2nd year Georgia in championship game

All you people saying - just deal with it, we're Iowa, we can't compete with the big boys, we're one hire away from being worse - I sure hope you're not coaches or business owners.

I assume you have the same 'excuse' code in those jobs as well, and I wonder what you tell a kid who is perhaps too short, not strong enough, not quick enough, etc. about reaching his/her performance goals?
"Listen young man, some kids are born with physical gifts, some aren't. I'd suggest you aim no higher than a few minutes of the bench. Maybe focus more on your academics".

All you people saying - just deal with it, we're Iowa, we can't compete with the big boys, we're one hire away from being worse - I sure hope you're not coaches or business owners.

I assume you have the same 'excuse' code in those jobs as well, and I wonder what you tell a kid who is perhaps too short, not strong enough, not quick enough, etc. about reaching his/her performance goals?
"Listen young man, some kids are born with physical gifts, some aren't. I'd suggest you aim no higher than a few minutes of the bench. Maybe focus more on your academics".

So if the fans at Iowa decide they "want it more" do we automatically get to jump a handful of teams in the pecking order? If we jump them, what if their fans decide its time to start wanting it even more than us? Do they jump us again?

So if the fans at Iowa decide they "want it more" do we automatically get to jump a handful of teams in the pecking order? If we jump them, what if their fans decide its time to start wanting it even more than us? Do they jump us again?

Fans? Don't you mean coaches and staff?

Last edited:
I like this post.

The "next year" mantra has lost all meaning. Every year is a rebuilding year.
If Dan Gables was AD with Stoops as HC we wouldn't be told that Iowa is a program that can't replace talent and needs a soft schedule to achieve.
My signature says it all.

Is this Dan Gables related to Coral? If so, hire him as AD because Miami is on the way back up too!

Fans? Don't you mean coaches and staff?

The HC and AD have made it clear they think winning 7 games is good enough.
And by some amazing coincidence KF averages around 7 games.
Goals matter. When his seat is warm he magically wins more. Why? Cuz he works harder and becomes less stubborn, for a while.

"What makes you think he could work harder?"

Did you witness that last job search for a new OC? How about the rules in recruiting: "Once you verbal you won't hear from us again until signing day."
Why was Kirk so keen on an early signing period? Cuz it means he doesn't have to spend as much time coddling teenagers. Coddling requires effort. Effort isn't as fun as non-effort.

L-A-Z-Y
$$$$$-FOCUSED
S-T-U-B-B-O-R-N
THAT'S FOOTBALL

Last edited:
How about at least competing for a conference title on a consistent basis? Iowa will never be relevant as long as KF and Brian are here. Oh no, lets not change though, things might be so much worse.. Worse than what? We aren't relevant now, not competing for conference titles consistently in a very weak division. So why the hesitancy for change? Purdue is on the way up, Nebby will be on the way up with Frost as well. Wisconsin is the class of our division, and seems to reload every year. Us, well we're hanging our hat on hoping Brian can get our juggernaut of an offense in the top 100 in the nation. The bar is extremely high here at Iowa.
Never be relevant? Where were you in 2015? We weren't relevant? We've won 2 orange bowls, been in a rose, multiple outbacks and cap ones, will we be every year, no sir. You have to maximize talent and I think our staff does as good as anyone.

I somewhat disagree with this. Imagine a coach like Fry at Iowa who is an extremely good salesman/orator as a recruiter. I just dont see Kirk being that great salesman in front of recruits and their parents, probably inspiring.

Now add to that a head coach with dynamic offense and defense that attacks and uses all the skills of the players and trying interesting plays and pressure defense etc and you might get a lot more 4 and 5 star players at Iowa. We wouldnt have to get many more to be way ahead of where we are.

Can you see Brian and Kirk trying the reverse pass to a QB that OU did last night?

Did you see how aggressive all those teams are on defense, well maybe not so much OU all the time haha?
Wasnt Fry here for 19 yrs?

You do understand that all of those things your trying to correlate and turn into a comparison in regards to this doesn't work right? Your thinking by firing KF that any ole Joe Blow coach off the street would turn us into OSU and Bamas worst nightmare? What are you even specifically asking for and what are your goals/expectations? You want to hire a new coach and if he's not having a 10 win season in 2 yrs fire him? If not a NC in 4 yrs fire him? How many coaches and transferring of kids are you willing to go through before you realize that wouldn't work? You would have probably fired KF prior to Iowas 3 yr run of finishing in top 10 based on what I feel your unrealistic expectations are. Not every program is created equal. There's a pecking order of sorts. Can Iowa sneak into the top 10 and give the big boys a run for their money some years? You bet. Can they be EXPECTED to do it every year? That'd be awesome but crazy and you'll be let down if you do. You've seen programs like Texas, Michigan, ND, Neb, all have significant drops right the last 10-20 years? So with the wrong coaching hire you don't think Iowa could have that or worse happen? I'd take the occasional 6-6 year as our floor as opposed to it becoming the norm or ceiling...

The HC and AD have made it clear they think winning 7 games is good enough.
And by some amazing coincidence KF averages around 7 games.
Goals matter. When his seat is warm he magically wins more. Why? Cuz he works harder and becomes less stubborn, for a while.

"What makes you think he could work harder?"

Did you witness that last job search for a new OC? How about the rules in recruiting: "Once you verbal you won't hear from us again until signing day."
Why was Kirk so keen on an early signing period? Cuz it means he doesn't have to spend as much time coddling teenagers. Coddling requires effort. Effort isn't as fun as non-effort.

