2014 Basketball Recruiting: Interests and Offers

leslie had more juco experience, but they are at the same age.

dickerson was a 2-star 2012 recruit. did prep school, now juco for one year.

http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/basketball/31130-trey-dickerson-2012-pg.html

he is what he is - very fast, but still working on getting his game under control. fran knows what dickerson can and can't do, and has seen him for along time.

Uggh, now that one is news to me. Explains the little added extra maturity. Once that translates onto the court we should be flying.

Is Iowa in on Jalen Brunson from Stevenson? Outstanding JR. guard
The usual suspects are stalking Brunson....Izzo and the entire Illini coaching staff was at his game this week. Duke, KU and Michigan are in the fray.... his dad, Rick, former Temple star and NBA player, is handling the recruiting and he is going to make sure Jalen ends up at a great school....like Michigan, Duke, or Stanford.

Not sure if this has been posted or noted. Sports 247 lists Willie Atwood and Trey Dickerson as the #6 and #9 Junior College recruits for 2014. They are also the top 2 and 3 JC recruits still uncommitted. Just for some perspective, Novian Cherry, whom many here liked, is rated at #28 by this site and Purcell, is he a JC recruit?, is no where to be found on their lists.
2014 Basketball Top Junior College Recruits

Also interesting is that their staff predict 2:1 that Dickerson will go to Nebraska over Iowa
Trey Dickerson's Crystal Ball Predictions
and 4:2 that Michael Nzei will pick Iowa over Iona.
Mike Nzei's Crystal Ball Predictions
No predictions yet for Atwood.
I think they may be off on the destinations.

247 is full of it. Their "experts" don't know much more than the rest of us. The crystal ball gimmick is a joke.

In many cases, especially in basketball since many are football guys, they know less than the rest of us. Most of these guys aren't keyed into a guy's recruiting like hardcore fans. The only ones to pay creedence to are beat reporters for a kid's top schools and his hometown paper.

Question: If Nzei picks up a real offer from an East Coast school, do you think he takes it on the spot?
I think he would because why else hasn't he committed to Iowa at this point?
It would be interesting who Iowa would still be after if Nzei was to actually say yes to Iowa.
This Atwood kid intrigues me, so I am hope Iowa get him, if his offensive rep proceeds him, he will replace Mel's scoring for sure, but I would still like to see Iowa get Nzei as well because he can learn and develop, maybe even redshirt his first year and be ready to go. I don't see Uhl redshirting next year, he seems to have all the skills, but how that translates with the players Iowa has back will be anyone's guess.
The only reason a PG makes sense is for days like today, AC is out and Iowa will lose Marble, I still don't see it as a high priority, but you can't have enough guards on the roster.

what I got from my aau guys is that nzei's hs and aau coaches have a love affair with east coast schools, and it's more important to them to send a kid to them than to some place in the midwest, unless its msu, um, notre dame, or indiana. nzei wants former big east or acc offers.

I think if atwood is ready to commit, the staff pressures nzei, and if nzei still wants to stay east, he can play for freakin iona while atwood plays for a couple of iowa teams that make deep runs in the ncaa.

The only reason a PG makes sense is for days like today, AC is out and Iowa will lose Marble, I still don't see it as a high priority, but you can't have enough guards on the roster.

I don't think Fran wants another PG per se. He wants another creator with the ball now that RDM is going and one that possesses speed we haven't seen at Iowa for a while. Dickerson is Fran's second choice to Ulis for this type of skill set in 2014.

Wrong. Scott Lindsay was his second choice. We lost our second choice to northwestern and our third choice to Vanderbilt. Dickerson is his fourth choice at least.

Wrong. Scott Lindsay was his second choice. We lost our second choice to northwestern and our third choice to Vanderbilt. Dickerson is his fourth choice at least.

So are those two players just like Dickerson?

Are both of them shot creators?

I don't know the book on both of them, so help me out?

I thought Lindsey was a 6'5" shooter and LaChance a pure PG at 6'2"...help me out.

So are those two players just like Dickerson?

Are both of them shot creators?

I don't know the book on both of them, so help me out?

I thought Lindsey was a 6'5" shooter and LaChance a pure PG at 6'2"...help me out.

You're right ST. Totally different players, but all can get their own shot in different ways and so stretch the D. That's what we're losing in RDM and Fran is trying to find a player that might help ease his loss next year or the year after. BTW, I think Dickerson was lower on the list because he's JC and Fran prefers 4-yrs if possible. But Dickerson is the next best thing as a 3-year player.

