2019 Recruiting: Big Board

Not only do we need a PG, but is anybody slightly concerned that aside from Garza, we'll be pretty weak inside after Cook leaves? What about PF? defensive presence, rebounder, enforcer...call it what you will.
I think Fran sees E.J. Liddell as that kind of presence. He's been recruiting him pretty aggressively for some time.

I’m not debating whether he should or shouldn’t stay, I’m just saying I think he’s gone after next year. I’d wager fairly heavily on it, but that’s just my opinion.

After this spring, you'd think so.

Lidell looks good, also looks like there's plenty of competition for him. Who else is on Fran's radar to fill that need?

Last edited:
After this spring, you'd think so.

Lidell looks good, also looks like there's plenty of competition for him. Who else is on Fran's radar to fill that need?
I think we are behind Illinois and Mizzou for Lidell. Trayce Jackson-Davis and Jeremiah Robinson-Earl are both top 25 kids and also appear like long shots at this point. Zeke Nnaji is another Minnesota kid and a name that has been mentioned, who has blown up lately. He seems like more of a tweener 3/4 that Fran likes.

Again, I’m not sure that is a definite need in the 2019 class, with Nunge and Garza around for three more years most likely.

The teams that had a lot of success in the tournament last year played 4 players with “guard” skills and one bruiser “big”. That means having a bunch of bigs is less imperative in today’s game. If Pmac can put on some weight I think he will be able to spend some minutes at 4 with his length.

It is interesting to think about this now. There was a lot of hype surrounding this recruiting class with Pat and all the other high profile guys we were in on early.

Fast forward a few months later and things don’t appear as optimistic. I’d say our chances with Carton are maybe 30%, if we don’t land him it’s hard to say where we turn for a PG. Pat is now rated #80 by 247 which many believe is a more accurate ranking. Most of the noise about some of the other top guys has lightened and most would appear to be long-shots.

If Iowa has an average year or another stinker like last year and we don’t land Carton, it’s hard to see any reason for much optimism surrounding this program going forward.

It is interesting to think about this now. There was a lot of hype surrounding this recruiting class with Pat and all the other high profile guys we were in on early.

Fast forward a few months later and things don’t appear as optimistic. I’d say our chances with Carton are maybe 30%, if we don’t land him it’s hard to say where we turn for a PG. Pat is now rated #80 by 247 which many believe is a more accurate ranking. Most of the noise about some of the other top guys has lightened and most would appear to be long-shots.

If Iowa has an average year or another stinker like last year and we don’t land Carton, it’s hard to see any reason for much optimism surrounding this program going forward.

or it could go the exact opposite way, and then what will you bitch about?

and by YOU, I mean everyone, not just you Nike. Sorry if I came off that way. I'm just saying, Iowa could bounce back this season just as easily as it could have another down year. The pieces are in place for at least a step in the right direction. Who knows? A year from now, there may be a TON of optimism in the program. None of us know, but it certainly seems to be easier to wallow in what was 1 really bad year, so I don't blame ya.

and by YOU, I mean everyone, not just you Nike. Sorry if I came off that way. I'm just saying, Iowa could bounce back this season just as easily as it could have another down year. The pieces are in place for at least a step in the right direction. Who knows? A year from now, there may be a TON of optimism in the program. None of us know, but it certainly seems to be easier to wallow in what was 1 really bad year, so I don't blame ya.
I can be optimistic as I was when I started this thread about the 2019 class. As I noted in my post above I am now not as optimistic about it.

Reed Fenton is visiting Iowa. He is a 6 ft 4 or 6 ft 5 off guard from Pennsylvania. I'm not sure if he has a scholarship offer.

Yeah, here come the fallback Drake type recruits!
Could it be Oglesby/Ellingson/Frederick 4.0? ;)

All joking aside I think early in the 2019 recruiting process many of us including myself were giving Fran & Co support for putting our name in there on some big fish. We told ourselves that the head start would give us a chance. As I posted yesterday and as you follow it more it does appear that our chances with most of those big time recruits aren’t very good as the blue bloods and established area teams have come calling.

Th question is now where do we turn? Are we behind with the mid level kids that we normally would be in on because we spent all our time pursuing top 50 kids? Does that mean we have to go further down the chain as you stated above?

Who knows. At this point it seems it’s Carton or bust.

Could it be Oglesby/Ellingson/Frederick 4.0? ;)

All joking aside I think early in the 2019 recruiting process many of us including myself were giving Fran & Co support for putting our name in there on some big fish. We told ourselves that the head start would give us a chance. As I posted yesterday and as you follow it more it does appear that our chances with most of those big time recruits aren’t very good as the blue bloods and established area teams have come calling.

Th question is now where do we turn? Are we behind with the mid level kids that we normally would be in on because we spent all our time pursuing top 50 kids? Does that mean we have to go further down the chain as you stated above?

Who knows. At this point it seems it’s Carton or bust.
Yeah, here come the fallback Drake type recruits!

http://www.hudl.com/profile/6926748/Reed-Fenton

Not saying either of you are wrong on this kid, but he certainly appears much more athletic then Ogelsby/Ellingson and I think we should technically wait and see what Frederick can offer before we completely typecast him, but Fenton looks different then those guys. Looks pretty athletic, has a good shot and likes to throw it down. Problem is, he can't possibly be a fall back for PG as he appears closer to a small forward then a PG in those highlights.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/6926748/Reed-Fenton

Not saying either of you are wrong on this kid, but he certainly appears much more athletic then Ogelsby/Ellingson and I think we should technically wait and see what Frederick can offer before we completely typecast him, but Fenton looks different then those guys. Looks pretty athletic, has a good shot and likes to throw it down. Problem is, he can't possibly be a fall back for PG as he appears closer to a small forward then a PG in those highlights.
I was completely joking hence the winky face and then saying all joking aside. I know absolutely nothing about the kid I was making fun of the posters who said that about Frederick before we've even seen him in a college game.

or it could go the exact opposite way, and then what will you bitch about?

Under-performing with and misutilization of high end talent. We should have won the national championship. If we win, we should have won by more and stocked up more talent for future classes. ;)

Latest posts