Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Wast Post is reporting a Univ of Maryland study which tracked cell phone data which showed about 62,000 visitors daily crossed into the State of Georgia maybe a lot of them to shop etc because Georgia had opened up businesses.

That is an interesting social manifestation and it will be interesting to see if it has epidemiological consequences. It is also somewhat scary of the big brother and govt ability to track people's movements.

I wonder if people will go on airplane mode or turn off their cell phones more often now?

There are a couple of pockets of decent sized population right on the Georgia border. I live off I-85 not far up the road from the Georgia border and the traffic in general has picked up quite a bit off its lows. It's nowhere near normal. I think it just tracks with general upticks in traffic and likely has very little to do with Georgia reopening. The traffic would probably mostly be coming from Chattanooga, TN, the Piedmont region in SC and Jacksonville, FL and it's not like those places are under some draconian lockdown they need to escape.

He's probably going back and forth with it a bit.

I wouldn’t close it if I were him. Especially with the hits it generates:cool:. I don’t post much in this thread but I do pop in and out a couple times a day to read. However when I do post my views tend to not be in-line with the sentiment of the King Posters. :D

Personally for me as some can see I’ve just gotten to the point that it is we’ve gone to far with the can’t and can do’s with Covid, IMO both the Federal and especially State Governments/local Governments are overreacting and most certainly overreaching!!! The Economic ripple effect that is going to come from this could make the virus look like a walk in the park.

Northside mentions the mental heath impact of this and I agree and I personally think It’s going to a devastating.

Oh so telling, Sen. Tammy Duckworth during a new interview this AM said she is part of the prez's Open the Economy Task Force. She said they have met all of one time for an hour. In that hour she said "the prez spent the first 45 minutes bragging about how much great things he has done ... and then in the final 15 minutes of the meeting when the task force members asked when they would get lots of tests and free tests that no one in the Admin could give them an answer." Some governor's and Fed leaders hiding or not giving access to case numbers like the State of Iowa rule that lets business owners not have to release positive case numbers if less than 10% of their workforce (which is a totally illogical rule).

And if people want to know why Rob will eventually close this thread it’s because of post like this! 82 just can’t help himself I guess. A person in Tammy Duckworth who is On the Democratic VP list.

Let’s kick the dust up and whip up a dirt devil 82!! I won’t bite but it’s clear what your intent is.

Last edited:
The Wast Post is reporting a Univ of Maryland study which tracked cell phone data which showed about 62,000 visitors daily crossed into the State of Georgia maybe a lot of them to shop etc because Georgia had opened up businesses.

That is an interesting social manifestation and it will be interesting to see if it has epidemiological consequences. It is also somewhat scary of the big brother and govt ability to track people's movements.

I wonder if people will go on airplane mode or turn off their cell phones more often now?
The big brother aspect, the Libertarian side of me can only smile and shake my head at the same time. ;)

I wouldn’t close it if I were him. Especially with the hits it generates:cool:. I don’t post much in this thread but I do pop in and out a couple times a day to read. However when I do post my views tend to not be in-line with the sentiment of the King Posters. :D

Personally for me as some can see I’ve just gotten to the point that it is we’ve gone to far with the can’t and can do’s with Covid, IMO both the Federal and especially State Governments/local Governments are overreacting and most certainly overreaching!!! The Economic ripple effect that is going to come from this could make the virus look like a walk in the park.

Northside mentions the mental heath impact of this and I agree and I personally think It’s going to a devastating.

That was my arguement at the beginning of all this. I do think the close down was necessary to both evaluate where with how bad the virus is and get the people in the right frame of mind to take it serious. Two months later, I think a majority of the population can go back to normal while following safety measures put into place like masks and cleanliness. I think doing that, we can run the economy at near 100% while keeping the hospitals under capacity. If you consider yourself high risk, stay at home still. There aren't laws that make you leave your house. The amount of time the high risk would have to remain in lockdown would be less that way. It's time to open up, and be as safe as possible while doing it.

Economic impact is going to be devastating. I don't really see anyone saying it's not.

I just wish we could be complaining on how the federal government overreacted. Spent too much money quickly developing a fast Covid test... Then ordered and produced WAY too many. And what are we going to do with all this extra PPE?

Because if you don't get one type of "overreaction", you get the other type.

