2nd year Georgia in championship game

nEEFbrh.gif

He would have in 02.

I New we had a really good year that year but I couldn’t remember if we finished in top four that year. Those three years back to back to back with top ten finishes were great. Kirk was then given the huge contract.

In fairness we have to be honest and assume the contract was given with expectations that the ball would just keep rolling on. Not being unrealistic and expecting it every year but on a pretty consistent basis. If 7-5 was the desired mark then why not give him the huge contract after his third season when he finished 7-5. It was given after those three top ten finishes and I am sure with higher expectations than a 7-5 average. It is what it is.

I am sure there are many wondering what has gotten into BigD as it’s not like him to come on a rag on KF so much. Maybe KF fatigue or just frustration because I always gave him the benefit of a doubt. I figured he was smart enough to make obvious adjustments (especially on offense) and changes when they were needed. “Nope, I am doing it my way and that’s the way it is.” That’s when I started to get angry and fed up at what appears to be an attitude of “this is what I have always done and I’m not changing no matter whether it works or doesn’t work.” I despise that attitude from any person in any profession. That’s why I’ve been so upset and expressing myself so openly.

Even so I was willing to roll with things a little bit after the win over Boston College. The mistake I made is when I went back and took a closer look at Boston College’s win loss record and who they beat and how each of those teams they beat did. That got my blood up again as it appeared to indicate how weak they really were. The win was meaningless when you take a closer look behind the scenes of who Boston College really is or isn’t.

To continuously run the ball against seven or eight in the box is maddening and combine that with a 100% rate that an audible by the QB is going to be a running play. Lack of offensive creativity (not picking on Brian as it’s been this way for a long time).

Really how is it our offense can suck so bad considering our coach has been in the conference longer than any other coach. Geez I would lay off if KF would just let go of his Joe Paterno offensive mindset. It’s boring as hell, it lacks creativity and imagination, and it ranks low in most stats.

Is it too much for him to just try a few different things on offense???????? How many years does it take for him to figure it out and swallow his pride and say maybe we should try something different. That is what really bothers me the most. It almost like he is saying “eff you all I am not changing a damn thing and what are you going to do about it?” The defense is acceptable although an improved pass rush would be nice.

Ok, rant over................. I just had to express my frustration over the offense the last two days. Just want to win with a more entertaining type of offense that’s all. I mean what do you want a totally apathetic fan base full of fans who have grown to just not care. I am not that type of person. I just care too much and want to enjoy the games a little more. You have to go back all the way to coach Commings to see a more boring offense to watch. Ok, DONE, whew.

If Iowa would have won the games they should have, about 1/yr, and taken advantage of opportunities 1/2 the time they were given the chance, then they’d be in Wisconsin’s cleats.

And nobody with a brain and without of KFhate hardon would be complaining about a boring offense - just like Wisconsin’s boring run-first offense.

Their 17 year coach Mark Richt couldn’t get them their so they let him go. I followed Richt with interest since he took over a Georgia program that had dropped off. He and Kirk were hired about the same time and like Kirk within a couple of years he had the Georgia program back being a contender for an SEC title. The knock on him by Georgia fans was that he had trouble winning the big game. Yet his win loss record was more impressive than Kirk’s.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/mark-richt-1.html

A more successful coach for 17 years was let go because he couldn’t get them to the Championship game. The goal for most true blue blood players and fans is to play for a National title. They gave Richt 17 years to try to do it. Eventually it became evident that he just didn’t have it in him to get them there. He had a clean program and let players go when they committed serious violations of team rules or broke the laws of the land. That is something else that Mark and Kirk had in common.

Yet the fans were wanting more and they decided to take a chance and let Richt go. Now just two years later they are playing for a national title. Something they would not have experienced if they didn’t have the courage to hire a new coach. Ironically they just played and beat a first year coach at Oklahoma. In just two years one coach was able to do what Kirk couldn’t do in eighteen years. Also in two years another coach was able to do in one year what Kirk never achieved and that was to play in the BCS bowl championship series. It’s extremely unlikely that Kirk will ever recruit and coach at a high enough level to ever play in the four game playoffs. Apparently the powers that be and the fan base have decided that they would concede and give up on wanting more. This is either out of fear of failure, fear of change or the spirit of indifference neither of which is in the spirit of true competition. The old saying really is true “No guts no glory”.

Alabama was down for decades as was USC, but the right hire changed everything for both schools. Notre Dame, Michigan, and Nebraska have gone though numerous coaches in pursuit of excellence, but at least they are trying. Iowa has chose not to try. In Kirk we will rust.

