2nd year Georgia in championship game

I love Hayden Fry. I just will never understand how people pick on KF for having the same record at the same place with the same geographical disadvantages, etc and say KF is bad . I mean how? I think Hayden is a slightly better coach, I honestly do. He'll he hired KF. But how do I say Hayden is a great coach and Kirk is bad? It's mind numbing. They are both good coaches, I love them both.

Let me take a stab at it. I'll divide it into sections.

1. I start with the premise that KF had a tough act to follow.
2. KF and HF have similarities. HF was more conservative than his legend. He loved the prevent late in games. He hated throwing down the middle. People also thought HF didn't play the best QB between Long and Vlasic, but wow what a choice.
3. HF was naturally likable. KF isn't. HF had confidence. KF comes off a bit arrogant.

Early Issues.

1. Fans wanted Bobby Stoops. Anyone who watched him play thought that would be present with him as a coach. He was fun to watch.
2. The contract negotiations came off as indifferent or arrogant. When HF actually applied at USC, people were offended, but he mended fences by saying that he'd talked it over with his staff and the goal was win a National Title. USC offered the faster route to get there. Notice he implied they wanted a national championship. Not on KF's radar.
3. The seemingly never ending idea he was leaving and he didn't really throw water on the fire.
4. KF didn't throw water on the fire that he was left with a bare cupboard. I've lived in a number of Big states and when someone leaves and things aren't going well, the stable that was left is always to blame. I personally don't believe the cupboard was bare.
5. KF didn't really have the credentials to be hired. He wasn't very successful at Maine. He had no real same level leadership or even a high level coordinator position. He learned on the job.
6. The first two years were a disaster. He will always be compared to HF. HF had a certain success immediately.
7. KF openly suggests Iowa isn't a great place to recruit to. HF said that track times weren't as fast in the Midwest and we needed that and would have to look elsewhere.
9. Iowa fans are hungry. A large (maybe not majority) part of the base want to win regardless of the system. Playing what are perceived to be lesser players in QB position and maybe RB rubs people the wrong way. McCann wasn't a bad QB. He wasn't BB.
10. The first downturn didn't hurt him much, but was amplified by the start. Maybe it was BB was the thought. The 2nd one did him great harm. The fall off in talent and another QB controversy didn't help. He came across as arrogant.
11. The Weigers/Robinson fiascos/rape charges (where admin coverup was implied) and the SI Top rating for arrests all came in a relative short time and left a bad taste in peoples mouths. Some though A Rob wasn't given enough grace given he'd given his brain to Iowa football.
12. The Doyle/Rhabdo situation is a part of the equation. If he'd said we made a mistake and it won't happen again...it's OK. Instead there was the award. Came off as highly arrogant.
13. The Ohio State game on the road where he played conservative having ridden a young QB filling in to success and then when the interception almost happened and played for overtime.... what more can be said. Some hate that.
14. The "Catch". Once the celebrating fans calmed down they remember the extreme frustration that the clock was horribly mismanaged. KF's biggest moment was actually a colossal coaching failure.
15. Inept up and down offense in sometimes back to back games seemingly based mostly on play calling.
16. Not seeming to care about ISU, but I sense ISU isn't as important as it once was.
17. Not being prepared in many bowl games. The Rose Bowl was like they had no idea who the RB was or what he could do.
18. More recent contract negotiations.
19. Hiring his own unproven son which comes off a bit arrogant.
20. He seems to change enough when the chips are all down to make changes...again a bit arrogant.

It boils down to:

Bad PR start.
Extreme Conservatism
Not all that likable and maybe arrogant.

None of the 20 points alone make most anyone negative on KF. It's a combination in conjunction with the "boiled down" perceptions.

I am not saying he should be fired. I'm simply pointing out what has added up to people not liking him.

Last edited:

2. KF and HF have similarities. HF was more conservative than his legend. He loved the prevent late in games. He hated throwing down the middle. People also thought HF didn't play the best QB between Long and Vlasic, but wow what a choice.
3. HF was naturally likable. KF isn't. HF had confidence. KF comes off a bit arrogant.

Early Issues.