That was my arguement at the beginning of all this. I do think the close down was necessary to both evaluate where with how bad the virus is and get the people in the right frame of mind to take it serious. Two months later, I think a majority of the population can go back to normal while following safety measures put into place like masks and cleanliness. I think doing that, we can run the economy at near 100% while keeping the hospitals under capacity. If you consider yourself high risk, stay at home still. There aren't laws that make you leave your house. The amount of time the high risk would have to remain in lockdown would be less that way. It's time to open up, and be as safe as possible while doing it.

Well, the close down everything plan could have been avoided if we had massive testing and contact tracing. Something referred to as Test/Track/Isolate. This is actually plan #1 for any infectious decease outbreak, but we just seem to forget about it. Or try to justify how it never would have worked if we did try.

So when you skip that plan. And instead just let it spread, you get the inevitable shutdown. Unless it just magically goes away, as was suggested by our President. So people who lament about the economic costs, should point to our lack of a federal response to this crisis. Non sociopaths are not to be okay with 1% of the population dieing.

And a lot of people won't wear masks. As this is political, many view wearing a mask as an admission they were wrong. Could you image TK wearing a mask?

You hear all sorts of stories of employees getting abused when telling customers that masks are required. Not sure how wide spread that is. Many business owners actually refuse to allow employees to wear masks, telling them to stay home and quit if they cannot. Then no unemployment benefits.

No way. The issues we saw in America weren't uniquely American, pretty much the whole Western world was brought to its knees. The West wasn't ready for a pandemic. Japan, Korea and Taiwan have felt the brunt of these Chinese induced pandemics in the past 2 decades and the population is prepared with masks. In the winter, virtually everyone on the train is wearing a mask there.

I was pro-mask months ago, back when the Fake News dutifully reported that "masks don't work." That was complete and utter bullshit. The Germ is bad, but not as bad as the Fake News portrays. It definitely is going to accelerate the end of life for people within a year of death. It will randomly sweep some other folks as well. But our reaction has been to treat this thing like it is damned near as bad as Ebola with a transmission rate on point with the common cold and it has led to some bad policy. This country needed to implement full blown mask usage from day 1. The fact that we are this balls deep into this thing and Costco is about the only major retailer with a mask rule is absolutely despicable.

America would have major compliance issues with a mask rule, though. The average IQ and ability to deduce the social impacts of specific behavior in the US is very low compared to the developed East Asian nations. The most obvious problem in the US is we didn't have an inventory of masks and I am skeptical as to the efficacy of the makeshift cloth masks. But then that begs the question, what the hell do we have to show for the $50 billion the CDC has pissed away over the past decade? I guess those signs on the city trains in places like NYC and Chicago imploring people to not catch AIDS are pretty nice. How did the military not have a stockpile for civilian use? I don't blame any president or governor, those folks do macro planning and those jobs turn over. But there was a massive government failure to plan for this shit in the West that is truly indescribable. However, the NY government not shutting the trains down is not such a failure.

Wow, I'm amazed the amount of truthful information you can give out. While still being completely partisan.

From all of this, the only criticism you have of our federal government, is that the CDC wasted 50 billion budget they had over the last decade?

Despite the CDC's successful response to Ebola and H1N1 during that time? Look at how many trillions of stimulus we've passed. I think 50 billion to tackle two infections deceases is a great ROI.

And you don't blame the president because he only does macro planning.

None of this looks like a macro problem to you? Should we start building fallout bunkers in our back yard again? Because the president only deals with the Macro. Nuclear fallout would be a local issue.

USA Poll report today showed 71% of Americans are worried that the feds are pushing re opening too fast.

He starts off with a bunch of "what ifs".

We've never quarantined the healthy?

https://www.history.com/news/spanish-flu-pandemic-response-cities
In his book, Jacobs says that the gauze masks city officials claimed were “99 percent proof against influenza” were in reality hardly effective at all. San Francisco’s relatively low infection rates in October were probably due to well-organized campaigns to quarantine all naval installations before the flu arrived, plus early efforts to close schools, ban social gatherings and close all places of “public amusement.”

Then he talks about guns, abortion...

Great find TK.

Sounds like another politician that is all about pointing fingers yet offers absolutely nothing in terms of how to move forward and actually do something constructive. I'm not arguing with him but at the same time can't help but wonder if he's campaigning up there.

USA Poll report today showed 71% of Americans are worried that the feds are pushing re opening too fast.

I think at this point it's not so much about reopening the country, but how to do it. We've all argued the lockdown for weeks, but the fact is how do you convince a population to return to "normal" or roll out a "new normal" when in places like Iowa, things appear worse now then they did when things shut down. Everything is driven by the consumer and despite the fact that the feds want things back to normal and have "reopened" who's to say that the general public is immediately going to return to the way things were.