So you think getting a kid to go to georgia is equivalent to getting a kid to go to Iowa? Therein lies your problem!

If Iowa would have won the games they should have, about 1/yr, and taken advantage of opportunities 1/2 the time they were given the chance, then they’d be in Wisconsin’s cleats.

And nobody with a brain and without of KFhate hardon would be complaining about a boring offense - just like Wisconsin’s boring run-first offense.

Except Wisconsin has a larger population and a captive audience. They are getting the best in-state kids. Still Barry's formula there. Iowa is not coming in and robbing them like the Fry days.

Should be easy to recruit to Iowa, just bring all those recruits by in the next couple weeks. I'm sure they'll love the lovely weather.

Wonder what the QB from California who should be here or will be within the next week thinks about all this nice lovely weather. The way I look at it and the way I would sell it is that if your goal is the NFL, they play in cold nasty weather and we will definitely have some of that here.

Dude wake up. "May or may not be true" How much you want to give me as far as losing a bet on it? There's no chance Iowa could bring in half that kind of talent. It's just not possible. How many 5 star QBs has Iowa ever brought in period? GA does it year after year. It's not just the one year class. It's the year after year accumulation of talent. Iowa has and can sneak in and get a top 10-15 class here and there. But the difference between a top 5 class and top 20 is a pretty wide gap a lot of times and Iowa can't seem to crap the top 25 3 yrs in a row which GA rarely dips out of the top 15 I would bet. All they have to do is say yes to the kids that already want to go there and stay close to home. It's not nearly as easy for Iowa to compete as you think it is

Right and look at where Georgia has the greatest exposure to and that is the southeast US, which probably everyone would agree is the most talent rich area. Iowa's greatest exposure is the surrounding states to Iowa. Lucky we can still rob Illinois for their best and usually Minnesota.

I should add I dont think the so called pro-style offense is bad to use over all but most teams spread the field more than we do and more build in some pistol and zone read than we do. I would really like to see them take a chance and have Stanley/qb run a little more out of a zone read just to give another option on second and short and third and short.

We need more wrinkles and scheming to get receivers open and move the chains.

So you are saying you want the Clone offense installed?

So your saying Iowa can NEVER be great? That it would take a freak of nature for that to happen? If this is true then why has Wisconsin been out performing us? We can’t we even beat out those cheese turds?

We were great in 2015 and we did beat Wisconsin. So yes we can be great. Just no room for error.

You have a point....name the coaches interested in Iowa who are better than Ferentz, who would up and move here.

I dont think we ever hear which coaches might be interested in Iowa just because KF isnt going anywhere.

But I would think some very good coaches would love this gig thinking they can be a god by having 8 and 9 win seasons. Other coaches would love being here for 15+ years. I dont think KF needs to go but I would really like him and his coaches to self-evaluate and maybe have an outside evaluation of why they lose 1-2 games a year they should win, why they cant put teams away, and why they have the 100th ranked offense on average.

Granted, just the math of running a clock eating offense is going to hurt your overall total offense stats, plays per game, etc so that is part of the metric.

I would like to see how the offense rank over kirk's years as far as plays per game, yards per play, and scoring.

One of the problems with having both a clock eating offense and a bend but dont break defense is your number of possessions are limited. If you get off to a bad start like against Purdue or dont captitalize on your 4 nice drives in the first half against jNW then follow that up with a miserable offensive 2nd half you get beat when you probably should win.

So it would also be good to know the rank of Iowa's scoring efficiency or points per possession.

My guess is Iowa is hardly ranked in the top 50% in plays per game, yards per play, and scoring, and scoring efficiency per possession.

We were great in 2015 and we did beat Wisconsin. So yes we can be great. Just no room for error.

We weren't great in 15. We were typical with an atypical gutsy QB and a favorable schedule. In my opinion this years team was much "greater" excepting no CJ.

So you are saying you want the Clone offense installed?

No not the clown offense, I really havent watched Iowa St that much. Right now ISU has a very very good running back and several very good receivers. If their passing game drops off and Kempf cant get another year they will really suffer.

I am talking about not always running on 2nd and 3rd and short yardage using the same plays with the same motion where the defense can immediately know where the play is going.

The zone read gives you a counter play capabilitiy and option as does the read run pass option.

Wonder what the QB from California who should be here or will be within the next week thinks about all this nice lovely weather. The way I look at it and the way I would sell it is that if your goal is the NFL, they play in cold nasty weather and we will definitely have some of that here.

