2016 Recruiting Over/Under - 9 Two Stars; 1 Four Star

I am at a point where I just don't trust this staff on coming up with an original game plan, or making good decisions during game day coaching. I think this coaching staff flat out loses more games, or make more games competitive than ever should happen. I give them an F- on this front.

I am not at a point where I think this staff can't recognize talent. They have just proven too many times that they can recognizing NFL type talent where others just flat out miss it. There is a reason this program has put so many 2* and 3* kids into the NFL, and it ain't because the players all of a sudden gain NFL talent after they come to Iowa (it was always there). They are finding a kid that has that potential and they see it, and they sign it, where other programs just don't see it. They they do a good job of teaching the fundamentals, and then the inherent NFL talent (that was always there) comes out, and they get a shot at playing in the NFL.

Lets just look at the 2* DB that Phil Parker has coached and gotten into the NFL for instance:
Godfrey, Fletcher, Spievey, Hyde, Paschal

Here are some others that didn't make the NFL, but were great DB's at Iowa and were 2* kids:
Jovan Johnson, Greenwood, Miller, Lowdermilk

Now we have King who was also a 2* kid. When it happens this often, it ain't a fluke.

You try to make your point without acknowledging some very key facts.

Yes, Iowa has put a lot of lightly recruited players into the NFL but when that is predominant type of player you recruit for every one they put in 5-6 will accomplish very little, if anything, in their careers leaving you severely handicapped.

Due to Kirk's outdated football philosophies, uber conservatism and his inept game and clock management skills his teams need A LOT of talent to overcome that and still be successful. The 2009-10 teams were filled with player's other Power 5 schools actually wanted and went on to the NFL but could only go 18-7 over those two years with the 2009 team needing miracles and breaks - that rarely come your way - playing games to the wire with teams that had no business being on the field with them (Northern Iowa, Arkansas State, Michigan, Georgia Tech) to have a successful year. The 10 team didn't get those breaks and couldn't overcome Kirk's idiocy.

You cannot be as bad of a game day coach as Kirk is AND fill your roster with MAC talent - no matter if more than a few of them end up blossoming - and win games. It is a recipe that is impossible to be successful with . Given that we've had only one really good year in the last 10 I don't know how many more it will take before people start catching on to this.

This staff is often unable to close on top recruits when they have to go up against other big name schools with better coaching staffs. But when they do land 4 star talent, the results are unavoidable. 4 stars are BETTER PLAYERS!!

2006 - Clayborn & Jeramiah Hunter: 4 stars and turned out to be studs
2007: Ballard, Bernstein, Binns, and Balaga: 4 stars and turned out to be studs.
2009: Keenan Davis & Brandon Weigher: 4 stars, both played extensively as freshmen and clearly had talent (Davis didn't live up to the hype)
2010: Coker, Derby, Donnal, Fiedorowitcz: 4 stars, all but Coker were drafted. Coker could have been if things went smoothly.
2011: Blythe, Hamilton, Walsh: 4 stars. Three out of the 6 best players on the team right now.
2012: Jaleel Johnson & Ryan Ward: 4 stars and guys the staff is high on.
2014: Scheel. The one underclass skill player who has generated buzz.

Think about it. Although we have only had a hand full of 4 stars in the past decade on our 85 man rosters, most of them were among the best players on the team. If we could get four 4 stars each year like 2007 or 2010, we would be a better program. No question about it. Stars matter.

Binns was a 2 or 3*, depending what service you look at.

This staff is often unable to close on top recruits when they have to go up against other big name schools with better coaching staffs. But when they do land 4 star talent, the results are unavoidable. 4 stars are BETTER PLAYERS!!

2006 - Clayborn & Jeramiah Hunter: 4 stars and turned out to be studs
2007: Ballard, Bernstein, Binns, and Balaga: 4 stars and turned out to be studs.
2009: Keenan Davis & Brandon Weigher: 4 stars, both played extensively as freshmen and clearly had talent (Davis didn't live up to the hype)
2010: Coker, Derby, Donnal, Fiedorowitcz: 4 stars, all but Coker were drafted. Coker could have been if things went smoothly.
2011: Blythe, Hamilton, Walsh: 4 stars. Three out of the 6 best players on the team right now.
2012: Jaleel Johnson & Ryan Ward: 4 stars and guys the staff is high on.
2014: Scheel. The one underclass skill player who has generated buzz.

Think about it. Although we have only had a hand full of 4 stars in the past decade on our 85 man rosters, most of them were among the best players on the team. If we could get four 4 stars each year like 2007 or 2010, we would be a better program. No question about it. Stars matter.

OMG, you are a joke dude.

Of the 4* kids you listed, literally 1/3 of them did nothing for the Hawks (Bernstein, Weigher, Coker, Derby) or little (Davis, Hamilton) Plus you didn't list the extra flame outs from Iowa's 4* over those years (Garmon, Coe, Everson, Morrow). So you have 8 great 4* kids (Clayborn, Hunter, Ballard, Balaga, Donnal, CJ, Blythe, and Jaleel) and 10 that have done little or nothing. That is over 1/2 of our 4* kids whom you want to claim "make us great"

Iowa's great years are always fueled by having top notch players that were 2* or 3* kids. The '02, '03 & '04 years were filled with them. The '08 and '09 teams were predominately them (Brodell, Fletcher, Godfrey, King, Greene, Kroul, Myers, Seth Olson, Sims, Angerer, Calloway, Yanda, Edds, DJK, Klug, Morse, Spievey, Stanzi, Vandervelde, Binns, McNutt, Sash, Greenwood, Zusevics)
We did have some good 4* kids as well on those '08 & '09 teams (Ballard, Bulaga, Clayborn, Hunter, Moeaki, and Eubanks)....but to pretend that those few 4* kids made those couple years is beyond dumb.

LOL!! Dean - do us all a favor and stop posting...ever! You are embarrassing yourself over and over again.

Bernstein did nothing? Hmmm, he was all Big 10 and did enough to get drafted in the 7th round by the Redskins. 4 star flop?
Weigher did nothing? Hmmmm, he holds the U of Iowa freshmen rushing record, and rushed for almost 3000 yrds last year. He's a Carolina Panther. 4 star flop?
Coker did nothing? Hmmm. MVP of our last bowl game win. Was Big 10's 2nd leading rusher in 2011. 4 star flop?
Davis did nothing? Hmmmm. He led the team in receiving his jr and sr year. 4 star flop?

You are a bafoon. Stop responding to my posts. Keep being thrilled with 2 star recruits because 1/1000 could be bob sanders, while most will be Reid Seilbys and Connor Kornbraths. We don't want 4 stars, that's why we don't get them.

Of the 4* kids you listed, literally 1/3 of them did nothing for the Hawks (Bernstein, Weigher, Coker, Derby) or little (Davis, Hamilton)

LOL!! Dean - do us all a favor and stop posting...ever! You are embarrassing yourself over and over again.

Bernstein did nothing? Hmmm, he was all Big 10 and did enough to get drafted in the 7th round by the Redskins. 4 star flop?
Weigher did nothing? Hmmmm, he holds the U of Iowa freshmen rushing record, and rushed for almost 3000 yrds last year. He's a Carolina Panther. 4 star flop?
Coker did nothing? Hmmm. MVP of our last bowl game win. Was Big 10's 2nd leading rusher in 2011. 4 star flop?
Davis did nothing? Hmmmm. He led the team in receiving his jr and sr year. 4 star flop?

You are a bafoon. Stop responding to my posts. Keep being thrilled with 2 star recruits because 1/1000 could be bob sanders, while most will be Reid Seilbys and Connor Kornbraths. We don't want 4 stars, that's why we don't get them.

Of the 4* kids you listed, literally 1/3 of them did nothing for the Hawks (Bernstein, Weigher, Coker, Derby) or little (Davis, Hamilton)

You just proved his point. Bernstine, Wegher and Coker ALL had no more than one complete season. Bernstine gets the "pass" by virtue of injury, but Wegher and Coker both left for issues that could hardly be called "injury-related". Davis was a good and loyal Hawkeye, but he hardly left anyone saying, "He sure lived up to his billing!"

Meh on Bernstein and Davis. I'd take 2* or 3* kids like KMM, DJK, McNutt, Brodell, Hyde, Fletcher, Godfrey, Sash all day long and twice on Sunday. LOLOLOL trying to even use Weigher or Coker as example of 4* "successes" that is simply as dumb as it comes. I see you didn't even try to defend your contention that Derby was a 4* "success" HAHAHAHAHA. I also see you had nothing to say about the fact that the '02, '03, '04, '08, and '09 teams were dominated by 2* and 3* players.

I'll stop responding to your post, when you stop posting the dumbest sh!t on the internet.....that is saying something, as the internet is full of dumb azz sh!t. As long as you are attacking Iowa Hawkeye players or commits and calling them garbage, I'm gonna keep calling you out.

After they get on campus they are a team, the stars mean nothing. So the 4 star guys were a little stronger and faster when they were in high school, they have to work out and go to meetings like the 2 star guys. The 4 star guys we do get are not the same as the ones that go to Florida State or Alabama, they still need a year of weights and practice to be contributors or reach potential.

There's such a fine line between most 3 and 4 star kids i doubt many on here would be able to tell the difference... (not that i could either) It's stupid to argue what a kid is ranked when he's 18 or younger when their likely isn't a lot of difference in the 400th ranked kid vs the 280th ranked kid.

Where do you get your information from? Just saw a Tweetby him that said OFFICIAL and picture of him shaking hands with Kirk.

Tom Kakert ‏@HawkeyeReport 1h1 hour ago

Apparently not commit number 21 for Iowa.

Hawkeyes appear to be full at defensive back for the Class of 2016 at this moment.

Apparently not commit number 21 for Iowa.

Hawkeyes appear to be full at defensive back for the Class of 2016 at this moment.

Tom might want to check his sources. Sure looks like the kid is committing to Iowa. I also find it hard to believe that Iowa is only going to take verbals from 25 kids. That wouldn't be smart. Better thing would be to take 30 to 40 verbals and then thin things out as get closer to signing day. We certainly know that some kids will change their verbal commitments before all is said and done.

It's obvious that stars do matter. Every year the best programs get the highest star recruits which usually translates to the best teams. It's hard to argue with that. Even the article that says star rankings are based upon who is recruiting the player doesn't mean it's "bogus". It just means that they are assuming that the best teams are doing their jobs in recruiting and decided this player is what they want (over time these programs establish a reputation of being able to find top end talent) So I don't think it's outlandish to have that be an affect on star ratings.

With that being said, I don't think you should put ALL your chips in on the star ratings... This program has shown many times they are able to see talent or players that will excel in our system and (given time) will develop to be able to compete at the same level.

I think dean drilled the nail on the head when he said it's the coaching staff's game day decisions that hinder us more than the recruiting itself. Now, would more "talented" players counter act boneheaded decisions? Possibly. I don't see how it can hurt us.

I've watched a few highlight tapes and I realize they are just highlight tapes but so far I like what I have been seeing. It appears to be a growing athletic class that will help build for the future.