids who leave that go off and become stars. It's not unique to Iowa and there are outliers, but I was just stating that I don't blame the ones who leave.

Every team, I mean every team in the country has a player on it that gets the heat. It's almost always the highly ranked guy that doesn't perform as well as people think they should, or the guy that had a good year as an underclassman that didn't improve as much as people thought they should.

I've seen it every year at ISU. Last year KU fans were crapping on Malik Newman during the season as hard as they do on Mizzou. I don't know what it is about some fans that just feel compelled to cling to one guy being the problem as to their team not achieving as much as they want them to. It's a weird psychological thing that I would be interested to see investigated.

The kid was trying to be a nice guy by leading all of you on and he knew all along he wasn’t coming here. I have to ask, do you guys believe in the efficacy of essential oils and financial planners too? I get the feeling that I could sell a lot of you some swamp land in Florida.

Congrats Nostradamus. I mean who could have ever guessed that Iowa wouldn't land the 5* recruit. I mean Iowa almost always lands that 5* guy when they pursue them.

Congrats Nostradamus. I mean who could have ever guessed that Iowa wouldn't land the 5* recruit. I mean Iowa almost always lands that 5* guy when they pursue them.
Instead of trying to make me sound like the stupid one for being correct, why wouldn’t you address the homers who thought he was actually going to come to Iowa instead.

You’re getting senile in your old age. If you want to flip me shit and make me look dumb it has to make sense at least. You need to apply yourself and try harder.