2019 Tyreke Locure

At this point I'd take the first guard who can push the ball and
play a lick of defense. Shooting is gonna be covered. He would lead the league in assists just passing to Jordan, Wisecamp, Cook, Garza, Moss,and Nunge. Just think how many points these guys can score if they could just spot up and shoot. I'm telling you at least offensively this team would be amazing.

At this point I'd take the first guard who can push the ball and
play a lick of defense. Shooting is gonna be covered. He would lead the league in assists just passing to Jordan, Wisecamp, Cook, Garza, Moss,and Nunge. Just think how many points these guys can score if they could just spot up and shoot. I'm telling you at least offensively this team would be amazing.

Only defenses as bad as Iowa's allow you to spot up and shoot.

Ya I'm not shitting on the kid. He definitely has a skill set. He is also what 5 maybe 6" shorter than DJ? I have seen both play in person now and honestly came away impressed with both. Locure's size is an issue with most D1 programs and that is not something easily overlooked. It does cast doubt on his ability to score at a B1G level. However I have stated before that if my PG can handle, pass, drive, and play lock down defense I don't care if he scores. If I were Fran I would consider Locure to be a defensive lock on the perimeter and I would offer him immediately if he told me he would commit immediately. Then I would focus on bringing in Carton as well as an offensive weapon. If he committed I would find a way to make room on the roster. Probably ask Ellingson to grad transfer or walk on for his last season as there is no way he would play over Moss, Daily, Jbo, Wieskamp or Connor. Add in Locure and DJ and there is no way Ellingson touches the floor again.

Plus I think Locure would consider a redshirt year which would help us space out the class.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't both kids in the class after Wieskamp? Meaning Ellingson would be gone by the time they get here even if he came back next year?

I trust Fran's eye for evaluation. If this kid has an attitude issue; depending on what type of attitude issue he has, I'd still take him because I think there are plenty of guys on this team that wouldn't stand for shenanigans. These guys will help him mature.
Why would you trust Fran's eye for evaluation....he's missed on every meaningful PG and the last JUCO PG he took got 0 playing time! If you have the right leadership on the team you can take some of these guys in and get them to play lights out (see Bill Belechik).

FWIW I have heard he isn't a huge fan of Fran because he is "not a winner". This is not an attempt to troll, just passing along what I've heard from someone in the know.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't both kids in the class after Wieskamp? Meaning Ellingson would be gone by the time they get here even if he came back next year?

Oh duh. Today is not my day. So Ellingson, Wagner and Baer will all be gone so 3 scholarships total. Could make that 4 if Fran pays for both of his boys to attend and play here. Maybe this is part of the "hand shake deal". His salary did go up enough to completely offset the cost.

Oh duh. Today is not my day. So Ellingson, Wagner and Baer will all be gone so 3 scholarships total. Could make that 4 if Fran pays for both of his boys to attend and play here. Maybe this is part of the "hand shake deal". His salary did go up enough to completely offset the cost.

That would be a good part of the deal. Giving out 15 scholarships a year increases your odds of getting better players quite a bit.

That would be a good part of the deal. Giving out 15 scholarships a year increases your odds of getting better players quite a bit.

It would probably be as close to cheating that we will ever get lol.

Last edited:
If you haven't watched already, it is time to.

I wasn't familiar with Carton's game before viewing the clip. I can't find more than one dish from Carton in the whole clip. Have Fran recruit both Carton and Locure and have one be a PG and the other a SG.

I wasn't familiar with Carton's game before viewing the clip. I can't find more than one dish from Carton in the whole clip. Have Fran recruit both Carton and Locure and have one be a PG and the other a SG.

Then we will go back to the Marble teams where we have no shooters. It's worth it tho imo.

Then we will go back to the Marble teams where we have no shooters. It's worth it tho imo.
I don't follow. What lineup comprises the non-shooting lineup? You mean no JBo?

Point I'm making is: putting Carton in at PG is like putting in another JBo at PG.

I don't follow. What lineup comprises the non-shooting lineup? You mean no JBo?

Point I'm making is: putting Carton in at PG is like putting in another JBo at PG.

They would only be on a team with Bohannon for one year. I'm not following what you mean. Bohannon and Carton's games are completely different.

Their sophomore lineup could be

Locure
Carton
Weiscamp
Nunge
Garza

Not a great shooting lineup. But like I said, I would take it. Connor would probably be in there as well but he isn't a shooter either.

I just realized if we got both of them, Patrick would be the only "big" for 2 straight classes. After Nunge and Garza are gone, we would have a bunch of underclassmen for post players. Hopefully one of them is Foster.

Their sophomore lineup could be

Locure
Carton
Weiscamp
Nunge
Garza

Not a great shooting lineup. But like I said, I would take it. Connor would probably be in there as well but he isn't a shooter either.

You don't think Nunge and Garza shoot well for bigs? Wieskamp? That lineup seems like it should be fine at shooting.

You don't think Nunge and Garza shoot well for bigs? Wieskamp? That lineup seems like it should be fine at shooting.

Guys that shoot good for bigs aren't the same as good shooting guards. Having your 1 and 2 be below average 3 point shooters isn't ideal. But there is more than one way to skin a cat and having bigs pull their defenders out to open the lane for Carton is good.

Why would you trust Fran's eye for evaluation....he's missed on every meaningful PG and the last JUCO PG he took got 0 playing time! If you have the right leadership on the team you can take some of these guys in and get them to play lights out (see Bill Belechik).

ummmm....5 of Fran's first 6 seasons were with Cartwright and Gesell as pg's (along with RDM and Sapp). Cartwright was an emergency recruit because there wasn't a pg on the team when Fran go here. Let that sink in for a sec to give you an idea of just how far Iowa basketball had fallen. Cully Payne, who flopped at DePaul transferred out before Fran's first jump ball at Iowa.

Fran would have been lynched if he had not landed Gesell. But he did and MG was our pg (for the most part) through the 2015-16 season. Leading up to the 2014 season, Fran missed on landing Tyler Ulis, who went to UK. Prior to last season, Fran walked away from Moore (can't remember his first name), but landed JBo instead.

Now, Fran hasn't "mis-evaluated" any of those guys, with the exception of, perhaps, JBo. But keep in mind, JBo was a fall back pg because of how the whole Moore thing went down late in recruiting. But, JBo is an excellent shooter and a decent pg, but he is playing out of position.

So, I would argue that Fran has not mis-evaluated any pg that he's signed. He's not signed a couple of his top choices, but that is an altogether different argument.

Latest posts