Carton Update

Instead of trying to make me sound like the stupid one for being correct, why wouldn’t you address the homers who thought he was actually going to come to Iowa instead.

You’re getting senile in your old age. If you want to flip me shit and make me look dumb it has to make sense at least. You need to apply yourself and try harder.

Did you also predict the San Diego Padres would not win the 2018 World Series? Thought and Hope are not the same thing

Instead of trying to make me sound like the stupid one for being correct, why wouldn’t you address the homers who thought he was actually going to come to Iowa instead.

You’re getting senile in your old age. If you want to flip me shit and make me look dumb it has to make sense at least. You need to apply yourself and try harder.

I'll go out on a HUGE limb right now and predict we don't get 5* Keion Brooks or 5* Trayce Jackson-Davis, 5* Matt Hurt, or any of the other six 5* kids that we offered in the '19 class.

I'll go out on a HUGE limb right now and predict we don't get 5* Keion Brooks or 5* Trayce Jackson-Davis, 5* Matt Hurt, or any of the other six 5* kids that we offered in the '19 class.
That’s not a huge limb, that’s a totally safe bet.

Said it before, I at least gave lots of logical reasons supporting why he wouldn't come here which, after he announced his top 3, he confirmed.
As eloquent as it is, that statement has nothing to do with your argument above.

You said homers thought he would come here. The guy replied that thought and hope are not the same thing. He's right. The homers hoped he would come here. I'm not sure anyone thought he would.

Also you gave logical reasons why he wouldn't come here. But others gave logical reasons why he would (or could). Just like 2 out of his final 3 teams can give logical reasons why he would choose them and it won't happen.

You said homers thought he would come here. The guy replied that thought and hope are not the same thing. He's right. The homers hoped he would come here. I'm not sure anyone thought he would.

Also you gave logical reasons why he wouldn't come here. But others gave logical reasons why he would (or could). Just like 2 out of his final 3 teams can give logical reasons why he would choose them and it won't happen.
I love this site.

exactly, it's not really a Fran thing, it's an Iowa thing unfortunately. Up until DJ - I think Fran got every one of them he wanted. Can't say that now. I hope it's not a sign of the end, but it could be. Fran needs to dance - this year, with out fail or he should be canned. I don't have a lot of faith in either happening, but I am still going to cheer for it either way.

I dont think Fran is completely off the hook here. He went all in on Carton and came up short. Its kinda like Tyler Ulis all over again.

There are some factors working against Fran and Iowa...Bohannon will be a starting guard for 2 more years, Fran's son is a PG with 4 more years of eligibility. If I'm a 2019 PG recruit and I look at Iowa, I know I'm probably not starting my freshman year, and then once Bohannon graduates I have to beat out the coach's son for playing time for the next 2 years. Is that really something I want to deal with? Or would I be better off going to a school where the coach's kids aren't on the team and a history of sending players to the NBA. To be honest, it seems pretty obvious why he crossed Iowa off the list.

I dont think Fran is completely off the hook here. He went all in on Carton and came up short. Its kinda like Tyler Ulis all over again.

There are some factors working against Fran and Iowa...Bohannon will be a starting guard for 2 more years, Fran's son is a PG with 4 more years of eligibility. If I'm a 2019 PG recruit and I look at Iowa, I know I'm probably not starting my freshman year, and then once Bohannon graduates I have to beat out the coach's son for playing time for the next 2 years. Is that really something I want to deal with? Or would I be better off going to a school where the coach's kids aren't on the team and a history of sending players to the NBA. To be honest, it seems pretty obvious why he crossed Iowa off the list.

agree 100% - I am just saying - who's the last coach at Iowa that was keeping the 5 stars home?

That’s not a huge limb, that’s a totally safe bet.

IF (big if) Cook rips it up this year and gets drafted...I could see a world where Fran goes to one of these 5 star kids and says "look, we need to replace Tyler Cook...come to Iowa, start right away, dominate the league, and then leave for the NBA after 2 years". I think there's some appeal in that.

I wouldn't bet on it, but Fran has had better luck with the Forwards than the guards

IF (big if) Cook rips it up this year and gets drafted...I could see a world where Fran goes to one of these 5 star kids and says "look, we need to replace Tyler Cook...come to Iowa, start right away, dominate the league, and then leave for the NBA after 2 years". I think there's some appeal in that.

I wouldn't bet on it, but Fran has had better luck with the Forwards than the guards
I'm a hoping that's exactly the selling point to Brooks now... He's more of a slasher 3 type compared to what Cook is but a similar sales job that your mentioning surely applies.

agree 100% - I am just saying - who's the last coach at Iowa that was keeping the 5 stars home?

Alford did alright I guess...I never blamed him for Collison. I don't think Horner, Brunner and Worley were 5-stars but they were top recruits coming out of the state. Reiner lived very close to Iowa. Haluska I guess should get a mention here too, although with a monster asterisk. Dean Oliver was a Mr. Davis recruit who stuck around with Alford.

Not great, but neither was the talent at the time.

Fran has had decent success keeping the top talent in state...with the glaring exceptions of the top-top-top talents...unfortunately.

I love this site.

there were plenty of logical reasons he would come to Iowa too. That wasn't blindness, it was more hope then reality, but it wasn't like it was impossible as you keep stating since you had "logical" reasons. The homers don't need fried for hoping, wishing and thinking Iowa stood a chance. They stood a chance -they don't need shamed. You are on the other hand are celebrating your win on every thread. Congrats I guess.

Last edited:
Alford did alright I guess...I never blamed him for Collison. I don't think Horner, Brunner and Worley were 5-stars but they were top recruits coming out of the state. Reiner lived very close to Iowa. Haluska I guess should get a mention here too, although with a monster asterisk. Dean Oliver was a Mr. Davis recruit who stuck around with Alford.

Not great, but neither was the talent at the time.

Fran has got the majority of big in state talent to come to Iowa too (Woody, Jok, Uthoff (huge asterisk) Wieskamp, McCaffery) . Unfortunately there just isn't a lot of history of the program keeping the big fish - (Lafrantz, Collison, Hinrich, Paige, Barnes) .... Iowa's last 5 star player was Ricky Davis and he was 1 and done. It wasn't going out on a limb to say Iowa didn't stand a big chance with DJ, because history shows that it never really does.

Fran has got the majority of big in state talent to come to Iowa too (Woody, Jok, Uthoff (huge asterisk) Wieskamp, McCaffery) . Unfortunately there just isn't a lot of history of the program keeping the big fish - (Lafrantz, Collison, Hinrich, Paige, Barnes) .... Iowa's last 5 star player was Ricky Davis and he was 1 and done. It wasn't going out on a limb to say Iowa didn't stand a big chance with DJ, because history shows that it never really does.

We can always hope that Patrick winds up a 5-star and then celebrate the monster recruiting success :)