Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that for sure a thing with viruses that the more you originally take it, the sicker you get? You sure would think it would matter but I've never heard about it before this whole deal.

It is generally true the more virus initially the less your body can destroy it because it with a new virus like covid 19 your body has to react and make antibodies ( this info according to my wife the MD and some things I read that sometimes the body make take days to really start attacking the invaders thus the long incubation periods). Plus the more virus the more cells it invades and the more millions of new viruses it makes so the exponential spread is going on in the body.

And I am not sure if you are aware of the gene therapy techniques using viruses to carry in genetic material to be introduced into a person's cells as a cure for genetic illnesses. The genetic material is supposed to do a recombinant DNA action to put good genes in cells for a cure. Well the first time this was done the doctors introduced too much virus plus this young patient's body reacted violently to the invading virus and he died. Viral gene therapy died also that day for 10-15 years until they found a better way to introduce the new DNA using a patient's own stem cells so no rejection.

We just saw much of this info on a really good PBS show about genetics called perhaps called The Gene. It is an excellent show at least a few hours going over the history, science, investigations, and medical aspects.

It is a Ken Burns doc https://www.pbs.org/show/gene/

Checking in. It appears the respectful discourse i mentioned about 100 pages ago is deteriorating. Dang shame but entertaining. Doesn't appear any minds have been changed from original beliefs/opinions. As with most things, truth is likely somewhere in between and not a zero sum.

Stay safe and well fellas. Whatever that means for you. Hope we have golf soon and Fall live sports..

Hell of a thread. Its a microcosm of the national perspective.

Carry on..

Go Hawks

Nice post

We all need to take a step back and Calm Down

We are all neighbors and Americans

And should not be perceived as Enemies

The particular common bond on this site is devout Love of the Hawkeyes

The Divide that has been emphasized and nurtured the past few years

Is Dangerous and potentially Deadly for all

Not just schoolchildren and churchgoers

:cool:

What's interesting to me is that Trump hosted a TV show on NBC (The Apprentice) for 14 years and I never heard anyone call him a racist and NBC never fired him. He throws his hat in to the political arena and all of a sudden he is "racist", mostly spewed by other politicians. This is why many Americans have a disdain for politics and why we end up with the poor candidates we do for many elected positions. The vast majority of us could not put up with all the abuse you get (from both sides) as a candidate. Who in their right mind would want to be President unless you had a huge ego?

I am not saying Trump said racist things on the set of the Apprentice but it was a moneymaking program and you know the big networks will look the other way as long as they can. Bill O'Reilly, Matt Lauer, many others get it swept under the rug until the dam bursts.

Unless you are Roseanne Barr who so blatantly tweeted out the racism the firing was quick and there are other examples where actions are taken fast which could lead to a very long thread on HN to name and describe all the people undone by their own words and actions.

Musk should have added, "especially with airports basically shut down". Turns out we did not need those Chinese ventilators anyway so all is good on that front. ;)

Last edited:
Actually China has only officially reported a little over 80,000 CASES not deaths. They are still only reporting 3,342 deaths as of this morning. Everybody knows those numbers are VERY low. I used to travel to China on business on a regular basis, admitting failure in their culture is a very hard thing for them to do. One of the first things we used to do with our employees there was to deprogram the fear of admitting mistakes. Identifying issues and getting them fixed was simply a lesson learned for next time and what we tried to instill. The Chinese doctors who were couragous enough to send out the warnings when this first hit are now MIA. Probably social distancing but 6 feet underground.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
I heard this when my alarm clock radio went off this morning and I was still half asleep. I must have mistaken it where they meant 80,000 cases to 2 million cases and not deaths. That's a pretty high number even for a country with a billion people living in it.

It was the Barneveld outbreak. June 6. In Albert Lea it was mostly over the lake but still destroyed 12 homes and damaged like 60. There are photos of the ambulance building which was demolished which was near my home. It missed downtown where a celebration was taking place. People were still there when it hit.
We were camped at Governor Dodge State Park when Barneveld got hit. Very scary, but we were ok. Saw the devastation later. Wow.

What's interesting to me is that Trump hosted a TV show on NBC (The Apprentice) for 14 years and I never heard anyone call him a racist and NBC never fired him.

You just made my case about the political aspects of all this. Pinkett is a political hack ... or tried to be ... in New Jersey. Look him up.

You implied you never heard anyone from that show call him a racist.

I gave you an example. Nothing more.

What's interesting to me is that Trump hosted a TV show on NBC (The Apprentice) for 14 years and I never heard anyone call him a racist and NBC never fired him. He throws his hat in to the political arena and all of a sudden he is "racist", mostly spewed by other politicians. This is why many Americans have a disdain for politics and why we end up with the poor candidates we do for many elected positions. The vast majority of us could not put up with all the abuse you get (from both sides) as a candidate. Who in their right mind would want to be President unless you had a huge ego?

Racism takes a lot of shape.

Per ego it's hard to distinguish a big ego with narcissism.

That said ,Trump has a lot of markings and behavior of fetal alcohol exposure.

I heard this when my alarm clock radio went off this morning and I was still half asleep. I must have mistaken it where they meant 80,000 cases to 2 million cases and not deaths. That's a pretty high number even for a country with a billion people living in it.
No harm, no foul. This is a B1G forum so it gets physical. ;)

Racism takes a lot of shape.

Per ego it's hard to distinguish a big ego with narcissism.

That said ,Trump has a lot of markings and behavior of fetal alcohol exposure.
True, although on the ego and narcissism scale I could make the case both Obama and Trump are way up there. Most Presidents have to be I guess to survive it. I voted for neither by the way so I don't have a dog in that fight.

You know, I'm the last person to talk about "white privilege". I generally think it's exaggerated and the obsession about it hurts minorities more than helps them. But would Tyson had done this if these workers were white, English speakers? Don't think so.

Good point. Many of them are undocumented so I think they may have moved them to help hide them and exploit them at the same time. Disgusting.

Dang, actor Brian Dennehy died yesterday, but of natural causes and not Covid-19. He was great in First Blood

0b7207f6093c62471eb1225b11b6fe62.jpg

It is generally true the more virus initially the less your body can destroy it because it with a new virus like covid 19 your body has to react and make antibodies ( this info according to my wife the MD and some things I read that sometimes the body make take days to really start attacking the invaders thus the long incubation periods). Plus the more virus the more cells it invades and the more millions of new viruses it makes so the exponential spread is going on in the body.

And I am not sure if you are aware of the gene therapy techniques using viruses to carry in genetic material to be introduced into a person's cells as a cure for genetic illnesses. The genetic material is supposed to do a recombinant DNA action to put good genes in cells for a cure. Well the first time this was done the doctors introduced too much virus plus this young patient's body reacted violently to the invading virus and he died. Viral gene therapy died also that day for 10-15 years until they found a better way to introduce the new DNA using a patient's own stem cells so no rejection.

We just saw much of this info on a really good PBS show about genetics called perhaps called The Gene. It is an excellent show at least a few hours going over the history, science, investigations, and medical aspects.

It is a Ken Burns doc https://www.pbs.org/show/gene/

I wonder why they cant just infect healthy people with a really small amount of the virus then? I'd take a small case if it meant getting our lives back.

You know, I'm the last person to talk about "white privilege". I generally think it's exaggerated and the obsession about it hurts minorities more than helps them. But would Tyson had done this if these workers were white, English speakers? Don't think so.
I'm not so sure. They are doing a pretty neccessary job. We are throwing doctors and nurses to the wolves right now, regardless of their race, because we need them. I'm not sure how that's any different than what's happening here.

Dang, actor Brian Dennehy died yesterday, but of natural causes and not Covid-19. He was great in First Blood

0b7207f6093c62471eb1225b11b6fe62.jpg
I don't know what he died of, but, boy, did that guy age fast.

I saw a short video clip of him a few years ago and it had looked like he aged 30 years in 5. Really striking.

I always like him as an actor. He had a real way of expressing his internal emotions on the screen, a bit like Gene Hackman or even Marlon Brando. That's an art that not all actors have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts