2nd year Georgia in championship game

Barry Alvarez said it best in an interview on BTN in November. When asked about how he was able to build Wisconsin into a great program from being nothing, he said that he started by determining what kind of player he could recruit to Wisconsin, then developed schemes and identity around those players.

This is who Iowa is... a top 25 program that plays tough, physical football.

I'm more than content with what Iowa is with Ferentz. Sure, I'd like some offensive changes (less zone run scheme), but there is a lot to be happy about. I think the future is bright as well. Going to be a fun couple of years.

How is Iowa a top 25 program?

What is your idea of fun?
giphy.gif

I never said it would be easy or even possible but right now it is impossible where we stand now. Just go back and read your own words. Your happy with that and wouldn’t like to at least try? The offense is just about as bland and boring as it possibly could be. Has been for at least four years. I was hopeful when Brian came in but it’s apparent that he is doing what daddy wants.

How about instead of all this doom and gloom, bitch, bitch, bitch...you actually propose some of your own solutions so we can laugh, pick them apart and destroy them all?

What coach would you replace Ferentz with right now? What contract would you offer this new coach that would entice him to come to Iowa over wherever he is right now? Where would this new coach pull all these 5-star recruits out of? What states would you focus your recruiting? How would you out-recruit the schools that exist in those recruiting hotbeds?

Please enlighten us. I need a good laugh.

Georgia consistently finishes Top 10 Nationally in Recruiting. If Iowa recruited like Georgia I would expect more..

Dude wake up. "May or may not be true" How much you want to give me as far as losing a bet on it? There's no chance Iowa could bring in half that kind of talent. It's just not possible. How many 5 star QBs has Iowa ever brought in period? GA does it year after year. It's not just the one year class. It's the year after year accumulation of talent. Iowa has and can sneak in and get a top 10-15 class here and there. But the difference between a top 5 class and top 20 is a pretty wide gap a lot of times and Iowa can't seem to crap the top 25 3 yrs in a row which GA rarely dips out of the top 15 I would bet. All they have to do is say yes to the kids that already want to go there and stay close to home. It's not nearly as easy for Iowa to compete as you think it is

Georgia rarely dips out of the To 10..

Their 17 year coach Mark Richt couldn’t get them their so they let him go. I followed Richt with interest since he took over a Georgia program that had dropped off. He and Kirk were hired about the same time and like Kirk within a couple of years he had the Georgia program back being a contender for an SEC title. The knock on him by Georgia fans was that he had trouble winning the big game. Yet his win loss record was more impressive than Kirk’s.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/mark-richt-1.html

A more successful coach for 17 years was let go because he couldn’t get them to the Championship game. The goal for most true blue blood players and fans is to play for a National title. They gave Richt 17 years to try to do it. Eventually it became evident that he just didn’t have it in him to get them there. He had a clean program and let players go when they committed serious violations of team rules or broke the laws of the land. That is something else that Mark and Kirk had in common.

Yet the fans were wanting more and they decided to take a chance and let Richt go. Now just two years later they are playing for a national title. Something they would not have experienced if they didn’t have the courage to hire a new coach. Ironically they just played and beat a first year coach at Oklahoma. In just two years one coach was able to do what Kirk couldn’t do in eighteen years. Also in two years another coach was able to do in one year what Kirk never achieved and that was to play in the BCS bowl championship series. It’s extremely unlikely that Kirk will ever recruit and coach at a high enough level to ever play in the four game playoffs. Apparently the powers that be and the fan base have decided that they would concede and give up on wanting more. This is either out of fear of failure, fear of change or the spirit of indifference neither of which is in the spirit of true competition. The old saying really is true “No guts no glory”.

Alabama was down for decades as was USC, but the right hire changed everything for both schools. Notre Dame, Michigan, and Nebraska have gone though numerous coaches in pursuit of excellence, but at least they are trying. Iowa has chose not to try. In Kirk we will rust.

Oh my god, you are comparing Iowa to Georgia? It isn't even close. They have 5 star guys as backups and almost 3 deep. Get real. Would love to see Mark Richt's record at Iowa or any other coach you think would save the program that doesn't need saving.