Here's a quote from a recent article concerning the Atwood and Dickerson offers that helped me understand the strategy: Scout.com: McCaffery Previews PSU

"We've got some flexibility," McCaffery said. "It's not like we're in panic mode. We don't have a lot of offers out. We really have very few. Most of the guys we're offering are (high school) juniors.
"That's the thing you have to weigh. Do we really need to bring a guy in this year or can we wait? There are times when you're looking for a certain fit. If a guy fits, then we offer. It's the only way I'm able to make sense in recruiting a kid, to be able to tell him, "Look, this is a position that we need. This is a skill set that we're graduating and you can come in and help us.""
Versatile performers Roy Devyn Marble, Zach McCabe and Melsahn Basabe are seniors on this year's 16th-ranked Hawkeyes. Dickerson can play both guard spots and Atwood does the same at forward.
Some fans have wondered why McCaffery would add a point guard in his class, especially one from junior college, with Mike Gesell and Anthony Clemmons returning next season with two years of eligibility.
"Anytime you recruit somebody it's because they bring a particular skill set that's different than what you have," McCaffery said. "It's the only reason you do it. If I offer somebody, I look at them as a guard who can play or a forward who can play or just a guy who can play but can play more than one position.
"I don't pigeon hole. I think we're beyond the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 numbering system. That's obsolete."

what I got from my aau guys is that nzei's hs and aau coaches have a love affair with east coast schools, and it's more important to them to send a kid to them than to some place in the midwest, unless its msu, um, notre dame, or indiana. nzei wants former big east or acc offers.

I think if atwood is ready to commit, the staff pressures nzei, and if nzei still wants to stay east, he can play for freakin iona while atwood plays for a couple of iowa teams that make deep runs in the ncaa.

Palm, is Nzei a better prospect than Atwood? I really haven't seen any Nzei highlights. Are they similar players?

I don't think Fran wants another PG per se. He wants another creator with the ball now that RDM is going and one that possesses speed we haven't seen at Iowa for a while. Dickerson is Fran's second choice to Ulis for this type of skill set in 2014.

I agree, with the style of offense Fran likes to run you cannot have enough players who can create their own shot no matter what position they play.

Palm, is Nzei a better prospect than Atwood? I really haven't seen any Nzei highlights. Are they similar players?

nzei is a better prospect, if prospect means room for further growth and what the possible ceiling might be. the rep on nzei is he's a super athlete with a super motor. raw offensive game that, against top-flight competition, consists mostly of put-backs and run out dunks. unless he really polishes his face up and jump shot game, he's a more athletic mel.

atwood is much further along and thus has a lower hypothetical ceiling, and isn't as athletic as nzei, but could step in right away and give you what mel does, plus maybe a little better with his face up game (hard to tell off of the youtube vids).

it's a short-term vs. long term thing.

I like nzei's potential, but if fran gets tighter with boudreaux you don't really need nzei, and atwood could step right in and replace what mel gives you, and maybe some of what the good version of mccabe gives.

nzei is a better prospect, if prospect means room for further growth and what the possible ceiling might be. the rep on nzei is he's a super athlete with a super motor. raw offensive game that, against top-flight competition, consists mostly of put-backs and run out dunks. unless he really polishes his face up and jump shot game, he's a more athletic mel.

atwood is much further along and thus has a lower hypothetical ceiling, and isn't as athletic as nzei, but could step in right away and give you what mel does, plus maybe a little better with his face up game (hard to tell off of the youtube vids).

I like nzei's potential, but if fran gets tighter with boudreaux you don't really need nzei, and atwood could step right in and replace what mel gives you, and maybe some of what the good version of mccabe gives.

Thanks, Palm. Just based on what you stated, I think I would lean towards Attwood. I can't tell you how many times the past 4 seasons where Basabe would get an outlet pass at the free throw line extended and I'd think to myself, that dude is wide open. That is a shot that is usually left unguarded and we don't take enough advantage of it. Granted, MB has taken it a few times in his career, but it needs to be an everytime thing. If that is Attwood, then let's lock him up.

The thing I like about Atwood is his mid-range game. It looks easy for him to shoot that mid-range shot and the free throw. So he could provide some instant offense. If his rebounding translates to D1, that is also a huge asset. Nzei can jump out of the gym, but he's not going to give the immediate dividends of Atwood. I do think that Nzei is a totally different player than Boudreaux. Boudreaux is more physical and a better shooter, I'm thinking McCabe 2.0. Nzei is the athletic freak, Mel 2.0. Depending on who else we get, Fran might go for both.

If Atwood is known for his mid range game sign me up. I love post players that can stretch the floor with their shooting. Players like that help create so much more spacing for the rest of the team to create.

Latest posts