2nd year Georgia in championship game

Ok let’s start with the offense. I would recruit QB’s with speed and go with a spread offense with only one running back in the backfield. This spreads the defense out as they have to cover at least four receivers and possibly five if you throw to the running back. This would have done wonders for Wadley instead of trying to run threw a wall of defender. That would put an end to this seven or eight in the box. If they still want to have seven in the box then they are going to get burnt on some huge pass plays. An absolute change I would do right away is allow Stanley to call audibles to throw the ball. Heck our wide receivers might as well hold up a sign that says were running the ball as soon as Stanley starts to call audibles. It’s one of the most frustrating things I have seen any offense do when you ALWAYS run the ball on every audible. Has anyone ever heard of the element of surprise. Also do more misdirection plays to keep their defense off balance.

We all know the pass rush is lacking in the defensive schemes. We give their QBs way too much time. Yes we have seven guys back in pass coverage but any QB were their salt is going to find an open receiver when they have all day to pass. I would pull the safeties up and have more corner back blitz’s’ especially from the blind side let’s keep their QB worried about getting blindsided a few times. Combine that with rushing five linemen. Yes your pass coverage guys are going to have to be able to get up on the pass receivers more tightly and so they will need to be dang fast.

As far as coaching goes I would look at your most successful football programs and offer a job to one of their coordinators. It’s not likely to be someone from Maine College. Just look how much better Penn State has looked since they got rid of Kirks twin brother, Joe P. Ole Joe always had the better talent but his conservative play calling alway played right into KF’s hands. Again, KF plays better against running teams who don’t utilize the pass. That’s why Boston College was a perfect fit. Their QB was a below average passer and their running back was their key player. If their QB was just average the game would have been more of a challenge and maybe a loss.

So you want to go to a spread offense. Fair enough. Although it didn't seem to work out well for Illinois, or Nebraska, or Michigan. Time will tell if air-raid Scott Frost works out for Nebby.

I agree with some aspects of your offense. Made no sense running Wadley up the middle in a 2 TE set this year. Seemed like a waste of his talents.

PS - Scott Frost just got 7 years $35M from Nebraska. So if you want a coaching change and Ferentz's contract makes you puke, keep a bucket nearby.

Fry had Long, Vlasic, both Hartliebs were very good Qbs as was, Rodgers then Sherman was above average.

Your thinking by firing KF that any ole Joe Blow coach off the street would turn us into OSU and Bamas worst nightmare?
Not at all, and nothing I said even comes remotely close to implying this. Take it to extremes much?

You want to hire a new coach and if he's not having a 10 win season in 2 yrs fire him? If not a NC in 4 yrs fire him?
Again, way to go to extremes. I would be happy with something between that and what we currently do, though.

How many coaches and transferring of kids are you willing to go through before you realize that wouldn't work?
Nice optimism!

You would have probably fired KF prior to Iowas 3 yr run of finishing in top 10 based on what I feel your unrealistic expectations are.
Maybe. If so, then that 3 yr run would never have happened, so we wouldn't know what we missed. Right?

You've seen programs like Texas, Michigan, ND, Neb, all have significant drops right the last 10-20 years?

Yes I have. Are you saying they're down for good? You've seen the future?

So with the wrong coaching hire you don't think Iowa could have that or worse happen?
Sure. Or maybe better. We ain't getting any younger.

And lastly,
You do understand that all of those things your trying to correlate and turn into a comparison in regards to this doesn't work right?

They do work.
Thanks for playing.

I don't believe for a second you would be happy with somewhere between that and what we currently do. If that would make you happy, you would be settling in your own eyes.

Good summation of the facts.

Maybe Iowa will never be anything of relevance and be nothing more that an ISU type of spoiler (see Ohio State game). I wonder if people’s brains have been washed out by all the nitrates and other chemicals the farmers have put in the soil there?

Now we are accepting being beat out by Wisconsin each year. This is a school the Hayden Fry owned and beat 15 out of 17 years. This is ok?????

What are people saying or admitting here? That IOWA is a shit school in a shit location and should never expect more? I don’t buy that and never will.

Some one posted that those are blue blood schools. Oh really, Clemson and Auburn were middle of the road to lower bracket schools and they both have had national championships in recent years. Georgia is not a blue blood either.

Next year what’s the hope with an all new backfield and all new linebackers? This is a serious question that I would enjoy hearing comments on. I see an improving quarterback and possibly and improving offensive line. Our defense could be pretty good if the new linebackers step in and can handle it.
I did see some explosiveness in our backfield a few times from our younger running backs.

Having said that I do not see how this team next year will have the pieces to even finish in the top ten or beat out Wisconsin for the West division. So now we have to look two years down the road to when Stanley is a senior. Don’t any of you ever get tired of having to look down the road and hope for a pipe dream? Enlighten me here a little. What recruits or young players do we have coming in that could be huge impact players besides Espy on the defensive end? I am seriously looking for a ray of sunshine of hope that is realistic.
If you don't know that historically Clemson, Auburn and Georgia are blue bloods or steeped in national championship tradition or located in the south, I can't help you.

All you people saying - just deal with it, we're Iowa, we can't compete with the big boys, we're one hire away from being worse - I sure hope you're not coaches or business owners.

I assume you have the same 'excuse' code in those jobs as well, and I wonder what you tell a kid who is perhaps too short, not strong enough, not quick enough, etc. about reaching his/her performance goals?
"Listen young man, some kids are born with physical gifts, some aren't. I'd suggest you aim no higher than a few minutes of the bench. Maybe focus more on your academics".
That is correct. If you just keep trying jimmy youll still fail, but dang you'll be proud, or, you can do the best you can and make a good life with what you have.

20 years someone said but what is your point? I was talking about his perhaps charm and salesmanship as a recruiter to get top recruits. I would say Fry has some really good QBs and receivers, Danan Hughes and I cant think of his name but he played for 5 or more years with the saints. So Fry could get skilled players here, Harmon was a very good RB receiver at Buffalo.

And by year 6 or so he was a night game in bad weather loss at OSU from being undefeated and #1 going into bowl season. And his EDIT: 1991 team with Rodgers at Qb I believe was another mid season loss from having a chance to be in natty title consideration as they finished regular season 10-1. Fry almost did it here and came very close and he had a lot of jims and joes on his team plus great assistants and schemes.
Lol the guy who's name you can't remember HAD to be great lol come on! Lol OSU wasn't a night game in 1985 it ended in the dark on a rainy day. We also squeaked by Purdue, Michigan State, Michigan, got throttled by UCLA.....

Your argument is saying fry is almost as good as Ferentz FYI

So you want to go to a spread offense. Fair enough. Although it didn't seem to work out well for Illinois, or Nebraska, or Michigan. Time will tell if air-raid Scott Frost works out for Nebby.

I agree with some aspects of your offense. Made no sense running Wadley up the middle in a 2 TE set this year. Seemed like a waste of his talents.

PS - Scott Frost just got 7 years $35M from Nebraska. So if you want a coaching change and Ferentz's contract makes you puke, keep a bucket nearby.

It’s gotten out of control with these coaching salaries.

If you don't know that historically Clemson, Auburn and Georgia are blue bloods or steeped in national championship tradition or located in the south, I can't help you.

Really? Richt was there for 17 years and never got one. How far are you going back? How many does Clemson have in that same time period. Last year and how many after that? Auburn same story. What the hell are you talking about??? Good excuse for none for Kirk in 18 years. If they had the four team playoff fornlast 18 years I don’t believe he would have ever qualified, meaning he never finished ranked fourth or higher.

Last edited:
Really? Richt was there for 17 years and never got one. How far are you going back? How many does Clemson Clemson have in that same time period. Last year and what else? Auburn same story. What the hell are you talking about??? Good excuse for none for Kirk in 18 years. If they had had the four team playoff I don’t believe he would have ever qualified meaning he never finished ranked fourth.

He would have in 02.

Lol the guy who's name you can't remember HAD to be great lol come on! Lol OSU wasn't a night game in 1985 it ended in the dark on a rainy day. We also squeaked by Purdue, Michigan State, Michigan, got throttled by UCLA.....

Your argument is saying fry is almost as good as Ferentz FYI
Hey I old, cant remember everythin.

But someone posted it was Quinn Early, did you even ever see Early play or any of Fry's first 10-12 teams play?

Wait. You mean a team can do better with a new coach? You are wrong, sir,

Va Techs coach has averaged 10 wins in his 2 years since he replaced a "legend".

This cant happen. There is no way a team should replace their coach that averages 7.5 wins a season. We will turn into Minnesota

Really? Richt was there for 17 years and never got one. How far are you going back? How many does Clemson have in that same time period. Last year and how many after that? Auburn same story. What the hell are you talking about??? Good excuse for none for Kirk in 18 years. If they had the four team playoff fornlast 18 years I don’t believe he would have ever qualified, meaning he never finished ranked fourth or higher.
Associated Press list of top 25 programs
1 OHIO STATE (1,128 Points)
No.1 ranking:105
Championships:Five (last 2014)
Best full decade:1970s appeared in 92.57% of polls.
Worst full decade:1940s appeared in 55.68% of polls.
Poll point:There have only been three seasons during the 80-year history of the AP poll in which the Buckeyes were not ranked at least once, the fewest poll-less seasons of any program.
2 OKLAHOMA (1,070 Points)
No.1 ranking:100 1/2
Championships:Seven (last 2000)
Best full decade:1950s appeared in 94.83% of polls.
Worst full decade:1960s appeared in 28.57% of polls.
Poll point:Oklahoma has been top-five in percentage of poll appearances in five decades (1950s, '70s, '80s, 2000, '10), most of any program.
3 NOTRE DAME (1,045
No.1 ranking:98
Championships:Eight (last 1988)
Best full decade:1940s appeared in 96.59% of polls.
Worst full decade:2000s appeared in 45.18% of polls.
Poll point:Notre Dame was ranked at least once every season from the first poll in 1936 through 1961.
4 ALABAMA (1039 Points)
No.1 ranking:74
Championships:10 (last 2015)
Best full decade:1970s appeared in 91.22% of polls.
Worst full decade:1950s appeared in 18.97% of polls.
Poll point:From Nov. 3, 1980-Oct. 26, 2008, Alabama was only ranked No. 1 once _ the final poll of the 1992 season. The Tide has been top-ranked 43 times since under coach Nick Saban.
5 SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA (980 Points)
No.1 ranking:90 1/2
Championships:Five (last 2004)
Best full decade:1970s appeared in 89.86% of polls.
Worst full decade:1940s appeared in 47.43% of polls.
Poll point:The Trojans were top-ranked 42 times from Dec. 7, 2003-Sept. 21, 2008 under coach Pete Carroll.
6 NEBRASKA (913 Points)
No.1 ranking:72
Championships:Four (last 1995)
Best full decade:1990s appeared in 100% of polls.
Worst full decade:1950s appeared in 5.17% of polls.
Poll point:Mostly under coach Tom Osborne, the Cornhuskers were unranked in only three polls combined during the 1970s, '80s and '90s _ appearing in 99.35 percent over three decades.
7 MICHIGAN (910 Points)
No.1 ranking:34
Championships:Two (last 1997)
Best full decade:1970s appeared in 100% of polls.
Worst full decade:1960s appeared in 26.98% of polls.
Poll point:The Wolverines were first team to appear in every poll over the course of a full decade, when they did it in the 1970s under coach Bo Schembechler.
8 TEXAS
No.1 ranking:44 1/2
Championships:Three (last 2005)
Best full decade:2000s appeared in 99.40% of polls.
Worst full decade:1990s appeared in 47.34% of polls.
Poll point:The Longhorns have not had a top-10 rankings since Sept. 19, 2010, the program's longest such streak since Nov. 26, 1984-Nov. 4, 1990.
9 FLORIDA STATE (730 Points)
No.1 ranking:72
Championships:Three (last 2013)
Best full decade:1990s appeared in 100% of polls.
Worst full decade:1950s no poll appearances.(Florida State started football program in 1947).
Poll point:From Nov. 11, 1990-Sept. 9, 2001, the Seminoles were never ranked lower than 11th under coach Bobby Bowden.
10 FLORIDA (689 Points)
No.1 ranking:41
Championships:Three (last 2008)
Best full decade:1990s appeared in 98.82% of polls.
Worst full decade:1940s no poll appearances.
Poll point:The Gators had no top-three appearances before Nov. 26, 1984 and then 95 top-three appearances after.
11 LSU (668 Points)
No.1 ranking:30
Championships:Two (last 2007)
Best full decade:2000s appeared in 82.53% of polls.
Worst full decade:1950s appeared in 25.86% of polls.
Poll point:After being unranked for most of the 1950s, the Tigers held the No. 1 ranking 14 times in 1958 and '59 _ then went 48 years before being ranked No. 1 again (2007).
12 PENN STATE (655
No.1 ranking:19
Championships:Two (last 1986)
Best full decade:1990s appeared in 95.27% of polls.
Worst full decade:1950s appeared in 20.69% of polls.
Poll point:The Nittany Lions have not been ranked at any point during the last four seasons (2011-15). Since making their poll debut in 1940, Penn State had never gone more than three seasons without being ranked at least once.
13 MIAMI (649
No.1 ranking:67
Championships:Five (last 2001)
Best full decade:1990s appeared in 81.66% of polls.
Worst full decade:1940s no poll appearances. (First poll appearance was 1950)
Poll point:The Hurricanes made 367 of their poll appearances (80.13 percent) between Sept. 29, 1980-Jan. 4, 2006.
14 TENNESSEE (635 Points)
No.1 ranking:18
Championships:Two (last 1998)
Best full decade:1990s appeared in 93.49% of polls.
Worst full decade:1980s appeared in 29.19% of polls.
Poll point:From 1936-59, no Southeastern Conference team had more poll appearances (134) than the Volunteers.
15 AUBURN (580 Points)
No.1 ranking:Nine
Championships:Two (last 2010)
Best full decade:1980s appeared in 75.78% of polls.
Worst full decade:1940s appeared in 2.27% of polls.
Poll point:The Deep South's oldest rivals, Auburn and Georgia enter 2016 with the same amount of poll appearances. The overall record in 119 games between the two teams is Georgia 56, Auburn 55 and eight ties.
16 GEORGIA (577 Points)
No.1 ranking:15
Championships:One (1980)
Best full decade:2000s appeared in 85.54% of polls.
Worst full decade:1950s appeared in 11.21% of polls.
Poll point:Since 1975, the Bulldogs have had only two seasons (1990 and '96) during which they have not been ranked for at least one week.
17 UCLA (536 Points)
No.1 ranking:7
Championships:None
Best full decade:1980s appeared in 72.67% of polls.
Worst full decade:1940s appeared in 29.55% of polls.
Poll point:Highest ranked team to never win a championship.
18 TEXAS A&M (489 Points)
No.1 ranking:6 1/2
Championships:One (1939)
Best full decade:1990s appeared in 83.43% of polls.
Worst full decade:1960s appeared in 2.38% of polls.
Poll point:The Aggies were last No. 1 in Nov. 11, 1957, and have not been No. 2 since Dec. 1, 1975.
19 MICHIGAN STATE (448 Points)
No.1 ranking:29
Championships:One (1952)
Best full decade:1960s appeared in 74.14% of polls.
Worst full decade:1980s appeared in 16.15% of polls.
Poll point:Has the most No. 1 rankings for a program not ranked No. 1 since the 1960s.
20 WASHINGTON (446 Points)
No.1 ranking:14 1/2
Best full decade:1990s appeared in 75.74% of polls.
Worst full decade:1960s appeared in 16.67% of polls.
Poll point:Eleven times in the last 12 seasons, the Huskies have had either one or no poll appearances.
21 CLEMSON (439 Points)
No.1 ranking:Seven
Championships:One (1981)
Best full decade:1980s appeared in 58.39% of polls.
Worst full decade:1960s appeared in 3.97% of polls.
Poll point:Before the Tigers national championship season in 1981, their best ranking was No. 5 on Sept. 21, 1959.
22 ARKANSAS (418 Points)
No.1 ranking:One
Best full decade:1970s appeared in 66.22% of polls.
Worst full decade:1940s appeared in 7.95% of polls.
Poll point:The Razorbacks have 30 top-three appearances, but only one (Nov. 20, 2011) since 1978.
23 PITTSBURGH (358 Points)
No.1 ranking:21
Championships:Two (last 1976)
Best full decade:1980s appeared in 50.93% of polls.
Worst full decade:1940s appeared in 3.41% of polls.
Poll point:The Panthers have not had a top-five appearance during the regular season since Dec. 6, 1982.
24 WISCONSIN (351
No.1 ranking:One
Best full decade:1950s appeared in 63.69% of polls.
Worst full decade:1980s appeared in 1.86% of polls.
Poll point:During a 29-year span from 1964-92, the Badgers had just 10 poll appearances. Since '92, Wisconsin has made 215 poll appearances.
25 IOWA (334 Points)

IowaHawkeyes.png

Total appearances:307, 27.83% of all polls
First appearance:1939
No.1 ranking:7
Best full decade:1980s appeared in 46.58% of polls.
Worst full decade:1970s no poll appearances.
Poll point:The Hawkeyes worst decade ('70s) was followed by their best after Hayden Fry took over as coach in 1979.

15, 16, 21.......and, if you were to poll random football fan how many have the Hawks at 25. Feel blessed at what we have had. Look at the rest of the list.

Wait. You mean a team can do better with a new coach? You are wrong, sir,

Va Techs coach has averaged 10 wins in his 2 years since he replaced a "legend".

This cant happen. There is no way a team should replace their coach that averages 7.5 wins a season. We will turn into Minnesota
You have a point....name the coaches interested in Iowa who are better than Ferentz, who would up and move here.

So, in summary....
1) things could be better
2) Iowa, at times, should be better
3) it could get worse
4) we could/should recruit better
5) change could improve things
6) but it might not
7) KF is still the head coach
8) And will be for 3-5 more years
9) everyone would like more wins

Go Hawks.

I don't believe for a second you would be happy with somewhere between that and what we currently do. If that would make you happy, you would be settling in your own eyes.

You really don't think I'd be happy with 10 wins in 3 years, and a NC in 5?!?!?!?!
Jesus, who wouldn't?

Latest posts