Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread does a good job of illustrating the wide variety of views and beliefs on what is happening in our country.

There are plenty of unknowns and conflicting information. Much of how we see things is based on what we consume from an informational standpoint.

That's why we have everything from "common-cold" guy to "the world is going to end" guy.
Kind of strange that no one is talking about prayer for this pandemic.

I don't have weekly data, here's the number of deaths for each:

Conoravirus: 115
Influenza: ~22,000

Risk is not about what currently is, but what might be. All of these measures are to avoid catastrophe 2 months down the road, not to take care of a current problem.

Best case-scenario, maybe this novel Corona virus has a similar spread rate and mortality rate as the flu, and over the next 12 months, we add the 20,000-50,000 deaths from COVID-19 with the usual 20,000-50,000 deaths to the flu. In that case, it probably does not make sense to take such drastic measures to try to limit this spread, considering we do not take such drastic measures toward the seasonal flu.

Worst-case scenario, COVID-19 has a similar spread rate as flu, but a higher mortality rate, and hundreds of thousands die. That is what officials are trying to avoid.

Decisions would be much easier if we had more certainty about what was happening. In this uncertain situation, officials are banking that potential short-term economic hardship is worth the cost of a averting a down-stream crisis that would reak health-care and economic havoc.

Risk is not about what currently is, but what might be. All of these measures are to avoid catastrophe 2 months down the road, not to take care of a current problem.

Best case-scenario, maybe this novel Corona virus has a similar spread rate and mortality rate as the flu, and over the next 12 months, we add the 20,000-50,000 deaths from COVID-19 with the usual 20,000-50,000 deaths to the flu. In that case, it probably does not make sense to take such drastic measures to try to limit this spread, considering we do not take such drastic measures toward the seasonal flu.

Worst-case scenario, COVID-19 has a similar spread rate as flu, but a higher mortality rate, and hundreds of thousands die. That is what officials are trying to avoid.

Decisions would be much easier if we had more certainty about what was happening. In this uncertain situation, officials are banking that potential short-term economic hardship is worth the cost of a averting a down-stream crisis that would reak health-care and economic havoc.
That is the heart of the issue in a nutshell.

I couldn't imagine what it would be like working at a hospital right now
From the "hospital" we have received a presentation from the American Hospital Association. They are projecting, based upon available data, 98 million US cases of SARSCov2 (Covid19) with a 30-40% community attack rate and 480,000 US deaths. The overall case fatality rate is expected to drop to around 0.5% but some survivors of serious cases are having long term cardiac and pulmonary problems. The previously cited 22,000 influenza deaths are from this entire "season". This is not typical seasonal influenza.

I’m not personally afraid of getting it, but I am nervous for my parents as they both have pre existing conditions that would probably lead to death should they get it.

My biggest fear, though, are the idiots who are so blasé about it. It’s that attitude that will cause our medical system to get overwhelmed. Patient 31 in South Korea personally caused over 1,500 to get infected. You think we’re in “panic” now? If our medical system gets overwhelmed....Katie bar the door!

giphy.gif

Last edited:
I would revise my earlier statement to saying slightly concerned personally, much more concerned for others. Interesting times we live in.

Yes. In my mid-60s and on the periphery of a couple higher risk factors. On the other hand I’m very active and relatively healthy.

I referee outdoor sports and was prepared to suspend that until that blows over but the leagues and the state association have shut down the schedule for several weeks.

I also work a fun retirement job a couple days a week that puts me in contact with the public. Not sure whether I’ll continue it as a result of COVID-19 concerns. Handshakes and personal contact is out.

Perhaps the best way to prevent getting the virus is staying home. If one can stock up on food, and sanitary products, you have the ability to stay home and avoid contact with almost everyone. The chances of catching the virus will be rather low in that situation.

I had a house call 2 weeks ago with a nurse from United Health Care and she gave me a clean bill of health.

Low blood pressure clear lungs, never have smoked tobacco, not even one cigarette.

Evidently no one out there has any friends or family members who could loan or pick up toilet paper, bread, milk, if people DID get shut in for 2-4 weeks.

That will be the saving grace for many. Also, the items can be left on the porch if anyone is concerned about personal physical contact.

I am staying home for a while. Seems that the best way to avoid the virus is self-quarantine Before you get infected.

I am retired so that option is valid, not everyone can adopt that measure,

Last edited:
My three millenial children, aged 22 19 and 16, probably have no memory of the last time they drank out of a kitchen faucet. But they will fight over water bottles at Dicks Sporting Goods like they are fashion statements or something.

Have we (this generation of parents including myself) wussed out our kids or what? I can remember going up to the nearest house when playing playground baseball and drinking out of their garden hose when we were thirsty. Didn't care who the neighbor was either. The idea of approaching a stranger's house to use their garden hose, as well as the idea of playing baseball at a public playground all day, have also been lost on today's youth. Then again I never had forums like this to babble on in my youth either.

More than likely peer pressure

Yes the premise seems odd from the outside, but the potential of Coronavirus is the fear. Not what it has already done but what it could do. If Coronavirus were allowed to become as common as traditional influenza then the death toll will be literally 1000% more then flu related deaths. So that 22,000 number for flu would be more like 220,00 dead. Also throughout history no recorded case of human immunity has ever been documented to any of the 4 other previous variant's of the Coronavirus family. It is beyond optimism to hope that magically humans will develop self immunity after initial contraction of COVID-19.

P.S. my rough math is accounting for only a 1% mortality rate for Coronavirus which is the absolute most optimistic mortality rate that can be found from a credible source. At 2 or 3% the death toll could reach WW2 levels. At 5% percent which we are currently at would mean Agenda 21/30 will finally see the goal of population reduction they keep talking about.

Any way that you slice it noone with proper neural pathways should want to see a pestilence grow unabated. Just because a house fire at your home is low odds doesn't mean you don't use your brain to take smart precautions.

I don't understand where people are getting this mortality rate from. If seen from a lot of places that 85% of people don't have bad symptoms. I've seen that they don't test people for no reason. Then I've seen the total confirmed cases and the total confirmed deaths. All that doesn't add up to a really high death rate.

Say we go into a few week quarantine, then in another month we are in the same boat as right now except with an already crippled economy. I wonder if the best route is going into another 2 week quarantine and finishing our economy off, or if that point it's time to just buckle down and hope to power through it. I've just got a bad feeling that a 2 week quarantine is going to put a huge dent in the economy and only a small dent in the death toll.

It's also ironic that Russia has yet ... yet ... to see hardly any cases.

Your average Moscow resident probably smokes three packs of non-filters per day, doesn't exercise and spends most evenings at 24-hour clubs hooking up. Go figure...

giphy.gif

Yeah, Russia is huge until lately had no cases. Now is a very low 147.

All of Mexico has only 93 confirmed cases

Of course, a lot of people in Mexico live in villages out in the jungle, also in Russia many people live in small villages without media communication.

Difficult to believe that Moscow and Mexico City are almost virus free.

This is a very nice map from Johns Hopkins that shows up to date information about the spread

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

I don't know about where you live, but around here, and I am not exaggerating, Chick-Fil-A locations with the double drive through (which is most of them) move faster during the noon rush than the Hillside Strangler (that spot where 290 and 88 meet in the west suburbs of Chicago) did in the era before they had open road tolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts