2019 Tyreke Locure

I totally agree Rob. Locure might end up being great, I have no idea I haven't seen him play. I am simply saying the odds of a kid who is now ranked #30 by Rivals, and has a offer list like is has a very high % chance of being better than a kid who doesn't even get a P6 offer.

With that, I not disagree. Carton is a better prospect right now if we’re measuring by rankings and offers.

I’m not even of the belief that Iowa should have already offered. A coach should offer when he sees fit. That’s his job.

I do not think it’s good to go without any contact with an instate kid for four months. It’s not like you have to push hard, just keep the lines of communication open.

With that, I not disagree. Carton is a better prospect right now if we’re measuring by rankings and offers.

I’m not even of the belief that Iowa should have already offered. A coach should offer when he sees fit. That’s his job.

I do not think it’s good to go without any contact with an instate kid for four months. It’s not like you have to push hard, just keep the lines of communication open.

Agreed. Fran is in a tough spot here. Obviously DJ is plan A and rightfully so. You can't let a top 30 ranked kid leave your backyard without a fight. Terry is plan B, and Locure plan C it seems. I agree you don't ignore him for 4 months, there is some disconnect here for some reason.

The Hockey assist and deflected balls on defesne (dribbles poked, or passes tipped) are my favorite "non-stats"

The other great one is "shots discouraged." We can track blocks, or who rebounds a miss. But very difficult to quantify the shots that never got off because the ball was denied or some player was a menacing presence that scared the offensive player away from pulling the trigger.

It doesn't matter if he blows up or not. I don't need validation to believe. I see the kid. I have seen his work. I can state with absolute confidence that he is a better defender than anyone we have had since Sapp as an upperclassmen. Isn't that what we need most? Why does it matter if any other team needs that as badly as we do? What does it matter if he has P6 offers? He is a on ball pressure defender. What more do we need to know?

thank you adam. i'm seeing a lot of hedge in this thread because folks make statements based of ratings and not what they see with eyeballs on video. i could be wrong, because i'm only human, but TL is a legit talent and i can only speculate that what we are seeing with his (lack of) offers is what a bad reputation can do for you. no head in the sand here about attitude, but there are credible reports that it is over blown. in my opinion, TL's "blowing up" will hinge on coaches being to evaluate TL's "attitude" this AAU season.

DJ can penetrate too. Not as quick as Locure though. DJ projects very well as an offensive player. The biggest separation between the 2 on offense is size. The offensive skill that Locure has that I have never had the chance to see DJ do as much is lead the break. Push the ball down in the blink of an eye and then make good, fast decisions to pass or go to the hole.

DJ is the higher prospect because he has the size and speed to play guard at D1. Locure's size is a major concern for most teams. There is no guarantee for either kid, but projection wise DJ has a way higher ceiling.

That said I like DJ and would love him to be a hawk, but at this point the idea of not taking Locure or at least making a push on him seems dumb. You could easily take both so why wait? Locure solves 1 glaring defensive issue. He doesn't even need to take minutes from Connor. For Locure's first couple of years I would imagine he gets 7 to 10 minutes a game. Brought in specifically when the opposing PG is having success getting his team into great offensive sets. He gets us a couple of timely stops and takes the opposing PG out of his mojo. That might be worth 2 scholarships for Iowa right now. Connor could easily slide over to the SG while Locure gets his defensive minutes. A couple stops per game is sometimes all that separates a 25-6 team from a 17-13 team.

DJ is a straight line player, he doesn't have a lot of stop n go beyond head/ball fakes. what really puts pressure on a defender is change of pace and direction with speed and quickness to surprise. That is why I like TL over DJ.

thank you adam. i'm seeing a lot of hedge in this thread because folks make statements based of ratings and not what they see with eyeballs on video. i could be wrong, because i'm only human, but TL is a legit talent and i can only speculate that what we are seeing with his (lack of) offers is what a bad reputation can do for you. no head in the sand here about attitude, but there are credible reports that it is over blown. in my opinion, TL's "blowing up" will hinge on coaches being to evaluate TL's "attitude" this AAU season.

I mean it is crazy to think that coaches who do this professionally and have seen more than just "highlight" videos of these kids might actually know more about them than us message boards posters.

Recruiting rankings are NOT the end all beat all, that is for sure. Yet the odds of internet posters basing an opinion off a highlight video being more correct than professional coaches is very slim.

Uh huh. I mean if you saw someone's highlights on HUDL you would think they scored a TD every time they touched the ball.

When it comes to Locure or DJ or anyone else, if someone has seen them first hand I will immediately defer to their judgement. Except for Locure's quickness and penetration skills. You don't need a first hand eye test for that. You still would for his judgement and basketball IQ, etc.

JBo also had an offer from UNI and Depaul, two offers better than Locure currently has.

Aaron White had offers from Boston College and NW. I could be wrong I just went and looked at their profiles.

I'll say it again, DJ may be a better all around player but Tyreke would give us two things, right now, that we don't have-on ball pressure and penetration into the lane. He does not have to be a big scorer to have value if he can disrupt the other team's sets.

DJ's skill set may or may not be redundant with what we already have. Again, some of you have seen these players more than I have and I'm hoping to catch Quad City Elite sometime.

A top 50 player has a skill set that is "redundant" with what Iowa already has? This is literally insane.

Again, what doesn't confuse me is why he doesn't have P6 offers. He's not getting even mid-major type offers. He's got a low major offer by a college coach with deep Iowa ties and one by a historically bad program in Drake. Iowa State, who is absolutely going to NEED a PG in the 2019 class, isn't even recruiting him as far as I can tell. I'm sure you guys all think he's great, but I've said it a million times, but if he wasn't from Iowa and you guys hadn't seen him play, offering the #270 prospect who is clearly undersized would cause an absolute uproar on this board. It is extremely difficult to play at the P6 level at his size. It's been rarely done.

For all the defense talk, he fouls out A LOT. If you're fouling out playing for the polar bears, he absolutely cannot play the way he's currently playing in college.

JBo also had an offer from UNI and Depaul, two offers better than Locure currently has.

Aaron White had offers from Boston College and NW. I could be wrong I just went and looked at their profiles.
P

A top 50 player has a skill set that is "redundant" with what Iowa already has? This is literally insane.

Again, what doesn't confuse me is why he doesn't have P6 offers. He's not getting even mid-major type offers. He's got a low major offer by a college coach with deep Iowa ties and one by a historically bad program in Drake. Iowa State, who is absolutely going to NEED a PG in the 2019 class, isn't even recruiting him as far as I can tell. I'm sure you guys all think he's great, but I've said it a million times, but if he wasn't from Iowa and you guys hadn't seen him play, offering the #270 prospect who is clearly undersized would cause an absolute uproar on this board. It is extremely difficult to play at the P6 level at his size. It's been rarely done.

For all the defense talk, he fouls out A LOT. If you're fouling out playing for the polar bears, he absolutely cannot play the way he's currently playing in college.
You obviously like coming at me on this board. Well like they say in radio, thanks for listening.

Now that the pleasantries are out of way. I can point out to you in about five of my posts where his over aggressiveness could be a problem on the D 1 level with foul trouble and the like.

I have pointed out in several posts that Carton is probably a better all around player.

Ratings are like you know what's, and you have no more educated a guess than I do at this point.

There are plenty of examples of players Locure's size playing D 1. Perfect example, Dean Oliver, who was an inch taller.

I can't explain why ISU isn't in on him. I'm not Greg Prohm.

Keep the pleasantries coming Bryce, I'll be here for you!

Aaron White did not have offers from BC and NW. He chose Iowa over St. Bonaventure.

I forgot about DePaul for Bohannon. I guess that counts as a P6 offer, kind of, in the technical sense.

I mean it is crazy to think that coaches who do this professionally and have seen more than just "highlight" videos of these kids might actually know more about them than us message boards posters.

Recruiting rankings are NOT the end all beat all, that is for sure. Yet the odds of internet posters basing an opinion off a highlight video being more correct than professional coaches is very slim.
Yeah, because nobody on this board has seen Locure play in person :rolleyes:

Ratings are like you know what's, and you have no more educated a guess than I do at this point.

Why isn't UNI on him? Why isn't Evansville? AGAIN, the guy is getting the bare minimum interest at this point. I do have a much more educated guess than you do, because I'm relying on experts in both recruiting and coaching to help me come to this conclusion.

They could all be wrong. But I'm not a global warming denier either.

Yeah, but he's an IOWA KID! And everyone knows that the one thing we are missing is a jitterbug type of player, not a 5 star PG.

Why isn't UNI on him? Why isn't Evansville? AGAIN, the guy is getting the bare minimum interest at this point. I do have a much more educated guess than you do, because I'm relying on experts in both recruiting and coaching to help me come to this conclusion.

They could all be wrong. But I'm not a global warming denier either.

AGAIN: Locure is by no means a slam dunk. AGAIN: His overagressiveness could cost him at the next level. AGAIN: DJ is probably a better all around prospect. AGAIN: Tyreke's specialized skills, penetration and ball pressure are better NOW than anyone we currently have.
All we can do is wait and see, as you had to have seen in one of my previous posts because you comment on them so much:) Evan Dean admits that and he's questioned Locure love. But by claiming the validity of your sources of knowledge you are setting yourself up to look like the insane one. Players the age of Tyreke and DJ can make rapid improvements in their games in a short amount of time. Or go the other direction. Do you get to AAU tournaments? Maybe we can cross paths this season.

I don't need to be reminded of global warming! It's late April and I haven't put snowblower away yet.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yeah, because nobody on this board has seen Locure play in person :rolleyes:

TK, I don't know if you are a relative or what, but I said long ago that if he were 3" taller he would have major offers. This isn't about his "game" per say, it is just is it a good enough game AT HIS SIZE to be an effective P6 PG. Right now the answer to that is no. Could change this summer, and I wouldn't be upset at all if that is who Iowa gets at PG. Just think this whole Locure >>>> DJ is crazy.

LOL. ok deano, you're the man. no competing thoughts allowed. otherwise, it's crazy. was Tyler Ulis as highly rated as DJ? Hmmmmmmm

LOL. ok deano, you're the man. no competing thoughts allowed. otherwise, it's crazy. was Tyler Ulis as highly rated as DJ? Hmmmmmmm

Yeah, Ulis was rated very highly and had a MSU and Kentucky offer.

You are free to your own thoughts, and I am free to find others crazy. Just because someone thinks and says they were abducted by aliens doesn't mean I can't think they are crazy.

The other great one is "shots discouraged." We can track blocks, or who rebounds a miss. But very difficult to quantify the shots that never got off because the ball was denied or some player was a menacing presence that scared the offensive player away from pulling the trigger.
YESSSS My dream job would be just locking myself in a room and watching hours upon hours of film to count these up and put together a report haha

TK, I don't know if you are a relative or what, but I said long ago that if he were 3" taller he would have major offers. This isn't about his "game" per say, it is just is it a good enough game AT HIS SIZE to be an effective P6 PG. Right now the answer to that is who the hell knows. Could change this summer, and I wouldn't be upset at all if that is who Iowa gets at PG. Just think this whole Locure >>>> DJ is crazy.
I've seen both of them play in person multiple times and my observations tell me that DJ is a higher prospect as a shooting guard and Locure is higher prospect at point guard. DJ doesn't have the lateral quickness or passing skills that Locure has. I'm on record as wanting both of these guys on the Iowa team. Locure at the #1 and Carton at the #2.

Latest posts