1. Fan wanted Bobby Stoops. Anyone who watched him play thought that would be present with him as a coach. He was fun to watch.
2. The contract negotiations came off as indifferent or arrogant. When HF actually applied at USC, people were offended, but he mended fences by saying that he'd talked it over with his staff and the goal was win a National Title. USC offered the faster route to get there. Notice he implied they wanted a national championship. Not on KF's radar.
3. The seemingly never ending idea he was leaving and he didn't really throw water on the fire.
4. KF didn't throw water on the fire that he was left with a bare cupboard. I've lived in a number of Big states and when someone leaves and things aren't going well, the stable that was left is always to blame. I personally don't believe the cupboard was bare.
5. KF didn't really have the credentials to be hired. He wasn't very successful at Maine. He had no real same level leadership or even a high level coordinator position. He learned on the job.
6. The first two years were a disaster. He will always be compared to HF. HF had a certain success immediately.
7. KF openly suggests Iowa isn't a great place to recruit to. HF said that track times weren't as fast in the Midwest and we needed that and would have to look elsewhere.
9. Iowa fans are hungry. A large (maybe not majority) part of the base want to win regardless of the system. Playing what are perceived to be lesser players in QB position and maybe RB rubs people the wrong way. McCann wasn't a bad QB. He wasn't BB.
10. The first downturn didn't hurt him much, but was amplified by the start. Maybe it was BB was the thought. The 2nd one did him great harm. The fall off in talent and another QB controversy didn't help. He came across as arrogant.
11. The Weigers/Robinson fiascos/rape charges (where admin coverup was implied) and the SI Top rating for arrests all came in a relative short time and left a bad taste in peoples mouths. Some though A Rob wasn't given enough grace given he'd given his brain to Iowa football.
12. The Doyle/Rhabdo situation is a part of the equation. If he'd said we made a mistake and it won't happen again...it's OK. Instead there was the award. Came off as highly arrogant.
13. The Ohio State game on the road where he played conservative having ridden a young QB filling in to success and then when the interception almost happened and played for overtime.... what more can be said. Some hate that.
14. The "Catch". Once the celebrating fans calmed down they remember the extreme frustration that the clock was horribly mismanaged. KF's biggest moment was actually a colossal coaching failure.
15. Inept up and down offense in sometimes back to back games seemingly based mostly on play calling.
16. Not seeming to care about ISU, but I sense ISU isn't as important as it once was.
17. Not being prepared in many bowl games. The Rose Bowl was like they had no idea who the RB was or what he could do.
20. He seems to change enough when the chips are all down to make changes...again a bit arrogant.

It boils down to:

Bad PR start.
Extreme Conservatism

None of the 19 points alone make most anyone negative on KF. It's a combination in conjunction with the "boiled down" perceptions.

I am not saying he should be fired. I'm simply pointing out what has added up to people not liking him.

Nailed it.
There are some additional things, but the gist of it is, KF "earned" the HC position with the help of an incompetent AD . . . and his son will just flat out be awarded the HC position because of a different incompetent AD. The HC position is a big deal at any P5 school. Especially a P5 school which is the defacto pro franchise in its state. Also the Saint Ferentz thing has gotten out of hand. Bill Gates has given away more money in real terms and as a percentage of his wealth than KF. And if you think that makes Gates a saint you are nuts.

Last edited:
Their 17 year coach Mark Richt couldn’t get them their so they let him go. I followed Richt with interest since he took over a Georgia program that had dropped off. He and Kirk were hired about the same time and like Kirk within a couple of years he had the Georgia program back being a contender for an SEC title. The knock on him by Georgia fans was that he had trouble winning the big game. Yet his win loss record was more impressive than Kirk’s.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/mark-richt-1.html

A more successful coach for 17 years was let go because he couldn’t get them to the Championship game. The goal for most true blue blood players and fans is to play for a National title. They gave Richt 17 years to try to do it. Eventually it became evident that he just didn’t have it in him to get them there. He had a clean program and let players go when they committed serious violations of team rules or broke the laws of the land. That is something else that Mark and Kirk had in common.

Yet the fans were wanting more and they decided to take a chance and let Richt go. Now just two years later they are playing for a national title. Something they would not have experienced if they didn’t have the courage to hire a new coach. Ironically they just played and beat a first year coach at Oklahoma. In just two years one coach was able to do what Kirk couldn’t do in eighteen years. Also in two years another coach was able to do in one year what Kirk never achieved and that was to play in the BCS bowl championship series. It’s extremely unlikely that Kirk will ever recruit and coach at a high enough level to ever play in the four game playoffs. Apparently the powers that be and the fan base have decided that they would concede and give up on wanting more. This is either out of fear of failure, fear of change or the spirit of indifference neither of which is in the spirit of true competition. The old saying really is true “No guts no glory”.

Alabama was down for decades as was USC, but the right hire changed everything for both schools. Notre Dame, Michigan, and Nebraska have gone though numerous coaches in pursuit of excellence, but at least they are trying. Iowa has chose not to try. In Kirk we will rust.

Oh GEEZ. How dare you stir things up like that. You're kind of coming off all high and mighty mister.

Get back in line!!

Great points! I agree on most of what you said. Easier said tjan done for a coach at Iowa, but true. Maybe he undersells the athletes he does get. Maybe they are able to handle more complex defenses or offenses that require more speed and athletes than he thinks we have. He recruits and evaluates who he has. Knows what they can do better than you or I can. I guess he has a formula that is successful more often than its not and he knows with a few breaks and bounces, you get 2015 or 2002. "Thats football?" I guess a lot of the more vocal kirk haters are bigger gamblers than Kirk. Its hard to turn your back on something you know gets you 7-9 wins a year, sometimes above occasionally below. When you don't compete with the same caliber of athlete, you use what keeps you in the fighting chance category. If someone has the magical recruiting powder please sprinkle it generously. It would take 3-5 Year 10 win string to turn young kid's heads our way. It's tough to do.

Just for the record, KF has only reached the 9 win plateau 3x in the past 13 years.

Just for the record, KF has only reached the 9 win plateau 3x in the past 13 years.
What does that have to do with my point? In the last 17 seasons (taking out his first 3 rebuild seasons) he has won between 7-9 games 9 times, so sometimes above (5×) and occasionally below (2×) is exactly my point. What was yours? Fyi in those 17 seasons, 6x 9 wins or more. Sounds like what i said, and as everyone knows about KF and Iowa football, is pretty accurate

Early Issues.

1. Fan wanted Bobby Stoops. Anyone who watched him play thought that would be present with him as a coach. He was fun to watch.

It boils down to:

Bad PR start.
Extreme Conservatism

None of the 19 points alone make most anyone negative on KF. It's a combination in conjunction with the "boiled down" perceptions.

1. All time Iowa wins leader
2. NINE January 1 bowl games
3. FOUR January 1 bowl wins
4. Undefeated regular season (12-0 best all-time)
5. Chose to stay at Iowa over TONS of NFL offers, seriously, if fry was stalked like that he would have been gone.
6. Several wins over Michigan
7. Several wins over Penn State
8. FIVE top 10 finishes
9. Gives to the University (hospital)
10. Is highly regarded by the coaching profession and NFL
11. Is a great representative for Iowa in the national picture.
12. Is fiercely loyal to his players, emotional
I could have listed several of the above as singular individual events as you did. I think watching Iowa on Jan 1 as often as I have under KF is HUGE, about every other year avg. How many times did Fry give you that? Yea, it's easier now, ok, ok, but there we are half the time on New Year's Day. Think ISU would have enjoyed it ONCE it the past 20 years?
Your list is good, it is, great stuff, but some of it just happens to a program under a microscope. Think OSU, Alabama or Michigan dont have those types of issues as well?

Number of 9 win seasons KF has had? 1

"7-8 wins a year, sometimes above occasionally..." would be more accurate. I know you prefer accuracy to glossing up all things KF.
Fixed it...7-10 is more accurate. Should make you happy. Sorry to KF for down playing his actual accomplishments

5. Chose to stay at Iowa over TONS of NFL offers, seriously, if fry was stalked like that he would have been gone.
8. FIVE top 10 finishes
I could have listed several of the above as singular individual events as you did. I think watching Iowa on Jan 1 as often as I have under KF is HUGE, about every other year avg. How many times did Fry give you that? Yea, it's easier now, ok, ok, but there we are half the time on New Year's Day. Think ISU would have enjoyed it ONCE it the past 20 years?
Your list is good, it is, great stuff, but some of it just happens to a program under a microscope. Think OSU, Alabama or Michigan dont have those types of issues as well?

