2014 Basketball Recruiting: Interests and Offers

After yesterday's game, I have done a 180 on my dream class. Two players remain, but Bonifas drops off my radar now, in part because of how Gabe is improving, so a big man can wait another year. When McCabe/Basabe graduate, the 2015 class can address that. Iowa will still have Meyer, Uthoff, and Woodbury, freshman can fill-in if any major injury happens.

Dominique Collier is still on my wish list
Malek Harris no change
Paul White or Josh Cunningham

Iowa is still missing the element of big time athletes on the wings and a combination of Harris/White/Cunningham would fit that bill. White is probably a long shot at this point, we will see as he is supposed to trim his list soon. White is a guy that does everything well, but nothing outstanding according to scouts, still at Top 60 recruit.

Harris and Cunningham are both Top 150 kids and around 6'7" with high athletic ability.

The inability to have guys that can match-up to the Oladipo/Hardaway/Richardson/Thomas type player is the main driver. Minnesota has Hollins who is long and athletic as well, Dawson at MSU and a Thompson at OSU. Iowa is match-up problem from being an excellent team. Not saying Iowa has to recruit an elite player, it would be nice, but a player that matches up well in those situations.

I like your reasoning here. Unless Bonifas shows something this year, or we get sudden interest from someone like C Alexander, I think we should go all guard/wings. Haven't heard much about Iowa/Collier lately but lots about Sumner, Miles Reynolds- guards who would fill a similar need. Agree that Collier is still at the top of my list. Can Harris shoot it? I see him more as a defensive player. Haven't heard much lately about Cunningham or Barnett (a favorite of mine) either. With 2014 visits allowed soon, I'm hoping for some more buzz soon. A victory vs a MI team soon would sure help the sales team.

My son's bb team (he's just back to playing after 3 breaks in his arm from hs soccer in late Sept. and surgery) has played or will play a number (like 8) D1 players being or have been recruited. The best one his team plays against in my opinion is going to OSU (Giopp). He's in our conference. You will hear a lot about this kid in the future. He's the 6-7 attack forward everyone dreams to have. #2 Hill is going to Illinois. He's a bit raw, but has a lot of upside. Comments below.

2014 Interests/Offers.

THREE SCHOLLIES TO GIVE

Larry Austin - Springfield, IL (Offers from Iowa, KSU, Memphis, Missouri, Wake Forest, others Haven't seen him, but he's not gonna come to Iowa. He's a real deal

Peyton Allen - Chatham, IL (Offers from Iowa, Okie St) Chatham Glenwood is always good in everything. His team is 10-4 and not exactly tearing up schools in the 800 to 1000 student range. Actually he gets no coverage in the area. He may be a sleeper under the radar, but not a sure thing.

PF -

Michael Finke - Champaign, IL (Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Is going to Illinois. Kind of soft when being pressured. A bit a project. Held to 3 points in his team's big loss to Normal. Normal isn't very strong this year. Not a big loss, but decent upside. That will be a fun game as Centennial has recruited a guard from Chicago.

C -
Jahlil Okafor - Chicago, IL (Iowa, Illinois, Mich State, UNC, Ohio State, more)
His team was in the same tourney side bracket, but my son didn't play them. They struggled against a team my son's team beat. Son's team does not have a good record, but with under 1,000 kids in the high school, we have been playing a number of teams with 2,500 kids and quite competitively. Although highly rated, I thought the pg on the team was by far the best player on the team. The team they struggled against didn't have a guy over 6-4 (neither do we) and is a farming community. He didn't dominate them, but made some impressive plays a few times. Missed a dunk at the buzzer.

Not seeing a tremendous amount of potential here with this list.

My son's bb team (he's just back to playing after 3 breaks in his arm from hs soccer in late Sept. and surgery) has played or will play a number (like 8) D1 players being or have been recruited. The best one his team plays against in my opinion is going to OSU (Giopp). He's in our conference. You will hear a lot about this kid in the future. He's the 6-7 attack forward everyone dreams to have. #2 Hill is going to Illinois. He's a bit raw, but has a lot of upside. Comments below.

Kid going to OSU is No. 20 on Rivals, so not a shock that he has a good future.

Keep with the updates on kids Iowa has a shot at, from what you list Allen is the only one.

Did you see Paul White? What did you think of him?

I like your reasoning here. Unless Bonifas shows something this year, or we get sudden interest from someone like C Alexander, I think we should go all guard/wings. Haven't heard much about Iowa/Collier lately but lots about Sumner, Miles Reynolds- guards who would fill a similar need. Agree that Collier is still at the top of my list. Can Harris shoot it? I see him more as a defensive player. Haven't heard much lately about Cunningham or Barnett (a favorite of mine) either. With 2014 visits allowed soon, I'm hoping for some more buzz soon. A victory vs a MI team soon would sure help the sales team.

