Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
All I know is I am getting damn tired of this. The economic affect of this is going to be felt for generations. The "new normal" will mean less rights for all Americans.

Generations, really?? The US wasted about 4 Trillion with a stupid war in Iraq. Afghanistan, the real target was in control within months or a year so by 2003 but because of focus on Iraq we can say have spent an extra trillion or 2 trillion in Afghan. Our economy and society has made it through that waste.

As I have said before there is about $80 trillion in personal wealth in this country even with the bad stock market. Some people are going to have to look for new jobs, some businesses are going to close but will be replaced but new jobs making new needed items will be created.

There will jobs for people to help give vaccinations we hope and make PPE. The Fed Govt can tax some rich people a few trillion, get big money in fines for the bastards who are profiting too high from this virus, and put temporary tolls on some interstates and bridges to raise money to fix the country in a short time, a couple of years.

We just need some leaders with some smarts to do this. When there are problems find the root causes, analyze it and decide on the best fixes.

I don't know TK personally but I'm guessing he is a "contrarian" ... as I am one myself I can see that trait. Nothing wrong with that and actually we need more of it in the world ... too many sheeple simply following the herd. Steve Jobs was a classic contrarian and he did great things. Here is something I can point people to to understand the TKs and I of the world ...

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/articles/201205/field-guide-the-contrarian
I grew up Irish on the heavily German north end of Dubuque.

I live in Wisconsin and don't like American cheese.

I was a Miami Dolphins fan as a kid when most of the kids at my school were Bears, Packers or Vikings.

I listened to (and still do) alternative and indie rock when most people were listening to AC/DC, Van Halen and Def Leppard.

I own every Nirvana CD except Nevermind.

I never liked candles on my birthday cake, find the idea of blowing them out disgusting and unsanitary.

Never in my life have I used any tobacco products or any narcotic recreational drug.

Would all this qualify me as a contrarian?

Last edited:
Generations, really?? The US wasted about 4 Trillion with a stupid war in Iraq. Afghanistan, the real target was in control within months or a year so by 2003 but because of focus on Iraq we can say have spent an extra trillion or 2 trillion in Afghan. Our economy and society has made it through that waste.

As I have said before there is about $80 trillion in personal wealth in this country even with the bad stock market. Some people are going to have to look for new jobs, some businesses are going to close but will be replaced but new jobs making new needed items will be created.

There will jobs for people to help give vaccinations we hope and make PPE. The Fed Govt can tax some rich people a few trillion, get big money in fines for the bastards who are profiting too high from this virus, and put temporary tolls on some interstates and bridges to raise money to fix the country in a short time, a couple of years.

We just need some leaders with some smarts to do this. When there are problems find the root causes, analyze it and decide on the best fixes.
Gary Barta is just the man for the job. He will make up for the deficit by increasing season ticket prices to Hawkeye athletic events. :p

Problem solved.:D

Thank goodness for the NFL draft. I need something sports related that's current. I will probably watch the entire thing and I usually only watch the first round or two. I still think the PGA Tour could have continued and just not allowed fans.

Thank goodness for the NFL draft. I need something sports related that's current. I will probably watch the entire thing and I usually only watch the first round or two. I still think the PGA Tour could have continued and just not allowed fans.
That upcoming NFL draft is just the thing that is going to get people yearning for things to return to near normal-and quickly.

I said a couple days ago that I was done with this thread. I should have rephrased that I was done arguing politics on this thread. I will still contribute to it when sports are referenced!

Depends on what happens from here. If we slowly open up the economy in a month, then never have to close up shop again, it will recover very quickly. If we decide to wait a couple months before we open, then the virus comes back hard forcing us to close down again (or causing people to close down on their own) and that lasts another year before a vaccine, it could take a long time to recover. By then at least pretty much everyone will know there wasn't any other choice.

I go directly to the Iowa Dept of Public Health website for statistics so I don't get the media spin. The charts presented on the website have been improved to include more information. If you go here: https://idph.iowa.gov/Emerging-Health-Issues/Novel-Coronavirus there is an embedded map that appears. At the top of the map graphic are several different tabs to more sources of data. I was interested in the demographic information on the affected. I previously talked to my son about the disparity racially on the impact. He is a Dr of Epid. He indicated that the common factor isn't race but poverty. Unfortunately the website does not report the economic level of the affected.

If you live in Iowa you might want to check out the webpage above.

I grew up Irish on the heavily German north end of Dubuque.

I live in Wisconsin and don't like American cheese.

I was a Miami Dolphins fan as a kid when most of the kids at my school were Bears, Packers or Vikings.

I listened to (and still do) alternative and indie rock when most people were listening to AC/DC, Van Halen and Def Leppard.

I own every Nirvana CD except Nevermind.

I never liked candles on my birthday cake, find the idea of blowing them out disgusting and unsanitary.

Never in my life have I used any tobacco products or any narcotic recreational drug.

Would all this qualify me as a contrarian?
If your a Dolphins fan and a Hawk fan living in Wisconsin that puts you over the top in the minds of the International Contrarian Society. Welcome to the club. I grew up in Dubuque (moved away when I was 8) and my parents are from SW Wisconsin so I know the area well. I miss the fresh squeaky curd cheese.

P.S. The song Come as You Are is on the Nevermind CD. That alone is worth buying even for a contrarian.

If your a Dolphins fan and a Hawk fan living in Wisconsin that puts you over the top in the minds of the International Contrarian Society. Welcome to the club. I grew up in Dubuque (moved away when I was 8) and my parents are from SW Wisconsin so I know the area well. I miss the fresh squeaky curd cheese.

P.S. The song Come as You Are is on the Nevermind CD. That alone is worth buying even for a contrarian.
For the record I stopped being a Dolphins fan early in adulthood and really don't follow the NFL like I once did.

I also tried to order the Nevermind CD through the old Columbia House mail order record club (does that still exist?). Twice I tried to order it and twice they sent me a cassette, probably because the CD's were sold out. I gave up after that. My favorite songs on that CD are "Drain You" and "Lounge Act"

When my parents moved to Dubuque's north end in 1973, where they still live today, the neighbors on our block alone included Weitz, Zimmer, Moritz, Reiter, Breithaupt, Luchterhand, Grutz, and Hildebrand. It was like walking through the glockenspiels of Munich or something.

For the record I stopped being a Dolphins fan early in adulthood and really don't follow the NFL like I once did.

I also tried to order the Nevermind CD through the old Columbia House mail order record club (does that still exist?). Twice I tried to order it and twice they sent me a cassette, probably because the CD's were sold out. I gave up after that. My favorite songs on that CD are "Drain You" and "Lounge Act"

When my parents moved to Dubuque's north end in 1973, where they still live today, the neighbors on our block alone included Weitz, Zimmer, Moritz, Reiter, Breithaupt, Luchterhand, Grutz, and Hildebrand. It was like walking through the glockenspiels of Munich or something.
Dubuque is an interesting town and has a lot of history. They went through some tough times in the 70s but have bounced back pretty well. My cousins lived up in the north end and attended Holy Ghost. We used to hang around Eagle Point Park. As a kid I remember crossing the "Upper" bridge from Iowa to Wisconsin ... had to be the scariest bridge in America at the time before they tore it down.

Thank you PGA. I was getting tired of Master's re-runs and the S7K Driver commercials.
I can't understand why they aren't golfing... Of all the sports that could easily keep fans away and still operate it'd be golf. They've lost a boat load of $ by not doing it. They could have all the eyeballs on TV they could ever get because there's no other live sports going on. Fans are kinda cool in golf but it's not like an arena full with hoops or football. I bet the players would prefer it.

I can't understand why they aren't golfing... Of all the sports that could easily keep fans away and still operate it'd be golf. They've lost a boat load of $ by not doing it. They could have all the eyeballs on TV they could ever get because there's no other live sports going on. Fans are kinda cool in golf but it's not like an arena full with hoops or football. I bet the players would prefer it.
It's an example of people feeling pressure to do one thing when common sense says do the other.

It's the one sport besides maybe tennis where the fans don't make any noise (until after the fact anyways).

Bull shit. CNN, for example clearly labels their stories as “opinion” or analysis. Pay attention and make an intelligent decision.

The banners CNN puts at the bottom of the screen claiming Trump did this or that, usually inaccurately, don't say "opinion" on them. Peeps who watch CNN believe they're actual facts. I'm sure it's the same deal on Fox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts