2014 Basketball Recruiting: Interests and Offers

I went to the IHCC vs MCC bball game on Saturday night and man does IHCC have some good players this year. Especially Malik Dime. Guy is just athletic and was unstoppable against the Tigers. He would be great in an up and down style of game. Roderick Bobbitt also had a nice game and has a very smooth stroke from outside.

Indian Hills is a bunch of thugs. I don't want them around here I want to do things the right way.

After watching Iowa lose another home game to Ohio State, I thought I'd pass on an interesting read from another Hawkeye website on recruiting pieces for the remaining 2014 class with two already in the fold.

The following is below:

Let's start with point guard Trey Dickerson. He originally committed to Murray State last year selecting the Racers over Rutgers and Arkansas. He decided to take the JUCO route instead and ended up at Williston State. There, he's averaging 20.2 points and six assists per game. He's originally from New York (Queens) but played high school in California. He's yet to receive an offer from Iowa but appears to favor the Hawks over interest from Missouri, Nebraska, Auburn and Creighton.**Update**
Dickerson uses Twitter to gauge the interest of another prospect (Willie Atwood) about possibly playing together in the future.
Dickerson tweeted directly to Willie Atwood of Connors State Community College (Oklahoma). Atwood is a 6'8" forward that is averaging 21.1 points per game and 9.3 rebounds. Like Dickerson, his lead recruiter is Andrew Francis. Also, like Dickerson, he's yet to receive an Iowa offer but lists offers from Wichita State, Marshall and a couple others. He's receiving interest from K State, Oklahoma, Okie State, Ole Miss and a handful of other BCS level programs.

Another guard prospect is Novian Cherry. He's a 6'5" shooting guard that currently plays for
San Diego Mesa Community College. There, Cherry averages 23 points per game and 6.2 rebounds. He has decided to come back for his sophomre season.

Listed as a small forward but at 6'4" is Johnny Woodard. He was a three-star prospect in 2012 and had offers from Green Bay and Wisconsin-Milwaukee but ended up at North Dakota State College of Science. He's averaging 18.7 points and 5.3 rebounds this year at the JUCO level. He visited Iowa in December but has yet to receive an offer. He has interest from Nebraska and Tennessee.
FROM THE HIGH SCHOOL RANKS. Iowa has shown interest in Zion, Illinois, shooting guard Milik Yarbrough. He holds an Iowa offer as well as scholarship offers from Illinois, Minnesota, Tulsa and Auburn. His school's athletic director recently told 24/7 that Iowa is in his top three schools.
New York small forward prospect Mike Nzei visited Iowa in October. He's a three-star prospect at 24/7 but has yet to receive an Iowa offer. His current leader may be Iona.

It'll be interesting to see who Iowa gets from this group. I know the JUCO route is rare for Iowa, but in this case they may have to reconsider. If other schools do it, why can't Iowa? I know it's a risk in taking a JUCO player, but Iowa should look at these JUCO players since there's interest. Dickerson and Atwood want to play together at the next level. Cherry will be there after next season since he's coming back. Woodard would be a good addition as well.

Any thoughts on who Iowa will get next?

dickerson and atwood

yarbrough is a head case, and woodard isn't going to help a whole lot at SG

not great, but useful -- which is the big problem for next year unless we can get a 5th year transfer who can step in and be a big contributor (good luck with that): this team has a lot of solid players, but no difference makers. expect the same late-game frustrations next year, because the horses are just not there.

2015 needs to bring some top 100 kids, or this program is on the 9-9 treadmill

dickerson and atwood

yarbrough is a head case, and woodard isn't going to help a whole lot at SG

not great, but useful -- which is the big problem for next year unless we can get a 5th year transfer who can step in and be a big contributor (good luck with that): this team has a lot of solid players, but no difference makers. expect the same late-game frustrations next year, because the horses are just not there.

2015 needs to bring some top 100 kids, or this program is on the 9-9 treadmill

So our worse case scenario is middle of the pack in conference and, most likely, NCAA tournament bids every season?

Awesome, we are back to the Mr. Davis years!

So our worse case scenario is middle of the pack in conference and, most likely, NCAA tournament bids every season?

Awesome, we are back to the Mr. Davis years!

I have no problem with that

it's more than reasonable for a program in a state with a very thin in-state base

Perspective...Back to Mr. Davis is a good thing at this point in time. Also, I still firmly believe this team will win at least 11 games...4th straight year of more conference wins under Fran.

Devaughn, come to Iowa! We might have a garbage coach and some sorry *** players but we have the best fans in the country!

Right now I would be thrilled about getting 2 of the 3 when it comes to Dickerson, Atwood and Purcell. I would have to put Dickerson and Purcell above Atwood at the moment, but from what I have seen of Atwood he is just a gamer and you need some players like him.

Dickerson & Atwood..........looks like these two represent fallback positions or just not convinced for many programs as they have far more "interested" than offered at this stage. Might appear that Iowa would fall into that group as they sure have been hunting them for awhile but have yet to pull the trigger.

new name in the mix, Devaughn Purcell

Devaughn Purcell Eastern Oklahoma basketball | JucoRecruiting.com

yes, please.

[video=youtube;He3vuZetijM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He3vuZetijM[/video]

I'm with you Palm. From the highlights I've seen of all the kids listed on the past few pages of this thread, I'd say this kid needs to be the #1 target as best player available. He is exactly the type of athletic kid we need to "showcase"; someone that essentially thinks dunk first. Personally, I think Jok is this type of player but Purcell has way more hops. And why not have both Jok and Purcell? Both kids, in my opinion, project to be instand points players.

Fran will be out on the recruiting trail this week. I hope to hear some news this week. Good time to recruit after a big win.

not crazy about dickerson, but he seems like the best available, and with clemmons shaky this year, the team could use another point -- especially if clemmons has any ideas about pulling a fat pat

purcell can jump, but his handle looks wack in that clip and he's got a funky release. he's also skinny. it's one stupid clip --his handle might be solid, and may have put on a few pounds.

in fran I trust, but a couple of solid juco guys would really help solidify things next year

not crazy about dickerson, but he seems like the best available, and with clemmons shaky this year, the team could use another point -- especially if clemmons has any ideas about pulling a fat pat

purcell can jump, but his handle looks wack in that clip and he's got a funky release. he's also skinny. it's one stupid clip --his handle might be solid, and may have put on a few pounds.

in fran I trust, but a couple of solid juco guys would really help solidify things next year
I have to believe sapp isn't going any where. 2 years in the program. He seems happy all around, even with reduced playing time. Also, he has a semi serious girlfriend that lives in iowa city also

I have to believe sapp isn't going any where. 2 years in the program. He seems happy all around, even with reduced playing time. Also, he has a semi serious girlfriend that lives in iowa city also

SAPP seemed to follow this same path last season and then came on in the 2nd half of B1G season. I think that with RDM gone next season, there is plenty of potential for SAPP to see big minutes and he hopefully sees that. I like the kids game, he's just more of a half court type pg. And, when we get stuck in half court games, you aren't going to pull RDM or MG to play SAPP. Just my opinion.

Regarding Purcell, I didn't notice the handles, I'll hav to take another look. I was too busy projecting how good his dunks would look finishing off Iowa fastbreaks.

Latest posts