You asked a question and I gave you an answer. Those are the main reasons why whether you agree or like iike or not.

8. FIVE top 10 finishes

10, 11, 12 are debatable. I doubt he is current NFL material as HC or coordinator and not just because of age. There are more bowl games and ones on Jan 1.

On the National picture there are some giggles. I do think it is an opponents nightmare to get Ferentzed if you are good. I got the idea that Urban would rather get smoked than totally dominate and lose.... being Ferentzed.

How he has handled some player issues is not being fiercely loyal.

That said you make great points why people are fans of KF.

Like it or not he will always be compared to HF good and bad. I hated 3rd and long shovel passes. I was so excited when Iowa finally had a coach that would throw down the middle. Of course that backfired on AZ sand.

10, 11, 12 are debatable. I doubt he is current NFL material as HC or coordinator and not just because of age. There are more bowl games and ones on Jan 1.

On the National picture there are some giggles. I do think it is an opponents nightmare to get Ferentzed if you are good. I got the idea that Urban would rather get smoked than totally dominate and lose.... being Ferentzed.

How he has handled some player issues is not being fiercely loyal.

That said you make great points why people are fans of KF.

Like it or not he will always be compared to HF good and bad. I hated 3rd and long shovel passes. I was so excited when Iowa finally had a coach that would throw down the middle. Of course that backfired on AZ sand.
I think a more accurate statement is 10, 11, and 12, are subjective.

10, yes, the KF to the NFL ship sailed a long, long, time ago, but the way Iowa players are regarded in the NFL, and the way many NFL coaches and front office people speak of him suggests to me that there is still a great amount of respect for the way he runs his program, W/L record not withstanding.

11 really depends on how you want your coach to act. I'm glad KF doesn't go make an ass of himself on TV constantly like Harbaugh or Fleck, or provide constant material for opposing teams to pin on the board in their locker rooms. Would I like him to show more emotion or fire at times? Hell yes, but as I've heard from a handful of former players, there's a side to him that doesn't get seen by the public.

12 I'd have to disagree with you there. A handful of issues is not the norm. There is a plethora of former Iowa players, both stars and journeymen, who speak of the great things KF has done for them. Sure, there's a couple of guys who don't see it that way, but every coach has players who hate them. It's not his job to be their friend though. And again, there is a side to KF we don't see. We'd like to see him heap more praise on guys like Akrum Wadley, but from what I can tell, Wadley has a good relationship with KF, so it really doesn't matter, because he's not coaching the fans.

These are just my views on said points, but I can absolutely see the other side of them as well. Like you said, it's points on why people may like KF.

8. FIVE top 10 finishes

That's a respectable list you've put together, mixing subjective with objective points.

However, I'm really scratching my head on #5. Is that actually a fact or a conjured wive's tale told to leverage a severely one-sided contract?

I ask because anything I can find about the "Ferentz-to-the-NFL" narratives calls them whispers and rumors. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place for the "meat-on-the-bone" that makes it more real. Please point this wayward soul in the right direction.

Of course we all know a stand up guy would never condone a false narrative to be floated in order to gain an economic outcome in a contract negotiation that was possibly not deserved - would he?

That's a respectable list you've put together, mixing subjective with objective points.

However, I'm really scratching my head on #5. Is that actually a fact or a conjured wive's tale told to leverage a severely one-sided contract?

I ask because anything I can find about the "Ferentz-to-the-NFL" narratives calls them whispers and rumors. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place for the "meat-on-the-bone" that makes it more real. Please point this wayward soul in the right direction.

Of course we all know a stand up guy would never condone a false narrative to be floated in order to gain an economic outcome in a contract negotiation that was possibly not deserved - would he?
Im not sure what you were doing in the early-mid 2000's but i was hoping every Ferentz to the NFL rumor was not true. KF was mentioned for just about every NFL job, and that if he wanted to go to the NFL he could have based on his connections with Gm's.

Im not sure what you were doing in the early-mid 2000's but i was hoping every Ferentz to the NFL rumor was not true. KF was mentioned for just about every NFL job, and that if he wanted to go to the NFL he could have based on his connections with Gm's.

I was there with you. Cheering for the Hawks and hoping that the KF to the NFL narrative was not true. But history is often best digested long after the fact.

I'm aware of your past reasonable posts in favor of KF. Logical and well balanced. However red flags are actually red for those who are not color blind and all I'm asking for is some tangible evidence that KF was teetering on bolting to the NFL.

Sorry bro - but "connections with GM's" does not cut it in the land of admissible evidence.

Unless I see otherwise KF will always remain someone who has done a lot of good for the U of I but is far removed from being canonized a football saint or a living legend.

From my perspective he pulled off a check mate with a pawn. Well played Mr KF.

What does that have to do with my point? In the last 17 seasons (taking out his first 3 rebuild seasons) he has won between 7-9 games 9 times, so sometimes above (5×) and occasionally below (2×) is exactly my point. What was yours? Fyi in those 17 seasons, 6x 9 wins or more. Sounds like what i said, and as everyone knows about KF and Iowa football, is pretty accurate

A couple of things. If you are omitting his first 3 seasons, KF has won between 7-9 games 8x, not 9x. And he has won below 7 games 3x, not 2x. I know 2012 was a trainwreck. You forgetting that one?

Look you stated matter-of-factly that KF is good for 7- 9 wins per year. Um, No. As someone else pointed out he is good for 7 - 8 wins per year. Since his successful three-year run ending in 2004, KF has averaged 7.76 wins per year and averaged 5.07 losses. That is 13 years of MEDIOCRITY. Throw out the two outliers, 2012 and 2015, he still averages 7.72 wins vs. 5.1 losses. Again he has only reached the 9-win plateau 3x since 2004. For comparison, Wisconsin, with three different coaches, has reached that plateau ELEVEN times. Think about that for a moment. 11 out of 13 years. KF, 3 out 13.

Since being awarded his first lifetime contract in 2010, after winning a meaningless Orange Bowl (our presence there instead of a possible B1G title and Rose Bowl due to his coaching scared at the end of the Ohio St game) KF has only reached 9 wins ONCE. His overall record is 62-42. That is 7.75 wins vs 5.25 losses.

His performance as a coach has been mediocre at best these past 13 seasons. These days most coaches are gone after 3-5 years of this MEDIOCRITY, but our coach is going on 14 years of it now. And there is a disparity between his success as a coach and his compensation.

Do you believe KF is deserving of the 10th highest total compensation this year? Pretty sure that's the case if you read my post in another thread. It is naive to think his salary happens in a vacuum, just like Barta's $6 million dollar settlement. Similarily, it would be naive to believe the generosity of these lifetime contracts don't lead to some degree of complacency.

Do you believe he is putting the program ahead of his own selfish interests? Do you believe he should be allowed to select his successor? If so why? His mediocre winning percentage? Do you believe Nepotism is healthy for any organization?

Let me ask you this, at this point do you think he is more likely to win 12 games in one season like 2015, or lose 8 like in 2012?

I know, it's irrelevant, because he is good for 7 - 8 wins per year. And the 'Saint goes marching on.'

Last edited:
A couple of things. If you are omitting his first 3 seasons, KF has won between 7-9 games 8x, not 9x. And he has won below 7 games 3x, not 2x. I know 2012 was a trainwreck. You forgetting that one?

Look you stated matter-of-factly that KF is good for 7- 9 wins per year. Um, No. As someone else pointed out he is good for 7 - 8 wins per year. Since his successful three-year run ending in 2004, KF has averaged 7.76 wins per year and averaged 5.07 losses. That is 13 years of MEDIOCRITY. Throw out the two outliers, 2012 and 2015, he still averages 7.72 wins vs. 5.1 losses. Again he has only reached the 9-win plateau 3x since 2004. For comparison, Wisconsin, with three different coaches, has reached that plateau ELEVEN times. Think about that for a moment. 11 out of 13 years. KF, 3 out 13.

Since being awarded his first lifetime contract in 2010, after winning a meaningless Orange Bowl (our presence there instead of a possible B1G title and Rose Bowl due to his coaching scared at the end of the Ohio St game) KF has only reached 9 wins ONCE. His overall record is 62-42. That is 7.75 wins vs 5.25 losses.

His performance as a coach has been mediocre at best these past 13 seasons. These days most coaches are gone after 3-5 years of this MEDIOCRITY, but our coach is going on 14 years of it now. And there is a disparity between his success as a coach and his compensation.

Do you believe KF is deserving of the 10th highest total compensation this year? Pretty sure that's the case if you read my post in another thread. It is naive to think his salary happens in a vacuum, just like Barta's $6 million dollar settlement. Similarily, it would be naive to believe the generosity of these lifetime contracts don't lead to some degree of complacency.

Do you believe he is putting the program ahead of his own selfish interests? Do you believe he should be allowed to select his successor? If so why? His mediocre winning percentage? Do you believe Nepotism is healthy for any organization?

Let me ask you this, at this point do you think he is more likely to win 12 games in one season like 2015, or lose 8 like in 2012?

I know, it's irrelevant, because he is good for 7 - 8 wins per year. And the 'Saint goes marching on.'
Look at my earlier post about his achievements and go root for the Badgers.

You don't like him. Congratulations. You are entitled. So he's not the all time best coach ever. Think that guy is coming to Iowa any time soon? Suppose you are the best looking guy of all time? No? Good enough? Probably. Thank god for you right? Do you have a point? What are your views on Hayden Fry? Or ANY other Iowa coach in history?

I was there with you. Cheering for the Hawks and hoping that the KF to the NFL narrative was not true. But history is often best digested long after the fact.

I'm aware of your past reasonable posts in favor of KF. Logical and well balanced. However red flags are actually red for those who are not color blind and all I'm asking for is some tangible evidence that KF was teetering on bolting to the NFL.

Sorry bro - but "connections with GM's" does not cut it in the land of admissible evidence.

Unless I see otherwise KF will always remain someone who has done a lot of good for the U of I but is far removed from being canonized a football saint or a living legend.

From my perspective he pulled off a check mate with a pawn. Well played Mr KF.
Just this year Peter King called him one of the best coaches is all of college football. He was mentioned THIS YEAR as a possible NY Giants coach and that the league will always view him as a good head coach candidate. Not your opinion, sure, but you don't run a professional football team. I'd say their opinion of KF is less biased than yours or mine. I like him as a coach for our program. He has done us proud. He has done no worse than Fry and that is fact. An argument dismissing KF as a good coach for Iowa is diminishing a top 25 all time program as relevant at all then, as he is the all time winningest coach of said program. Otherwise the argument is that iowa all time sucks? All time? I'll still root for this terrible football program. Sounds like I should sell out and worship Wisconsin though. Good for them. Really. They probably would laugh at Hayden Fry. What did he do in comparison to their last 13 years? What a TERRIBLE coach, Oh, and historically they DO rank above Iowa. Are you mad at the other 23 teams above us historically out of 120?+ ?programs?

Look at my earlier post about his achievements and go root for the Badgers.
After the Badgers, which of the other top 23 all time college football programs above Iowa should we hope to be? What entitles your opinion of Iowa football as being a right given to you by God that we should be better than Wisconsin? What is it about Iowa that we should demand respect or the assumption of greatness? Do you know what it is? It's sustained success the past 40 years of Hayden Fry AND Kirk Ferentz that even gives you to opportunity to pretend to be entitled. Wipe either or both from coaching at Iowa and you are just Iowa State happy to sniff a bowl here and there. Any Jan 1 bowl games for the program just west of us in the last 30+ yrs? Why? Drink the same water? Live in the same state? Have same opportunities to hire good coaches? Think they try to win? Why haven't they? Why is Illinois not Good? Minnesota? Why has Notre Dame been down? Why doesn't Indiana or Purdue win as much as Iowa the past 20+ years? It couldnt be coaching could it? It has to be that God has just ordained Iowa to be good. A monkey couldnt walk in and do it before 1980, but since it appears that every monkey could do it better.

Latest posts