Its OK

NCHawker

Preseason expectations were not realistic. Preseason expectations assumed the IOWA's opponents will have poor offenses as they did in 2023. This year that's just not the case. Iowa will have to play average or better offense to get to 10 wins. A passing game will be required.

This loss may shake them up. TL likely wishes he had a few calls back. Cade knows he can play better. KF probably would not chase points by going for two. Losses can bring benefit to a team.

If things don't change on offense Iowa will win 6 to 8 games. If there isn't a credible passing game, we'll see more overwhelming defense on the line of scrimmage as we've seen so far. We'll see more of the same.

Good news is the OLine is better, QB play while not so good is still better than Deacon Hill. Finally the WRs are better.

Na, no way, nope, not buying it. This isn't on unrealistic expectations. This is on a coaching staff led by a geriatric who time and time again has proven he doesn't have what it takes to close out games.

Maybe the unrealistic expectation is thinking after 25 years he would learn to stop playing not to lose.

F Ferentz.

Preseason expectations were not realistic. Preseason expectations assumed the IOWA's opponents will have poor offenses as they did in 2023. This year that's just not the case. Iowa will have to play average or better offense to get to 10 wins. A passing game will be required.

This loss may shake them up. TL likely wishes he had a few calls back. Cade knows he can play better. KF probably would not chase points by going for two. Losses can bring benefit to a team.

If things don't change on offense Iowa will win 6 to 8 games. If there isn't a credible passing game, we'll see more overwhelming defense on the line of scrimmage as we've seen so far. We'll see more of the same.

Good news is the OLine is better, QB play while not so good is still better than Deacon Hill. Finally the WRs are better.
When you have an elite-level defense returning, your entire OLine returning, perhaps the best RB room in program history -- I don't think expectations were unrealistic given the lightness of Iowa's schedule.
"Cade knows he can play better" is an odd think to suggest. In his head, maybe. In KF's head, maybe. But we didn't see it last year when he played. Coaches didn't see it during fall practices, for the most part. During the past 2 years he's started and completed 10 halves of football as Iowa QB, and underperformed in 9 of those halves -- the exception being the 2nd half last week vs Ill. State. 13-29 with 2 INTs yesterday vs a very average ISU team arguably isn't any better than Deacon Hill.
I didn't like the 2 pt attempt at 19-7 -- I turned to the fan sitting next to me and said "Bad idea...if we don't make it, the Clones can WIN with a TD and 2 FGs." With over 3 min remaining in the 3rd quarter, it was WAY too early to go for 2 pts then.

When you have an elite-level defense returning, your entire OLine returning, perhaps the best RB room in program history -- I don't think expectations were unrealistic given the lightness of Iowa's schedule.
"Cade knows he can play better" is an odd think to suggest. In his head, maybe. In KF's head, maybe. But we didn't see it last year when he played. Coaches didn't see it during fall practices, for the most part. During the past 2 years he's started and completed 10 halves of football as Iowa QB, and underperformed in 9 of those halves -- the exception being the 2nd half last week vs Ill. State. 13-29 with 2 INTs yesterday vs a very average ISU team arguably isn't any better than Deacon Hill.
I didn't like the 2 pt attempt at 19-7 -- I turned to the fan sitting next to me and said "Bad idea...if we don't make it, the Clones can WIN with a TD and 2 FGs." With over 3 min remaining in the 3rd quarter, it was WAY too early to go for 2 pts then.

Feel better venting like that? I didn’t yesterday. Your points are all legit. The fans at the game were cheering their guts out. A head coach who never seems to grow and learn from his mistakes. Why can’t he play like he is coming from behind instead of playing to just survive and squeeze by, by the skin of his teeth?

Should have been trying to move the ball on that last offensive series like his life depended on it.

Nope.

I don’t think 10-2 was unrealistic, given the schedule and 8 of 11 returning on defense.

Elite level defenses don’t give up 96 points to the three opponents you actually have a year ago. The defense is media hyped, but not in reality. Good, not great and certainly not great enough to overcome the most risk averse, vanilla offense outside the single wing era

Incredibly disappointing outcome against a good (not great) Iowa state team.

I think we are playing the wrong QB. I think the staff knew it before the season started. McNamara has no mobility, no poise, and no arm strength.

Time to make a change and try Sullivan. He is a much better athlete and he is healthy.

But it is not the Ferentz way, so I'm guessing we won't see him any time soon.

Incredibly disappointing outcome against a good (not great) Iowa state team.

I think we are playing the wrong QB. I think the staff knew it before the season started. McNamara has no mobility, no poise, and no arm strength.

Time to make a change and try Sullivan. He is a much better athlete and he is healthy.

But it is not the Ferentz way, so I'm guessing we won't see him any time soon.

We can all see the ceiling of this team with McNamara at QB. Heck, most of us saw it last week when Cade's stats looked good, but the eye-test was still lacking.

Maybe Sullivan represents a higher risk, higher reward choice? I think all of us would accept that risk in the hope of avoiding the inevitable mediocrity we see coming if we stay status-quo. If we swing and miss and end up 6-6, at least we will know that we took a swing.

Wasn’t really impressed with Sullivan based on what I saw at Northwestern. IMO, going from McNamara to Sullivan isn’t a huge upgrade. The passing game is a wreck and I don’t think either guy solves it.

Kirk is the problem, he’s still here so it’s not ok.

So what you’re saying is that longevity is not greatness?

I made a comment in another one of my post about people who are satisfied with eight and nine wins and how it’s better than five and six wins. Unfortunately we just lost to a five and six win program.

It’s a movie that we have all seen multiple times over twenty-five years, but we like the popcorn and soda drinks so we keep going back and watching the same damn movie.

What contributes to the problem is that it’s the only movie theater in town. Is this heaven? No it’s Iowa.

Good news is the OLine is better
No it wasn't. Most of those rushing yards came outside. a bunch of 4,5,6 year guys can't exert their will on two trips to the red zone against a d that's been on the field most of the half, playing 3rd string lb's and is built to stop the pass. Don't care how much they can bench if they have zero athleticism and no heart.

No it wasn't. Most of those rushing yards came outside. a bunch of 4,5,6 year guys can't exert their will on two trips to the red zone against a d that's been on the field most of the half, playing 3rd string lb's and is built to stop the pass. Don't care how much they can bench if they have zero athleticism and no heart.
I've said it year after year and I'll say it until i die. Doyle was the reason our o-line and d-line was almost always top tier.

I've said it year after year and I'll say it until i die. Doyle was the reason our o-line and d-line was almost always top tier.

The Iowa line had an all american most years. But the unit wasn't all that good. Can't think of a time when Iowa ranked top half of B1G in rushing during KFs tenure.

Last edited:
It's not OK.
It was obvious to everyone with a pulse, that the perennial worst-in-FBS Iowa offense needed a change.
After the ISU game I am not convinced much, if anything, has changed offensively.
The formations and schemes looked sadly familiar.
The play calls were predictable, stubborn and unimaginative.
Our OL could not win the LoS on multiple plays when only a few yards were needed.
Our passing game was ineffective at even keeping the defense honest, let alone actually making a play or two when needed.
This is the same stale Iowa scheme, unimaginative play calling and poor execution we have seen for years.
We might win 7 or 8 games this year.
Kirk will remind everyone of his winning record (against mediocre competition).
His apologizers will threaten a decline in the program if he leaves, unaware it's already happened.

It's not OK.
It was obvious to everyone with a pulse, that the perennial worst-in-FBS Iowa offense needed a change.
After the ISU game I am not convinced much, if anything, has changed offensively.
The formations and schemes looked sadly familiar.
The play calls were predictable, stubborn and unimaginative.
Our OL could not win the LoS on multiple plays when only a few yards were needed.
Our passing game was ineffective at even keeping the defense honest, let alone actually making a play or two when needed.
This is the same stale Iowa scheme, unimaginative play calling and poor execution we have seen for years.
We might win 7 or 8 games this year.
Kirk will remind everyone of his winning record (against mediocre competition).
His apologizers will threaten a decline in the program if he leaves, unaware it's already happened.
Ah, No

Latest posts