2014 Basketball Recruiting: Interests and Offers

Honest question: At what point does having Clemmons/Gesell/Woodbury starting as freshman make Iowa more "marketable" if you will in recruiting?

There is one scenario in which I can see Iowa getting a PG in the 2014 class, Fran has no plan to not play Clemmons/Gesell in the same backcourt predominantly. Keeping them both in the lineup and both able to play without the ball in their hands.

With the success of Iowa and that due in large part to the jobs that the three starting freshman are doing, does it allow Fran and staff to lock in on certain players and say look who you will be playing with for your first two years on campus?

Thoughts?

Honest question: At what point does having Clemmons/Gesell/Woodbury starting as freshman make Iowa more "marketable" if you will in recruiting?

There is one scenario in which I can see Iowa getting a PG in the 2014 class, Fran has no plan to not play Clemmons/Gesell in the same backcourt predominantly. Keeping them both in the lineup and both able to play without the ball in their hands.

With the success of Iowa and that due in large part to the jobs that the three starting freshman are doing, does it allow Fran and staff to lock in on certain players and say look who you will be playing with for your first two years on campus?

Thoughts?

I'm kind of torn on this one. On one hand I think it hurts recruiting because the kids obviously want as much playing time as possible. But on another the kids want to win and it gives them an opportunity to play behind three guys who will be juniors by the time they come to college and it gives them a great environment to improve their game by going against Clemmons, Gesell or Woody every day in practice.

For the coaching staff I think it allows them to be more selective with who they go for though.

I know it's a long shot, but a reporter for NBA.com is reporting that Coach Fran made a visit to see Rashad Vaughn play today.

I know it's a long shot, but a reporter for NBA.com is reporting that Coach Fran made a visit to see Rashad Vaughn play today.

Definite long shot, but I think if Fran can get him to focus on the Iowa program and get it in his head to look at what Iowa is missing, Vaughn would be that player.

Fran has also proved time and time again he isn't afraid to start freshman.

Fran is ready to take it to the next level in recruiting.

The Hawkeyes had a history of attracting NBA level talent that puts you in contention for B1G Ten Championships and deep runs into the NCAA tournament. Not so much the last 10 to 15 years.. with exception to Reggie Evans, and (Pierre Pierce- f524k up and Tyler Smith transfer and f&%k up).

Tremendous roster now, albiet fringe NBA ballers (long time pros over seas) and now is the time.

Can Fran bring in the sure fire NBA 1st rounder in the next 2 to 4 years? Not once, but twice?

If Fran can and I believe he will.... IOWA competes for championships and Final Fours for the next decade to come.

IOWA is BACK

Last edited:
Here is a guy mentioned before, he is from the same HS as Olaseni and here are some pieces from some articles:

Marvin Clark - Yahoo! Sports

5/23/11:
Marvin Clark, SF, Big Shots- One of the best finds of the weekend, the 6-foot-5 sophomore from Kansas City looks to have some tools. He is a big-time athlete and he knows how to finish explosively at the rim. Clark can also handle the ball a bit, hit a few floaters in the lane and also knocked down some three-pointers.

5/21/12:
Finally, junior small forward Marvin Clark used last year's K.C. Classic to put himself on the map. This year, the 6-foot-6 wing from Blue Springs (Mo.) High used the event to get his groove back. Playing extended minutes for MoKan's 17's on Sunday, Clark was all over the glass and came up with several big finishes in transition. A pretty good spot-up shooter and a guy who can finish through contact, Clark has the ability to give MoKan a tremendous boost during EYBL play if he continues to pay with the confidence he did throughout the weekend.

11/2/12:

Clark settling in at Sunrise
During the summer, Clark got a taste of high level play in the EYBL. After getting that taste for high-level play, the well built 6-foot-6 junior wing is working to raise the level of his own game.
"I think it's going to be real good for me," said Clark of his move to Sunrise. "I've gotten bigger, stronger, faster and been working on everything else. I'm going to be more prepared."
A southpaw who can shoot it a bit from deep, Clark is a good baseline finisher, can rebound and is an above-the-rim finisher in transition. He's heard from many of the same programs as Nairn as well as others such as Utah, Iowa State, Oregon, Wichita State and Missouri State.
"I played in the EYBL last summer and I feel like I showed some glimpses," said Clark. "I'm showing more now and I think that I'm going to be a lot bigger factor down the road.

Looks like he would be a solid player early being a really good bench player early in his career as Iowa is going to be a veteran team at that point.

We need someone who can make a three point shot.

We need guards and more guards. I don't care about who is here currently, we need someone who can break people down off the dribble and make a 3 pointer consistently and guard someone 1 on 1. There is no player in our current roster who can do this. I don't care if he's 5 foot 5 or 6 foot 5.

Fran is ready to take it to the next level in recruiting.

The Hawkeyes had a history of attracting NBA level talent that puts you in contention for B1G Ten Championships and deep runs into the NCAA tournament. Not so much the last 10 to 15 years.. with exception to Reggie Evans, and (Pierre Pierce- f524k up and Tyler Smith transfer and f&%k up).

Tremendous roster now, albiet fringe NBA ballers (long time pros over seas) and now is the time.

Can Fran bring in the sure fire NBA 1st rounder in the next 2 to 4 years? Not once, but twice?

If Fran can and I believe he will.... IOWA competes for championships and Final Fours for the next decade to come.

IOWA is BACK

Are you high?

Are we the first big six conference to give him an offer, I can't remember. I know he is getting more teams to talk to him I just didn't know if we were the first to offer him.

DePaul could be appealing since it's Chicago, but I'm not too worried about Colorado. Now if Michigan State comes in then that could be trouble. Especially with his cousin playing for Sparty.

I talked to him this morning and said there would be no ugly 58 point performances at home against Purdue with him running the point in a few years.

Latest posts