2019 Tyreke Locure

I don't know what it's going to take for some people to realize that Locure at this time isn't a high major prospect.

Why would you worry about Prohm establishing a "Flint" connection to a school that doesn't have a single kid ISU is currently recruiting?
Oh, I don't know, because Ames is about 30 miles up the road. Prohm may not have connections now, but I've heard good things about that coach and because he's not recruiting them now is no guarantee that he won't.

You and I will both have to wait and see, because it's also no guarantee that he will, either

I'm not saying that Locure is going to be the second coming of Allen Iverson. But he has two things, right now, that no one on our current roster has-ball pressure quickness and penetration skills.

One of my on court concerns about Locure, and it's a legitimate one, is that BIG caliber guards will get him in frequent foul trouble, especially when he tries to pick their pocket.

Last edited:
Especially when they've reportedly had their eye on his freshman backup who's name slips me now.

That whole DM North program is worth watching. I've heard good things about that coach. You definitely would like to establish an Izzo/Flint type connection before Prohm does.

The freshman PG from Dsm North that backed up Locure is Malik Allen. Obviously if you play varsity as a frosh you're really good. If Locure wasn't already there he'd probably start. That said I was more impressed with Locure his freshman season than what I saw from Allen this year and that is not meant as any kind of knock on Allen, I just think Locure was better at the same age.
I just think it's frustrating that Iowa has had a clear thinness at PG last 2 years, they've got a talented one in-state with Locure and they seem to be playing hard to get. Ive said this before but it's worth repeating. If the Hawks sign 1-2 better PG's in 2019 I won't be disappointed. But if they strike out on Terry and Carton AND miss out on Locure I'll be pissed about it.

One of my on court concerns about Locure, and it's a legitimate one, is that BIG caliber guards will get him in frequent foul trouble, especially when he tries to pick their pocket.

Aren't the reach in rules the same in high school? Either way a good defender should adapt quickly.

The entire situation with Locure reminds me a lot of Iowa's recruiting of Wes Washpun. It was clear to lots and lots of people that the in-state PG was better than his offer list, but Iowa waited so long to offer and didn't build the relationship over time to the point that they got burned when they finally offered late. Hopefully history doesn't repeat itself.

Agreed. While he's not as highly touted and it's different sports, reminds me some of Oliver Martin too. If you wait too long after a bunch more offers come in the kid might even be insulted.

Aren't the reach in rules the same in high school? Either way a good defender should adapt quickly.
I'm sure the rules are the same. It's the craftiness of veteran BIG conference guards that he'll have to adjust to. A good point guard can turn over agressivness against an opponent and get him thinking rather than reacting. The ball will then be in Tyreke's or DJ's or whoever's court to adjust accordingly.

Other than the obvious fact that he's received no high major offers yet, admittedly a red flag, please tell us why you think he isn't one.

You answered your own question. No one whose job it is to put the best teams on the floor believe he can help them win at this point. Iowa State isn't recruiting him at all. Iowa obviously isn't recruiting him that hard. UNI hasn't even offered him. He has 1 MVC offer from a hometown school that is historically awful.

You answered your own question. No one whose job it is to put the best teams on the floor believe he can help them win at this point. Iowa State isn't recruiting him at all. Iowa obviously isn't recruiting him that hard. UNI hasn't even offered him. He has 1 MVC offer from a hometown school that is historically awful.

OK. Because no P-6 school has offered him, that's why he must not be P-6 material.

I get your point but recruiting history is full of examples of players unrecruited by P-6s in basketball of P-5s in football who it turns out, when it's all said and done, really were that P-level quality.

Often, once one P school offers a kid, other ones follow suit, as if the kids actual talent isn't the question, only that, well one P school offered him so, he must actually have P-level talent so we should offer him too.

It's hard to say whether he really isn't P-level or if his height and early alleged attitude problems hindered him from receiving any early offers and schools are waiting for the first P-6 school to offer him so they can feel it's OK to offer him too.

OK. Because no P-6 school has offered him, that's why he must not be P-6 material.

I get your point but recruiting history is full of examples of players unrecruited by P-6s in basketball of P-5s in football who it turns out, when it's all said and done, really were that P-level quality.

Often, once one P school offers a kid, other ones follow suit, as if the kids actual talent isn't the question, only that, well one P school offered him so, he must actually have P-level talent so we should offer him too.

It's hard to say whether he really isn't P-level or if his height and early alleged attitude problems hindered him from receiving any early offers and schools are waiting for the first P-6 school to offer him so they can feel it's OK to offer him too.

It is a pretty good indicator. You could probably list on one hand the number of players each year that only got Mid Major offers that are actually high major players.

Also I'd say the "hit" rate of kids ranked in the top 50 each year is like 90%+ . Basically the odds of DJ being a really good high D1 player at this point is just way greater than Locure being that high level D1 player.

I haven’t seen him play but I think he’s a bit of a tweeter between a 3/4.
You are probably correct, but if you can play, they will find a spot for you. I watched Nevada quite a bit this winter and that whole team is full of 'tweeners. That said, Noah is still very much a diamond in the rough. Staying healthy and having a good AAU season would attract more attention. He's a Barnstormer, saw him in the Rock classic in the Madison area a couple weeks ago. Would love to have seen Quad City Elite (DJ Carton) but they weren't there. Still lots of good competition, though

It's not even like he's just on edge of P6 offers right now. He has an offer from a historically bad program in Drake, and an offer from UND which recruits Iowa like crazy because of their staff, and they were DII until 2012. He's not being recruited by UNI. He's not being recruited by Creighton. A P6 offer would be a huge jump from the interest he is receiving now.

From what we've seen lately with grad transfers, there are a lot of very success mid to low-major players who put up huge numbers in their old conferences who were basically a nothingburger at the P6 level. ISU recruited Mark Alstork who went to Illinois pretty hard last year. He went from scoring 19 PPG in the Horizon to 5.8 in the Big 10.

If nothing else I think grad transfers are for the most part showing us that coaches are pretty good in their initial evaluations.

It's not even like he's just on edge of P6 offers right now. He has an offer from a historically bad program in Drake, and an offer from UND which recruits Iowa like crazy because of their staff, and they were DII until 2012. He's not being recruited by UNI. He's not being recruited by Creighton. A P6 offer would be a huge jump from the interest he is receiving now.

From what we've seen lately with grad transfers, there are a lot of very success mid to low-major players who put up huge numbers in their old conferences who were basically a nothingburger at the P6 level. ISU recruited Mark Alstork who went to Illinois pretty hard last year. He went from scoring 19 PPG in the Horizon to 5.8 in the Big 10.

If nothing else I think grad transfers are for the most part showing us that coaches are pretty good in their initial evaluations.

I'm actually not disagreeing with you. What I'm saying is that if Iowa and one other P6 program offers, suddenly TL is a top recruit. It's very possible Fran will offer him, if he whiffs on Carton and Terry and it's possible then that another P6 school would then offer him as well.

It's almost like he'd then magically be considered a P6 prospect, though his game remained the same. We're totally basing our assessment of his abilities on the correlation of types of offers than on his actual abilities, to an extent.

It is a pretty good indicator. You could probably list on one hand the number of players each year that only got Mid Major offers that are actually high major players.

Also I'd say the "hit" rate of kids ranked in the top 50 each year is like 90%+ . Basically the odds of DJ being a really good high D1 player at this point is just way greater than Locure being that high level D1 player.

How many kids don't receive a P6 offer until their senior year? I really don't know, just wondering.

How many kids don't receive a P6 offer until their senior year? I really don't know, just wondering.

I'm not sure, and frankly if Locure blows up and gets a bunch of offers this all changes. All I am saying is if we get past this summer and Locure hasn't picked up quality offers like DJ, the odds of him ending up being >>> DJ are slim.

So is this a contest of who blinks first at this point? I mean, is there something they looking for that he hasn't already shown? Serious question.
I've been told that coaches give more consideration to how a recruit plays in AAU games. I have no idea why, since it's basically hero ball with very little defense.

I've been told that coaches give more consideration to how a recruit plays in AAU games. I have no idea why, since it's basically hero ball with very little defense.
That honestly blows my mind... AAU ball sucks to watch. It's like watching the McDonalds all American game. PGs do dominate those games but the lack of structure to it just makes it seem like it'd be tougher to evaluate them not easier/better.

That honestly blows my mind... AAU ball sucks to watch. It's like watching the McDonalds all American game. PGs do dominate those games but the lack of structure to it just makes it seem like it'd be tougher to evaluate them not easier/better.
It might explain why most teams have so many recruiting misses.

Latest posts