Georgia is in the bad side of the SEC. They also got incredibly lucky to miss Bama. Their schedule was dog crap. Sure, they beat Notre Dame. Ooooohhhh. And they beat Oklahoma, who freaking lost to Iowa State. Georgia likely would have been 9-3 or maybe 10-2 with luck if they had to play Iowa's schedule. This season wasn't some coaching miracle by Kirby, it was that Richt put together a solid team and Richt got a really good QB. This is basically akin to Iowa firing Ferentz and then claiming it was the right thing when we have a good record the next year because our crossover games are Indiana, Rutgers and Maryland and we catch a year where our tough division games are all at home.

Oh you mean like in 2015. (See highlighted above)

How about instead of all this doom and gloom, bitch, bitch, bitch...you actually propose some of your own solutions so we can laugh, pick them apart and destroy them all?

What coach would you replace Ferentz with right now? What contract would you offer this new coach that would entice him to come to Iowa over wherever he is right now? Where would this new coach pull all these 5-star recruits out of? What states would you focus your recruiting? How would you out-recruit the schools that exist in those recruiting hotbeds?

If you pay one million dollars a year like our AD gets I will have no problem finding one.

Oh my god, you are comparing Iowa to Georgia? It isn't even close. They have 5 star guys as backups and almost 3 deep. Get real. Would love to see Mark Richt's record at Iowa or any other coach you think would save the program that doesn't need saving.

Nice how you guys don’t want to talk about how well Wisconsin has been doing. Must be all those five star recruits they are beating us out of and why isn’t Georgia Tech getting all of these four and five star recruits that are every where in Georgia?

Maybe Barta needs to get off his dead ass and allow more money to hire recruits to recruit talent rich states like Georgia??? Nothing is stopping IOWA from doing this except laziness and complacency.

Bingo...
We are one bad coaching hire away from being Illinois or worse. The Michigans of the world can pick themselves back up faster but even they and Nebraska aren't immune to it. Look at how they chased their tails for quite awhile. Nebraska isn't back yet by any means they just think they will be. Let's not have short/selective memories and think we can be any different. If anything we can be worse off.

If you pay one million dollars a year like our AD gets I will have no problem finding one.

Ok...so instead you're just going to complain instead of offering solutions that can be easily picked apart? Good to know.

Good summation of the facts.

Maybe Iowa will never be anything of relevance and be nothing more that an ISU type of spoiler (see Ohio State game). I wonder if people’s brains have been washed out by all the nitrates and other chemicals the farmers have put in the soil there?

Now we are accepting being beat out by Wisconsin each year. This is a school the Hayden Fry owned and beat 15 out of 17 years. This is ok?????

What are people saying or admitting here? That IOWA is a shit school in a shit location and should never expect more? I don’t buy that and never will.

Some one posted that those are blue blood schools. Oh really, Clemson and Auburn were middle of the road to lower bracket schools and they both have had national championships in recent years. Georgia is not a blue blood either.

Next year what’s the hope with an all new backfield and all new linebackers? This is a serious question that I would enjoy hearing comments on. I see an improving quarterback and possibly and improving offensive line. Our defense could be pretty good if the new linebackers step in and can handle it.
I did see some explosiveness in our backfield a few times from our younger running backs.

Having said that I do not see how this team next year will have the pieces to even finish in the top ten or beat out Wisconsin for the West division. So now we have to look two years down the road to when Stanley is a senior. Don’t any of you ever get tired of having to look down the road and hope for a pipe dream? Enlighten me here a little. What recruits or young players do we have coming in that could be huge impact players besides Espy on the defensive end? I am seriously looking for a ray of sunshine of hope that is realistic.

I like this post.

The "next year" mantra has lost all meaning. Every year is a rebuilding year.
If Dan Gables was AD with Stoops as HC we wouldn't be told that Iowa is a program that can't replace talent and needs a soft schedule to achieve.
My signature says it all.

How is Iowa a top 25 program?

What is your idea of fun?

