Bombshell Alford Article by Harty

Forgive me... but I don't know the origins of Hawk Central, but I do see the Register and the Press Citizen are behind this site. No way do they give the go ahead for this if the t's aren't crossed and the i's aren't dotted.

Forgive me... but I don't know the origins of Hawk Central, but I do see the Register and the Press Citizen are behind this site. No way do they give the go ahead for this if the t's aren't crossed and the i's aren't dotted.

Oh, I'm sure the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed. And after doing that, there is not one iota of evidence in the article that Coach Alford did anything wrong, even if we assume the facts therein as true. We don't even know he had evidence of PP's wrongdoing based on the article. I mean, we can see the author trying to pin the blame on Alford because he's obviously still butthurt over a nasty phone call he got from him 10 years ago (and we know the author thinks highly of himself ("It’s no secret to anyone that I’m not an Alford fan, and vice versa.") - yet my guess is Alford has no clue who this dude is today). We can also see that the author is trying to paint Coach Alford as "guilty by association" yet he puts forth no evidence that Coach Alford was made aware of the facts of this situation or had anything to do with the handling of it. Of course, those lacking analytical skills hop on board and blame Alford, even though the article doesn't say Alford did anything wrong.

In fact, I'd go so far to say that Mr. Harty was an unknowing accomplice. How so? Well, rather than going to the University Police or the Iowa City Police, he engaged in classic jock sniffer behavior of "well let's have the athletic department and coaches handle this issue" when it was, if the facts are as Mr. Harty puts forth, a criminal matter (trespass at a minimum, perhaps even kidnapping).

Seriously, people, if you know some jock has committed a serious crime, you go to the freaking cops. You DO NOT GO TO THE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT. The AD has a vested interest in winning games and putting butts in seats. That's it. They might give a song and dance about "student-athletes" and "integrity" and crap like that, but bottom line is they want strong football and basketball programs and if they have to steamroll some college aged gals to get there, they will.

How do you know Alford had knowledge of the situation outlined in the article?

If Lansing sent a letter he knew, but you probably think Harry made that up as well. Sorry I don't buy ignorance as an excuse but the athletic department at Iowa doesn't oversee its men's programs well...look at Alford and the football program for that.

If Lansing sent a letter he knew, but you probably think Harry made that up as well. Sorry I don't buy ignorance as an excuse but the athletic department at Iowa doesn't oversee its men's programs well...look at Alford and the football program for that.

Key word is "if" if you don't notice that's in bold. Any chance that letter surfaces? Or Lansing takes credit for having written and sent it?

Oh, I'm sure the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed. And after doing that, there is not one iota of evidence in the article that Coach Alford did anything wrong, even if we assume the facts therein as true. We don't even know he had evidence of PP's wrongdoing based on the article. I mean, we can see the author trying to pin the blame on Alford because he's obviously still butthurt over a nasty phone call he got from him 10 years ago (and we know the author thinks highly of himself ("It’s no secret to anyone that I’m not an Alford fan, and vice versa.") - yet my guess is Alford has no clue who this dude is today). We can also see that the author is trying to paint Coach Alford as "guilty by association" yet he puts forth no evidence that Coach Alford was made aware of the facts of this situation or had anything to do with the handling of it. Of course, those lacking analytical skills hop on board and blame Alford, even though the article doesn't say Alford did anything wrong.

In fact, I'd go so far to say that Mr. Harty was an unknowing accomplice. How so? Well, rather than going to the University Police or the Iowa City Police, he engaged in classic jock sniffer behavior of "well let's have the athletic department and coaches handle this issue" when it was, if the facts are as Mr. Harty puts forth, a criminal matter (trespass at a minimum, perhaps even kidnapping).

Seriously, people, if you know some jock has committed a serious crime, you go to the freaking cops. You DO NOT GO TO THE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT. The AD has a vested interest in winning games and putting butts in seats. That's it. They might give a song and dance about "student-athletes" and "integrity" and crap like that, but bottom line is they want strong football and basketball programs and if they have to steamroll some college aged gals to get there, they will.

I agree Counselor, but my argument was with those that were doubting the validity of Mr. Harty's statements. Nothing more, nothing less... take your obfuscation elsewhere.:p:cool:

Has Harty written any articles on the PSU fiasco in regards to the victims/Mike Mcquearys testimony and how they didn't go to the police and went through the "proper channels of the athletic department". I'm just curious....

don't know... but his beat is the Hawks, so not sure what difference that makes.
Well if he railed against McQueary like so many writers did for not having went to the authorities instead of the coaching staff (rightfully so) then wouldn't that make him look pretty bad right now because he didn't convince his brother, niece and family to actually report the crime to the police instead of going to the athletic department for some kind of justice?

So are you saying Alford has actual knowledge of every piece of correspondence his underlings sent?

I agree Counselor, but my argument was with those that were doubting the validity of Mr. Harty's statements. Nothing more, nothing less... take your obfuscation elsewhere.:p:cool:

Not aimed at you, brah, I assume the facts as all true. The facts say nothing as to Coach Alford's involvement in the matter.

