2014 Basketball Recruiting: Interests and Offers

@IllinoisRivals

"Iowa head basketball coach Fran McCaffery in the house watching 2014 forward Michael Finke from Champaign (Ill.) Centennial"

Champaign Centennial is taking on Peoria High School at a tournament in Springfield, IL.

A class of Collier, Harris and Bonifas would suffice for me. Once Jok and Uthoff are in uniform, I think Iowa has plenty of shooters, prior to that I thought Allen was a priority.
If Iowa cannot get Finke, then Bonifas has to be a priority, but I don't see Finke staying hidden much longer and Groce is already doing a heck of a job since he has been in Illinois.
To me Iowa needs to go all out at Collier and Harris as they are not just highly regarded basketball players, but scouts rave about their athleticism as well.

Do we have a chance with Yarbrough? Kid's a stud.

Although I think he would have filled a need for us I'm glad he committed somewhere early so we can focus on our other top targets for that class.

I'm hoping Iowa goes SG, PG, and PF/C for this 2014 Class.

Here is a new name with little information though...Edmond Sumner from Detroit Country Day.

Looks as if Iowa has seen him in person, but I can't find a whole lot of other information on him.

Here is his profile:
Edmond Sumner - Yahoo! Sports

Here is the link that Iowa has seen him a 4-star recruit with no school list at this point; either late bloomer, academic issues or trouble:
Rivals.com Basketball Recruiting - Whispers: Hysteria in the heartland

I'll check out their schedule and see if they play anywhere close to me.

Here is a new name with little information though...Edmond Sumner from Detroit Country Day.

Looks as if Iowa has seen him in person, but I can't find a whole lot of other information on him.

Here is his profile:
Edmond Sumner - Yahoo! Sports

Here is the link that Iowa has seen him a 4-star recruit with no school list at this point; either late bloomer, academic issues or trouble:
Rivals.com Basketball Recruiting - Whispers: Hysteria in the heartland

I'll check out their schedule and see if they play anywhere close to me.

According to this article, the only reason Beilein didn't offer him on a recent visit is weight. He's only 6'3"/145 lbs and expected to grow taller. Although it's a MI recruiting article, Sumner did tell the interviewer that MI would be his leader if they offered.
Tremendous: An Introduction to Edmond Sumner and Visit Reaction (basketball)

Still like Collier the best of this type of guard we are pursuing- CO isn't as good in BB to compete against either.

According to this article, the only reason Beilein didn't offer him on a recent visit is weight. He's only 6'3"/145 lbs and expected to grow taller. Although it's a MI recruiting article, Sumner did tell the interviewer that MI would be his leader if they offered.
Tremendous: An Introduction to Edmond Sumner and Visit Reaction (basketball)

Still like Collier the best of this type of guard we are pursuing- CO isn't as good in BB to compete against either.

Colorado is on the upswing.

Interesting offer I just saw, could he be the Trey Burke of Chicago Whitney Young:

Miles Reynolds - Yahoo! Sports

The third wheel that doesn't get a lot of notice because he runs the team and simply does his job.

Remember Burke committed to PSU early and didn't have a ton of offers to begin with as he was surrounded by so much more 'elite' talent on his HS team and Aaron Craft was so much better than him in AAU.

This would be the only scenario that I see Iowa signing a true PG though, an under recruited player that the staff feels they must have.

After yesterday's game, I have done a 180 on my dream class. Two players remain, but Bonifas drops off my radar now, in part because of how Gabe is improving, so a big man can wait another year. When McCabe/Basabe graduate, the 2015 class can address that. Iowa will still have Meyer, Uthoff, and Woodbury, freshman can fill-in if any major injury happens.

Dominique Collier is still on my wish list
Malek Harris no change
Paul White or Josh Cunningham

Iowa is still missing the element of big time athletes on the wings and a combination of Harris/White/Cunningham would fit that bill. White is probably a long shot at this point, we will see as he is supposed to trim his list soon. White is a guy that does everything well, but nothing outstanding according to scouts, still at Top 60 recruit.

Harris and Cunningham are both Top 150 kids and around 6'7" with high athletic ability.

The inability to have guys that can match-up to the Oladipo/Hardaway/Richardson/Thomas type player is the main driver. Minnesota has Hollins who is long and athletic as well, Dawson at MSU and a Thompson at OSU. Iowa is match-up problem from being an excellent team. Not saying Iowa has to recruit an elite player, it would be nice, but a player that matches up well in those situations.

You don't replace seniors with freshman. Woody, Myer, Uthoff and freshman would be a recipe for disaster.

You don't replace seniors with freshman. Woody, Myer, Uthoff and freshman would be a recipe for disaster.

What direction do you want to see it go? Couple guards and a big man, couple big men and a guard?

Also, my expectation that Woodbury/Uthoff would be playing 30+ minutes, or 25+ with Meyer playing a lot of minutes as well. Barring major foul trouble, I don't see any real issue as Woodbury/Utoff will be seniors and Meyer a Jr.

Again that is a recipe for disaster. Foul trouble in one game puts you in position to rely on freshman. An injury would be completely crippling.