2019 Tyreke Locure

I suspect people take as "attitude" stuff like tipping the ball in then grabbing the ball and sticking it in your opponent's chest. My response is, block him out next time so he doesn't do that to you.

I suspect people take as "attitude" stuff like tipping the ball in then grabbing the ball and sticking it in your opponent's chest. My response is, block him out next time so he doesn't do that to you.
He did it gently. I think he was just handing the ball to him. :D

That attitude concerns have nothing to do with on court behavior. Marble once kicked a basketball to the roof of the gym and broke a light during a high school game.

I don't know anything about the concerns other than character has been called into question. I don't even really know what exactly that means.

They would only be on a team with Bohannon for one year. I'm not following what you mean. Bohannon and Carton's games are completely different.
What I mean is both jBo and Carton are, IMO, SG and not PG...as was R.D. Marble not a PG...as was Paige, the Iowa high school player, who played college for the Tar Heels not a PG. King James is not a PG.

Your best shooter and scorer may be your PG but your best creator and disher certainly is. BTW, have you seen any success from either jBo or R.D. Marble in creating their own shots or creating other shot opportunities with the shot clock or game clock winding down? Is that a flawed part of Fran's game? That the responsibility of making the final, winning points is entrusted to a player who can neither create their own shot nor create someone else's shot in the short time allotted? And doesn't the other team already know what's coming in those situations?

Last edited:
What I mean is both jBo and Carton are, IMO, SG and not PG...as was R.D. Marble not a PG...as was Paige, the Iowa high school player, who played college for the Tar Heels not a PG. King James is not a PG.

Your best shooter and scorer may be your PG but your best creator and disher certainly is. BTW, have you seen any success from either jBo or R.D. Marble in creating their own shots or creating other shot opportunities with the shot clock or game clock winding down? Is that a flawed part of Fran's game? That the responsibility of making the final, winning points is entrusted to a player who can neither create their own shot nor create someone else's shot in the short time allotted? And doesn't the other team already know what's coming in those situations?

It sounds like your main qualification for being a true point guard is you have to suck at scoring.

Uh, RDM could most certainly create his own shot. That’s how he scored most of his 4th all time points. He certainly didn’t do it shooting low 30s from 3. If he’d have had the shooters Iowa has had the last few years on his team that spread the floor a little, he’d have had more lanes. What he lacked was finishing in the clutch both from short range (missed 5 foot shot vs MSU) and from the line (countless examples).

Regardless, this thread is about Locure who is decidedly not RDM. Iowa should offer both he and Catron and take both should they be fortunate enough to be able. I am astonished they have not.

ummmm....5 of Fran's first 6 seasons were with Cartwright and Gesell as pg's (along with RDM and Sapp). Cartwright was an emergency recruit because there wasn't a pg on the team when Fran go here. Let that sink in for a sec to give you an idea of just how far Iowa basketball had fallen. Cully Payne, who flopped at DePaul transferred out before Fran's first jump ball at Iowa.

Fran would have been lynched if he had not landed Gesell. But he did and MG was our pg (for the most part) through the 2015-16 season. Leading up to the 2014 season, Fran missed on landing Tyler Ulis, who went to UK. Prior to last season, Fran walked away from Moore (can't remember his first name), but landed JBo instead.

Now, Fran hasn't "mis-evaluated" any of those guys, with the exception of, perhaps, JBo. But keep in mind, JBo was a fall back pg because of how the whole Moore thing went down late in recruiting. But, JBo is an excellent shooter and a decent pg, but he is playing out of position.

So, I would argue that Fran has not mis-evaluated any pg that he's signed. He's not signed a couple of his top choices, but that is an altogether different argument.
I should've separated my thoughts better. He hasn't missed on eval every PG he's missed recruiting almost every PG. Sorry for the confusion

I should've separated my thoughts better. He hasn't missed on eval every PG he's missed recruiting almost every PG. Sorry for the confusion

I would agree he missed on Ulis, but I believe he walked away from Moore. Now, if memory serves me, his backup plan to missing on Ulis was the transfer kid that left before that B1G season even started. So, that strategy was a miss all around. But he landed Gesell and Sapp and Dickerson. Walking away from Moore left JBo as backup.

You're gonna want to watch these highlights!! Especially about a minute into the clip.

Note: #1 is a freshman pg. North will be in good hands when Locure graduates.

http://www.hudl.com/v/298jmM

You are winning me over. I particularly liked the Eurostep on an early transition highlight, as well as the vision displayed on those passes.

Perhaps Coach McCafferey should just shift all of his focus to Locure. Could Wieskamp and Carton even play together at this point after the depantsing that went down on Friday?

You are winning me over. I particularly liked the Eurostep on an early transition highlight, as well as the vision displayed on those passes.

Perhaps Coach McCafferey should just shift all of his focus to Locure. Could Wieskamp and Carton even play together at this point after the depantsing that went down on Friday?
I have a suspicion that Carton has zero intention on playing for Iowa (just a suspicion). I'm also pretty sure that if Locure gets an offer from a Kentucky/ UNC/ Duke type, there's now way in hell he goes to Iowa.

I have a suspicion that Carton has zero intention on playing for Iowa (just a suspicion). I'm also pretty sure that if Locure gets an offer from a Kentucky/ UNC/ Duke type, there's now way in hell he goes to Iowa.

we already have Carton on our team; he's Conner McCaffrey.

<<I'm also pretty sure...>>

Which may just be why FM hasn't offered...

Love Locure but suddenly he's going to go from a Drake and Dakota offer to Duke and Kansas?

It sounds like your main qualification for being a true point guard is you have to suck at scoring.
Creating shots. Dishing. Excellent ball handling. Those are the most important qualis for PG, IMO. I'm sure Pete Maravich wasn't a PG in college (too much height to be a PG in those days, I suspect) but he'd make an excellent PG, IMO. Even though you think I think scoring isn't all that. Is Maravich too old a reference? Is Magic Johnson more your expectation of my opinion, scoring-wise? B.J. Armstrong?

Last edited:
The pg from CO, McKinley Wright,that was the MN POTY did not have KS/Duke/NC/KY level offers but he’s obviously really good. Having seen him play vs Iowa and looking at Locure’s film, I think he’s a really good comp. they are similar sized and have similar games. I know everyone wants to comp Locure to Ulis but Ulis played in CHI and did what he did there. Now, for some insane reason, FM didn’t offer McKinley and instead got two 7’ guys. Hopefully FM sees the light and goes after BOTH Locure AND Catron.

TK: Kirk seems to fly under the radar with some of his targets such as a promised offer to keep others from noticing him. Do you think it's possible Fran has promised an offer to Locure?

TK: Kirk seems to fly under the radar with some of his targets such as a promised offer to keep others from noticing him. Do you think it's possible Fran has promised an offer to Locure?
No. I'm sure he's aware of him and perhaps been in touch but nothing along those lines of a promise. He's just too far down his list however long of one it is. Until Fran is out of the running for the others he's after he's not going to come to Locure is what it's shaping up to be. Question is how long are we left hanging on the line for the others before the rug gets pulled out and it's too late to come back to Locure or anyone else

Latest posts