2nd year Georgia in championship game

So what are you saying? Georgia is poor? Georgia is black? Georgia is poor and black? Have you been to a third world nation? Georgia I am sure has to contend with FL, AL, SC (Clemson), TN and so on, much like IL has to contend with Iowa, ND, WI and so on.

Parts of Iowa really don't show very well either. Tried to get a tow truck late in the PM on a cold snowy day recently between CR and Ames and it was like dealing with our perceptions of say the Bayou of LA.

I can see where you would get that idea from my post. I meant that it so open and desolate in the some areas especially in the country as to where all these kids are located that its amazing that some of them are even found. If you have never drove around or been there it takes several hours to get to some of the places. It is a talent rich state and you are correct that the states that surround Ga are recruiting a lot of those kids too. Just amazed of how many in state talent there is.
Am I putting the state down? No I plan to retire there.
Yes outside of the major cities Ga is a poor state.
Yes if you count fighting in Iraq, time in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia I've been in third world countries.

I can see where you would get that idea from my post. I meant that it so open and desolate in the some areas especially in the country as to where all these kids are located that its amazing that some of them are even found. If you have never drove around or been there it takes several hours to get to some of the places. It is a talent rich state and you are correct that the states that surround Ga are recruiting a lot of those kids too. Just amazed of how many in state talent there is.
Am I putting the state down? No I plan to retire there.
Yes outside of the major cities Ga is a poor state.
Yes if you count fighting in Iraq, time in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia I've been in third world countries.

Not sure what you call those countries. Glad you clarified this. Been to rural Georgia. Plains is a total hoot.

Iowa could have the athleticism of Michigan, right now. Michigan is a conservative team, by and large, with high-starred athletes. The differences being Michigan allows more players on offense and defense use their athleticism. I don't see why this is so hard to understand.

The fault with the lack of high-starred athletes for Iowa lies with KF's system. Some may say this is a good thing. I say this is the main reason Iowa is uncompetitive on the national stage.

How could Iowa have the same athleticism as Michigan? And, by and large, recwntly we have been more competitive than Michigan, both head to head and overall.

Not sure what you call those countries. Glad you clarified this. Been to rural Georgia. Plains is a total hoot.

In retrospect last year my wife and I decided to drive across southern Ga into Bamma just to Sunday drive and bypass Atlanta and Bamma isn't much better. Amazed at what you see and how others live. But I do think that those are some of the nicest people and eager to help you than any other place I've been in the U.S. Black or white they are some down right home people. We wouldn't know it here because all we see is the inner city crap the media puts up to give us impressions that we are farther apart as a society and reality we are more alike and have a lot of the same dreams and desires in life.
Now get on your way to a 6th movie as I'm going through withdraws!

How could Iowa have the same athleticism as Michigan? And, by and large, recwntly we have been more competitive than Michigan, both head to head and overall.
I kind of scratch my head on this one too! Maybe Hairball isn't the coach and second coming of Christ the world and Michigan thought he was?

So what are you saying? Georgia is poor? Georgia is black? Georgia is poor and black? Have you been to a third world nation? Georgia I am sure has to contend with FL, AL, SC (Clemson), TN and so on, much like IL has to contend with Iowa, ND, WI and so on.

Parts of Iowa really don't show very well either. Tried to get a tow truck late in the PM on a cold snowy day recently between CR and Ames and it was like dealing with our perceptions of say the Bayou of LA.

Oops...

by and large, recwntly we have been more competitive than Michigan, both head to head and overall.

Depends on your definition of "recently", but "more competitive overall" is shaky...

.....................MICH.........................................IOWA
2015...10-3, #12 AP, won Citrus Bowl.......12-2, #9, lost Rose Bowl
2016...10-3, #10,.......lost Orange Bowl...... 8-5, lost Outback Bowl
2017... 8-5,...............lost Outback Bowl......8-5, won Pinstripe Bowl

Iowa could have the athleticism of Michigan, right now. Michigan is a conservative team, by and large, with high-starred athletes. The differences being Michigan allows more players on offense and defense use their athleticism. I don't see why this is so hard to understand.

The fault with the lack of high-starred athletes for Iowa lies with KF's system. Some may say this is a good thing. I say this is the main reason Iowa is uncompetitive on the national stage.
How many 5 star elite athletes did Hayden Fry get with his character, style and creativity?

I have said it before but I think KF has a bad taste in his mouth from some high maintenance high star recruits back in 2005-6 to 2008 or so. KF wants good character as much as stars. I am not going to say if that is good or bad.
Agreed. How does anyone fault a guy for knowing he can develop kids enough to compete with teams that have 5* players? To think he wouldn't LOVE to have 5 * players fall into his lap is ridiculous. Alabama doesnt recruit any harder than we do. Ohio State? Michigan? Hell Harbaugh was signing autographs in the Michigan school he stole our 3* from. And we are expected to BEAT these programs on an Iowa sell. God bless Hayden Fry for getting us back on the map.....but.....he wasn't pulling them in either. If he was HE must have been a TERRIBLE coach to be stuck with the same TERRIBLE results as Ferentz has had.

IIRC Tim Dwight and Tavian Banks were two of the highest-rated skill-position players coming into Fry's team and neither one were easy sells, even for Hayden. I believe Banks was strongly considering Miami-FL and Stanford was leaning on Dwight big time. Then again Fry, like Evy and KF kept saying how difficult it was to recruit at a place like Iowa. It was an annual occurrence with Fry along with blowing up at the media at a press conference about some perceived slap in the face.

How many 5 star elite athletes did Hayden Fry get with his character, style and creativity?
You're right. Hayden didn't successfully recruit many high-starred, high school athletes.
For example, Hayden took Long, an unheralded high school option QB out of Illinois, and made him into a pro-style drop back passer with some success in college.o_O He took Harmon, an unheralded, shifty high school running back that could also catch passes, and made him into an effective running back in the pros and college.

What I'm saying is if Iowa could, and quite conceivably should, recruit high-starred high school athletes and accommodate some of them, Iowa would have a national powerhouse in football using the 'Kirk-ball' system they have now.. Iowa could be considered 'Alabama-lite'.

Iowa could be 'Wisky-like' in its success if the system at Iowa is changed to be more solid (IMO, on defense). A team with a solid system, like Wisky, for example, can make up for some lack of high caliber athletic talent. The difference between Alabama and Wisky is the level of talent on Alabama. Alabama is in the national championship hunt every year while Wisky is just behind the national championship contenders every year.

There's no coincidence most powerhouse college football teams have their plethora of high talent. The balance is to accommodate some of that talent while controlling the talent. For example, KF has a total choke hold on all facets of the Iowa program. Saban, for example, of Alabama demands total control of the program but allows his other coaches to coach (until he hates their coaching or play calling).

Last edited:

5 star I don't know, but HF did successfully recruit highly sought after players.Mark Vlasic being one. Reggie Roby being another. . It's hard to find, but I just don't see how some of you come up with this stuff. Like saying KF had better wins. That's just wrong. Both coaches have had challenges to overcome. Both are/were good at finding rough diamonds.

You're right. Hayden didn't successfully recruit many high-starred, high school athletes.
For example, Hayden took Long, an unheralded high school option QB out of Illinois, and made him into a pro-style drop back passer with some success in college.o_O He took Harmon, an unheralded, shifty high school running back that could also catch passes, and made him into an effective running back in the pros and college.

What I'm saying is if Iowa could, and quite conceivably should, recruit high-starred high school athletes and accommodate some of them, Iowa would have a national powerhouse in football using the 'Kirk-ball' system they have now.. Iowa could be considered 'Alabama-lite'.

Iowa could be 'Wisky-like' in its success if the system at Iowa is changed to be more solid (IMO, on defense). A team with a solid system, like Wisky, for example, can make up for some lack of high caliber athletic talent. The difference between Alabama and Wisky is the level of talent on Alabama. Alabama is in the national championship hunt every year while Wisky is just behind the national championship contenders every year.

There's no coincidence most powerhouse college football teams have their plethora of high talent. The balance is to accommodate some of that talent while controlling the talent. For example, KF has a total choke hold on all facets of the Iowa program. Saban, for example, of Alabama demands total control of the program but allows his other coaches to coach (until he hates their coaching or play calling).
If Iowa wasn't Iowa, I agree. But Iowa is Iowa. It's not a place most people, especially young people who have lived somewhere else, want to go.

5 star I don't know, but HF did successfully recruit highly sought after players.Mark Vlasic being one. Reggie Roby being another. . It's hard to find, but I just don't see how some of you come up with this stuff. Like saying KF had better wins. That's just wrong. Both coaches have had challenges to overcome. Both are/were good at finding rough diamonds.
I love Hayden Fry. I just will never understand how people pick on KF for having the same record at the same place with the same geographical disadvantages, etc and say KF is bad . I mean how? I think Hayden is a slightly better coach, I honestly do. He'll he hired KF. But how do I say Hayden is a great coach and Kirk is bad? It's mind numbing. They are both good coaches, I love them both.

Great points! I agree on most of what you said. Easier said tjan done for a coach at Iowa, but true. Maybe he undersells the athletes he does get. Maybe they are able to handle more complex defenses or offenses that require more speed and athletes than he thinks we have. He recruits and evaluates who he has. Knows what they can do better than you or I can. I guess he has a formula that is successful more often than its not and he knows with a few breaks and bounces, you get 2015 or 2002. "Thats football?" I guess a lot of the more vocal kirk haters are bigger gamblers than Kirk. Its hard to turn your back on something you know gets you 7-9 (edit: 7-10 is more accurate) wins a year, sometimes above occasionally below. When you don't compete with the same caliber of athlete, you use what keeps you in the fighting chance category. If someone has the magical recruiting powder please sprinkle it generously. It would take 3-5 Year 10 win string to turn young kid's heads our way. It's tough to do.

Last edited:

You read an awful lot into his post I don't think was there.

I’ve got a list of 11 P5 2nd yr coaches that didn’t make the CG.

Latest posts