Yeah, all things considered if I'm a recruit I can see why warmer weather is appealing, especially for players from those areas. Getting kids to Iowa isn't quite as easy as some of these folks think. Not making excuses, just reality. How many Cold weather teams are in the top 10 right now?

Yeah, all things considered if I'm a recruit I can see why warmer weather is appealing, especially for players from those areas. Getting kids to Iowa isn't quite as easy as some of these folks think. Not making excuses, just reality. How many Cold weather teams are in the top 10 right now?

Iowa's use style of a QB will have more to do with things than the weather. About good QBs, seems Iowa missed on a few really good FCS qbs that were from the midwest.

I New we had a really good year that year but I couldn’t remember if we finished in top four that year. Those three years back to back to back with top ten finishes were great. Kirk was then given the huge contract.

In fairness we have to be honest and assume the contract was given with expectations that the ball would just keep rolling on. Not being unrealistic and expecting it every year but on a pretty consistent basis. If 7-5 was the desired mark then why not give him the huge contract after his third season when he finished 7-5. It was given after those three top ten finishes and I am sure with higher expectations than a 7-5 average. It is what it is.

I am sure there are many wondering what has gotten into BigD as it’s not like him to come on a rag on KF so much. Maybe KF fatigue or just frustration because I always gave him the benefit of a doubt. I figured he was smart enough to make obvious adjustments (especially on offense) and changes when they were needed. “Nope, I am doing it my way and that’s the way it is.” That’s when I started to get angry and fed up at what appears to be an attitude of “this is what I have always done and I’m not changing no matter whether it works or doesn’t work.” I despise that attitude from any person in any profession. That’s why I’ve been so upset and expressing myself so openly.

Even so I was willing to roll with things a little bit after the win over Boston College. The mistake I made is when I went back and took a closer look at Boston College’s win loss record and who they beat and how each of those teams they beat did. That got my blood up again as it appeared to indicate how weak they really were. The win was meaningless when you take a closer look behind the scenes of who Boston College really is or isn’t.

To continuously run the ball against seven or eight in the box is maddening and combine that with a 100% rate that an audible by the QB is going to be a running play. Lack of offensive creativity (not picking on Brian as it’s been this way for a long time).

Really how is it our offense can suck so bad considering our coach has been in the conference longer than any other coach. Geez I would lay off if KF would just let go of his Joe Paterno offensive mindset. It’s boring as hell, it lacks creativity and imagination, and it ranks low in most stats.

Is it too much for him to just try a few different things on offense???????? How many years does it take for him to figure it out and swallow his pride and say maybe we should try something different. That is what really bothers me the most. It almost like he is saying “eff you all I am not changing a damn thing and what are you going to do about it?” The defense is acceptable although an improved pass rush would be nice.

Ok, rant over................. I just had to express my frustration over the offense the last two days. Just want to win with a more entertaining type of offense that’s all. I mean what do you want a totally apathetic fan base full of fans who have grown to just not care. I am not that type of person. I just care too much and want to enjoy the games a little more. You have to go back all the way to coach Commings to see a more boring offense to watch. Ok, DONE, whew.
Yet I think in another thread, I mentioned and still believe, the main difference between Wisconsin and Iowa (success vs. mediocrity) is their defenses. Wisconsin has an offense like Iowa's. If Iowa were to get a defense like Wisconsin's...

Iowa's use style of a QB will have more to do with things than the weather. About good QBs, seems Iowa missed on a few really good FCS qbs that were from the midwest.

True, there is always room for improvement in recruiting for sure. Just isn't an exact science and does take more to get players here. I think the thing that does get frustrating is with the coaching stability and NFL development we have had, we should have more contacts and "pull" to get players to want to come here because of that.

Does anyone ever wonder what a KF program could do with all the 4 and 5 star top recruits that the Dawgs have had every year or would it have been like Richt's tenure at Ga? Lord knows Hairball isn't cutting it with more talent than Kirk.

Yet I think in another thread, I mentioned and still believe, the main difference between Wisconsin and Iowa (success vs. mediocrity) is their defenses. Wisconsin has an offense like Iowa's. If Iowa were to get a defense like Wisconsin's...

I kinda look at it in reverse.

Iowa gets Melvin Gordon in 2010 instead of Wisky, and that probably changes history for the better. I even think of this year, J. Taylor rushes for 1977 yards. IIRC that is more than the combined totals of all of Iowa's running backs! AND HE'S A FRESHMAN!

Latest posts