Well if he railed against McQueary like so many writers did for not having went(gone) to the authorities instead of the coaching staff (rightfully so) then wouldn't that make him look pretty bad right now because he didn't convince his brother, niece and family to actually report the crime to the police instead of going to the athletic department for some kind of justice?
Fair point.... but I'm guessing when your own niece/brother ask you to sit on something.... you probably would do so, as opposed to what happened at PSU. Between a rock and a hard place, tough call.

Fair point.... but I'm guessing when your own niece/brother ask you to sit on something.... you probably would do so, as opposed to what happened at PSU. Between a rock and a hard place, tough call.
Totally agree it's a heck of a rock in a hard place. I would have certainly done what my niece and brother would have asked. I would hope that if (cause I honestly don't know if he did or not) he did rail against McQueary for that that he would have preficed it by saying and admitting as much. If he left that topic alone then he's in the clear on it.

So your standard has gone from "he did" to "he should?"

I answered your question. In a situation like this he should have and if he didn't ignorance is bliss...I know your love for SA so I will not discuss this with you. It is funny how people think Harry would lie about a family matter...unreal.

I answered your question. In a situation like this he should have and if he didn't ignorance is bliss...I know your love for SA so I will not discuss this with you. It is funny how people think Harry would lie about a family matter...unreal.

I don't think Harty is lying. I'm just asking what evidence there is that Coach Alford knew about the incident. I can readily discern from the article that Harty is still butthurt about a mean call he got from Alford 10 years ago, but I see no evidence Coach Alford knew about this matter. I believe that Harty called the SID. I believe the SID contacted at least Lansing and I believe the letter exists. I see nothing about how Alford is involved. If you can point me to the passage that implicates Coach Alford, I'll gladly look at it.

Clearly people just see what they want to and will believe what they want to. What he's reported there doesn't prove Alford knew anything about this. Or that this incident ever even happened. Even if it very well may have. I sure don't know I wasn't there. But what he is reporting wouldn't make it to trial. Did his niece not tell neighbors? She was screaming bloody murder it sounds like. So did no other neighboring kids come see what the h e l l was going on? Nobody else saw him running out of her room as she was screaming? Again people if you are in any type of situation where laws are being broken go to the police. Don't go to the athletic department hoping to receive some kind of justice. Harty writing this is pretty much just to pile on Alford when this can't even be tied to him necessarily. You have to have more then a letter (that he hasn't produced)written from Lansing to do that. This is Harty trying to kick Alford while the kicking is good. It's always been an easy thing to do. I'm sure Alford will give UCLA writers the same opportunity in some other kind of way.

Refresh my memory again, when was PP at Iowa?

Was there or was there not a lot of players getting in trouble around the same time in the football program and not a whole lot was done until law enforcement was involved?

The difference is that Ferentz didn't stand up and call accusers liars when Alford did. I honestly don't care that Harty hasn't produced a letter and quite frankly he doesn't need to. The facts are that once PP was accused he was backed by the Basketball Program with Alford being the talking head and he was not punished by the University. From what I gather from the article is this event took place before PP raped the one girl and subsequently was defended by Alford.

This is not an attempt to kick someone while he is good for the kicking, it is just an example of something that for all we know, given PP's history, that could have happened more. The other thing to consider here is that Harty waiting for quite a long time to tell this story, probably because his niece didn't want this story told. What is funny is that PP has been proven guilty, but yet people want to discredit Harty because "Alford didn't know." Here is the thing, this is one of those situations that people would have to take seriously, but it seems that it wasn't, but the culture at the University at the time was, we don't act unless Police were involved.

So could Alford not have know, yes because obviously the Athletic Department didn't take things seriously until PP was accused of rape. The letter from Lansing is another thing, why should he have to produce it? There are always situations that are ignored, but in hindsight become clear that something bigger was going on. This is not someone being vindictive, it is simply someone telling a story of an event that happened to a family member.

Here is how I am now looking at it. During the time this happened Alford easily could have thought he was doing things the correct way. But in hindsight anyone who is remotely a good person would say that they could have handled the situation differently. If he would just say I did what I was told but in hindsight I should have done things differently, I would give him the benefit of the doubt. But until he admits he messed up I will not accept what he says. Remorse for a mistake is what matters at this point and his arrogance that he was doing the right thing is what people dislike.

Here is how I am now looking at it. During the time this happened Alford easily could have thought he was doing things the correct way. But in hindsight anyone who is remotely a good person would say that they could have handled the situation differently. If he would just say I did what I was told but in hindsight I should have done things differently, I would give him the benefit of the doubt. But until he admits he messed up I will not accept what he says. Remorse for a mistake is what matters at this point and his arrogance that he was doing the right thing is what people dislike.

He will never admit mistake, just look at how he defended his player and subsequently, has the player ever admitted that he was wrong? He got essentially no punishment out of the deal, so why admit mistake, everyone got basically what they wanted, except for the victim, if it were a 15 yr old girl it would have been different, unfortunately.