Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
why don't you create an Off Topic forum? You could move the music thread there, this thread, funnies thread ect......A movies thread would be cool as well along with others

I started moderating messages boards back in June of '03 when Jon Miller and I first partnered up. It has been my experience that off-topic boards become a playground for posters with political agendas. And the landscape has changed a lot since '03 as we saw with the funnies thread. No way am I going to moderate something like that now.

And if people want to know why Rob will eventually close this thread it’s because of post like this! 82 just can’t help himself I guess. A person in Tammy Duckworth who is On the Democratic VP list.

Let’s kick the dust up and whip up a dirt devil 82!! I won’t bite but it’s clear what your intent is.

I think people need to know what is going on behind close doors in these meetings. There was no reporting on this meeting that I have seen. oh and I may have forgot to say this task force met once and never again yet up to this day

Trump keeps blasting reporters, governors etc about getting the economy back opened then maybe not and then you get a direct quote from a military hero who lost both her legs in war in the middle east that Trump just wasted 75% of the time of an Open the Economy meeting and his Admin had no answers about where are the tests.

And you dont think there is anything wrong with this picture???? You should be bitchin at Trump etc about the economy the shut downs, etc by screwing up any response to the warnings he got in January by wasting 6-8 weeks doing absolutely nothing positive or concrete in late Jan to March 15th or so.

People need to know the news and the facts. Not sure why Rob would shut down this thread because 95% of what I am posting is facts. I didnt make up Duckworth's quotes and it is news.

I think people need to know what is going on behind close doors in these meetings. There was no reporting on this meeting that I have seen. oh and I may have forgot to say this task force met once and never again yet up to this day

Trump keeps blasting reporters, governors etc about getting the economy back opened then maybe not and then you get a direct quote from a military hero who lost both her legs in war in the middle east that Trump just wasted 75% of the time of an Open the Economy meeting and his Admin had no answers about where are the tests.

And you dont think there is anything wrong with this picture???? You should be bitchin at Trump etc about the economy the shut downs, etc by screwing up any response to the warnings he got in January by wasting 6-8 weeks doing absolutely nothing positive or concrete in late Jan to March 15th or so.

People need to know the news and the facts. Not sure why Rob would shut down this thread because 95% of what I am posting is facts. I didnt make up Duckworth's quotes and it is news.

Duckworth's quote might be fact. But he might have been full of crap when he said it. Or she. I don't even know who Duckworth is.

It's not about aligning with me or what I agree with. This isn't a competition but that's the lens through which our country views things these days. We become more divided by the day. For some folks, it's not about beating the virus, it's about proving who is right about how to overcome it.

Again, if you don't like how I moderate this topic or find it unfair, I'm not going to change your mind. And I posted early on in this thread that people aren't going to change their minds based on what's posted here. I think that's held true.

The good thing, again, is you guys have an option. You can create a place to discuss social issues and politics.

Here, we will talk about Hawkeye sports. I'm OK with music and BBQ discussion. If it's innocuous, that's fine. But even the funnys thread couldn't be clear of politics.

Here's an article a recommend on how misinformation that is posted on here is dangerous and why I don't want to be a party to it:

LINK
What I meant is 82 is being overly political while TK is being dangerous with what you (and I) believe is misinformation. As far as how you moderate the board, I love it. You're very lenient but don't let ridiculous crap fly for long. I'm just disappointed in your decision to close this thread, just like I'll be disappointed if Luka goes pro. I understand both decisions.

Good day, y'all. The thread will stay open through Sunday. When I get to it Monday morning, it will be locked. If that disappoints you, sorry. This is a Hawkeye Sports Discussion site with message boards. It's not for politics, religion, etc.
it.

Thanks Rob for letting us discuss this pandemic event, the various aspects of science, social, economic, governance etc without very much bad discourse.

I really don't think it is productive to sit around laying blame. It is petty and does nothing. I was responding specifically to a question of whether Cuomo or DeBlasio, two guys who I vehemently disagree with politically, should have closed the NYC subway sooner. Those guys aren't at fault. Sometimes, pal, shit happens and it really isn't any one single person's or entity's fault, and the politicization of this issue is the most asinine, ridiculous shit I have ever seen.

At the end of the day the subway in NYC argument is not materially different than international travel. Trump imposed substantial restrictions at the end of January. He was met with a chorus of complaints about xenophobia and virtue signalling as political opponents encouraged people to go to Chinatown or the movies or whatever. Now, people bitch that he didn't do enough. It's just ridiculous. It is a fluid situation with imperfect information available and actions like completely closing the border on January 1 to everyone or shutting down the subway, which in hindsight likely would have mitigated this thing, have widespread implications and can't just be made in a vacuum.

Ultimately, the issues that this pandemic have created are evident in a lot of Western society. Industrialized countries in East Asia have developed around extremely crowded conditions and are better equipped at dealing with shit like this than the West. The first and foremost is the realization among their public that people need to wear masks in high germ season when they are in crowded quarters. I made this point in mid March on this very thread. The government can't protect you from every bad thing that may happen. We need to scream from the rooftops that tightly packed in businesses need mask rules.

Do you remember that little flood that we had in Iowa in 1993? I remember going to see President Clinton at the Water Works. Some knucklefuck, probably you, yelled "WHY DIDN'T YOU BUILD THE LEVY HIGHER?" I will continue to advocate for mask usage and reassure insecure folks that their manhood won't be impacted if they wear a mask into Home Depot to buy a new chainsaw. Filling the proverbial sandbags, while you sit there bitching about the President. The fact is, there is a shit sandwich in front of us and everyone has to take a bite. At this point, just like pretty much every point leading up to this, there are only a series of choices that will have negative impacts. The introduction of The Germ in the US and its spread are both the result of our incredibly free society. Freedom ain't free.
So do you think mandatory masks and high risk people staying home as much as possible is enough to keep the curve flat? I personally do.

What I meant is 82 is being overly political while TK is being dangerous with what you (and I) believe is misinformation. As far as how you moderate the board, I love it. You're very lenient but don't let ridiculous crap fly for long. I'm just disappointed in your decision to close this thread, just like I'll be disappointed if Luka goes pro. I understand both decisions.

Thanks for the clarification and I see what you're saying. I'm more concerned with misinformation but I guess that's my bias.

I started moderating messages boards back in June of '03 when Jon Miller and I first partnered up. It has been my experience that off-topic boards become a playground for posters with political agendas. And the landscape has changed a lot since '03 as we saw with the funnies thread. No way am I going to moderate something like that now.

Come on Rob, I need a place to peddle my shaving cream!!!

GDR was both annoying and somewhat hilarious.

Come on Rob, I need a place to peddle my shaving cream!!!

GDR was both annoying and somewhat hilarious.

I used to see him around town here and there. Never shopped at his store(s). Can't remember the last time I saw him. Seems relatively recently but I could be off on that.

So do you think mandatory masks and high risk people staying home as much as possible is enough to keep the curve flat? I personally do.

Those two things help but testing, contact tracing, and isolation of infected people are 3 of the main things many of us have been talking about, what the experts say are crucial, to control and manage an epidemic/pandemic.

So we STILL do not have enough testing, there is hardly enough contact tracing people in place.

And how many americans are going to fight back about having to isolate themselves for about 2 -4 weeks maybe if they test positive, even though asymptomatic. Most people in other countries especially the autocratic countries will go to and stay in isolation but do you think those yahoos that stormed the Mich legislature would follow a public health mandated order to isolate. I dont think so and if someone doesnt I dont worry about their health as much as how many people they might infect.

Last edited:
Duckworth's quote might be fact. But he might have been full of crap when he said it. Or she. I don't even know who Duckworth is.

Tammy Duckworth is Senator from Illinois iirc. She has quite the bio. She is a former US Army soldier who rose to rank of Lt Colonel and flew helicopters in Iraq, not sure if attack helicopters or what. Her helicopter was shot down by a terrorist/militant missile and crashed and she lost both of her legs. Her education info is below. She asked for and got a medical waiver to stay in and participate with the Illinois National Guard with her officer husband. She serverd two terms as a US rep in Congress. Before election to office, she served as Assistant Secretary for Public and Intergovernmental Affairs in the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (2009–11) and Director of the Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs (2006–09).

She graduated from the University of Hawaii in 1989 with a Bachelor of Arts in political science and later received a Master of Arts in international affairs from George Washington University's Elliott School of International Affairs.[11] She completed a PhD in Human Services at Capella University in March 2015.[12]

Holding your government responsible you might call "laying blame", like it is some petty thing to do. I do not think it is petty. I think it is vital.

Trump is accountable, regardless of your thoughts on Cuomo/DeBlasio.

Test, Track, Isolate. That is what you do, first thing.

Shutdowns are a bad option. So yes, when you starting shutting things down, without tests, people will be like "WTF?".

And yes, I'll say it again. We did not do enough testing. And that is the #1 thing.

All of life is a fluid situation. Step 1 of handling a infectious disease is not a fluid situation.

None of the above is wrong. But to suggest "scream from the rooftops" while you lead off with "sitting around blaming" not doing any good...

But yes, people were wrong about recommendations about masks. Some thought maybe to prevent buying up all the PPE when hospitals need them. But I don't know. But recently you have the VP refuse to wear one to Mayo, him disobeying the hospital policy.

I know (or assume) you are a librarian. But if you were to allow us to have a functioning responsible government, they can actually do some good. It might mean more taxes. But it might also mean avoiding seeing trillions in stimulus fly out the door with little oversight.

The federal response to this has been such a failure. All defenses need to lead to "there was nothing that could have been done anyways".

Everything else is a windy road to get there.

Just a great, well thought out reply to Okeefe who lays blame during hawkeye football game threads.

Like I said, what is wrong with posting news that we fully believe is vetted to be true. I think some people on here and in the public are afraid of the truth, afraid of reporters digging and finding out stuff on how poor the Fed response is etc.

I have pointed out on this thread some of the terrible things some Dem presidents have done so I call them as I see them.

I really don't think it is productive to sit around laying blame. It is petty and does nothing. I was responding specifically to a question of whether Cuomo or DeBlasio, two guys who I vehemently disagree with politically, should have closed the NYC subway sooner. Those guys aren't at fault. Sometimes, pal, shit happens and it really isn't any one single person's or entity's fault, and the politicization of this issue is the most asinine, ridiculous shit I have ever seen.

So I suppose you wouldnt have wanted the Pentagon Papers published to lay blame on lying about dead soldiers!!!! The publishing of the Pentagon Papers was so useful in helping to bring out dissent that eventually ended that war.

Finding facts and truth and reporting and stating the truth is super important. Personally I first thought and heard Mayor De Blasio being very upfront about how this virus could be a problem, telling NYC residents to prepare, no more handshakes etc, they tried asking businesses to stagger shifts etc iirc , taking some actions all the way up to about March 10-11. Then when NYC started getting a few more cases the mayor seemed to balk at closing I remember from reports and some of his most trusted aides were pissed at him and they almost were the ones forcing some closures.

So I think the mayor and Cuomo might have been just a bit slow on tightening things down. It was a tough decision because the NYC case number sort of skyrocketed all of a sudden. I think Cuomo even pushed back on the mayor finally doing some closures thinking it was premature. The after action reports on Cuomo and the mayor will shed more light that might not look so nice.

Can I suggest deleting posts instead of threads? At least the first couple times or so? At some point if a thread keeps going there then you should shut it down. But sometimes there might be a good thread going and it would suck for the entire thread to go away because one guy posts something wrong.

Also i get that it's your website, your rules, but the most extreme guys on each side here have been TK and 82. Both have been equally deserving of scolding but only one has. I assume it's because he's opinion doesn't align with yours. It would be nice if both sides of extreme posts faced the same consequences. Again, I get that you may not want it that way and it's fine if you don't.
Can I suggest deleting posts instead of threads? At least the first couple times or so? At some point if a thread keeps going there then you should shut it down. But sometimes there might be a good thread going and it would suck for the entire thread to go away because one guy posts something wrong.

Also i get that it's your website, your rules, but the most extreme guys on each side here have been TK and 82. Both have been equally deserving of scolding but only one has. I assume it's because he's opinion doesn't align with yours. It would be nice if both sides of extreme posts faced the same consequences. Again, I get that you may not want it that way and it's fine if you don't.

Can you copy and paste some of my posts or statements that you think are extreme????? Please do. Remember you are comparing me to TK and also 'extreme' means stuff like Pizzagate child kidnapping conspiracy theories/potential russian bots.

Answer this question: The virus is still going strong with more cases every day being reported. If there was an Iowa home football game this Saturday (tomorrow) would you go and tailgate with friends and then go to the game in a sold out Kinnnick Stadium? I don't think I would chance it.

No I would not go. I could probably go highly safely with my Hepa filter sandwiched three layer mask but would still not go as I would hate to catch it and then infect other people. Especially when the game is on tv.

The Wast Post is reporting a Univ of Maryland study which tracked cell phone data which showed about 62,000 visitors daily crossed into the State of Georgia maybe a lot of them to shop etc because Georgia had opened up businesses.

That is an interesting social manifestation and it will be interesting to see if it has epidemiological consequences. It is also somewhat scary of the big brother and govt ability to track people's movements.

I wonder if people will go on airplane mode or turn off their cell phones more often now?

My cell phone is always turned off

That way I don't have to charge it all the time

I still get phone calls and a text notification

That is the basic function of a phone

I have only had a cell phone for 3/4 years and did not need one before

In action movies, people are always taking the sim card out of phones supposedly to avoid being tracked, but apparently, if the phone is turned off you cannot be tracked, but I wouldn't bet my life on it

Then they stomp the damn thing to smithereens, which would be a good means of avoiding being tracked

https://techpp.com/2013/08/22/track-phone-turned-off/

https://www.techrepublic.com/articl...even-if-gps-location-services-are-turned-off/

I have spent too much time with family and friends while they are not conversing and merely looking at and using their phones, eventually, I depart politely

:cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts