Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I knew the replies citing some of the things WHO was saying from Dec-Jan were coming. And it's fair criticism.

But to no one's surprise, they will never do the same of our own government.

I mean, what was our own government saying even in March?

Well, our government managed to enact a travel restriction from China on January 31, 2020. Of course, a lot of people complained about it at the time.

Our government was absolutely caught with its pants down. Completely and totally. The fact that we didn't have a civilian stockpile of masks that numbered in the billions is absurd. The fact that we didn't have a huge supply of medical gear is absurd. The fact that so much of the supply chain in those areas is outside of our control is absurd. There was a massive failure on the part of the government to prepare for a pandemic. I said something pretty similar on March 19. Go up and read it.

NY is Trending even lower today.

This is good and Japan is spiking or increasing. Many experts/NY govt people will maybe conclude that the lock down/social distancing in NYC especially is slowing infection rates which then show up some days later in lower hospitalization and deaths. But it seems to be totally logical that if NYC were totally opened up to normal life it would spike up again.

We may go through peaks and valleys during relaxation and tightening of social norms.

Japan is strange because a news report there showed lots of people , a lot of people walking around, but most had masks on.

US cases also falling

LMAO!!!

If the reason why is all the mitigation efforts, shelter in place, social distancing, etc then you and TKWhatshisname are cheering the actions you have been laughing off.

The increase rates daily are dropping and it might be mitigation rather than a natural cause.

And oh by the way, 71000 new cases a day is still really bad and not good. Do you agree with that?????

they might if the “why” is confirmed.

Yes, and you are thinking like I am that mitigation steps to stop the spread might be starting to work. And it is funny that TKWhatshisName, Hawkprdatr40 and others maybe dont even understand that mitigation is probably the reason.

But NYCity has 8+ million people and if there are 30000 actively infected people and normal life activities are turned on all at once they could see another big spike.

Well, our government managed to enact a travel restriction from China on January 31, 2020. Of course, a lot of people complained about it at the time.

Our government was absolutely caught with its pants down. Completely and totally. The fact that we didn't have a civilian stockpile of masks that numbered in the billions is absurd. The fact that we didn't have a huge supply of medical gear is absurd. The fact that so much of the supply chain in those areas is outside of our control is absurd. There was a massive failure on the part of the government to prepare for a pandemic. I said something pretty similar on March 19. Go up and read it.

Thoughts on our failure to roll out testing?

Should we have accepted the WHO test?

You seem only to point to out problem pre-date this administration.

Can you imagine the relief of feeling like you were dying, then feeling pretty much completely fine a handful of hours later?

No you won't be hearing anything of the sort from CNN. My father, who leans liberal, refuses to watch that network.

One national news outlet I've been very impressed with is the LA Times. I think they're doing a good job of reporting facts and reporting positive news along with the high cases & fatalities.

Does your dad watch The Young Turks???? :)

"LINN COUNTY, Iowa (KWWL) -- As of Monday afternoon Linn County leaders announced there are now 176 cases in the county, a 148% increase in cases in just one week. The news came during Linn County's bi-weekly press conference. Six deaths have also been confirmed in the county, while 37 people have recovered. 881 tests have come back negative so far in Linn County. Heather Meador with Linn County Public Health said 70 of the county's 176 cases are associated with the Heritage Long Term Care facility. According to Meador staff at Heritage are now wearing PPE's when interacting with residence, who are also now confined to their rooms."

For the most part I have found this thread to be a reasonable source of information regarding the virus, especially as it pertains to my home state of Iowa since I now live out of state, but have been visiting it less and less due to the obvious attempts by some posters to use it as a platform to promote poorly veiled political agendas.

Here's my take on the politics of the COVID situation. Let me preface by sharing that my personal political views can range from liberal to conservative depending upon the subject, and, while not always easy, I pride myself on being objective.

As for Trump, for what it's worth, I didn't vote for him and personally think he's an eccentric megalomaniac. And, yes, despite his attempts to dodge the criticism, he did make poorly thought-out statements minimizing the danger of the virus early on - which has had consequences. As with many legislative endeavors during his tenure, he tends to stumble over his own feet resulting in the message getting lost in the delivery. In this case, however, the message and the delivery were both foolish. Some criticism is justified.

That said, not all of his messages are without merit. The resulting attacks however are nevertheless automatic. Despite Trump's obvious shortcomings, the almost maniacal blind hatred for him on the part of the MSM, his political opponents, academia and Hollywood is very real and has created an almost untenable situation for him and his administration. The faith I had in the field of journalism has been lost, as, sadly, integrity has been replaced by fanaticism. I have a good friend who is very far to the left, and even he has embarrassingly - albeit reluctantly - recognized it (the last straw for him was when the pictures being circulated of immigrant children in "cages" were determined to be taken prior to Trump even being in office). Trump's potential stumbles have become "white whales" and those that despise him have collectively become Captain Ahab.

It's time for people to put away the political lenses and their political differences, and focus more on what each can do to actually help. Enough of the agendas. That's my take.

Okay, end of rant. Sorry, Rob. Carry on.

There's too much false information and partisan BS from both sides of the aisle during this pandemic. It's not about saving lives. It's about winning the argument for your side. Sad.

There is a lot of false info, grandstanding, and partisan stuff. But at the same time I am glad that reporters are digging up truths and govt employees are doing their jobs and trying to do what is right no matter what the leaders sometimes say. Living through my teens in the 1960's and my early 20's during Watergate and Agnew's crimes along with so many scandals over the years makes one cynical to varying/changing degrees and trying to root out the bad leaders and lawmakers.

It is too bad it is that way but the only way to try to make things half way fair for the majority.

Thoughts on our failure to roll out testing?

Should we have accepted the WHO test?

You seem only to point to out problem pre-date this administration.

I do not know what the issues were with the WHO test, so I don't have an informed opinion on that particular issue. We have the absolute best medical companies in this country and the US government should have started ordering tests from US companies the day the travel ban was issued to have a supply ready. Due to the latency of this particular virus, I'm not sure how much it would have helped, but it certainly wouldn't have hurt. The latency and the fact that you can't practicably test every person every day makes it particularly hard to contain. There is speculation China is going on another lockdown after freeing up for a little bit.

I do not know what the issues were with the WHO test, so I don't have an informed opinion on that particular issue. We have the absolute best medical companies in this country and the US government should have started ordering tests from US companies the day the travel ban was issued to have a supply ready. Due to the latency of this particular virus, I'm not sure how much it would have helped, but it certainly wouldn't have hurt. The latency and the fact that you can't practicably test every person every day makes it particularly hard to contain. There is speculation China is going on another lockdown after freeing up for a little bit.

So your not well informed on the first logistical problem this administration faced when confronting this pandemic?

Yes, and you are thinking like I am that mitigation steps to stop the spread might be starting to work. And it is funny that TKWhatshisName, Hawkprdatr40 and others maybe dont even understand that mitigation is probably the reason.

But NYCity has 8+ million people and if there are 30000 actively infected people and normal life activities are turned on all at once they could see another big spike.
The problem is the data proving your hypothesis doesn't exist.

Well. I won’t have to read any more of your quotes on the pandemic. Your opinion on Dr. (not Mr) Fauci is about the dumbest thing I have read in weeks. You are talking about the top scientist in the US who has consulted with hundreds of other scientists and with those who produce mathematical models. He has worked under six presidents, and is apolitical. You sound like a cult member who will protect his leader to the end.

Ding Ding ding ding ding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts