2nd year Georgia in championship game

My wife and I go to Georgia a couple times of year. If you drive through the country you will be left with an impression of a third world in places. Looking through Georgia's roster It's unbelievable at how many of those kids are Georgia kids. It must be a recruiting paradise!

Does anyone ever wonder what a KF program could do with all the 4 and 5 star top recruits that the Dawgs have had every year or would it have been like Richt's tenure at Ga? Lord knows Hairball isn't cutting it with more talent than Kirk.

Remember Kirks big class after 02 Orange?
Huge let down.
I seriously don't think Kirkball would benefit tremendously from all 4 and 5 star guys.
I think there are other factors involved in fitting in with Kirkball, probably far more complicated than we think.

Huge let down.
I seriously don't think Kirkball would benefit tremendously from all 4 and 5 star guys.
I think there are other factors involved in fitting in with Kirkball, probably far more complicated than we think.
True! They have to be much more complicated than we know because it sure looks easy to diagnose the issues watching the games from the stands or T.V.!! But Ahh..What the hell do we know!

Huge let down.

I was thinking about that exact point and was glad that you pointed it out. That was a huge disappointing time for
Huge let down.

Yes that was quite an event watching those All American high school recruits coming on live tv and committing to Iowa. Man we’re things looking great at that point. It appeared to be the makings of a dynasty. In regards to his pay raise it was justified at that time out of concerns of a blue blood and the NFL coming to poach him from Iowa. The mistake made was the longevity of the contract. Six or seven years or even ten would have sufficed.

I really liked the 2002 squad which in my opinion was head and shoulders above the 2015 squad.

I kinda look at it in reverse.

Iowa gets Melvin Gordon in 2010 instead of Wisky, and that probably changes history for the better. I even think of this year, J. Taylor rushes for 1977 yards. IIRC that is more than the combined totals of all of Iowa's running backs! AND HE'S A FRESHMAN!

We needed their experienced OTs also, not just newbies getting the kitchen sink thrown at them, and Wisky had the experienced QB and not to mention they were at home. Go back and watch the stunts their defense was throwing at the youngsters up front.

I dont think we ever hear which coaches might be interested in Iowa just because KF isnt going anywhere.

But I would think some very good coaches would love this gig thinking they can be a god by having 8 and 9 win seasons. Other coaches would love being here for 15+ years. I dont think KF needs to go but I would really like him and his coaches to self-evaluate and maybe have an outside evaluation of why they lose 1-2 games a year they should win, why they cant put teams away, and why they have the 100th ranked offense on average.

Granted, just the math of running a clock eating offense is going to hurt your overall total offense stats, plays per game, etc so that is part of the metric.

I would like to see how the offense rank over kirk's years as far as plays per game, yards per play, and scoring.

One of the problems with having both a clock eating offense and a bend but dont break defense is your number of possessions are limited. If you get off to a bad start like against Purdue or dont captitalize on your 4 nice drives in the first half against jNW then follow that up with a miserable offensive 2nd half you get beat when you probably should win.

So it would also be good to know the rank of Iowa's scoring efficiency or points per possession.

My guess is Iowa is hardly ranked in the top 50% in plays per game, yards per play, and scoring, and scoring efficiency per possession.
Agree or disagree, the staff clearly promotes the idea that we will use our best product, line play, to be successful. They also tell everyone who will listen that the point of a clock eating run game and bend but dont break defense is to shorten the game, slow the tempo, so we take away the clear advantage in athletes that the better big ten teams have and make it close at the end. They dont hide from it.

Correct me if I'm wrong ...your point being there are plenty of cold weather teams in the top 25? So dont use that as an excuse? Correct? The counter point, using your mention of all of the cold weather teams that are in the top 25, is that we are indeed a top 25 school. Making any argument suggesting we are anything but an all-time top 25 football program pointless. Be happy, top 25 all time. Why are you or anyone for that matter sad about iowa football?

Be happy, top 25 all time. Why are you or anyone for that matter sad about iowa football?
Maybe because "all time" isn't that relevant today?

I mean, based on your list, Nebraska is absolutely correct in hiring / firing coaches who can't win the nc. #6 all time! Don't settle, Huskers!

Did you see 99td's list? (post 55, this thread) That's a more current, less flattering view of the Hawks.

By the way, your list was obviously made last year. After another non-top-25 finish, the Hawks might not be #25 any more.

If Iowa would have won the games they should have, about 1/yr, and taken advantage of opportunities 1/2 the time they were given the chance, then they’d be in Wisconsin’s cleats.

And nobody with a brain and without of KFhate hardon would be complaining about a boring offense - just like Wisconsin’s boring run-first offense.
And that in a nutshell is Iowa's program under KF. No need for a stable of 4 and 5 star studs who unlike Georgia we know are not coming to IC in the first place. Unless they happen to be a legacy in which case we stand a chance. Playing with the kids we can get now simply don't shit the bed against teams we should beat. That is not a lot to ask of a HC, or it shouldn't be.

I kinda look at it in reverse.

Iowa gets Melvin Gordon in 2010 instead of Wisky, and that probably changes history for the better. I even think of this year, J. Taylor rushes for 1977 yards. IIRC that is more than the combined totals of all of Iowa's running backs! AND HE'S A FRESHMAN!
Yeah. And Wisconsin's defense allowed Gordon and Taylor the time to grind out such successful seasons. Oh, and the OLines (and DLines) are better at Wisky. QBs about the same. WEs about the same. Wisky has a slightly better bunch of DBs although Wisky do like to hold (in which they're similar to Iowa's DB). Recruiting about the same. Coaching is different.

And that in a nutshell is Iowa's program under KF. No need for a stable of 4 and 5 star studs who unlike Georgia we know are not coming to IC in the first place. Unless they happen to be a legacy in which case we stand a chance. Playing with the kids we can get now simply don't shit the bed against teams we should beat. That is not a lot to ask of a HC, or it shouldn't be.
KF and his program DOES NOT ACOMMODATE high school athletes, let alone high-starred high school athletes, well. I know CJ wasn't a high-starred athlete out of high school but the last athlete I can remember KF accommodating is CJ. This is why KF goes for the lower-starred athletes. He can control those better. They don't mind if their 'athleticism is buried under a bushel'.

KF and his program DOES NOT ACOMMODATE high school athletes, let alone high-starred high school athletes, well. I know CJ wasn't a high-starred athlete out of high school but the last athlete I can remember KF accommodating is CJ. This is why KF goes for the lower-starred athletes. He can control those better. They don't mind if their 'athleticism is buried under a bushel'.
I'm sorry, but this is dumb. You might be a real peach of a guy but this statement is dumb. It might please a few people if we wasted our limited resources of coaches and time to chase fantasies of beating out Alabama, USC, Michigan, Ohio State, etc for 5 * athletes, but it is more efficient to find 3 and 4 * that we can get in the building. I'm sure we kick the tires on 4 and 5 * players enough to continue at times.

I'm sorry, but this is dumb. You might be a real peach of a guy but this statement is dumb. It might please a few people if we wasted our limited resources of coaches and time to chase fantasies of beating out Alabama, USC, Michigan, Ohio State, etc for 5 * athletes, but it is more efficient to find 3 and 4 * that we can get in the building. I'm sure we kick the tires on 4 and 5 * players enough to continue at times.

I have said it before but I think KF has a bad taste in his mouth from some high maintenance high star recruits back in 2005-6 to 2008 or so. KF wants good character as much as stars. I am not going to say if that is good or bad.

Maybe because "all time" isn't that relevant today?

I mean, based on your list, Nebraska is absolutely correct in hiring / firing coaches who can't win the nc. #6 all time! Don't settle, Huskers!

Did you see 99td's list? (post 55, this thread) That's a more current, less flattering view of the Hawks.

By the way, your list was obviously made last year. After another non-top-25 finish, the Hawks might not be #25 any more.

KF's 2001-2010 teams have been far better on avg than the 2011-2017 teams. Both time periods have one bad season but the earlier time period did not have as many losses to inferior teams as they took care of business. Not so much lately.

Iowa was legit top 20 team in the first time period and now more like #37 or so. This is not that important in the big scheme of things but it is what we talk about that is important here.

I should have replied directly to your post above when I did my post just a few later in the post list.

Iowa could have the athleticism of Michigan, right now. Michigan is a conservative team, by and large, with high-starred athletes. The differences being Michigan allows more players on offense and defense use their athleticism. I don't see why this is so hard to understand.

The fault with the lack of high-starred athletes for Iowa lies with KF's system. Some may say this is a good thing. I say this is the main reason Iowa is uncompetitive on the national stage.

My wife and I go to Georgia a couple times of year. If you drive through the country you will be left with an impression of a third world in places. Looking through Georgia's roster It's unbelievable at how many of those kids are Georgia kids. It must be a recruiting paradise!

So what are you saying? Georgia is poor? Georgia is black? Georgia is poor and black? Have you been to a third world nation? Georgia I am sure has to contend with FL, AL, SC (Clemson), TN and so on, much like IL has to contend with Iowa, ND, WI and so on.

Parts of Iowa really don't show very well either. Tried to get a tow truck late in the PM on a cold snowy day recently between CR and Ames and it was like dealing with our perceptions of say the Bayou of LA.

Latest posts