Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have, out of boredom, looked at a few political threads on Facebook. The political views expressed on Hawkeye Nation are really, really tame in comparison. The only conclusion I can draw from political debate on Facebook is that there are a lot of really stupid, vicious, racist, homophobic, sexist nut jobs out there. Frankly, it is down right scary. I am an old guy and even the Vietnam era divisions did not hold a candle to what this country has become in the last 3 years. Very sad. Guess we have not made a lot of progress. Sorry about the OT.
But perspective is worth consideration.

uihawk82 & Huckfinn have both said on here that they are retired and no longer working. I was shocked to learn of this seeing that they were both posting past 10pm last night. Old farts like them are at the the seniors buffets at 4:30p and then hit the sack by 6:30p ...then it's rise and shine at 4:30am

I'm going to quarantine here for safety until this virus passes......

us_outpost_31_exterior_1_-_the_thing_1982.png

Man, Black Hawk County, Waterloo and that Tyson meat factory are in the news. I guess we have our own 'wet markets'. The country went from about 200 cases 10 days ago to 1300 out of 130,000 citizens or 1% so fast that it is not good. Reports say 448 positive tests at the Tyson plant and they say the people are shedding most virus in the early 5-6 days of being infected. Those people have really spread it around their homes, others and who knows really how many have it there, maybe 10 times that amount.

uihawk82 & Huckfinn have both said on here that they are retired and no longer working. I was shocked to learn of this seeing that they were both posting past 10pm last night. Old farts like them are at the the seniors buffets at 4:30p and then hit the sack by 6:30p ...then it's rise and shine at 4:30am

haha very funny. Matter of fact, I am a night owl and am usually up until 11 or midnight and usually up by 7 AM or 6 AM when I was working. When I got burned out I would sleep from 10 to 7 or 8. Just have to be flexible.

And yes I like the occasional 4:30 pm nice snack.

Man, Black Hawk County, Waterloo and that Tyson meat factory are in the news. I guess we have our own 'wet markets'. The country went from about 200 cases 10 days ago to 1300 out of 130,000 citizens or 1% so fast that it is not good. Reports say 448 positive tests at the Tyson plant and they say the people are shedding most virus in the early 5-6 days of being infected. Those people have really spread it around their homes, others and who knows really how many have it there, maybe 10 times that amount.

Hard to know what rumors are true, but where there's smoke there is usually fire. That said rumor has it around southeast Iowa that when the Columbus Junction plant shut down workers who were potential carriers were showing up at the Waterloo plant almost immediately. There's also talk that workers who were returning to work 2-3 days after potential exposure before the mass testing began. Not sure how much faith I put in the gossip mill, but if any of this is true it does nothing to help Tyson's image.

I have, out of boredom, looked at a few political threads on Facebook. The political views expressed on Hawkeye Nation are really, really tame in comparison. The only conclusion I can draw from political debate on Facebook is that there are a lot of really stupid, vicious, racist, homophobic, sexist nut jobs out there. Frankly, it is down right scary. I am an old guy and even the Vietnam era divisions did not hold a candle to what this country has become in the last 3 years. Very sad. Guess we have not made a lot of progress. Sorry about the OT.
But perspective is worth consideration.

Yeah I bet those sites are crazy and I am not going to waste my time looking at them. I dont think any of us are going to drastically change each other's minds a lot on here but I think we are all frustrated and we want to discuss our views of why we think processes should be a certain way. And I think we all want to have others look at things through a somewhat different way.

The latest unemployment numbers are terrible. We only have to go back 12 years to a depression caused by greed and lack of oversight and mostly a lack of courage. Some of you dont remember or lived through 18% interest rates, higher unemployment and layoffs in the 1970s and 1980s but it was bad, and all the farmers going bankrupt and their farms being gobbled up by big agribusiness, a lot of suicides, at the same time a very large savings and loan scandal was going on.

Good points. It's pretty devastating, and it will get a lot worse. Our organization has not furloughed anyone yet, but I assume these things are coming.

I work in the mental health setting in my current role. We are seeing lots of needs, with attempted and completed suicides.

I'm hopeful that things will be opening soon. I agree that in reality, we should be in a risk mitigation mode. Social distancing within reason, but work on beginning to open things up.

Realize that I'm one of those employees that has come to work every day since this has started. I get my temp taken every day, wear a mask, and all that jazz.

Ironically, most of the focus of my job is now financial, and less about COVID and PPE (although at the beginning it was pure COVIDness). My job for the rest of the year will be about finding patient volume, squeezing pennies, and hoping everyone keeps their jobs.

Good luck. Thank God we don't live in Chicago anymore. That would totally suck ass right about now. How's your old lady doing?

Thread needs to tone things down a notch or two

This thread might have a negative effect on the sports threads where political animosity will not be forgotten

This virus is beyond political bias or it should be considered as such

Folk on both sides of the aisle are becoming infected and dying each and every day

Listening to the pandemic professionals and medical experts is sound advice

:cool:
I'm pretty sure I knew everyone's leanings before COVID and this thread started, this didnt change anything for me nor would I ignore people's thoughts on sports simply because of their political leanings.

Last edited:
A family member's girlfriend's dad died last week because of the Tyson outbreak. Showed symptoms starting Friday and passed on Wednesday - hit the small community where they lived pretty hard. Lost a great aunt 2 weeks ago also.

Thanks and good find. Some of us on here said it would not be long before someone averaged out the last ten previous years of deaths in some of these hotspots to compare it to this last two months. The thought that deaths are about 15% more is not good.

This same type of thing came up when NYCity EMT started getting 200-220 dead people out of their homes and apartments a few weeks ago and the city announced the past daily average was 20-25. So a 1000% increase in that data point was pretty telling.

Good luck. Thank God we don't live in Chicago anymore. That would totally suck ass right about now. How's your old lady doing?

Agreed. Much sucking of ass. I really like Denver, although I'd like to do a few less "social distancy" things in the coming months.

The old lady is great. She's doing phone/tele thereapy with patients from home all day while the dogs annoy her.

How's your old lady?

Thanks and good find. Some of us on here said it would not be long before someone averaged out the last ten previous years of deaths in some of these hotspots to compare it to this last two months. The thought that deaths are about 15% more is not good.

This same type of thing came up when NYCity EMT started getting 200-220 dead people out of their homes and apartments a few weeks ago and the city announced the past daily average was 20-25. So a 1000% increase in that data point was pretty telling.
But then there is this ... total U.S. deaths (all 50 states) in March 2020 were down 15% compared to the past four year average in March ... per CDC data.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...ch-2020-actually-15-average-prior-four-years/

With the meat plant closures and Tyson CEO and some others claiming the food supply chain is broken it might be a good time to look at other non-meat sources of protein that many of us know about. The list is pretty easy to find online and common foods like eggs, cheeses, tofu and soy, fish, nuts, seed type veggies like corn and peas, green bean with their seeds. IIRC there are about 9 essential amino acids our bodies cannot make internally and over a long period of time we need to ingest enough of those essential amino acids.

The main problem with our food chain supply I have read is there are two supply chains, one for residential and one for commercial foods and there is not enough of the packaging and processing space for residential now that so many people are eating at home rather than business and school cafeterias and all sort of eateries.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts