Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please don't. I don't use any social media other than this and another sparsely traveled hawkeye site and I feel like this is a good microcosm of the cancer I avoid by not being on the Twitter or the Facebook.

Totally agree. This thread provides a vent for those frustrated by the virus, and is rather interesting also.....

It seems as though the rhetoric has leveled off and people are getting used to one another's viewpoint. Folk appear to be nearing the Middle Ground which is a positive factor.....

All that said: Covid conspiracy theories are sapping Doctor's morale

This is a new wrinkle and perfectly understandable. They are on the front lines watching people die a horrible death and also watching their co-workers catching the virus while helping people recover or many times assisting them through death while their family members/friends cannot visit them in hospital, and will never see them alive again.

It is extremely frustrating to see people deliberately passing false information to try to convince others to stop using techniques that are recommended by Medical and Scientific Experts to save people's lives.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-n...rs-are-fed-conspiracies-ravaging-ers-n1201446

This is also the only social media site I use. I don't use Twitter and never will. I have two Facebook accounts with other names to keep the flow going with family members and close friends who live on both coasts, Seattle and the Philadelphia area.

:cool:

Last edited:
So I hit a nerve huh Judy.. Because the lame douchebaggery responses honestly makes you look a tad insecure and opposite of what you state, but that’s Okay. I don’t know you and don’t care to. Have another one of your great days. :cool:

A little testy huh. My goodness I think you have this struck a nerve thing backwards. I will have another great day and maybe you should try and do the same. Judy? Whatever makes you feel good about yourself. You can have the last say so because I won't be back on this thread. Lot's of bad ju ju on here.

Yeah, let's keep them "safer at home" for another six weeks!

you just do not get it. One idiot goes to the grocery store. Gets infected. Goes home. Hugs his wife, kisses his kids goodnight and passes the virus to all of them. Of course, most cases come at home. But news flash...the virus originated due to ineffective social distancing. You are a good poster and a smart guy, but you are way, way out of bounds on this one.

If Rob shuts down this thread, it is his right to do so. I don’t think any of us disagree with that.
Quite frankly, I have seen some posts on HN with regard to Hawkeye sports that rival some of the garbage on this thread.

I have read a lot of the posts on the virus here and have responded several times, more frequently with “likes” but with a few disagreements.

I have some idiots blocked, so I would guess I have not seen some of the more controversial comments. I would speculate that those folks are largely the source of Rob’s frustration, along with what has become repetitive expressions. But, it is obvious that the information on this topic expands exponentially, which may be an argument to continue the thread.

I will miss this thread at a minor level when it ends. But if Rob ends it, I will move on and enjoy talking Iowa Hawkeye sports.

Dr. Ali Khan, a former director or high level person at the CDC, just made a very interesting comment and observation. He said right now if he asked the govt for 1 billion dollars to research and battle Covid virus he would get that money/grant. But he said if back in December 2019 if he asked for a measly 2 million dollars to fight viruses he would not get the money.

Then he says but here we are spending multiple trillions of dollars and tens of thousands of lives by not putting money into public health and by not acting correctly in Jan and Feb to this pandemic.

you just do not get it. One idiot goes to the grocery store. Gets infected. Goes home. Hugs his wife, kisses his kids goodnight and passes the virus to all of them. Of course, most cases come at home. But news flash...the virus originated due to ineffective social distancing. You are a good poster and a smart guy, but you are way, way out of bounds on this one.
Respect the threat. Dont fear it. You cant live your life that way.

Dr. Ali Khan, a former director or high level person at the CDC, just made a very interesting comment and observation. He said right now if he asked the govt for 1 billion dollars to research and battle Covid virus he would get that money/grant. But he said if back in December 2019 if he asked for a measly 2 million dollars to fight viruses he would not get the money.

Then he says but here we are spending multiple trillions of dollars and tens of thousands of lives by not putting money into public health and by not acting correctly in Jan and Feb to this pandemic.

Watched that interview

Dr. Ali is an interesting cat

Blue Tinted Glasses and Dr. Strange Comics Books displayed on the shelf

Besides being a medical expert

:cool:

Just out of curiosity, what are you annoyed about?

Probably the responsibility of wading through 10 new pages of this every day to make sure there isn't too much garbage being posted.

I would think this thread has to be driving a substantial chunk of the traffic to this site, however. GetSmartSwab.com has had plenty of opportunity to tell me how to easily clean earwax over this past week, and I am sure they are paying handsomely for that privilege.

I wonder how many other threads will get derailed without this thread being accessible? It has been nice to have some football/recruiting news to discuss. But any thoughts on the coming season are going to eventually lead to discussions of if the season will actually happen, and then you know where things will go from there.

Where is your data on NYC subwas ridership and patterns like social distancing since mid March? Since you are way off on the percentage of deaths NYC compared to the US I just want to know what stats there are on the subway ridership. By mid march was ridership down, by how much, or maybe it ridership didnt go down until about march 21st.

Remember when they shut down the city many, or most people didnt need to ride the subway. Are there cameras on the subways which show very good social distancing being practiced.

No one should make this claim without really good evidence.
If you take the the entire region of NY, NJ and CT there have been 38,000 deaths out of the total of 76,000 in the U.S. so that is 1/2. The outbreak in the city seeded the entire tri-state region. There has been plenty written in the NY press back in early March about whether or not Cuomo or de Blasio should have shut down the subway. What I'm saying is if they would have shut it down back then it would have made a huge difference for them to flatten the curve. They could have made some exceptions for healthcare workers, first responders who still may have needed to commute.

Here is a paper written by an MIT Professor that I posted a couple weeks ago that basically makes the case the subway seeded the whole area.

http://web.mit.edu/jeffrey/harris/HarrisJE_WP2_COVID19_NYC_24-Apr-2020.pdf

Also, this MSN article and the local ABC station from 1 April on the lack of social distancing in the subway ...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/c...s-not-happening-on-the-nyc-subway/ar-BB121G5S

Last edited:
If you take the the entire region of NY, NJ and CT there have been 38,000 deaths out of the total of 76,000 in the U.S. so that is 1/2. The outbreak in the city seeded the entire tri-state region. There has been plenty written in the NY press back in early March about whether or not Cuomo or de Blasio should have shut down the subway. What I'm saying is if they would have shut it down back then it would have made a huge difference for them to flatten the curve. They could have made some exceptions for healthcare workers, first responders who still may have needed to commute.

Here is a paper written by an MIT Professor that I posted a couple weeks ago that basically makes the case the subway seeded the whole area.

http://web.mit.edu/jeffrey/harris/HarrisJE_WP2_COVID19_NYC_24-Apr-2020.pdf

Also, this MSN article and the local ABC station from 1 April on the lack of social distancing in the subway ...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/c...s-not-happening-on-the-nyc-subway/ar-BB121G5S

That is good data and reporting. Yes, in that timeline before any shutdown and without any limits on ridership the crowded transit of subways and buses must have lead to initial spread in those two or so weeks. The anti-epidemic playbook and plans for NYC would have to include earlier shutdown or mitigation on the transit system.

And if their leaders think of it slowing down or stopping ridership with social distancing earlier then that would keep many people at home anyway without a way to move around.

I do get it. But while we are trying to protect the most vulnerable from a physical standpoint we are putting those with mental health issues in great danger. Suicide hotlines are burning up, people are scared for themselves and their loved ones. Yet the governor's tell us they are saving lives for our own good.

I promise this will be my last post on this thread. But anytime the government gets too overbearing my claws come out. I can live, and save, my own life thank you very much. If people wants to spend the rest of their lives living off government handoffs there are countries where they can do just that.

It’s getting locked. Period. And if the conversation moves to other threads, it will be deleted and the user will be banned.

Don’t insult our intelligence by saying you need this thread for information. That’s bullshit. You guys are posting links from the dark reaches of the internet. Just go there for your info.

These message boards are for Hawkeye sports discussion. There are plenty of other options for you to use if you want to discuss other things. Trust me.

I don’t give a rip how many pages are in this thread or responses. It’s not what this site is about.

Rob,
I certainly don't believe I will change your mind, however just giving my input. Yes there are other places to discuss these things. I personally don't wish to be part of some group think BS half ass dark web chat room. Facebook has so many people commenting and it is difficult to respond directly to a single comment so that isn't the best either. I have been a member of this site since 2009. I only post when i feel compelled, which isn't often. I heard you mention on the mailbag podcast this week (and again on this thread) that this site is for talking about Hawkeye sports. It certainly is the main reason no doubt, and why I'm on here daily. But there are 5 year old threads about music and BBQ still going on here.

The Wast Post is reporting a Univ of Maryland study which tracked cell phone data which showed about 62,000 visitors daily crossed into the State of Georgia maybe a lot of them to shop etc because Georgia had opened up businesses.

That is an interesting social manifestation and it will be interesting to see if it has epidemiological consequences. It is also somewhat scary of the big brother and govt ability to track people's movements.

I wonder if people will go on airplane mode or turn off their cell phones more often now?

Rob,
I certainly don't believe I will change your mind, however just giving my input. Yes there are other places to discuss these things. I personally don't wish to be part of some group think BS half ass dark web chat room. Facebook has so many people commenting and it is difficult to respond directly to a single comment so that isn't the best either. I have been a member of this site since 2009. I only post when i feel compelled, which isn't often. I heard you mention on the mailbag podcast this week (and again on this thread) that this site is for talking about Hawkeye sports. It certainly is the main reason no doubt, and why I'm on here daily. But there are 5 year old threads about music and BBQ still going on here.

If he was locking it he would have done it. Obviously there is a force that’s keeping this going because I actually was surprised to log on last night with this thread still going after he said that.

The Wast Post is reporting a Univ of Maryland study which tracked cell phone data which showed about 62,000 visitors daily crossed into the State of Georgia maybe a lot of them to shop etc because Georgia had opened up businesses.

That is an interesting social manifestation and it will be interesting to see if it has epidemiological consequences. It is also somewhat scary of the big brother and govt ability to track people's movements.

I wonder if people will go on airplane mode or turn off their cell phones more often now?

Only the people who have something to hide.

If he was locking it he would have done it. Obviously there is a force that’s keeping this going because I actually was surprised to log on last night with this thread still going after he said that.
He's probably going back and forth with it a bit.

Oh so telling, Sen. Tammy Duckworth during a new interview this AM said she is part of the prez's Open the Economy Task Force. She said they have met all of one time for an hour. In that hour she said "the prez spent the first 45 minutes bragging about how much great things he has done ... and then in the final 15 minutes of the meeting when the task force members asked when they would get lots of tests and free tests that no one in the Admin could give them an answer." Some governor's and Fed leaders hiding or not giving access to case numbers like the State of Iowa rule that lets business owners not have to release positive case numbers if less than 10% of their workforce (which is a totally illogical rule).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts