2nd year Georgia in championship game

So your saying Iowa can NEVER be great? That it would take a freak of nature for that to happen? If this is true then why has Wisconsin been out performing us? We can’t we even beat out those cheese turds?
It's not about NEVER being great. What your insinuating is ALWAYS being great. Big difference. Sure Iowa can have great seasons. But if your going to EXPECT it to happen 5-10 yrs in a row your just unrealistic.

Dude wake up. "May or may not be true" How much you want to give me as far as losing a bet on it? There's no chance Iowa could bring in half that kind of talent. It's just not possible. How many 5 star QBs has Iowa ever brought in period? GA does it year after year. It's not just the one year class. It's the year after year accumulation of talent. Iowa has and can sneak in and get a top 10-15 class here and there. But the difference between a top 5 class and top 20 is a pretty wide gap a lot of times and Iowa can't seem to crap the top 25 3 yrs in a row which GA rarely dips out of the top 15 I would bet. All they have to do is say yes to the kids that already want to go there and stay close to home. It's not nearly as easy for Iowa to compete as you think it is

I never said it would be easy or even possible but right now it is impossible where we stand now. Just go back and read your own words. Your happy with that and wouldn’t like to at least try? The offense is just about as bland and boring as it possibly could be. Has been for at least four years. I was hopeful when Brian came in but it’s apparent that he is doing what daddy wants.

I never said it would be easy or even possible but right now it is impossible where we stand now. Just go back and read your own words. Your happy with that and wouldn’t like to at least try? The offense is just about as bland and boring as it possibly could be. Has been for at least four years. I was hopeful when Brian came in but it’s apparent that he is doing what daddy wants.
You can't say it's impossible when just 2 yrs ago Iowa went 12-1. BF has coached one season with a first year starter at QB. Hardly a large enough sample size to just throw him under the bus. We gave GD a heck of a lot more leeway than that. Your confusing not making drastic changes to not trying. I don't think that's the same at all.

I should add I dont think the so called pro-style offense is bad to use over all but most teams spread the field more than we do and more build in some pistol and zone read than we do. I would really like to see them take a chance and have Stanley/qb run a little more out of a zone read just to give another option on second and short and third and short.

We need more wrinkles and scheming to get receivers open and move the chains.

We do not wrinkle, and we do not scheme.

Last I checked Georgia is not in the Western division. Good thing because we are having trouble beating out the juggernaut Wisconsin team. Hayden would have lit up the Western division now that Nebraska is down. When he was coaching Nebraska was a perennial top ten team and was routing teams 53-6. Tom Osborn is no longer the coach there and they haven’t amounted to much since he retired. So what this tells us is that it is not so much about location as it about who the coach is. They have TRIED to bring in new coaches but none of them have worked out.

Sure we could turn out to be even worse than what we are now. That’s very possible as that’s where we were under Commings (do you even know who he was?) However the BTN has contributed more to leveling the field than anything else by giving sixty million dollars to each school. This gives money to the less prominent schools that never had the budget to build competitive facilities like Minnesota is now doing. In the past that would have been an impossibility for Minnesota. It should give their recruiting quit a boost.

Back to Georgia and recruiting. Yes there are thousands of kids to choose from but they can only recruit about twenty-five a year. Why aren’t we down there getting more recruits? Georgia Tech is in the same state so why aren’t they picking up their program as well. It’s the coach that makes the difference. Meyers could go down and make Georgia Tech a power house, or Minnesota, or Indiana, or Iowa. It was Tom Osborn that made Nebraska what is was.

I would feel a lot better if Iowa could just get its offense into the top thirty in the NCAA. The results wouldn be incredible as our defense seems competitive with the other schools in our conference. The damn offense has been killing us.

You can't say it's impossible when just 2 yrs ago Iowa went 12-1. BF has coached one season with a first year starter at QB. Hardly a large enough sample size to just throw him under the bus. We gave GD a heck of a lot more leeway than that. Your confusing not making drastic changes to not trying. I don't think that's the same at all.

I would be fine with some drastic changes but this is Kirk we are talking about here.

How many 4 and 5 star guys are on Central Florida?
And don't give me this "it's Florida" crap, they're still 2 and 3 star kids.
If you don't think there are any 3 star FL kids would love to play in Iowa City, then I can't help you.

How many 4 and 5 star guys are on Central Florida?
And don't give me this "it's Florida" crap, they're still 2 and 3 star kids.
If you don't think there are any 3 star FL kids would love to play in Iowa City, then I can't help you.
There are. But to assume all of those same kids would RATHER play in Iowa City then stay home is a stretch too. Especially if they can play good football right where they are and not come up to the frozen tundra.

Over the prior 4 classes, Georgia brought in 46 4-stars and 8 5-stars, including 2 5-star QBs. So far for this upcoming class alone they have 6 5-stars and 13 4-stars. No coach would ever be able to bring in that much talent to Iowa.
You mean KF would never be able to bring that much talent to Iowa.

KF recruiting excuse number 2: High-star, high school athletes don't mean anything. The lower-starred athletes thrive at Iowa and the higher-starred ones do not.

Last edited:
I've gotta say BigD, people who think like you do at your age is pretty rare. You post like someone in their 20s. Most people by think with more logic and less emotion by the time they're your age. That's truly not a put down, it's just an observation.

Why do so many people think it's so easy to be better than Wisconsin when they are close to a top 10 program over the last 10 years or so?

Their 17 year coach Mark Richt couldn’t get them their so they let him go. I followed Richt with interest since he took over a Georgia program that had dropped off. He and Kirk were hired about the same time and like Kirk within a couple of years he had the Georgia program back being a contender for an SEC title. The knock on him by Georgia fans was that he had trouble winning the big game. Yet his win loss record was more impressive than Kirk’s.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/mark-richt-1.html

A more successful coach for 17 years was let go because he couldn’t get them to the Championship game. The goal for most true blue blood players and fans is to play for a National title. They gave Richt 17 years to try to do it. Eventually it became evident that he just didn’t have it in him to get them there. He had a clean program and let players go when they committed serious violations of team rules or broke the laws of the land. That is something else that Mark and Kirk had in common.

Yet the fans were wanting more and they decided to take a chance and let Richt go. Now just two years later they are playing for a national title. Something they would not have experienced if they didn’t have the courage to hire a new coach. Ironically they just played and beat a first year coach at Oklahoma. In just two years one coach was able to do what Kirk couldn’t do in eighteen years. Also in two years another coach was able to do in one year what Kirk never achieved and that was to play in the BCS bowl championship series. It’s extremely unlikely that Kirk will ever recruit and coach at a high enough level to ever play in the four game playoffs. Apparently the powers that be and the fan base have decided that they would concede and give up on wanting more. This is either out of fear of failure, fear of change or the spirit of indifference neither of which is in the spirit of true competition. The old saying really is true “No guts no glory”.

Alabama was down for decades as was USC, but the right hire changed everything for both schools. Notre Dame, Michigan, and Nebraska have gone though numerous coaches in pursuit of excellence, but at least they are trying. Iowa has chose not to try. In Kirk we will rust.

Georgia is in the bad side of the SEC. They also got incredibly lucky to miss Bama. Their schedule was dog crap. Sure, they beat Notre Dame. Ooooohhhh. And they beat Oklahoma, who freaking lost to Iowa State. Georgia likely would have been 9-3 or maybe 10-2 with luck if they had to play Iowa's schedule. This season wasn't some coaching miracle by Kirby, it was that Richt put together a solid team and Richt got a really good QB. This is basically akin to Iowa firing Ferentz and then claiming it was the right thing when we have a good record the next year because our crossover games are Indiana, Rutgers and Maryland and we catch a year where our tough division games are all at home.

There are plenty of 4 star talent kids disguised as 2 and 3 stars in Florida that would be willing to come to Iowa if we could somehow find the time to find them, properly scout them, and recruit them hard enough. Coaches just don't have that kind of time. It would take a hell of a lot better coach than the one Georgia has to pull that off. If we found one that could, he would just go to Georgia so he doesn't have to work so hard for even more success.

Oh yeah. One coaching hire and we're Alabama.

You're drunk. Log off for the night.

Kinda like one coaching hire and we're Nebraska or even Illannoy or Iowa State. (Yet, that gets serious play 'round here, from the top, down.)

There are plenty of 4 star talent kids disguised as 2 and 3 stars in Florida that would be willing to come to Iowa if we could somehow find the time to find them, properly scout them, and recruit them hard enough
. Coaches just don't have that kind of time.

It would take a hell of a lot better coach than the one Georgia has to pull that off. If we found one that could, he would just go to Georgia so he doesn't have to work so hard for even more success.

That is why they have recruiting services as long as you use a reputable one. The Iowa football program has more than enough money to try to find kids from the south who practice football year around in junior high and high school, kids who are very good but not getting a lot of offers from blue bloods, kids who might have an academic bent that fits with a degree at Iowa.

Barry Alvarez said it best in an interview on BTN in November. When asked about how he was able to build Wisconsin into a great program from being nothing, he said that he started by determining what kind of player he could recruit to Wisconsin, then developed schemes and identity around those players.

This is who Iowa is... a top 25 program that plays tough, physical football.

I'm more than content with what Iowa is with Ferentz. Sure, I'd like some offensive changes (less zone run scheme), but there is a lot to be happy about. I think the future is bright as well. Going to be a fun couple of years.

Its hard for me to agree that Iowa is a top 25 program when they've finished in the top 25 once in the last 8 years. Its also hard for me to agree that Iowa is a physical program when I see schools like NDSU, Minnesota, and Purdue push them around. I think Iowa wants to be physical and thinks they're physical but just because you think you are doesn't make it true.

I've gotta say BigD, people who think like you do at your age is pretty rare. You post like someone in their 20s. Most people by think with more logic and less emotion by the time they're your age. That's truly not a put down, it's just an observation.

OK you two, knock it off ya big babies.
giphy.gif

Latest posts