2010-2016 cumulative AP rankings (FYI--"last year" means the 2010-2015 rankings):

Rank Team Points Last Year
1 Alabama 156 1
2 Ohio State 125 3
3 Oregon 117 2
4 Stanford 112 4
5 Florida State 104 6
6 Oklahoma 103 7
7 Clemson 99 10
8 Michigan State 90 5
9 LSU 89 9
10 TCU 78 8
11 Wisconsin 74 13
12 Oklahoma State 66 16
13 South Carolina 61 11
14 Baylor 58 12
15 USC 56 T23
16 Auburn 55 T14
17 Boise State 53 T14
18 Michigan 46 25
19 Georgia 45 17
20 Notre Dame 43 18
21 Mississippi State 42 19
22 Missouri 41 20
23 Texas A&M 36 21
24 Arkansas 35 22
25 Kansas State 33 T23
26 Louisville 31 T26
27 Florida 30 T31
T28 Houston 26 T26
T28 UCLA 26 T26
T30 Virginia Tech 25 T34
31 Washington 23 T57
32 UCF 21 29
T33 Arizona State 19 30
T33 Penn State 19 NR
T33 West Virginia 19 T40
36 Georgia Tech 18 T31
T37 Iowa 17 33
T37 Utah 17 36

2010-2016 cumulative AP rankings (FYI--"last year" means the 2010-2015 rankings):

Rank Team Points Last Year
1 Alabama 156 1
2 Ohio State 125 3
3 Oregon 117 2
4 Stanford 112 4
5 Florida State 104 6
6 Oklahoma 103 7
7 Clemson 99 10
8 Michigan State 90 5
9 LSU 89 9
10 TCU 78 8
11 Wisconsin 74 13
12 Oklahoma State 66 16
13 South Carolina 61 11
14 Baylor 58 12
15 USC 56 T23
16 Auburn 55 T14
17 Boise State 53 T14
18 Michigan 46 25
19 Georgia 45 17
20 Notre Dame 43 18
21 Mississippi State 42 19
22 Missouri 41 20
23 Texas A&M 36 21
24 Arkansas 35 22
25 Kansas State 33 T23
26 Louisville 31 T26
27 Florida 30 T31
T28 Houston 26 T26
T28 UCLA 26 T26
T30 Virginia Tech 25 T34
31 Washington 23 T57
32 UCF 21 29
T33 Arizona State 19 30
T33 Penn State 19 NR
T33 West Virginia 19 T40
36 Georgia Tech 18 T31
T37 Iowa 17 33
T37 Utah 17 36

There are 64 P5 teams. Of the top 38 teams, 35 are P5 in this ranking.

Iowa therefore is tied for 34th among 64 teams. That means that 31 are below Iowa. That means that Iowa is a below average P5 team. 3 non P5 teams have surpassed Iowa. This includes a stellar 10th finish in 2015.

A large segment of the Iowa fan base is afraid of Iowa losing their status. We see ourselves wanting to be Wisky (11th) and as good as MSU (9th).

“I understand the frustration of the fans; that’s why we’re fans,” Pinney added. “But I prefer the clean program, the kids that graduate. Believe me, I’d love to be national champs every year. But it is Iowa, and there’s some reality with that.”

https://www.landof10.com/pwa/iowa/iowa/article/iowa-coach-kirk-ferentz-polarizing-among-fans

The quote above is from the article.
So if you want better it means you want a national title every year? If you win a national title it means you don't run a clean program and don't graduate players?

The difference between a handsome, charming guy with an ugly wife and an ugly guy with a hot wife, is that one of them settled and one of them didn't.

There are. But to assume all of those same kids would RATHER play in Iowa City then stay home is a stretch too. Especially if they can play good football right where they are and not come up to the frozen tundra.

Oh, we don't need "all of those same kids" to choose Iowa.
Just some. And there'd be plenty.

Iowa therefore is tied for 34th among 64 teams. That means that 31 are below Iowa. That means that Iowa is a below average P5 team. 3 non P5 teams have surpassed Iowa. This includes a stellar 10th finish in 2015.

A large segment of the Iowa fan base is afraid of Iowa losing their status. We see ourselves wanting to be Wisky (11th) and as good as MSU (9th).

But 12-0!
Stability!
Good man!
The Wave!
Turn boys into MEN!

Its easy to look at Wisconsin and think "why not us". I'm in that boat as well. I think there are a lot of "fringe" factors working against Iowa when compared to Wisconsin, but nothing that's impossible to overcome.

Latest posts