Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
From 2005. o_O

Chloroquine is a potent inhibitor of SARS coronavirus infection and spread

We report, however, that chloroquine has strong antiviral effects on SARS-CoV infection of primate cells. These inhibitory effects are observed when the cells are treated with the drug either before or after exposure to the virus, suggesting both prophylactic and therapeutic advantage...

Chloroquine, a relatively safe, effective and cheap drug used for treating many human diseases including malaria, amoebiosis and human immunodeficiency virus is effective in inhibiting the infection and spread of SARS CoV in cell culture. The fact that the drug has significant inhibitory antiviral effect when the susceptible cells were treated either prior to or after infection suggests a possible prophylactic and therapeutic use.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1232869/

What's interesting about Florida is that for the next two weeks we'll probably see the death numbers go down because of the lockdown that was in place, then people will come out and say that opening things back up actually worked. Unfortunately in reality they forget that there is about a two week lag between when somebody comes in contact with the virus and when they might potentially die from it. This is the perfect situation for those who like to misinform and skew what is actually happening.

Interesting article about the mutant strain that has basically washed out the original in most places of the US:

Link

"Italy was one of the first countries to see the new virus in the last week of February, almost at the same time that the original strain appeared. Washington was among the first states to get hit with the original strain in late February, but by March 15 the mutated strain dominated. New York was hit by the original virus around March 15, but within days the mutant strain took over. The team did not report results for California."

What's interesting about Florida is that for the next two weeks we'll probably see the death numbers go down because of the lockdown that was in place, then people will come out and say that opening things back up actually worked. Unfortunately in reality they forget that there is about a two week lag between when somebody comes in contact with the virus and when they might potentially die from it. This is the perfect situation for those who like to misinform and skew what is actually happening.

I can’t believe there are people looking to misinform or skew. I mean, there are a lot of reputable news sources out there.

Interesting a maybe really positive news is Pfizer, a German company, and Moderna have started vaccine trials.

Pfizer and Biontech the German firm are using a technique, new or fairly new, to make synthetic messenger mRNA to carry or be the vaccine. It seems reading below the mRNA will help cells turn off the viral action of making more virus.

This type of synthetic vaccine has never been used but since humans can sequence DNA and therefore RNA it seems maybe a much quicker way to make vaccines and tailor them to be more specific to mutations. LET US HOPE.

"Pfizer and some other companies are using a genetic material known as messenger RNA to develop their vaccine that could possibly train cells to create a protein the coronavirus latches onto without making a person sick. With the protein in the body, a person's immune system could then reportedly produce antibodies ready to fight off a future infection. The good news is that this technology is reportedly more stable than traditional vaccines which use weakened virus strains, and it's faster to produce, hence Pfizer's ambitious timeline. The catch is that no RNA messenger vaccine has ever reached the market before."

This is spot on about the roughly 2 week lag from more infections to seeing more hospitalizations spike. Every story about hotspots show the same pattern and experts know enough about the timeline of infection with Covid that this is the pattern.

If anything this might mean Florida is even more trouble with a spike in infections and deaths already happening.

I wont post the US graph of daily cases anymore unless there is some major change but I will say it hasn't changed much in 3-4 weeks with a steady, plateaued number of cases each day.

A piece of potentially bad news came from a New Orleans Emergency Room and Medicine doctor who has been giving reports on tv. Last night he mentioned that two patients they had in the hospital with Covid who got better and were released were re-admitted with Covid. This goes against the even partial immunity aspect of having this illness unless it was a different strain they got the second time which again would not be good news.

In one particularly incomprehensible act, the government of India, a poor country of 1.3 billion people, locked down its people. As Quartz India reported on April 22, "Coronavirus has killed only around 700 Indians ... a small number still compared to the 450,000 TB and 10,000-odd malaria deaths recorded every year."

Michael Levitt, professor of structural biology at Stanford Medical School and winner of the 2013 Nobel Prize in chemistry, recently stated, "There is no doubt in my mind that when we come to look back on this, the damage done by lockdown will exceed any saving of lives by a huge factor."

I can’t believe there are people looking to misinform or skew. I mean, there are a lot of reputable news sources out there.
This is exactly why I wish we would see a lot more about new hospital admissions - a much more reliable indicator when evaluating where we stand with the virus in a snapshot in time - as opposed to number of deaths or new cases.

Neither "new cases" nor "number of deaths" are reliable metrics when used to evaluate whether or not relaxing restrictions is impactful, either positively or negatively. Even number of new hospitalizations will have a bit of a lag effect, but is a statistic that is much more difficult to skew. "New cases" can be easily (and dramatically) skewed by expanding testing, while number of deaths has a significant and highly variable lag effect, and that doesn't even account for the controversy in many cases regarding how COVID is being implicated as cause of death.

I don't know if the author of the Tweet above is implying that the increased deaths are directly attributable to relaxing restrictions, but, if so, that shows a tremendous lack of knowledge and common sense.

This is exactly why I wish we would see a lot more about new hospital admissions - a much more reliable indicator when evaluating where we stand with the virus in a snapshot in time - as opposed to number of deaths or new cases.

Neither "new cases" nor "number of deaths" are reliable metrics when used to evaluate whether or not relaxing restrictions is impactful, either positively or negatively. Even number of new hospitalizations will have a bit of a lag effect, but is a statistic that is much more difficult to skew. "New cases" can be easily (and dramatically) skewed by expanding testing, while number of deaths has a significant and highly variable lag effect, and that doesn't even account for the controversy in many cases regarding how COVID is being implicated as cause of death.

I don't know if the author of the Tweet above is implying that the increased deaths are directly attributable to relaxing restrictions, but, if so, that shows a tremendous lack of knowledge and common sense.

Agree. Two other metrics that are hard or impossible to get reliable data on is hospital occupancy rate and also ICU occupancy rates. Afterall, these would be key in flattening the curve to the point we don't overwhelm hospitals. I have to believe someone at CDC or NIH or state level health authorities have these numbers but they certainly are not publicized.

There needs to be more tests in this country and a more streamlined way of testing and getting results back.

It doesn't matter that "flu and common cold" guy will say the reason the number of cases is increasing is because of testing. Testing helps contain the virus because we have a better idea of who has it. And as KF and GB have said, until there's testing, there's not going to be fans allowed into stadiums or arenas.

The bottom line is keeping people safe. Some folks have turned this pandemic into some dumbass competition over what was the right way to handle the virus as it entered the country. That starts with the leadership in this country, and as we've seen, trickles down to the population.

None of that matters. It's here. People are dying from it at a rate greater than the flu. It's not the flu.

We need testing and then a vaccine.

About those test kits... :confused:

President questions Tanzania coronavirus kits after goat test

The president said he had instructed Tanzanian security forces to check the quality of the kits. They had randomly obtained several non-human samples, including from a pawpaw, a goat and a sheep, but had assigned them human names and ages.

These samples were then submitted to Tanzania’s laboratory to test for the coronavirus, with the lab technicians left deliberately unaware of their origins.

Samples from the pawpaw and the goat tested positive for COVID-19, the president said, adding this meant it was likely that some people were being tested positive when in fact they were not infected by the coronavirus.

“There is something happening. I said before we should not accept that every aid is meant to be good for this nation,” Magufuli said, adding the kits should be investigated.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-tanzania-idUSKBN22F0KF

BTW, did my weekly grocery shop today wearing mask. I've only gone to the store once a week since the middle of March. Plan out meals for the week and it's been smooth. Talked with the regular workers at the store. I thanked them for what they're doing. They thanked me figuring out how to feed a family of five by shopping once a week.

Here I am from last week with my kickass mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts