Anthony Hubbard

If the Hawks land Cezar, I would think the 12-13 season would be solid for guards with Cezar, Oglesby, Marble, May and White. Remember, Cully still has 3 seasons of eligibility. All that said, the Hawks need scorers and he may be looking for that at any position.

Maybe, you go with Brommer and Archie next year at the 5, Mel/McCabe/White at the 4, and recruit Woodbury and a juco big man for 12-13. I would think Fran wants more experience than to rely on just Woodbury as a true frosh for 12-13 (if he even commits).

Last edited:
This is a guard skill game. Meaning, guard ball skills. U can have those and be able to board as well. U need a dominant big if u r gonna play with at least three other guard skills, or four. Fran certainly knows what he is doing on that front. His good Sienna teams were guard dominated. Get athletic wings. Score in transition and defend.

If the Hawks land Cezar, I would think the 12-13 season would be solid for guards with Cezar, Oglesby, Marble, May and White. Remember, Cully still has 3 seasons of eligibility. All that said, the Hawks need scorers and he may be looking for that at any position.

Maybe, you go with Brommer and Archie next year at the 5, Mel/McCabe/White at the 4, and recruit Woodbury and a juco big man for 12-13. I would think Fran wants more experience than to rely on just Woodbury as a true frosh for 12-13 (if he even commits).

Thats a good way to look at it. Stock on scorers now and get 2 bigs next recruiting cycle. This way Fran can run his full system with his players.

This is a guard skill game. Meaning, guard ball skills. U can have those and be able to board as well. U need a dominant big if u r gonna play with at least three other guard skills, or four. Fran certainly knows what he is doing on that front. His good Sienna teams were guard dominated. Get athletic wings. Score in transition and defend.

Who is the dominant big?

I don't know anything about Hubbard, or if the jail thing is accurate.

Speaking generally, if Iowa State were to bring in a player that had spent 4 months in jail, much less four years, what do you think the reaction would be here?

Shada's Revenge, Cibula 11 and Hawkeyeryno would claim that Cyclone17 did the DNA testing, and therefore the the guys conviction should be overturned:D
He is clean and a great guy.

Actually the # of convicts on the football teams argument is getting old, so
this would give the Jihad fans from both progam's some other stupid argument to discuss. :D:D:D:D

Every position at Iowa is a need, except for the 4 with Basabe. McCabe, White, May, et al., are not slashers. We are in desperate need of guys that can curl off of a screen, penetrate into the lane and bash or pull up.

As Basabe and Cartwright have proven, our roster as it stands can be drastically upgraded with talent at all positions.

We have great kids on our team and they play hard as heck. That's fun to watch. But there is a huge talent gap that Fran is trying to fill.

As Mel Kiper would say, we're not drafting for position but for the best available. Once we get the "Fran" players in tow, then we can start getting picky about picking position by position.

Every position at Iowa is a need, except for the 4 with Basabe. McCabe, White, May, et al., are not slashers. We are in desperate need of guys that can curl off of a screen, penetrate into the lane and bash or pull up.

As Basabe and Cartwright have proven, our roster as it stands can be drastically upgraded with talent at all positions.

We have great kids on our team and they play hard as heck. That's fun to watch. But there is a huge talent gap that Fran is trying to fill.

As Mel Kiper would say, we're not drafting for position but for the best available. Once we get the "Fran" players in tow, then we can start getting picky about picking position by position.

+1 We have A LOT of needs and only a couple of scholarships

The last couple of weeks I have become confident that in time McCaffery can get us back to the necessary skill level to compete in the B10 but we just need athletes at this point.

+1 We have A LOT of needs and only a couple of scholarships

point.

I am pretty much an everything should be on the table guy. Recent history has shown that player commitments aren't worth much. Smith, Freeman, Kelly, Peterson, Fuller, Brust, Larson... Seems to pretty much justify the coach doing what is best for the program. So, if an upgrade is available at any position, I say go for it.

Who is the dominant big?

I think Basabe can become just third or fourth Iowa player in the last 30 or more years to be 16/8 guy, starting next year. Stokes and Earl did it...I think maybe Ed Horton, not sure on rebounds...He was 13/7 in Big Ten play as an undeveloped offensive freshman.

I hope Fran signs this kid, it would really shut my Hawkeye coworkers up about the ISU transfers.

I think Basabe can become just third or fourth Iowa player in the last 30 or more years to be 16/8 guy, starting next year. Stokes and Earl did it...I think maybe Ed Horton, not sure on rebounds...He was 13/7 in Big Ten play as an undeveloped offensive freshman.

Jon, still got that Al Davis pic around? I think now would be a good time to throw it up. Just win baby!

Also, I don't think we'd have to worry about a 25 year old who's spent four years in jail getting pushed around like a lot of our freshman and sophomores have been lately.

Hopefully the "thug" labels can come to an end...both ways. Glass houses and unfair, frankly.

Agreed, but I do think it's hilarious considering all the "felon" comments about ISU's players, when Iowa is actively recruiting a real one. Sounds like he's figuring stuff out though, and if that is the case, great for him.

Latest posts