Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have weekly data, here's the number of deaths for each:

Conoravirus: 115
Influenza: ~22,000

I hope people will soon get out of all this discussion that Influenza and cold-type viruses like coronavirus and norovirus (spelling??) especially Covid 19 and they are very different in populations in an apples to oranges type of way. We have had various strains of influenza each year for as long as we can remember. Influenza is a harsh ailment to most that get it but we have vaccines to prevent it. A lot of people do not get vaccinated against flu. We know how influenza works it's way through the population and how many people a sick person will contaminate. Each flu strain each year may not affect some number of people that hard because they have had it before.

This Covid 19 is a totally new strain or variant and people do not have immunity or some type of built up immune protection. There is no vaccine or medical prevention. C 19 seems to be spreading rapidly and easily. It seems from Wuhan and Italy if not much is done to prevent spread it will go like wildfire through the population. Right now the measures are being done to maintain hospital capacity.

Yeah, Russia is huge until lately had no cases. Now is a very low 147.

All of Mexico has only 93 confirmed cases

Of course, a lot of people in Mexico live in villages out in the jungle, also in Russia many people live in small villages without media communication.

Difficult to believe that Moscow and Mexico City are almost virus free.

This is a very nice map from Johns Hopkins that shows up to date information about the spread

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

That is a great website dashboard. It showed 83000+ total recoveries and 8,700+ deaths for about a 10:1 ratio.

Now the real ratio is probably way lower but we havent tested enough worldwide and in the US.

If most modelers are correct that there are about 10 times as many infected numbers than known infected people then that means close to a million people have been infected. And maybe the death rate is more like 1% which is akin to flu.

Wait till this virus hits Mexico City at full force, 21.3 million people there.

Yeah, and have you seen the living conditions and cramped quarters for the vast majority of people in Mexico City?

Wow that John Hopkins website shows just how Spain has spiked very quickly to about 14,000 cases

It is interesting that the global Covid 19 map shows the southern hemisphere as not seeming to be so hard hit.

Could it be the warmer weather of summer down under??

Yeah, and have you seen the living conditions and cramped quarters for the vast majority of people in Mexico City?

Wow that John Hopkins website shows just how Spain has spiked very quickly to about 14,000 cases

That was my point about Mexico City, it could get really ugly there!

I see Iowa now has 9 more new cases of the virus. 21 of them are in Johnson County...stay away from Johnson County Iowans.. 38 total cases in Iowa now.

That was my point about Mexico City, it could get really ugly there!

I see Iowa now has 9 more new cases of the virus. 21 of them are in Johnson County...stay away from Johnson County Iowans.. 38 total cases in Iowa now.

Spain is mirroring Italy in a big way. Not that many cases there 2 weeks ago but now 14000. Not good.

Kind of strange that no one is talking about prayer for this pandemic.
No one to my knowledge has made a biblical connection, or claimed that Nostradamus predicted it.

This will change the world. It is a good test market for virtual learning in our schools, which I think will be a permment thing in the near future (ten to fifteen years) as school buildings become too expensive to update and we need every building possible to convert into nursing homes amd assisted living for our ever increasing number of elderly. Young students will still need some kind of social interaction training but I could easily see kids from fifth grade up never setting foot in a school again as we've known them.

In tandem with this, parents will learn that they can work from home as well. We have the technology for virtual learning that we didn't have forty years ago.

This would lower oil and fuel demand, which is perhaps the message mother nature has been trying to teach us all along. I am by no means a tree hugger, but I do believe that when it comes to the planet's resources we don't own, we rent. Well the rent is long since due and nature has pointed that out to us once again.

In fairness tho, one has been going on all year and the other just started.

Just the fact that someone wants to make some kind of comparison of covid 19 deaths to flu deaths shows they dont understand the difference and seem to be, someone said seem to be, downplaying covid 19.

If you are so concerned about shutting things down then call the leaders and make them start testing 100,000 people a day starting in hotspots to find out who and how many have it.

Right, I was lumping together everyone’s behaviors into the luck category. Not all luck, but out of my control.

How so? Just referring to commonly accepted science and data. I hope you’re right that I’ve been fooled by the scientific establishment tk. I really do.

You will never change their minds and there is a good chance they are trolling you.

If you keep stating the facts then that is all you can do. Good job so far.

No one to my knowledge has made a biblical connection, or claimed that Nostradamus predicted it.

This will change the world. It is a good test market for virtual learning in our schools, which I think will be a permment thing in the near future (ten to fifteen years) as school buildings become too expensive to update and we need every building possible to convert into nursing homes amd assisted living for our ever increasing number of elderly. Young students will still need some kind of social interaction training but I could easily see kids from fifth grade up never setting foot in a school again as we've known them.

In tandem with this, parents will learn that they can work from home as well. We have the technology for virtual learning that we didn't have forty years ago.

This would lower oil and fuel demand, which is perhaps the message mother nature has been trying to teach us all along. I am by no means a tree hugger, but I do believe that when it comes to the planet's resources we don't own, we rent. Well the rent is long since due and nature has pointed that out to us once again.

Blasted Baby Boomers

I still haven't read one good reason anywhere to explain why we dont just quarantine the high risk. I'm starting to see the idea pop up on social media but still haven't seen anyone address it.

A lot of experts have given the main reason which is the lack of hospital beds and ventilators. For example, let's say New York City has say 15,000 hospital beds and 2,000 ventilators. Say that everyone but high risk people can keep congregating in all kinds of close quarter manners every day and the numbers spike like in Italy except with crowded NYC there are now 100,000 cases. Experts say that 20% or 20,000 people will have serious breathing issues, colds, fevers, and there would not be enough hospital beds nor ventilators and a lot of people will did because of not getting the needed care. Without good care the people get pneumonia which is what kills most people in these situations. Most of the people that died of Spanish Flu died of pneumonia as a consequence of the virus wrecking their lungs and giving a breeding ground for either bacterial or viral pnuemonia.

That is what the healthcare experts are worried about. Have you heard experts saying this?

And general herding mentality of letting people mingle will make many of the healthcare workers sick.

Bill Gates offered some advice

https://www.digitaltrends.com/news/...rid&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily-brief

This is Number One:

People need to stay inside and follow protocols right now
Gates said one thing that we do know is that social distancing is effective at limiting the spread of the virus and that we all need to be self-isolating right now.

“A big thing is to go along with the ‘shutdown’ approach in your community so that the infection rate drops dramatically to let us go back to normal as soon as possible,” he wrote. “If you don’t do this, then the disease will spread to a high percentage of the population, and your hospitals will be overloaded with cases. So this should be avoided despite the problems caused by the shutdown.”

KWWL Channel 7 is doing a 1/2 hour special right now, it's pretty interesting

Capture-3.png

Risk is not about what currently is, but what might be. All of these measures are to avoid catastrophe 2 months down the road, not to take care of a current problem.

Best case-scenario, maybe this novel Corona virus has a similar spread rate and mortality rate as the flu, and over the next 12 months, we add the 20,000-50,000 deaths from COVID-19 with the usual 20,000-50,000 deaths to the flu. In that case, it probably does not make sense to take such drastic measures to try to limit this spread, considering we do not take such drastic measures toward the seasonal flu.

Worst-case scenario, COVID-19 has a similar spread rate as flu, but a higher mortality rate, and hundreds of thousands die. That is what officials are trying to avoid.

Decisions would be much easier if we had more certainty about what was happening. In this uncertain situation, officials are banking that potential short-term economic hardship is worth the cost of a averting a down-stream crisis that would reak health-care and economic havoc.

Well said and we do take some big measures with the Flu by having 80 million people 18 and older get vaccinated per the CDC. too bad that isnt a lot higher rate. And how many kids under 18 die because they do not get vaccinated.

South Korea appears to be in recovery mode as their new cases have dropped each day since 2/29. Their first case was reported on 1/20. Hopefully we will hit our peak of new cases soon and start to see new cases drop off dramatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts