2019 Tyreke Locure

It might explain why most teams have so many recruiting misses.
For sure. The only thing that does make more sense to me is the coaches get to watch them in person at these deals. Watchin them during their HS seasons is practically impossible for them during their own. I can see taking a lot of credence to that but still...

For sure. The only thing that does make more sense to me is the coaches get to watch them in person at these deals. Watchin them during their HS seasons is practically impossible for them during their own. I can see taking a lot of credence to that but still...
Definitely. One other thing is that a lot of coaches really shouldn't be coaches (at least at the Div 1 level). Same could probably be said for athletic directors...

I'm not sure, and frankly if Locure blows up and gets a bunch of offers this all changes. All I am saying is if we get past this summer and Locure hasn't picked up quality offers like DJ, the odds of him ending up being >>> DJ are slim.

No argument there.

I'm not sure, and frankly if Locure blows up and gets a bunch of offers this all changes. All I am saying is if we get past this summer and Locure hasn't picked up quality offers like DJ, the odds of him ending up being >>> DJ are slim.

Exactly... but we've been getting told Iowa needs to get in on Locure cuz he's gonna blow up for a year and a half.

Exactly... but we've been getting told Iowa needs to get in on Locure cuz he's gonna blow up for a year and a half.

It doesn't matter if he blows up or not. I don't need validation to believe. I see the kid. I have seen his work. I can state with absolute confidence that he is a better defender than anyone we have had since Sapp as an upperclassmen. Isn't that what we need most? Why does it matter if any other team needs that as badly as we do? What does it matter if he has P6 offers? He is a on ball pressure defender. What more do we need to know?

It doesn't matter if he blows up or not. I don't need validation to believe. I see the kid. I have seen his work. I can state with absolute confidence that he is a better defender than anyone we have had since Sapp as an upperclassmen. Isn't that what we need most? Why does it matter if any other team needs that as badly as we do? What does it matter if he has P6 offers? He is a on ball pressure defender. What more do we need to know?
I'll say it again, DJ may be a better all around player but Tyreke would give us two things, right now, that we don't have-on ball pressure and penetration into the lane. He does not have to be a big scorer to have value if he can disrupt the other team's sets.

DJ's skill set may or may not be redundant with what we already have. Again, some of you have seen these players more than I have and I'm hoping to catch Quad City Elite sometime.

Dude looks like a good enough passer to me, granted I've never seen him in person. You'll never see the turnovers or someone out of control on HUDL.

This bring up a question I've had about passing and assists. Does anyone out there know of a coach or team that tracks the "hockey assist", the pass that leads to the assist?

Just curious. Sometimes that's the most important pass because it's the one that truly shifts or breaks down the defense.

And you seldom hear it mentioned in broadcasts and there's no official stat for it.
The Hockey assist and deflected balls on defesne (dribbles poked, or passes tipped) are my favorite "non-stats"

I'll say it again, DJ may be a better all around player but Tyreke would give us two things, right now, that we don't have-on ball pressure and penetration into the lane.

DJ's skill set may or may not be redundant with what we already have.

DJ can penetrate too. Not as quick as Locure though. DJ projects very well as an offensive player. The biggest separation between the 2 on offense is size. The offensive skill that Locure has that I have never had the chance to see DJ do as much is lead the break. Push the ball down in the blink of an eye and then make good, fast decisions to pass or go to the hole.

DJ is the higher prospect because he has the size and speed to play guard at D1. Locure's size is a major concern for most teams. There is no guarantee for either kid, but projection wise DJ has a way higher ceiling.

That said I like DJ and would love him to be a hawk, but at this point the idea of not taking Locure or at least making a push on him seems dumb. You could easily take both so why wait? Locure solves 1 glaring defensive issue. He doesn't even need to take minutes from Connor. For Locure's first couple of years I would imagine he gets 7 to 10 minutes a game. Brought in specifically when the opposing PG is having success getting his team into great offensive sets. He gets us a couple of timely stops and takes the opposing PG out of his mojo. That might be worth 2 scholarships for Iowa right now. Connor could easily slide over to the SG while Locure gets his defensive minutes. A couple stops per game is sometimes all that separates a 25-6 team from a 17-13 team.

Locure is worth a P6 offer for certain in my mind. I'm not sure why Fran is waiting, but there's still quite a few months left in the '19 class. I wouldn't be surprised after this weekend's tournament in Dallas if we don't see Fran pull the trigger.

I do think that holding off has it's benefits especially if no other P6 offers come for him. Keeps him under the radar because as soon as another P6 offer comes others will start looking and then it just builds up from there. I do however think a P6 offer is inevitable in this situation so Fran should pull the trigger ASAP. Tyrell Terry with the Minnesota offer will be hard to beat, and who knows the next team in for DJ. Still think the Hawkeyes have a good chance at landing DJ, but if enough scholarships prevail themselves I would not be opposed to taking Locure/Carton, Terry/Carton.

DJ can penetrate too. Not as quick as Locure though. DJ projects very well as an offensive player. The biggest separation between the 2 on offense is size. The offensive skill that Locure has that I have never had the chance to see DJ do as much is lead the break. Push the ball down in the blink of an eye and then make good, fast decisions to pass or go to the hole.

DJ is the higher prospect because he has the size and speed to play guard at D1. Locure's size is a major concern for most teams. There is no guarantee for either kid, but projection wise DJ has a way higher ceiling.

That said I like DJ and would love him to be a hawk, but at this point the idea of not taking Locure or at least making a push on him seems dumb. You could easily take both so why wait? Locure solves 1 glaring defensive issue. He doesn't even need to take minutes from Connor. For Locure's first couple of years I would imagine he gets 7 to 10 minutes a game. Brought in specifically when the opposing PG is having success getting his team into great offensive sets. He gets us a couple of timely stops and takes the opposing PG out of his mojo. That might be worth 2 scholarships for Iowa right now. Connor could easily slide over to the SG while Locure gets his defensive minutes. A couple stops per game is sometimes all that separates a 25-6 team from a 17-13 team.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we don't see Connor switch to baseball full time sometime in his college years. Wouldn't be surprised if it was when this class came in. I think Fran knows Connor's big league shot is in baseball.

Thanks for the info. Some good stuff. Do you height/weight for Carton? Is he strong enough to muscle his way inside?

If Locure can hit free throws, you could insert him late in games to help protect a lead, with his quickness and ball handling skills. As a third guard, not replacing your starting PG.

Maybe Fran gets the vibe that Locure would go somewhere other than Iowa given the chance, so his best bet is to not offer until late to try not to open the flood gates.

Jordan Bohannon didn't have any other Power 5 offers.
Aaron White didn’t have any other P6 offers.

I totally agree Rob. Locure might end up being great, I have no idea I haven't seen him play. I am simply saying the odds of a kid who is now ranked #30 by Rivals, and has a offer list like is has a very high % chance of being better than a kid who doesn't even get a P6 offer.

I have no doubts that Locure would have several more offers if he was 3 inches taller.

Thanks for the info. Some good stuff. Do you height/weight for Carton? Is he strong enough to muscle his way inside?

If Locure can hit free throws, you could insert him late in games to help protect a lead, with his quickness and ball handling skills. As a third guard, not replacing your starting PG.

Locure is an excellent FT shooter, I don't know his % off the top of my head but he's been 80+ all 3 years of high school so far.

Latest posts