From what I have read Cunningham is more of a scorer than Harris, but each are good in the open floor because of their athleticism.

Honestly, if neither were a good offensive player as a freshman, but can be big contributors defensively it is what Iowa will need most with that team.

I think scoring will be a plenty with who will be on the roster, but think about a bench that can bring a ton of talent and athletic options to the table.

The Barnett kid is interesting, but there is something that I didn't like and it is just me, he says Iowa said he is their No. 1 target...makes me wonder how interested Iowa really is.

Tyler Ulis can now be added to the list of potential Hawkeyes. He has an Iowa offer and is apparently looking to visit Iowa City. He is a 5-8 PG and is ranked as the #5 junior in Illinois. He has been called the best PG in Illinois for any class. His only high major offer is Depaul (if Depaul can be called high major).

Ulis has no offer see story, it is a pay site, but says he has no high major offers came out today:

http://illinois.rivals.com/barrier_...*=content.asp&cid=1458866&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

Ulis has no offer see story, it is a pay site, but says he has no high major offers came out today:

http://illinois.rivals.com/barrier_...*=content.asp&cid=1458866&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

Just because he said he has no high major offers doesn't mean he doesn't have one from Iowa. He might not consider Iowa the type of high major school he is looking for. He looks pretty good in high school, but if he isn't super quck and fast, I think Iowa can find someone better.

Just because he said he has no high major offers doesn't mean he doesn't have one from Iowa. He might not consider Iowa the type of high major school he is looking for. He looks pretty good in high school, but if he isn't super quck and fast, I think Iowa can find someone better.

That is laughable, is there are article anywhere that says he has an Iowa offer?

I haven't found any, but in his school lists on a couple sites I don't see Iowa listed either.

I have seen a few tweets linking him to Iowa, so it must be true, he doesn't consider Iowa major program.

The only concrete offer I have found on him is Loyola.

Latest article about him I have found with schools, no mention of any offers and no mention of Iowa:
http://www.sj-r.com/sports/x35746369/Shootout-offers-holiday-feast-of-boys-basketball

I think people say kids have offers when they don't, not the kid themselves, but people around them see that Iowa has watched him and talked to him then report he has an offer. Like Eli Carter and Iowa a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
That is laughable, is there are article anywhere that says he has an Iowa offer?

I haven't found any, but in his school lists on a couple sites I don't see Iowa listed either.

I have seen a few tweets linking him to Iowa, so it must be true, he doesn't consider Iowa major program.

The only concrete offer I have found on him is Loyola.

Latest article about him I have found with schools, no mention of any offers and no mention of Iowa:
Shootout offers holiday feast of boys basketball - Springfield, IL - The State Journal-Register

I think people say kids have offers when they don't, not the kid themselves, but people around them see that Iowa has watched him and talked to him then report he has an offer. Like Eli Carter and Iowa a couple of years ago.

I know Iowa is a high major school. I just thought to this guy the way things were stated he didn't think so. His coach said Iowa would take him in a minute. I don't know if he has an offer or not, but I know Fran knows what he is doing both in coaching and recruiting.

I know Iowa is a high major school. I just thought to this guy the way things were stated he didn't think so. His coach said Iowa would take him in a minute. I don't know if he has an offer or not, but I know Fran knows what he is doing both in coaching and recruiting.

I guess Josh Cunningham and Milik Yarbough have Iowa offers. They are both from Illinois.

I see that, but I also question it as well...today a lot of people report to have offers after coaches come and see them, don't know what to believe. Iowa seems to be pretty tight lipped about offers, except when it is kids they really want, not to say he doesn't.

That is absolutely the problem with following recruiting. The coaches can't talk about it, and the players and high school coaches have incentive to exaggerate a little.

I kind of hope he has an offer, his height is a problem, but he seems like one hell of a high school player.

That is absolutely the problem with following recruiting. The coaches can't talk about it, and the players and high school coaches have incentive to exaggerate a little.

I kind of hope he has an offer, his height is a problem, but he seems like one hell of a high school player.

Agree, but honestly, I don't like a PG in this class, unless it is a guy in the 6-3 or 6-4 range that is a combo guard.

It is like the Yarbrough having an offer, where is that at? Very clouded when it comes to recruiting.

I like SG/SF's in this class a lot, get as many as you can get. Guards take you deep in the tournament, can't have enough of them. Look at Villanova a few years ago and all those guards that went to the NBA and they had big guys that didn't do much other than rebound and play defense. It is partly why I have thought so highly of Michigan heading into this season, look at all the quality back court players they have...wow, not all were elite prospects either.