Sounds like another politician that is all about pointing fingers yet offers absolutely nothing in terms of how to move forward and actually do something constructive. I'm not arguing with him but at the same time can't help but wonder if he's campaigning up there.

Many doctors are being prevented from treating patients (making $$$).

This guy doesn't strike me as the type that is treating covid patients.

I have a friend who is a cardio surgeon. He's going through he same thing. And although he is very much a republican, he's not drinking the cool aid like this guy. He pretty much told me 2 months ago, have a great rest of your 2020.

Well, the close down everything plan could have been avoided if we had massive testing and contact tracing. Something referred to as Test/Track/Isolate. This is actually plan #1 for any infectious decease outbreak, but we just seem to forget about it. Or try to justify how it never would have worked if we did try.

So when you skip that plan. And instead just let it spread, you get the inevitable shutdown. Unless it just magically goes away, as was suggested by our President. So people who lament about the economic costs, should point to our lack of a federal response to this crisis. Non sociopaths are not to be okay with 1% of the population dieing.

And a lot of people won't wear masks. As this is political, many view wearing a mask as an admission they were wrong. Could you image TK wearing a mask?

You hear all sorts of stories of employees getting abused when telling customers that masks are required. Not sure how wide spread that is. Many business owners actually refuse to allow employees to wear masks, telling them to stay home and quit if they cannot. Then no unemployment benefits.

I honestly don't know if it's even feasible to mass produce enough tests to go that route. Maybe it is by now. But could it have been in time to make a difference? I really don't know that answer. But I do know that 330,000,000 people is a shit ton of people.

As far as people not wearing masks go. Companies can make it mandatory to wear masks when you go in. Sure you will get the random people who make a huge deal of it. But a huge majority of the people who fall into the "won't wear a mask" crowd would just mumble to themselves and put it on. Once again, the goal is to prevent mass spread, not have no spreads at all. That goal would be impossible.

Good day, y'all. The thread will stay open through Sunday. When I get to it Monday morning, it will be locked. If that disappoints you, sorry. This is a Hawkeye Sports Discussion site with message boards. It's not for politics, religion, etc.

Yes, there are music and BBQ threads. That's not the same. And I had to kill the Friday Funnys thread because tk felt it was ok to make that political. It's posters like him that do whatever they want on here regardless of the rules that ruin it for everybody else. For example, I deleted the post he made on the doctor yelling at democrats above and then he just reposted it. He's been warned and continues to do whatever the hell he wants. His days here are numbered.

Anyway, as some of you have pushed back on me shutting down this thread, I decided to go back one week, to last Friday, and count everybody's post in this thread. That was when HawkMN posted:

This shatshow thread is still going?

That got me thinking whether or not this had run its course.

Here's my count from that post forward:

uihawk82 - 50
PCHawk - 34
Hawk1960 - 33
HawkGold - 33
tksirius - 31
thedukeofearl - 22
Ree4 - 19
Northside - 18
HawkPrdatr40 - 17
EstronHawkKing - 15
HuckFinn - 9
MelroseHawkins - 8
judzeehawk - 7
okeefe4prez - 6
GoHawks12345 - 6
haydensly - 3
Kicker22 - 4
Stanzi, ssckelley - 2
KCRC, Xerxes, HawkeyeWalker, tailgater371, racerhawk, hawkdrummer, hawkinduckland, #dihardhawk, Denverhawk1, CP87 - 1

This is my 27th post in this thread during the last week. Most of mine the last few days have been about why I'm locking up the thread. Seeing that there really aren't a lot of people on here posting in the thread, I'm comfortable with my decision.

I'm not overly concerned about traffic because revenue from programmatic ads has plummeted with this economy. My goal was to give HN users a chance to discuss the unprecedented goings on in the world. I would like to be able to continue doing that but this thread has become a social issues debate too often, which I guess can be expected with this topic. It's be nice to focus on data and stories from the virus and provide information for people, but as you can see throughout this thread, people can find websites with what they want to believe all over the internet. And some of that misinformation is dangerous to me and I don't want it on this site.

As I mentioned in one of my recent posts, you guys that want to continue this discussion, and for the most part, it's a pretty small group, you can find a place to do that. I'd feel some remorse if this was the only place to discuss it. It's not.

Again. You can easily start your own FREE message board to discuss these topics. And again, here's the LINK

BTW, if you're thinking, hey, he's going to lock this thread on Monday so I'm going to get everything off my chest before he does, don't do it. I won't put up with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts