Zeller so overated

JFC. Herby redux.

If a guy is dominant in one area of his game, he can rely solely on that to have success at the college level. For Zeller, it's the free-roaming and using his athleticism to his advantage. For Jordan, it was slashing...until he lost a step and leaned more on his jump shot. It's a valid comparison when you're talking about how the college game works, and not about who is the better player.

It's not that Zeller CAN'T post up. He just doesn't have to in order to be successful, and there's no reason to do otherwise in Crean's system. But don't confuse inability and lack of necessity just because you can't grasp the concept of not having a good post up center post up all the time.

Dude, you don't know basketball.

That is one of the most absurd take I have ever seen...;)

I still find it funny that people think Oladipo is the best player on the team, I don't see teams scheming to take him out of their offensive game plan. Teams are okay with anyone but Zeller beating them.

Thought I would bring this thread up again tonight ... Olidipo goes #2 to Orlando and Zeller #4 to Charlotte in tonight's NBA draft.

Thought I would bring this thread up again tonight ... Olidipo goes #2 to Orlando and Zeller #4 to Charlotte in tonight's NBA draft.
Wow, that's pretty good. Remind me, how far did Indiana get in the tourney with 2 top five picks in the NBA draft?

Ok, you are talking about a player that was known for athleticism and defense; not really a threat offensively. He made the leap to a talk of being conference POY, that is not something that happens overnight, again we will see at the end of the season.

You cite two Iowa players in player improvement, but neither have made a transition like Oladipo, not sure it is just because he is a year older. Oladipo is a good player, no doubt, but Zeller impacts the game more. Teams do not want Zeller beating them, period. Oladipo is the main beneficiary, but I will reserve judgement until he plays more games in conference.

Also, better than Kentucky's guards...yeah, ok...maybe for a game, but really.

Serious question: How many Indiana games have you watched with Zeller?

Though Id bumb this. Oladipo > those Kentucky guards, when they played two years ago, now, and will be in the NBA.

Oladipo > Zeller

Though Id bumb this. Oladipo > those Kentucky guards, when they played two years ago, now, and will be in the NBA.

Oladipo > Zeller

Being drafted ahead of someone doesn't mean they are better. Look at Sam Bowie, darko milcic (sp), and many others. If you wanted a slashing wing oladipo was the best one. But zeller was being underrated by many in my opinion. I could end up being wrong but he should be very good.

Being drafted ahead of someone doesn't mean they are better. Look at Sam Bowie, darko milcic (sp), and many others. If you wanted a slashing wing oladipo was the best one. But zeller was being underrated by many in my opinion. I could end up being wrong but he should be very good.

I won't even try to project their NBA careers, but Oladipo was Indiana's best player this year and I don't think it was really all that close.

Oladipo has presence about him, he is just so laid back, nothing phases this dude, yet he has a great work ethic. I wish his offensive game was a little bit better, especially the mid-range game. He could easily have a 12 year career coming off the bench running the 2nd unit I just do not know if he can excel beyond that.

As for Zeller, he can run the floor and he is 7 foot tall, he is a hustle guy(tried to avoid the white dude stereotype), slightly better version of Ryan Bowen. Which ain't bad, 10-12 year career, flirting with qualifying for a pension, there are worse ways to make a living.

Oladipo has presence about him, he is just so laid back, nothing phases this dude, yet he has a great work ethic. I wish his offensive game was a little bit better, especially the mid-range game. He could easily have a 12 year career coming off the bench running the 2nd unit I just do not know if he can excel beyond that.

As for Zeller, he can run the floor and he is 7 foot tall, he is a hustle guy(tried to avoid the white dude stereotype), slightly better version of Ryan Bowen. Which ain't bad, 10-12 year career, flirting with qualifying for a pension, there are worse ways to make a living.

Honestly, I see him as a potential star, and Im guessing so did the team that drafted him that high. Definitely a starter sooner than latter.

He has that drive to succeed that you see in the best players. I have no doubt he will continue to improve.

I won't even try to project their NBA careers, but Oladipo was Indiana's best player this year and I don't think it was really all that close.

I still don't buy into that because people did what they could to stop Zeller and let someone, anyone else beat them see: NCAA tournament loss.
The skills that Zeller did show in the pre-draft camps with his shooting abilities he didn't show much at IU, but that was the style Crean played. Cody roamed in space and found the open spots and capitalized. His post moves are not polished and he needs to be able to extend his range because he has good ball handling skills.

Oladipo will be a good player, but is he a PG or Dwayne Wade? Right now, I would say neither, but he has the work ethic to be a very good player. His ability to create off the dribble will have to work early in his career as he is not a guy that shoots jumpers well off the move being a pure spot up guy.

Time will tell, but I will say this...Jordan is one of the biggest idiots and should not be allowed to have anything to do with an NBA franchise. He has to be one of the worst talent evaluator that there is. Nothing against Zeller, but Jordan will be heavily criticized for passing on McLemore and possibly Noel. I think Mike still thinks he is playing and anyone can play around him and look good...hey Mike, you don't play anymore and you are a disaster in the front office.

This gives you an idea of the sad state of charlotte basketball. people wanted noel or mclemore, but zeller I think makes more sense. adding noel to that frontcourt would only help to make it the most hilariously inept front line ever seen offensively, and apparently the front office is going to let Gerald Henderson finish out his contract so they went for a scoring 4 this year and they'll get a 2 next year. Of course all this discussion is about how bad zeller is... I hope you are all wrong.

Sorry for interjecting this bobcats talk here.. I wish they weren't so terrible.

At least Iowa Basketball is good now!

Unfortunately we probably have a bunch of posters who think Zeller is overrated solely because he played for Indiana and we all hate Indiana. Well I hate Indiana also. But to suggest Zeller sucks and is overrated is ridiculous. Give the kid some credit and his due. And then tell me everyone on this board wouldn't have killed to have the kid be a Hawkeye for 2 or 3 years. We would have all been saying he was the second coming if indeed he wore the black and gold.

Unfortunately we probably have a bunch of posters who think Zeller is overrated solely because he played for Indiana and we all hate Indiana. Well I hate Indiana also. But to suggest Zeller sucks and is overrated is ridiculous. Give the kid some credit and his due. And then tell me everyone on this board wouldn't have killed to have the kid be a Hawkeye for 2 or 3 years. We would have all been saying he was the second coming if indeed he wore the black and gold.

He was a little overrated. Not a lot, and he was certainly still an excellent player. But he wasn't as good as his billing.

He was a little overrated. Not a lot, and he was certainly still an excellent player. But he wasn't as good as his billing.

How about not overrated, but a media star.

Zeller was given all the credit for the Indiana turnaround, but Burke had more of an impact at Michigan than Zeller did, but he was the homegrown star.

Zeller was a player nobody wanted to have beat them. If you don't believe that just watch the difference between the way teams defended him as a freshman to his sophomore year. The NCAA tournament loss was the epitome of the drastic change that took place. The difference...look at who was on the opponents sideline...sad, but true.

Latest posts