Zeller so overated

Zeller is a very good player. Very coordinated for his height, good hands, good from the line. People think that centers have to score 25 points a night.

Getting 16 and 9 boards and what he alters on defense is huge....Woodbury is not a shot blocker at all and he impacts the game defenisvely when he is in there...more than I ever imagined.

The guy is an All-American without a doubt, do I think he gets too much credit for IU's resurgence, absolutely. Zeller is a player that is every bit as good or better than Tyler Hansbrough, you probably thought he was overrated too.

Have you watched any IU games when they haven't played Iowa? He can step out, but again, why do it if he is so effective at what he is doing? You can blame Crean for not showcasing all his talents, there really isn't a lot he can't do.

He is better than his brothers that are in the NBA and once he gets there will prove it. I think his game translates very well to the NBA as he is a lot more athletic than you think.

If he were a Hawkeye you would feel differently and if you say you wouldn't you are flat out lying.

Nah... not really

Zeller is a very good player. Very coordinated for his height, good hands, good from the line. People think that centers have to score 25 points a night.

Getting 16 and 9 boards and what he alters on defense is huge....Woodbury is not a shot blocker at all and he impacts the game defenisvely when he is in there...more than I ever imagined.

No I agree - very good

But POY? eh just never have seen it.

What he did today? A Dennis Green quote comes to me.

Didn't change anything one way or the other.

What did he do today? Pretty much owned us from start to finish. 19 points, 10 rebounds. Shut down Woodbury and got himto foul out. Pretty much forced us to play McCabe for 20 minutes, which certainly hurt us.

So besides dominating both ends of the court, he didn't really do much.

you seriouly think he dominated both end of the court today?

Were you watching the same game i was... he hardly played the first half

and you call my opinions laughable.... lol

No I agree - very good

But POY? eh just never have seen it.

Its like FOY last season, do you think he deserved it over Burke, I thought not as Burke totally changed UM from a mid-level team to contender.

I didn't say he was POY material either, but he easily can and probably will be an All-American.

You dismiss the fact that Zeller is not the focus of their offense and he hasn't been, they do not force the ball inside to him, he isn't asked to post up all the time. IU's offense is predicated on the dribble drive, if you watched Marquette when Crean was there it is no different today than when Dwayne Wade was there.

The big guys roam in space and hit the boards, Zeller is just better than any big man Crean has ever had.

Woodbury neutralized him pretty well the first half - i like how you swung that around to make it look diff than the reality of what it was though..

Its like FOY last season, do you think he deserved it over Burke, I thought not as Burke totally changed UM from a mid-level team to contender.

I didn't say he was POY material either, but he easily can and probably will be an All-American.

You dismiss the fact that Zeller is not the focus of their offense and he hasn't been, they do not force the ball inside to him, he isn't asked to post up all the time. IU's offense is predicated on the dribble drive, if you watched Marquette when Crean was there it is no different today than when Dwayne Wade was there.

The big guys roam in space and hit the boards, Zeller is just better than any big man Crean has ever had.

To me a POY player just has to be more dynamic - it is hard for a center to win

Zeller did not "own" Woodbury. In a 1 on 1 context he did not score against him. Does that make Zeller overrated? No. He is an advantage type player who finds gaps, runs the floors, and explodes to the rim. He beat McCabe in a 1 on 1 situation and that is it. It's ironic that A.White is being brought up, because Zeller could be described as a "rich man's" version of Whitey.
I was extremely impressed with Woodbury's fortitude and toughness guarding and rebounding with Zeller. I think he was playing SO hard that he didn't have the legs to convert his usually VERY reliable baby hook.
My opinion of Zeller remains unaltered: he is a heck of a player with a unique skill set. He'll be a tremendous pick and roll player at the NBA level.

Woodbury neutralized him pretty well the first half - i like how you swung that around to make it look diff than the reality of what it was though..

Yeah, so who cares that Zeller excelled his season averages in both points and rebounds and fouled Woodbury out. Woodbury totally handled him great though.

Ghost: you're going to have to work harder than that; a lot of his damage came against Gabe and McCabe.
Obviously, Woody didn't "handle him", but he represented himself well against an All-America.
Dackich said as much when Woody was reinserted with 3 minutes left.

What did he do today? Pretty much owned us from start to finish. 19 points, 10 rebounds. Shut down Woodbury and got himto foul out. Pretty much forced us to play McCabe for 20 minutes, which certainly hurt us.

Well, he didn't own us from start to finish. He only had 4 pts. at half and Woody held his own in that first half. He did start to school Woody in the second half. To other's points, dude is legit and not over-hyped. God forbid a center shoot point blank shots right? What do you want from the center position, three point shots. Zeller has alot of skills and he will be a very solid pro for many years.

I think the Basabe injury is what forced us to play McCabe 20 minutes, not necessarily four trouble with Woody?

Last edited:
Ghost: you're going to have to work harder than that; a lot of his damage came against Gabe and McCabe.
Obviously, Woody didn't "handle him", but he represented himself well against an All-America.
Dackich said as much when Woody was reinserted with 3 minutes left.

I'll agree with that assessment.

you seriouly think he dominated both end of the court today?

Were you watching the same game i was... he hardly played the first half

and you call my opinions laughable.... lol

He dominated the first 8 minutes of the second half and that was about it. He will still be a legit pro.

Ehh thats not what happened.

He had a good game didn't dominate anyone but McCabe and the only reason McCabe was in there was because Mel resprained his ankle.

I was actually quite surprised with how well Woodbury held his own on D, I though Zeller would be able to out quick him all day but I overestimated Zeller.

If anyone dominated that game overall it was Olidipo.

They don't post him up much because hes not a back to the basket player.

I don't get it - just make the guy shoot a jump shot

All I've ever seen him make is a pt blank shot.

Game will be a journeyman bench player in the NBA

Aaron White has more potential.

This could be one of the dumbest things I have EVER seen on this board.

Zeller did not "own" Woodbury. In a 1 on 1 context he did not score against him. Does that make Zeller overrated? No. He is an advantage type player who finds gaps, runs the floors, and explodes to the rim. He beat McCabe in a 1 on 1 situation and that is it. It's ironic that A.White is being brought up, because Zeller could be described as a "rich man's" version of Whitey.
I was extremely impressed with Woodbury's fortitude and toughness guarding and rebounding with Zeller. I think he was playing SO hard that he didn't have the legs to convert his usually VERY reliable baby hook.
My opinion of Zeller remains unaltered: he is a heck of a player with a unique skill set. He'll be a tremendous pick and roll player at the NBA level.

Yup that will be his niche. Hes not a post up player or a power player but he has great mobility and very good but not elite athleticism.

Hes a very good college player but not at all a dominant player like an Anthony Davis last year.

Yup that will be his niche. Hes not a post up player or a power player but he has great mobility and very good but not elite athleticism.

Hes a very good college player but not at all a dominant player like an Anthony Davis last year.

Pretty deep analysis there, Zeller is a better version of Tyler Hansbrough, Indiana just doesn't run everything through him like UNC did with Hansbrough.

Latest posts