Commitment Imminent?--Peter Jok?

This is good news...I like this a lot, Iowa still lacks shooting and if Peter is on board it gives Iowa another true shooting threat off the bench...if he regains all his movement and athleticism Fran has stolen another.

Lets not get crazy here. Before his injuries he had some serious potential. I really hope he overcomes his injuries, would love to see him make the best of his college career. Regardless the kid can shoot, as long as he can remain mobile, and not a complete liability on the defensive end he will be able to contribute at the D1 level.

I am not saying that Jok is anywhere near Parker now. Three years ago, Jok was being talked about in crazy terms. Better than Barnes at the same age? The Next Barnes? Can't miss. Those were being thrown around with regularity three years ago.

Here are a few links that are old, but illustrate the attention Jok was getting back then

NY2LASPORTS.COM - NEW TOP 100 CLASS OF 2013 PLAYER RANKINGS
Changing culture targets 2013 once again - City/Suburban Hoops Report

I've had zero conversations and have watched him play zero times but, ironically, this is the exact impression I got from this video.

I get that it was just a pick up game and the competition appeared, um, overmatched and equally lethargic but, just my impression. OTOH, he was stroking it with ease in a variety of ways -- stop-n-pop, cross over, step-back, drives both left & right, some post-up -- and was quick to creat space for a clean look. Maybe the intensity and elevation increase with the competition. (It will have to cuz some of those shots would be easily contested just on effort, alone.)

I've had zero conversations and have watched him play zero times but, ironically, this is the exact impression I got from this video.

I get that it was just a pick up game and the competition appeared, um, overmatched and equally lethargic but, just my impression.
OTOH, he was stroking it with ease in a variety of ways -- stop-n-pop, cross over, step-back, drives both left & right, some post-up -- and was quick to creat space for a clean look. Maybe the intensity and elevation increase with the competition. (It will have to cuz some of those shots would be easily contested just on effort, alone.)
For real? From a pick-up game?

Im sorry but Jok isn't lazy and he isn't lethargic. He played an entire year at around 70%and still managed to be a primary scorer by pretty much only shooting. His personality may come off that way but he will compete just as hard as any of our other guys.

With Jok, if he can't regain that athleticism which set him apart to go along with his perimeter game, he's a jump shooter from range Iowa has added..something they very much need

I would say Jok appears not overly fast/athletic, but he is fluid, which can be misconstrued as lethargic, because it almost looks effortless when they move.

He reminds me some of Georges Niang, although Niang plays more in the paint. But they both are fluid and have good body control, and don't impress you with speed, jumping or athleticism. All that matters however is production and Jok may very well produce because he does seem to be a great shooter.

Watching that video and others, I think that Peter's game,and body type bear a real resemblance to Harrison Barnes. Both are around 6'7'', long angular,good handles,but a bit stiff and mechanical, but beautiful shooting strokes from anywhere on the court. Barnes is probably more athletic,but Jok could get more explosive with better health.

I believe he is a good student also,so if Fran likes him...I am on board!

My buddy who has coached against him recently described him as "not impressive". But as others have said, if he can gain back his athleticism, maybe he will turn out to be a steal.

On the bright side, I find it highly unlikely that Fran would be giving him a scholarship based on his press clippings from 3 years ago. Iowa would have had ample opportunities to "go a different direction". If he is indeed the guy, Fran must believe the potential is still there based on what he's seen recently.

Does anyone know if there is videos of him out there pre-injury when he was getting all that hype? Would be interesting to see.

A few thoughts based on the video. When you watch it don't even look at what the competition is doing. What you can evaluate are the ball skills of the player. And they are high. He can dribble. He can shoot the 3. He can put the ball on the floor and shoot (the mid-range game is often forgotten). He has a back-to-the-basket game. He sees the open man in transition and is willing to pass the ball. My guess is he is an excellent FT shooter. Fran has proven he sees talent. Fran has proven he is a tireless worker. You can bet that he's seen him every chance he can. He's talked to everyone. Jok wouldn't be a diamond in the rough because of his past publicity, but what a diamond it would be. @bpiercehawks

My buddy who has coached against him recently described him as "not impressive". But as others have said, if he can gain back his athleticism, maybe he will turn out to be a steal.

On the bright side, I find it highly unlikely that Fran would be giving him a scholarship based on his press clippings from 3 years ago. Iowa would have had ample opportunities to "go a different direction". If he is indeed the guy, Fran must believe the potential is still there based on what he's seen recently.

Or maybe he's not that great, but he's the best we can get at this time. Iowa's not at a point where we can "Thanks but no thanks" too many recruits with potential.

A few thoughts based on the video. When you watch it don't even look at what the competition is doing. What you can evaluate are the ball skills of the player. And they are high. He can dribble. He can shoot the 3.

To me, this team needs more shooters from beyond the arc. It's hard to want to recruit someone who is one dimensional in that all they bring is sharp shooting skills, but you need that. At worst, I think Jok improves the team in this regard. I think it's worth one of your 13 rides to bring someone in whom people have raved about his shooting for a number of years. Then after that, anything else you get is a bonus.

I'm never concerned about other offers. Not with someone like Fran who can judge/evaluate talent. I remember that Fran was one of only a few coaches who offered Jimmer Fredette. (I realize he was a local kid, but talent is talent and Fran has spent some time in the gym watching basketball)

Latest posts