Commitment Imminent?--Peter Jok?

With the "risk-reward" approach...the reward (upside) is huge. I think you have to accept the risk, especially with an in-state kid. If Jok were to go somewhere else, and turn out to be the great player he was once thought... that would hurt. We've had enough of that.

I expect Peter Jok to be a star. And with all the depth we have, the pressure on him coming in, is much less than it might be.

I'd be 100% on board with this signing, if it's actually Peter Jok. I realize that the injuries could be a concern, but as has already been pointed out, even if Jok doesn't regain his old athleticism, he is still a very good shooter, and that's a need that Iowa definitely has. If Jok does return to anything near his former self, well, then we just got ourselves a Top-50 recruit that we may not have gotten if he hadn't been flying under the radar. Little to lose, and a LOT to gain out of this IMO.

To cancel a visit from a 3* player from Michigan because a commit is expected from someone else, tells me that the commitment is something that Fran is extremely excited about. That also means that I trust Fran's judgement in talent.

I don't understand the "lethargic" comments. To me he looks to have a decent first step when he needs it, and is smooth. Not everybody is explosive like Lebron. Also it was a practice and we see bits and pieces. Just because he isn't sprinting 100% of the time doesn't mean he's lazy or has no bounce.

If Fran is excited about Peter Jok, I am excited about Peter Jok......get on board the HawkeyeExpress, Peter....it will be a fun ride! Go get him,Fran!

I don't understand the "lethargic" comments. To me he looks to have a decent first step when he needs it, and is smooth. Not everybody is explosive like Lebron. Also it was a practice and we see bits and pieces. Just because he isn't sprinting 100% of the time doesn't mean he's lazy or has no bounce.

I think the "lethargic" comments are in response to a perception of the movement of players with a lot of length. These players often appear to move slower as they're growing into their bodies, which often happens late with them, which is why Fran gets in on them early for rewards later. See White, Marble, etc. This could go doubly for Jok as he's still young and still recovering from injury. Get used to it HN. Fran likes these guys and we'll be seeing them frequently.

Looks like a Glen Worley starter kit to me.

To the extent that Glen Worley also played basketball, I suppose.

Their games are totally different. Jok is a perimeter player who can create his own shot with his handle, his strength and his athleticism. Worley had phenomenal length which allowed him rebound and shoot over defenders. He was not athletic, had below-average strength and he did not possess the skills to create opportunities for himself.

I'm not saying Jok will be an all-american right out of the gate, but the Worley comparison is poor. I'll go with...Joey Range.

He looks great, he doesnt look like he 's limping. I think he has big heart like one of the former player that we had before...Cole.

Looks like a Glen Worley starter kit to me.

To the extent that Glen Worley also played basketball, I suppose.

Their games are totally different. Jok is a perimeter player who can create his own shot with his handle, his strength and his athleticism. Worley had phenomenal length which allowed him rebound and shoot over defenders. He was not athletic, had below-average strength and he did not possess the skills to create opportunities for himself.

I'm not saying Jok will be an all-american right out of the gate, but the Worley comparison is poor. I'll go with...Joey Range.

I personally like the Fat Harrison Barnes comparison myself.

Didn't you watch that video?... He shot 100%. I hope he keeps that up when he's a Hawkeye!:)

Wrong! He missed the bunny about the 2:00 mark before getting the put back. That worries me! We can't having guys missing those shots, better pass on him.

Um, White yes, Marble? He was Lick's recruit who Fran was able to keep. That was not in any way a get in on him early deal.

Marble would not be in the same position with this team if Lick was the coach. Fran understands and appreciates the Marble-type of player = players that seem gawky and "lethargic" as they are developing and growing into their length.

A quicker, bigger Kingsbury

He isn't athletic, the hope is he can become athletic, but he isn't there yet.

wundergrape said:
Jok is a perimeter player who can create his own shot with his handle, his strength and his athleticism.

You are describing a player you wish existed, but certainly not Jok. He is a shooter. I asked one of the national scouts- Jerry Meyer (I don't recall if he works for Rivals or Scout) on twitter what he thought of Jok, he basically said marginal player but good shooter.

He isn't athletic, the hope is he can become athletic, but he isn't there yet.

You are describing a player you wish existed, but certainly not Jok. He is a shooter. I asked one of the national scouts- Jerry Meyer (I don't recall if he works for Rivals or Scout) on twitter what he thought of Jok, he basically said marginal player but good shooter.

Well chit, if Jerry Meyer said it I'm sold. Anybody have Fran's # so we can eliminate this mistake before it ever happens?

Well chit, if Jerry Meyer said it I'm sold. Anybody have Fran's # so we can eliminate this mistake before it ever happens?

This is such a stupid tactic of debate.

I think Jok will eventually become a tall shooter off the bench, others are claiming he is more athletic than that. They are wrong.

This is such a stupid tactic of debate.

I think Jok will eventually become a tall shooter off the bench, others are claiming he is more athletic than that. They are wrong.

Just curious, as to have an opinion like that it would seem that you probably know his game pretty well, and know how high his ceiling is when he comes back to being fully healthy. Please elaborate as to why you feel he will only be a bench player his whole career?

I'm not sure if this Meyer guy has even seen Jok play, and if he has I wonder how healthy Jok was at the time. I do know that Fran has been following him for a long time. I do know that Fran has had time to assess his game pretty well, and has a good idea of how high his ceiling is when he gets healthy. I for one will trust Fran's judgement. You can trust Meyer, that is your choice.

Wrong! He missed the bunny about the 2:00 mark before getting the put back. That worries me! We can't having guys missing those shots, better pass on him.

Basketball players miss bunny all the times so pass on them all of them!!!!!!!! Gee whiz

Latest posts