L-A-Z-Y
$$$$$-FOCUSED
S-T-U-B-B-O-R-N
THAT'S FOOTBALL
I guess the entirety of the college football coaching profession, NFL gm's,etc ALL are morons. Gosh they wish they were as smart as a few armchair qbs who can check tape and win multiple championships on Madden. Nice resume, mail it in so your buddies can rag on you why you should be winning more games cuz you are IOWA! Cuz we are I-O-W-A. Seriously. Do you know how dumb iowa fans sound to the rest of college football when we demand to be at the table. Why? Cuz you think you deserve it? Why? Cuz you are some destined anointed by God champion in life? It's Iowa. I'm proud of us. I'm proud of Iowa. But we don't DESERVE or we shouldn't assume what 95% of the rest of college football cant get either. Yes, we all WANT it, just some of us try to lead productive lives in spite of the fact it might not be destined.

Never be relevant? Where were you in 2015? .
2015 is like ancient history!

Do you know how many seasons of PS4 NCAA football he won national championships playing as lil’ ol’ Iowa? Proved there are no recruiting or coaching disadvantages countless times!

Ok...so instead you're just going to complain instead of offering solutions that can be easily picked apart? Good to know.

Ok let’s start with the offense. I would recruit QB’s with speed and go with a spread offense with only one running back in the backfield. This spreads the defense out as they have to cover at least four receivers and possibly five if you throw to the running back. This would have done wonders for Wadley instead of trying to run threw a wall of defender. That would put an end to this seven or eight in the box. If they still want to have seven in the box then they are going to get burnt on some huge pass plays. An absolute change I would do right away is allow Stanley to call audibles to throw the ball. Heck our wide receivers might as well hold up a sign that says were running the ball as soon as Stanley starts to call audibles. It’s one of the most frustrating things I have seen any offense do when you ALWAYS run the ball on every audible. Has anyone ever heard of the element of surprise. Also do more misdirection plays to keep their defense off balance.

We all know the pass rush is lacking in the defensive schemes. We give their QBs way too much time. Yes we have seven guys back in pass coverage but any QB were their salt is going to find an open receiver when they have all day to pass. I would pull the safeties up and have more corner back blitz’s’ especially from the blind side let’s keep their QB worried about getting blindsided a few times. Combine that with rushing five linemen. Yes your pass coverage guys are going to have to be able to get up on the pass receivers more tightly and so they will need to be dang fast.

As far as coaching goes I would look at your most successful football programs and offer a job to one of their coordinators. It’s not likely to be someone from Maine College. Just look how much better Penn State has looked since they got rid of Kirks twin brother, Joe P. Ole Joe always had the better talent but his conservative play calling alway played right into KF’s hands. Again, KF plays better against running teams who don’t utilize the pass. That’s why Boston College was a perfect fit. Their QB was a below average passer and their running back was their key player. If their QB was just average the game would have been more of a challenge and maybe a loss.

Why would Iowa Football change it’s current business model if you looked at the program from a business standpoint? Fact is no smart businessman would!!

2015 is like ancient history!

Do you know how many seasons of PS4 NCAA football he won national championships playing as lil’ ol’ Iowa? Proved there are no recruiting or coaching disadvantages countless times!
I wish NCAA was on the PS4...

Why would Iowa Football change it’s current business model if you looked at the program from a business standpoint? Fact is no smart businessman would!!
From a purely business standpoint, most of the revenue comes from the BTN and is not tied to wins.

So, why wouldn't you try to maximize your wins? Not much risk. Make the fans happy! Enhance your status for the coming age of super-conferences.

Your thinking by firing KF that any ole Joe Blow coach off the street would turn us into OSU and Bamas worst nightmare?
Not at all, and nothing I said even comes remotely close to implying this. Take it to extremes much?

You want to hire a new coach and if he's not having a 10 win season in 2 yrs fire him? If not a NC in 4 yrs fire him?
Again, way to go to extremes. I would be happy with something between that and what we currently do, though.

How many coaches and transferring of kids are you willing to go through before you realize that wouldn't work?
Nice optimism!

You would have probably fired KF prior to Iowas 3 yr run of finishing in top 10 based on what I feel your unrealistic expectations are.
Maybe. If so, then that 3 yr run would never have happened, so we wouldn't know what we missed. Right?

You've seen programs like Texas, Michigan, ND, Neb, all have significant drops right the last 10-20 years?

Yes I have. Are you saying they're down for good? You've seen the future?

So with the wrong coaching hire you don't think Iowa could have that or worse happen?
Sure. Or maybe better. We ain't getting any younger.

And lastly,
You do understand that all of those things your trying to correlate and turn into a comparison in regards to this doesn't work right?

They do work.
Thanks for playing.

Wasnt Fry here for 19 yrs?

20 years someone said but what is your point? I was talking about his perhaps charm and salesmanship as a recruiter to get top recruits. I would say Fry has some really good QBs and receivers, Danan Hughes and I cant think of his name but he played for 5 or more years with the saints. So Fry could get skilled players here, Harmon was a very good RB receiver at Buffalo.

And by year 6 or so he was a night game in bad weather loss at OSU from being undefeated and #1 going into bowl season. And his EDIT: 1991 team with Rodgers at Qb I believe was another mid season loss from having a chance to be in natty title consideration as they finished regular season 10-1. Fry almost did it here and came very close and he had a lot of jims and joes on his team plus great assistants and schemes.

Latest posts